Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Animal posted:

Can someone do a more thorough first impression on the X Raw Studio suite?
I'd love to try it but I somehow went from having approximately 47 of those USB cables pre-move to 0 post-move. So now I'm waiting on an Amazon Basics version to show up today.

I still think it's insane that they're basically just using a computer as a larger UI for the camera and using the camera as the RAW processor, but I'm looking forward to using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

rio posted:

You will see a huge difference obviously haha. I still wish I had my old x100 though. There was something about that camera that was just so good and even the later x-trans versions couldn’t quite capture what it had going on. That have their own strengths of course but I wish it hadn’t sold it. And n top of that, that was my gateway into Fuji and the camera that got me to stop shooting canon and sell all of that gear to switch 100%.

I went to immense trouble to get one of the first shipment cameras from New Zealand (lol, I live in Iceland) before the tsunami delayed the global roll out. I'm holding on to it in the hopes it might be worth something some day. Plus it will be nice to be able to rock both of them, X100 with the teleconverter and X100f without for a 35/50 setup.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

poopinmymouth posted:

lol, I'm going from X100 original.

The X100F was already a massive jump over the X100S which I found to be a huge jump over the original X100. Honestly it's almost too complicated at times, so be prepared to re-learn how to use the camera. The Acros and Classic Chrome simulations are tits.

rio posted:

You will see a huge difference obviously haha. I still wish I had my old x100 though. There was something about that camera that was just so good and even the later x-trans versions couldn’t quite capture what it had going on. That have their own strengths of course but I wish it hadn’t sold it. And n top of that, that was my gateway into Fuji and the camera that got me to stop shooting canon and sell all of that gear to switch 100%.

I loved the colour rendering of the original X100 which the X-trans sensors can't quite replicate, but the poor high ISO performance of the original was just extremely limiting to me.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Cacator posted:

, but the poor high ISO performance of the original was just extremely limiting to me.

Ok this is something I find kinda funny.

On the one hand, you're absolutely right. There are iso monsters which can shoot at iso 250,000 and make a moonlit beach appear like a bright sunny day. Comparatively, the OG X100 absolutely pales in comparison.

I bought the X100 a few months after it came out, and compared to my Canon 40D, whose ISO was a mess at 1600, in my mind the X100 will always be "good" in low light. Especially compared to what it replaced.

Now, my X-T1 kicks the pants off the X100 in low light. But I'll always have a chuckle whenever somebody calls the original X100 bad for any reason. I still have mine and occasionally shoot with it. I don't think I'll ever sell it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Rontalvos posted:

On the one hand, you're absolutely right. There are iso monsters which can shoot at iso 250,000 and make a moonlit beach appear like a bright sunny day. Comparatively, the OG X100 absolutely pales in comparison.

I bought the X100 a few months after it came out, and compared to my Canon 40D, whose ISO was a mess at 1600, in my mind the X100 will always be "good" in low light. Especially compared to what it replaced.

Now, my X-T1 kicks the pants off the X100 in low light. But I'll always have a chuckle whenever somebody calls the original X100 bad for any reason. I still have mine and occasionally shoot with it. I don't think I'll ever sell it.

Same experience. Even now in 2017 I consider the x100 a great high ISO camera, I don't hesitate to push to 12,800 at times (in post). The only cameras that noticeably trounce it are significantly larger, more expensive, or both. Even the x100f I read is only about one stop improved from online reviews.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Calling old camera bad at high ISO performance is kind of thing people do on reflex to justify new camera or phone purchase even though these is barely anything worth taking picture at in dim light.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The X100F doesn't have the blotchy look that the previous models did when shooting at 3200 or higher, that's my excuse. 12800 is perfectly usable out of the camera.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Rontalvos posted:

As someone whose camera progression went D70 (for 10 years) -> X100s -> X-T1, this is how I feel. The D70 was barely usable at 800. Everything released this decade seems ~*magical*~.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It’s hard to fault the original X100’s high iso performance when comparing it to older digital bodies, that’s for sure, and compared to film it is just crazy. It is cool being about to shoot 12800 without needing to worry about it on the X-T2 though. It doesn’t really matter though since I could just underexpose at a lower iso and raise exposure in post for similar results. ISOless sensors are neat.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Anyone have any experience with waterproof housings for the XT-2? I'm going on a boat trip and I am debating on bringing any camera other than a gopro... but I'd really like to get cool hiking around islands/beach/etc shots too.

I saw these: https://meikon.com.hk/collections/underwater-waterproof-camera-housing-case-for-fujifilm/x-t2 and then a bunch of housings that are > $1000

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

taco show posted:

Anyone have any experience with waterproof housings for the XT-2? I'm going on a boat trip and I am debating on bringing any camera other than a gopro... but I'd really like to get cool hiking around islands/beach/etc shots too.

I saw these: https://meikon.com.hk/collections/underwater-waterproof-camera-housing-case-for-fujifilm/x-t2 and then a bunch of housings that are > $1000

Are you asking this to protect the camera from sea spray and rain? Or to go diving/snorkeling with?

If the latter, I wouldn't trust that Meikon stuff. It just screams cheap, and there aren't any reviews on anything they sell. It could also just be lost in translation, but the warranty/return info seems a little sketchy. If you want to go snorkeling and such, there are some good underwater dedicated P&S cameras that would cost less than the Meikon housing and are well reviewed. The more recent Olympus Tough models shoot RAW and are f/2.0 on the wide end.

If you're just wanting to take shots while on the boat and want to avoid spray and rain, the XT2 is already a sealed body, and as long as you have a sealed lens you're good to go. Otherwise, things like those OPTech rainsleeves will be fine.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

If you're just wanting to take shots while on the boat and want to avoid spray and rain, the XT2 is already a sealed body, and as long as you have a sealed lens you're good to go. Otherwise, things like those OPTech rainsleeves will be fine.

Depends. If it's salt water, put it in a rain protector.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've had sealed bodies and lenses get drenched with salt water and they were perfectly fine after rinsing off with fresh once things were done

Granted, I don't know if Fuji has worse sealing than Oly's, but I've never heard complaints.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

I've had sealed bodies and lenses get drenched with salt water and they were perfectly fine after rinsing off with fresh once things were done

Granted, I don't know if Fuji has worse sealing than Oly's, but I've never heard complaints.

Only the lens coating worries me in salt water. But, I'm much more paranoid than is probably necessary. I hate getting small, almost invisible grit on a lens.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

torgeaux posted:

Only the lens coating worries me in salt water. But, I'm much more paranoid than is probably necessary. I hate getting small, almost invisible grit on a lens.

My only recommendation is to bring lots of lens wipes/cleaner with you -- especially if you are taking pictures of whales!

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Cool thanks! I'm planning on just using the gopro for diving/underwater but we're going to be doing a lot of hiking and visiting villages once we get to an island that I think I want my camera. I would be devastated if it ended up in the water but I'm not sure it's worth getting one of those housings vs just being really careful.

I just wish that pancake was WR.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're just worried about it going into the water while you're transporting it place to place that's a lot more straightforward and cheaper. You could get a good dry bag, pelican case, multiple zip lock bags, whatever. A seal line waterproof dry bag or similar will keep everything safe even if it gets submerged a bit and costs less than $50.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Buying an underwater enclosure just to keep the camera safe during transport sounds really silly to me. If there is actually serious concern that the camera could end up underwater (e.g. you're on a boat that has a non-miniscule chance of tossing people overboard or capsizing), then go with a dry bag. Otherwise just put the camera in your bag (maybe in a gallon ziplock if you're really worried) and don't be a dummy.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 7, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah a dry bag is a far better option for you than a housing

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

X100F is so ..... unggggggg *fist biting noise* can't really describe.

It took pouring through the manual to get a grip on all the improvements, but I'm really enoying it. I currently have it set to landscape preferences in Manual mode, and then child friendly face tracking and pre-AF in AF-S mode, seems to work really well. Everything is snappier, especially the wait from taking a photo to seeing the live view again. It's so fast I was confused if it took a photo or not, coming from the blackout on the X100.

Also I didn't think I'd like the picture in picture tiny tab in the OVF but in manual mode, having it show the center point already magnified, with the AF set to the AFL button?? just great, really helps nail the focus on what I am aiming for. Another nice surprise is in-body battery charging via USB. Anyone tried plugging it into a powerbank via USB to see if it still charges?

Wifi transfer to the phone is a little more complicated than I would like but still nifty and I think I'll be using it, especially on trips to post quick previews.

Also just loving the high ISO. this is 3200, uncropped, but with a 100% detail. Craziness!!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

poopinmymouth posted:

Anyone tried plugging it into a powerbank via USB to see if it still charges?
It’s USB. It’ll charge off of anything spitting out 5V on the correct pins: Anker wall chargers, power banks, etc.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

poopinmymouth posted:

X100F is so ..... unggggggg *fist biting noise* can't really describe.
I tried out the x100f not too long ago. The colours are amazing and the AF is fantastic. But my wife and I couldn't get over the tiny, awkward controls in it, especially the annoyingly-small focus ring. I don't even have large hands and felt like everything required tiny sweatshop hands to operate.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

melon cat posted:

I tried out the x100f not too long ago. The colours are amazing and the AF is fantastic. But my wife and I couldn't get over the tiny, awkward controls in it, especially the annoyingly-small focus ring. I don't even have large hands and felt like everything required tiny sweatshop hands to operate.

That's weird since I count being able to use the X100/f dials even with gloves on a big selling point since I live in Iceland. I'm also 6'3"/190cm and don't have tiny hands.

Never had a problem. Now trying to use any camera that relies on traditional buttons, like the 5D? that was impossible without de-gloving.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

poopinmymouth posted:

Never had a problem. Now trying to use any camera that relies on traditional buttons, like the 5D? that was impossible without de-gloving.
It's morbidly hilarious to imagine how a 5D would remove all the skin from your hand in one horrifying action.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kenny Logins posted:

It's morbidly hilarious to imagine how a 5D would remove all the skin from your hand in one horrifying action.

Just instinctively cringed then took off my wedding ring.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The x100f owns bones (until i can afford a gfx :getin:) and it will charge off any power bank. I do it all the time. I know the X-T2 also will, and probably the xpro2.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Well, I’m back. A few weeks ago I asked for recommendations for a camera that can do both video and stills competently well. The top suggestion was the GX85, which I was heavily considering. Work got in the way, so I had to pause any plans and in the interim I realized that I prefer video over stills.

With some more money in my pocket and a clearer idea of what I want to shoot, I did some additional research and ran into the a6500. From what I gather, it’s amazing for video, has IBIS, better lowlight performance than the GX85 (really important for me), and shoots good stills. Downsides are Sony’s lackluster lens support for their APS-C models, expensive lenses, and (I think I read about this here) their abandonment of older models once a new one is released, which seems often.

Good idea anyway or should I stick with one of the Panasonics?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I got an a5000 a few months ago and am now looking to get a fast prime for it, sony lenses are pretty pricey, and there aren't many of them- yeah adapter rings exist but I got a mirrorless because I wanted a small camera that'll fit in a pocket. When I was in the shop asking what they'd recommend (I was in a similar situation to you) they said either the Sony or a Panasonic. I went with the Sony for the sensor, low light performance even with the kit lens is pretty decent, I'd imagine the a6500 will leave it in the dirt though.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

[quote="“Butt Savage”" post="“479188479”"]
Well, I’m back. A few weeks ago I asked for recommendations for a camera that can do both video and stills competently well. The top suggestion was the GX85, which I was heavily considering. Work got in the way, so I had to pause any plans and in the interim I realized that I prefer video over stills.

With some more money in my pocket and a clearer idea of what I want to shoot, I did some additional research and ran into the a6500. From what I gather, it’s amazing for video, has IBIS, better lowlight performance than the GX85 (really important for me), and shoots good stills. Downsides are Sony’s lackluster lens support for their APS-C models, expensive lenses, and (I think I read about this here) their abandonment of older models once a new one is released, which seems often.

Good idea anyway or should I stick with one of the Panasonics?
[/quote]

You answered your own question essentially and that just leaves the question if you are ok with not a lot of lenses to choose from, expensive native E mount lenses and them releasing new bodies very frequently. The sensors are nothing to complain about of course - they do that well, and over m4/3 you will certainly see improvements between sensors.

From my own experience with Sony, those exact disadvantages are what got me to leave them. This was back in 2011 or 12 when I got an NEX5n. It was small, it had a good sensor and I was mostly adapting lenses since I couldn't get what I wanted that was native to E mount (like their only 24mm lens being like 1200 buck or something at the time and not having a native 35mm wide aperture lens, which they do now). My daughter uses that camera now and it still has good IQ but the interface was a pain, the menus were really bad and there were just a bunch of things they could have fixed but didn't, instead releasing a new body shortly after releasing the 5n.

With that said, I have an older photographer friend who has 2 a6000 bodies, one modded to shoot infrared and the other standard, and he does amazing work with them. He knows what he is doing and chose those bodies not out of ignorance but as a calculated decision and gets along well with them. They are capable bodies but the negatives were too big for me to want to stay with them and now that they were capitalizing on being the full frame mirrorless option they seem to care even less about APS-C lens lineups.

I don't do video at all because I am a pleb who just records myself playing music and I care more about the audio quality, but I have heard that Fuji is actually an option now for video. Maybe someone else can chime in on why or if that is true. I went from Sony to full frame Canon and then sold all of that to go to Fuji and if you were only talking about stills I would always recommend fuji but I just don't know about the video experience except hearing that Fuji Mae it a lot better (who knows what that means though because it was really bad before).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is the Fujifilm x100 a solid choice for a camera to toss in a sidepocket? They’re going for sub-£200 on eBay now, and it seems like a perfect thing to carry around every day.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

ijyt posted:

Is the Fujifilm x100 a solid choice for a camera to toss in a sidepocket? They’re going for sub-£200 on eBay now, and it seems like a perfect thing to carry around every day.

It was for me. I left it on spot focus on the center point and while it wasn't blazing fast it was much better after all of the updates than it was when I first got it. The Bayer sensor isn't as technically impressive as the trans sensors but it also has an awesome look that is different and something the trans sensors can't quite do. I didn't know they were so cheap now - I might have to buy one since I really miss that old camera.

Also I don't know if this is an issue now but when I got mine years back it was important to me to find one used that had already had the sticky aperture issue fixed or one that was produced after they had already addressed it. It has been long enough that I don't remember what serial number is the turning point to cameras that wouldn't have the sticky aperture issue but that info is on the web somewhere.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Side pocket as in side of a backpack?

Just watch out for the EVF/OVF switch, it can break off easily.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Noted, thanks for the info, I’ll keep an eye out!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm trying to sort out back button focusing for my a5000, can't find a guide for my model but loads for the 6000 series which I've followed to a T but the camera is still refocusing (well, attempting to) when I press the shutter? The button I've assigned is working for focusing just fine but even though I've turned AEL w/shutter off and disabled pre-af it's still trying to refocus as I hit the shutter. Doesn't seem to matter which focus mode I use either.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

NonzeroCircle posted:

I got an a5000 a few months ago and am now looking to get a fast prime for it, sony lenses are pretty pricey, and there aren't many of them- yeah adapter rings exist but I got a mirrorless because I wanted a small camera that'll fit in a pocket. When I was in the shop asking what they'd recommend (I was in a similar situation to you) they said either the Sony or a Panasonic. I went with the Sony for the sensor, low light performance even with the kit lens is pretty decent, I'd imagine the a6500 will leave it in the dirt though.

What focal length do you want?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm not totally sure at the moment, I do mostly landscapes with some gig photography, which I want to do more of, generally local bands in small venues. The kit lens goes to 16mm but it's max aperture is 3.5, which means higher ISOs in lower light if I want to keep stuff sharp. I'm looking at primes because I'm generally happy with zooming with my feet, and also the 20mp sensor lets you get away with some super generous cropping in post.
A dumb question just to confirm, I gotta do the x1.5 maths to get equivalent focal lengths on lenses as it's an APS-C so a 22mm is equivalent to 35mm (give or take) on a full frame?

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 11, 2017

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

rio posted:

You answered your own question essentially and that just leaves the question if you are ok with not a lot of lenses to choose from, expensive native E mount lenses and them releasing new bodies very frequently. The sensors are nothing to complain about of course - they do that well, and over m4/3 you will certainly see improvements between sensors.

Yeah, the lens question ultimately comes down to how good I get at this stuff and how much further I’d like to take it. This would be my first “real” camera, after all. I guess I could do alright with just two lenses initially (zoom and prime). And some lenses are better for video than others, apparently? I really don’t see myself going beyond 3 down the road. But what worries me most is the possibility of Sony just abandoning this model for the next. Your example of them refusing to fix things through something like a firmware update to push you towards the next model is unacceptable. Which is a shame, because the a6500 seems like an amazing camera.

And it seems that Sony has yet to unfuck their menus, but I guess that’s a small price to pay for the performance of the overall package.

Speaking of Fuji, someone else mentioned the X-E3 which also has an APS-C sensor. Obviously it won’t have the same video options/capabilities as the Sony or Panasonic, but for a starter like me, maybe it’ll be good enough? Gotta do some more research.

NonzeroCircle posted:

From what I’ve been reading, people are generally happy with their Sony’s, but feel gouged by the cost of lenses. This is definitely a tough decision.

Butt Savage fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 11, 2017

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If you were seriously considering a gx-85 and your budget got slightly larger, then just get the G85 and enjoy cheap lenses and a good menu system.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm not totally sure at the moment, I do mostly landscapes with some gig photography, which I want to do more of, generally local bands in small venues. The kit lens goes to 16mm but it's max aperture is 3.5, which means higher ISOs in lower light if I want to keep stuff sharp. I'm looking at primes because I'm generally happy with zooming with my feet, and also the 20mp sensor lets you get away with some super generous cropping in post.
A dumb question just to confirm, I gotta do the x1.5 maths to get equivalent focal lengths on lenses as it's an APS-C so a 22mm is equivalent to 35mm (give or take) on a full frame?

You have a lot of options, it depends on what you really want to do.

I would highly recommend looking at the Dyxum lens database. http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/results.asp?chbLensType=1 and set it to E-mount. It will show you all possible lenses available, with links to reviews as well.

If you're OK with manual focus you can get several good options on the cheap in native mount.

If you want AF, the new Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN seems like it's right up your alley if you want a 24mm equivalent, and it's relatively affordable at $449. It's getting good reviews for image quality, so you should definitely check it out. Sony is rumored to be making a new 16mm prime but it ain't out yet and probably won't be until sometime next year. The Zeiss Batis 18mm is an excellent lens but you'd be paying $1500 for it.

A little wider is the Samyang 14mm f/2.8. At $279 it is the cheapest of all the options, but it's not as bright as the Sigma.

If you want something less wide, the 24mm Zeiss on APS-C is always a good choice, but it isn't cheap (around $1K). The 28mm f/2 is a little narrower but more than half the price at $424. There's also the 20mm f/2.8, but that may not be bright enough (and also it's a pancake which means some compromise).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Mmmmmm, ISO 4,000

3 image stitch, taken through a fence, while standing on a guard rail, car idling behind me in a parking lot. The ability to have the x100F with me at all times without weight/size penalty of a dslr, but achieving the IQ of one... yes maam.