Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

repiv posted:

It's pretty easy to revert to stock, just follow this: https://3ds.guide/uninstall-cfw

Oh excellent, yeah looking over the instructions this is like a fraction of the effort that I had to put in order to get CFW in there in the first place.

Thanks for the link!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

KingSlime posted:

Hmm I want to sell my new3ds XL running Luma. What's my best bet, find a way to wipe it to stock (if possible at all), update it to the latest cfw, or try selling it as is with all files intact?

I'm not really sure how one goes about posting homebrew'd consoles up for sale, or if that even is a thing outside of very specific internet corners...

I sure could use the $100 though

Why wouldn't you just sell it with Luma3DS?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I feel like that might muddle up the transaction, people are dumb

though yeah a CFW enabled 3DS is one amazing god drat device, if any goon wants to snap it up before I clear it of CFW later this weekend, feel free to holla

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You could charge more for it being hacked.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yes, people will pay a premium for illegal poo poo. It's unethical as gently caress, but if you load it up with a buncha poo poo, some other unethical person will pay extra. Don't do this.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I don't want reggie to burst through my apartment walls and pound me hard

he strikes me as a pound first, ask questions later kinda dude

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

KingSlime posted:

Just get Hungrybox on retainer as a bodyguard. He's 1-0 vs. Reggie.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Waltzing Along posted:

Yes, people will pay a premium for illegal poo poo. It's unethical as gently caress, but if you load it up with a buncha poo poo, some other unethical person will pay extra. Don't do this.

... or you just clean it out and leave it hacked and just state that it's been unlocked and that alone would warrant some people to pay more for it? It skips all teh steps of them finding a model that can be hacked (if that changes again in the future), then doing all the steps to hack it and risk (however miniscule that risk now is) bricking it.

That all being done already so it's ready to go with whatever would probably make a lot of people interested in paying more than $100 for it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Actually yeah that seems like a pretty clean and perfectly legal way to go about it. Might not even bother updating it to the latest one (b9h or whatever it's called)

I am going to tremendously miss SMTIV and SMTIVA but I already sunk my time into them, and am banking on Atlus shifting more titles over to Switch, what with SMTV being announced and EO5 being the last one with a "map on the bottom screen"

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

KingSlime posted:

He's more the "stand uncomfortably close and pointedly tell you how excited you should be for the Wii U's lineup" kind of guy

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
My actual new battery (long story) should be arriving today. I know installing it is easy, but should I fully charge it before using it (once it's installed)?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

My actual new battery (long story) should be arriving today. I know installing it is easy, but should I fully charge it before using it (once it's installed)?

Shouldn’t matter. You don’t really have to do that with modern batteries.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Haven't played my 3DS in a while and went to turn it on today. Battery was dead so I plugged it in and the blue power light turns on for a second and then turns back off, never actually turning the system on. Should I just let it charge up and try again later or what's goin on?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stan Taylor posted:

Haven't played my 3DS in a while and went to turn it on today. Battery was dead so I plugged it in and the blue power light turns on for a second and then turns back off, never actually turning the system on. Should I just let it charge up and try again later or what's goin on?

Let it charge and see what happens. May need a new battery if it still won’t work.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Selling a hacked unit isn't unethical and probably lawful (although DMCA circumvention stuff makes it fuzzy). What would be unethical would be to wipe it totally clean and sell it without disclosing that it was previously hacked.

I mean, obviously he shouldn't go out of his way to load additional ROMs on it, but I'd basically sell it as is after disclosing the state of it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is River City: Rival Showdown wordy as the intro is the whole game?

I'd like to know this as well.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Let it charge and see what happens. May need a new battery if it still won’t work.

Let it charge overnight and it was still doing this. Took the battery out for a few minutes, same thing. Battery out again for a few minutes and it worked. :toot:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

James Woods Fan posted:

I'd like to know this as well.

It doesn’t seem as good as Tokyo Rumble so far but I’ve only played a few hours.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

SelenicMartian posted:

Nintendo Switchblade.

perfect... the beautiful nintendo switchblade.. the pinnacle of portable blades..

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Looking to pick up a Euro New 3DS (not XL) in black but they're seemingly expensive and/or hard to find. Any leads for decent deals?

e: After a bit more looking around, the non-XL N3DS seems to be discontinued or something? :psyduck: What's the deal there? I'm really out of the loop on this stuff.

e2: Should I just go for the XL? The size of the smaller model is a big draw for me but it looks like I'll have to pay a premium if I insist on it, ugh

e3: okay I'm looking at picking up an Australian XL. Am I right to assume I can do a system transfer from my euro og 3ds to this new one?

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 5, 2017

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Does anyone know how the nail art function will work in Style Savvy: Styling Star? (a.k.a. New Style Boutique 3 –Styling Star-) Whether or not you can make your own nail designs is Very Important Information for my circle of friends that only occasionally plays video games. Also, does it only have one save slot, like usual?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Catalina posted:

Does anyone know how the nail art function will work in Style Savvy: Styling Star? (a.k.a. New Style Boutique 3 –Styling Star-) Whether or not you can make your own nail designs is Very Important Information for my circle of friends that only occasionally plays video games. Also, does it only have one save slot, like usual?

Here's a small mention from a review:

quote:

A new inclusion in that sense is the option to paint nails, but that was so limited that I barely bothered.

So I doubt it's that in-depth. Don't know about save slots but I would assume there's only one.

e: here's a screenshot where it looks like you just pick between a few sets for each style.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I still haven't played it but my understanding is that there's a bunch of presets that you can tweak slightly and that's pretty much it.

I think the demo includes nail customisation, is it available in NA?

On another note: '80s Overdrive, the Outrun-style indie racing game that was announced ages ago, is finally coming out today: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/80s-overdrive-3ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE68I8i2Y8A

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The demo is available in NA and I played it, I didn't find nail art options but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Thank you for the info, I'll pass that on!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah in the demo it was just basically another clothing or make-up you could put on. I think it was in the make-up section or near it?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The adult adventures in Pokemon Silver continue.

“We all use ghost type Pokemon here! Normal moves can’t hurt them!”
*Walks in with a Kadabra and one shots every single Pokemon including the gym leader’s.
“I lost? How could this possibly be?!”

*Team Rocket takes over a local landmark and start mutilating Slowpokes. Police are nowhere to be seen.*

*Team Rocket start a pirate radio station and begin violently interfering with the local ecosystem. Police are nowhere to be seen.*

*Team Rocket forcibly occupy the main radio transmission tower for the region and broadcast their pirate signal across the whole of Johto. Police are nowhere to be seen.*

*Police are in fact hanging out in local routes challenging children to battles.*

Considering the size and scope of this game no wonder I loved it so much as a kid. My 2DS is effectively a virtual console Pokemon Silver machine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The adult adventures in Pokemon Silver continue.

“We all use ghost type Pokemon here! Normal moves can’t hurt them!”
*Walks in with a Kadabra and one shots every single Pokemon including the gym leader’s.
“I lost? How could this possibly be?!”

*Team Rocket takes over a local landmark and start mutilating Slowpokes. Police are nowhere to be seen.*

*Team Rocket start a pirate radio station and begin violently interfering with the local ecosystem. Police are nowhere to be seen.*

*Team Rocket forcibly occupy the main radio transmission tower for the region and broadcast their pirate signal across the whole of Johto. Police are nowhere to be seen.*

*Police are in fact hanging out in local routes challenging children to battles.*

Considering the size and scope of this game no wonder I loved it so much as a kid. My 2DS is effectively a virtual console Pokemon Silver machine.

The Police are clearly challenge trainers to level up their pokemon, so they can go face Team Rocket. :pseudo:.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Because I am stupid with money, I bought one of the Link edition 2DS. Even though I have a MM N3DSXL as my main one, I keep a 2DS for travel and just play physical games on it in case it gets lost/stolen/damaged.

My question is, if I do a system transfer from my old 2DS, I should be able to re-download the pre-installed Ocarina of Time on my new 2DS without issue, correct?

I honestly on have demos and free games on my old 2DS, but I just want to use the Nintendo Network ID that is associated with the old 2DS on the new one, and apparently you have to do a system transfer and can't just log in on the new console.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's pretty much nothing coming until next year, so I thought I'd recap all the worth-a-drat 3DS games that came out this year. 2017 was... very rehash-y, it seems.

Dragon Quest 8
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns
Mario Sports Superstars
Fire Emblem Echoes
RPG Maker Fes
Ever Oasis
Miitopia
Hey! Pikmin
Monster Hunter Stories
Metroid Samus Returns
Yokai Watch 2 Crystal
Culdcept Revolt
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga DX
Layton's Mystery Journey
Etrian Odyssey 5
Fire Emblem Warriors
Pokemon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon
Kirby Battle Royale
Mario Party Top 100
New Style Savvy Boutique Styling Star
River City Rival Showdown

plus eShop stuff: the final Boxboy game, a couple Kirby spinoffs, another River City game, the Apollo Justice port, etc.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 10, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You forgot Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon which were also rehashy.

Is anything worthwhile coming next year other than the Radiant Historia remake? Another literal rehash.:lol:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is anything worthwhile coming next year other than the Radiant Historia remake? Another literal rehash.:lol:

The Strange Journey remake!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's pretty much nothing coming until next year, so I thought I'd recap all the worth-a-drat 3DS games that came out this year. 2017 was... very rehash-y, it seems.

Dragon Quest 8
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns
Mario Sports Superstars
Fire Emblem Echoes
RPG Maker Fes
Ever Oasis
Miitopia
Hey! Pikmin
Monster Hunter Stories
Metroid Samus Returns
Yokai Watch 2 Crystal
Culdcept Revolt
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga DX
Layton's Mystery Journey
Etrian Odyssey 5
Fire Emblem Warriors
Pokemon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon
Kirby Battle Royale
Mario Party Top 100
New Style Savvy Boutique Styling Star
River City Rival Showdown

plus eShop stuff: the final Boxboy game, a couple Kirby spinoffs, another River City game, the Apollo Justice port, etc.

There's also not exactly a lot of third-party content among that either. I would not be at all surprised to see Nintendo just take the 3DS out behind the barn next year.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Oh, duh.

Next year's noteworthy games: Radiant Historia remake, Strange Journey remake, Alliance Alive (followup to Legend of Legacy, way better received than the first one), a new Jake Hunter game... Nintendo still has to release that sushi puzzle game, that'll probably be an eShop thing.

Games that may or may not get localised: Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2, Persona Q2, one more Etrian game(?), that Dillon's Rolling Western game with all the Mad Max poo poo, Dragon Quest 11, more Level-5 crap

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I forgot about that Dillon’s Rolling Western game. I hope that gets localized since it looks rad as hell.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I just picked up Mario and Luigi superstar saga, and I forgot that they didn't put 3D in this one. Why did they not put 3D in one of the best-looking-in-3D series?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo usually springs a bunch of surprise announcements in January but I have no idea what they'd even drop for 3DS, it's pretty much tapped:

-a 2D Mario, a 3D Mario plus Mario Maker

-two new Pokemon generations, a remake, two Mystery Dungeon games and other spinoffs

-a new-ish 2D Zelda game and a multiplayer spinoff, two 3D Zelda ports plus Hyrule Warriors

-two new Kirby games, a multiplayer spinoff game and a bunch of downloadable spinoffs including a free-to-play game

-three-ish new Fire Emblem games and a crapload of DLC, plus Fire Emblem Warriors

-a 2D Metroid remake and some other game

-a real Animal Crossing game (that got a big content update) plus a spinoff

-a bad Yoshi game and a port of a better Yoshi game

-a Mario Kart game

-a Mario Tennis game, a Mario Golf game and a budget Mario sports compilation

-two original Mario Party games plus a best-of

-three new Mario RPGs plus a remake

-three Style Savvy games

-three Art Academy games

-a Rhythm Heaven best-of

-two mediocre-to-bad Chibi Robo spinoffs

-Tomodachi Life and Miitopia

plus one-offs like Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus, Hey! Pikmin, Codename Steam, etc as well as eShop games

There aren't a ton of franchises that aren't covered and I don't see them busting out a Wario or Advance Wars for 3DS in friggin' 2018.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 10, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mabels big day posted:

I just picked up Mario and Luigi superstar saga, and I forgot that they didn't put 3D in this one. Why did they not put 3D in one of the best-looking-in-3D series?

Most models of 3DS have been phased out and they're heavily pushing 2DS now, many of the games they put out this year don't have 3D.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Most models of 3DS have been phased out and they're heavily pushing 2DS now, many of the games they put out this year don't have 3D.

I, for one, am sad to see it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nintendo usually springs a bunch of surprise announcements in January but I have no idea what they'd even drop for 3DS, it's pretty much tapped:

-a 2D Mario, a 3D Mario plus Mario Maker

-two new Pokemon generations, a remake, two Mystery Dungeon games and other spinoffs

-a new-ish 2D Zelda game and a multiplayer spinoff, two 3D Zelda ports plus Hyrule Warriors

-two new Kirby games, a multiplayer spinoff game and a bunch of downloadable spinoffs including a free-to-play game

-three-ish new Fire Emblem games and a crapload of DLC, plus Fire Emblem Warriors

-a 2D Metroid remake and some other game

-a real Animal Crossing game (that got a big content update) plus a spinoff

-a bad Yoshi game and a port of a better Yoshi game

-a Mario Kart game

-a Mario Tennis game, a Mario Golf game and a budget Mario sports compilation

-two original Mario Party games plus a best-of

-three new Mario RPGs plus a remake

-three Style Savvy games

-three Art Academy games

-a Rhythm Heaven best-of

-two mediocre-to-bad Chibi Robo spinoffs

-Tomodachi Life and Miitopia

plus one-offs like Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus, Hey! Pikmin, etc, Codename Steam, etc as well as eShop games

There aren't a ton of franchises that aren't covered and I don't see them busting out a Wario or Advance Wars for 3DS in friggin' 2018.

Plus the thing's been hacked beyond any point of Nintendo being able to do anything about it.

The 3DS has quite possibly been the best system Nintendo has ever made, but its time is over.