Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Grey Fox posted:

About the cook... I tracked him to an escape pod and he was all pathetic and trying to figure out to launch the pod. I disarmed a trap next to him and he switched tones, starts laughing, says stuff about us being over, and just DIES.

Did I break some scripting or does it just...do that?

He is supposed to blow himself up with the bomb you disarmed I think. I dunno.

Ideal outcome of that quest is shooting him in the face the moment in the kitchen after he opens the door for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, he blows himself up with a recycler charge normally. I had recycler charge immunity from a suit upgrade and had just sort of ignored most of his traps, including one right outside his pod, so when he's giving a speech to me about how he's going to kill both of us with another charge... yeah, I wasn't impressed. He could have thought that plan through a little better.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’ve never seen any of this because I just stunned his rear end when I got in there since it was obvious what his deal was

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

GlyphGryph posted:

Ideal outcome of that quest is shooting him in the face the moment in the kitchen after he opens the door for you.

Yea I played along and got trapped the first time despite "fat and eastern European" setting off my sinister sense pretty hard.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's a lovely bit of quest design that he seems like such a suspicious character but there's nothing you can pin directly on him, at least not right away. Then the clues start to add up, but the quest log never goes NOW KILL THE FAKE COOK. For me the Ah-ha! moment was when I found the real cook's audio log and he had a very different voice; I played along with the fake anyway to see where it lead, and it was a good quest let down by the ending. His rationale for using recycler charges was especially poignant, I thought.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

aniviron posted:

It's a lovely bit of quest design that he seems like such a suspicious character but there's nothing you can pin directly on him, at least not right away. Then the clues start to add up, but the quest log never goes NOW KILL THE FAKE COOK. For me the Ah-ha! moment was when I found the real cook's audio log and he had a very different voice; I played along with the fake anyway to see where it lead, and it was a good quest let down by the ending. His rationale for using recycler charges was especially poignant, I thought.
There are a bunch of hints about him being a fake; off the top of my head, the first one is the volunteer you can save in Psychotronics mentioning another volunteer coming through and wrenching people while yelling about "black eggs". The "cook" refers to mind-controlled people as having "black eggs" in their heads when you get into Crew Quarters.

Oh, and he straight-up doesn't know who Morgan is, so lmao.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

You see several damning pieces of evidence in quick succession. They made that guy too obvious

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ThomasPaine posted:

Wow, I thought the sound direction was flawless but then I absolutely love synthwave.

The music is cool but imo hurts the experience. Partly because it shifts in dangerous situations, partly because the ambient noise of the station kicks rear end.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

GulagDolls posted:

You see several damning pieces of evidence in quick succession. They made that guy too obvious

It's relatively easy to figure out he's not the real cook if you're paying attention, but there's still another big leap from "this guy isn't the real cook" to "therefore I should just shoot him without hearing anything he says or figuring out what his deal is".

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It’s a really good quest precisely bc it leans on what every game that isn’t an immersive sim trains players about sequencing. Every other kind of game tends to treat the player as a spectator watching an interactive film, such that even when the player susses out an upcoming betrayal or twist, there’s no way to act on that suspicion until the plot catches the character up to what the player already knows.

Prey plays a trick on players because just about every one of them is going to catch that the cook’s not on the level, but a significant portion of those players are going to walk straight into the trap anyway (I know I did), because as a rule, games go haywire when you haul off and attack a quest giver. They make it 100% obvious and people still walk into it.

It’s just a little tribute to that handful of scenes in Deus Ex that made that game so legendary. It’s not quite on the level of saying “gently caress it” and saving Paul after 6 years of letting him die, but it reminds players to pay attention.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The best way to end that quest is to just press the close door button for the pod and then casually tossing in a recycler grenades before it closes and then just walk away.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

hampig posted:

It's relatively easy to figure out he's not the real cook if you're paying attention, but there's still another big leap from "this guy isn't the real cook" to "therefore I should just shoot him without hearing anything he says or figuring out what his deal is".

You're also told ahead of time that there's a murderous Russian on the loose. I zapped him when he asked me to go intro the freezer.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Vakal posted:

The best way to end that quest is to just press the close door button for the pod and then casually tossing in a recycler grenades before it closes and then just walk away.

I shocked him unconscious, then when the lady told me he murdered her girlfriend I went back and executed him in cold blood.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is it just me being lovely at games or is this game really hard? Playing at normal difficulty, I'm getting absolutely murdered by enemies like Phantoms to the point where I almost feel like I must be missing something in how to effectively fight them.

I've got to the arboretum and cleared the elevator to get back down to the lobby, but I seem to be hitting a wall where I'm running out of ammo, psi hypos and health packs.

Where's the easiest recycler / replicator station area to get back to that hasn't been re-populated with enemies that will completely murder you?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Don't just plain fight enemies like you do in your usual FPS. Be smart: scout ahead, pay attention to the environment and think of how you can take advantage of it (throw propane tanks like it's going out of style for example), sneak up on and ambush enemies rather than charging at them, have an escape plan in mind if an encounter seems a bit too hot, and consider that you don't need to kill all the enemies. If you can just slip past a baddie or use vents or locking doors to break contact then you've saved ammo or health.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pharmaskittle posted:

I shocked him unconscious, then when the lady told me he murdered her girlfriend I went back and executed him in cold blood. dropped him in front of a Phantom whoops

Not my kill!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Entropic posted:

Is it just me being lovely at games or is this game really hard? Playing at normal difficulty, I'm getting absolutely murdered by enemies like Phantoms to the point where I almost feel like I must be missing something in how to effectively fight them.

I've got to the arboretum and cleared the elevator to get back down to the lobby, but I seem to be hitting a wall where I'm running out of ammo, psi hypos and health packs.

Where's the easiest recycler / replicator station area to get back to that hasn't been re-populated with enemies that will completely murder you?

What difficulty level are you on?

If you're in the arboretum, there's a recycler + replicator right where you entered in the arboretum for the first time, near the entrance back to the GUTS. If you're walking out of the elevator, take the path to your right

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Entropic posted:

In addition to the things the other posters have said, the game is just difficult at first. It's not too tough to become a murdergod by the end of the game, but before you get rolling, most enemies are legitimately dangerous and you should not feel bad about avoiding them or just running away.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pharmaskittle posted:

I shocked him unconscious, then when the lady told me he murdered her girlfriend I went back and executed him in cold blood.

Resurrect him as a phantom buddy :gibs:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Entropic posted:

I think that one of the tricks to Prey is realizing that the stun gun is a weapon of mass destruction. It will straight up murder certain enemies, or lock down others long enough for you to beat them to death with a wrench while you take zero damage.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

hampig posted:

Yeah, this. I also liked his insane rambling over the radio and his little traps showing up in previously-cleared areas. It was real good up until the end.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

I think that one of the tricks to Prey is realizing that the stun gun is a weapon of mass destruction. It will straight up murder certain enemies, or lock down others long enough for you to beat them to death with a wrench while you take zero damage.
Yes, unconditionally. If you are having trouble with the combat, you aren't using the stun gun enough. One phantom just becomes something for you to beat on with basically no ammo loss. Two phantoms can usually both be stunned from stealth, giving you time to kill one before the other becomes un-stunned. Technopaths, turrets, and operators take significant bonus damage from them. It somehow provides crowd control, bonus damage to anything its stunned, and can do some excellent damage in its own right depending on the target. Its main weakness is the charge-up time, which can be mitigated with stealth and eventually almost completely negated by weapon upgrades.

Use the stun gun.

Entropic posted:

It is hard at first, for several reasons. You definitely shouldn't fight enemies head-on at first. Avoid them, use the environment, and ambush them. Its not really an action FPS until much later. How are you generally fighting phantoms? What are you using as your weapons?

Besides my eternal love for the stun gun, remember that the shotgun is very much a videogame shotgun: you basically should treat it like a much harder-hitting version of your wrench as far as engagement range goes. The pistol is decent but can burn through ammo very quickly. Try to minimize ammo usage as much as possible by using the environment: if a phantom walks right past an explosive or flammable object, igniting it usually does a lot more damage than shooting it, especially with a pistol. You do bonus damage attacking stunned enemies, psychoshocked enemies, GLOO'd enemies, disguised mimics, and when attacking from stealth. Bonus damage means less ammo expended, which means more resources for upgrading yourself, which means more damage. Its also probably worth picking up at least one point in the ability to move large objects: at one point, you throw explosive cylinders hard enough that they detonate on impact, which really fucks up phantoms. It won't help in every fight, but it will easily pay for itself if you pay attention to what is around you.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It's important to note that upgrading the stun gun's "magazine" size actually increases its ammo efficiency. You get more shots per full reload because you're actually using less per shot.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.
Most enemies are designed to exploit players panicking. Mimics bob and weave, so swinging the wrench wildly is much worse than charging a swing while you close the gap. The shotgun damage dropoff is horrible, and backpedalling even a couple meters cuts your damage in half or more. Meanwhile, a shotgun stealth attack at point blank can eventually oneshot phantoms or ragdoll them to get wrenched.

Feel free to quicksave/load every 15 seconds, too. Hope you installed on an SSD!

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Caffeine IV posted:

Feel free to quicksave/load every 15 seconds, too. Hope you installed on an SSD!

Fair enough, since it's there, but multiple times throughout this game I remarked on how save-scumming really detracts from the experience. The game is already perfectly set up for a death system that is integrated into the game, not only is the player base ready for it with souls games being so popular, but there's already precedent from System Shock 2, and on top of that the whole thing is a simulation!

hampig fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 4, 2017

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Entropic posted:

Conserve resources.

Never fight something without stunning/disabling it and never fight without an advantage, especially multiple enemies.

Stealth really helps but you don’t necessarily need the upgrades to make it work.

Psychoscope everything you fight to find out how to stun or disable it.

Explore a lot to find alternate paths. There are almost always multiple ways into a room (this is why upgrades for stealth arent absolutely necessary). There’s a lot of verticality to almost every area.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 4, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So I ended up just restarting and having a much easier time of it now that I had some idea of what I was doing. Probably didn’t help that the last few FPSs I played through were DOOM and the Wolfenstein games.

The main difference was being way more focused in my Neuromod use, going for stealth damage and weapon upgrade perks, and upgrading the hell out of the shotgun so that most Phantoms are new easy pickings.

Now the main gameplay bottleneck seems to be acquiring enough Mineral resource to fabricate ammo and neuromods.

How does one make best use of the recycler grenades? It doesn’t seem obvious which enemies they hurt by how much or if I’m supposed to be throwing them at stacks of inanimate objects just to generate resources. They never seem to provide much and it’s a crapshoot which objects they pull in. The main use I found for them was nuking heavy objects blocking access ways before I got the Leverage perk.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Entropic posted:

So I ended up just restarting and having a much easier time of it now that I had some idea of what I was doing. Probably didn’t help that the last few FPSs I played through were DOOM and the Wolfenstein games.

The main difference was being way more focused in my Neuromod use, going for stealth damage and weapon upgrade perks, and upgrading the hell out of the shotgun so that most Phantoms are new easy pickings.

Now the main gameplay bottleneck seems to be acquiring enough Mineral resource to fabricate ammo and neuromods.

How does one make best use of the recycler grenades? It doesn’t seem obvious which enemies they hurt by how much or if I’m supposed to be throwing them at stacks of inanimate objects just to generate resources. They never seem to provide much and it’s a crapshoot which objects they pull in. The main use I found for them was nuking heavy objects blocking access ways before I got the Leverage perk.

Use them with a typhon lure or pile up junk to recycle. Also, psy hypos are incredibly abundant so it’s not a bad idea to recycle those. Also also recycle any extra weapons/food you find everything.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is it worth it to skip typhon powers entirely to focus on a straight weapons build? Are there any typhon powers that should be considered essential? The mimic stuff seems kind of gimmicky and not obviously useful. Are the energy attacks effective or should I just stick to shotgunning Phantoms in the back?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Use Recycler Grenades the same way you'd use a frag grenade in another game. The resource generation is minor, will not cover the cost of the grenade itself, and is not intended to be their main use. They combo well with the lure, as well as being a good panic button when you get a bunch of tiny mimics around and are having trouble keeping track of all the individual targets.

Entropic posted:

Is it worth it to skip typhon powers entirely to focus on a straight weapons build? Are there any typhon powers that should be considered essential? The mimic stuff seems kind of gimmicky and not obviously useful. Are the energy attacks effective or should I just stick to shotgunning Phantoms in the back?

The power that disables enemy superpowers is really good, as is Mimic. Higher levels of Mimic let you turn into an operator and just fly around in the open completely unopposed by enemies. Fun fact, technopaths need access to their superpowers to fly, so disabling those with a nullwave grenade or the typhon power will send them crashing to the ground, potentially even instakilling them from fall damage.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 4, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Typhon powers are great and you should listen to your chill brother

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Digirat posted:

Typhon powers are great and you should listen to your chill brother

At the point I’m at in the game now I currently trust Alex only slightly more than the “chef” I just met.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Recycler grenades are worth using on a pile of 4 or 5 operators, they give a lot of bang for the buck. Also heavy objects if you don't have leverage (as already mentioned) and radioactive waste if you don't feel like dodging it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GlyphGryph posted:

I just stun-gunned him and locked him in the freezer. Seemed appropriate.

The best way to realize what’s going on in that quest (if you don’t figure it out from visiting the chefs quarters) is to look up the chef’s name in a security terminal to find where his tracking bracelet is...

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Entropic posted:

All the aimable energy typhon powers basically stop time while you aim them and they 2-3 shot stuff when comboed. The resistances are also great, summoning phantoms is great. The wonderful thing about this game is when a power looks cool to use, it usually is.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Entropic posted:

Psychoshock is gamebreakingly powerful. You nullify basically every Typhon ability including projectile attacks, can insta-kill technopaths sometimes (if the stun gun wasn't enough for you), strip weavers of their shields, do pretty good damage in general, and it applies a +damage debuff to enemies too. Its a reliable, easy-to-aim, relatively psi-cheap, single-target Nullwave grenade on a cooldown, basically. The other powers are probably more fun, but Psychoshock is the standout dominating Typhon power because of how reliable and effective it is.

e: Oh and for good measure it unlocks Mindjack, which lets you temporarily mindcontrol most Typhon and safely free mind-controlled humans if you don't want to stun-gun them for some reason.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 4, 2017

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I got this on sale and a fire dude keeps killing me over and over, it's scary. I guess I'll run away and do something else, games pretty cool so far.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I only really used recyclers as utility to clear debris for my leverageless baby arms or get rid of radioactive material but you can pretty much treat them as extremely advanced hand grenades or proximity mines if you feel like it

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I voted for Prey as best action game:

http://thegameawards.com/awards/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Entropic posted:

Get the perk that gives you better recycler yields, if you haven't. It makes a huge difference. If taken early on, it pays for itself many times over in the number of new neuromods it lets you make.