Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
A triple double is when you grab three pairs of nuts in the same match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

lightpole posted:

A triple double is when you grab three pairs of nuts in the same match.

Does it have to be on the same team?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Only during a power play

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

oh god i'm going back to grad school again i must have lost my loving mind

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Grad school has been a joke in the fact that the curve is so strong I would literally have to stop showing up to class or turning in assignments to get less than a B. What the gently caress is up with that?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
lmao why are you going again

are you changing fields or getting an mba

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i didn't really "go" the first time in that my first semester coincided with the worst of my personal troubles and got shelved. this is take two.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
oh rip

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

i didn't really "go" the first time in that my first semester coincided with the worst of my personal troubles and got shelved. this is take two.

mmm my first semester of Law School has been pretty close to this. Fortunately being a Nuke prepared me for loving hating life while plugging away learning a new subject. Things are looking up though: soon I'll be snowboarding for a month straight

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Story time!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

Story time!

Not much of a story. I was an alcoholic about a month shy of my first hospital stay. Gave up on the program after a couple weeks. Now that I have some distance from that I'm trying a different program at a different school.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
UCONN college republicans (A very small group here) had a thing. Girl stole the dudes speech about why its good to be white. He ran after her and swung at her. A bunch of people I know were in the room, and it turns out there was an a proudboy nazi there. He got arrested and the alt-right people freaked out a little.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/935739926041300999

I think I spyed my one eye'd EOD vet friend in the video too, but haven't got confirmation.

Idiots trying their poo poo on liberal campus's, smart move.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

UCONN college republicans (A very small group here) had a thing. Girl stole the dudes speech about why its good to be white. He ran after her and swung at her. A bunch of people I know were in the room, and it turns out there was an a proudboy nazi there. He got arrested and the alt-right people freaked out a little.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/935739926041300999

I think I spyed my one eye'd EOD vet friend in the video too, but haven't got confirmation.

Idiots trying their poo poo on liberal campus's, smart move.

They do it on liberal campuses because it totally fits their narrative they are trying to push painting themselves as a brutally oppressed minority who just wants to be heard but those violent liberals shut down their free speech.

A few good events like that and he will be living off donations and ad revenue forever. Maybe even get a white house gig

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Can anyone help?

I'm on Voc Rehab. Going to school and receiving $600/month; sweet! Just read that I can apply for and receive the P911 compensation rate while on VR which is $1700/mo.

Q1. Is this true?

Q2. If this is true, does it reduce the P911 benefit?

Q3. Read that we are capped at 48 months of combined benefits. So if true, why am I slumming on VR when I could be nearly tripling my $ on P911?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Why 600 only? Why is there a change of rate (there shouldn’t be I think).

The rate is based on the physical location of your school (like BAH) and you get paid by how many “days of work” in a month. School takes off all thanksgiving week? That’s a week of zero dollars.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Soulex posted:

Why 600 only? Why is there a change of rate (there shouldn’t be I think).

The rate is based on the physical location of your school (like BAH) and you get paid by how many “days of work” in a month. School takes off all thanksgiving week? That’s a week of zero dollars.

I don't think that's correct about Thanksgiving. I believe you get all the BAH as long as school is in session and only not paid if you're between semesters.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Grem posted:

I don't think that's correct about Thanksgiving. I believe you get all the BAH as long as school is in session and only not paid if you're between semesters.

II meant to exclude the national holiday. So even then you are still missing days. And according to my Voc Rehab counselor, it used to be like that until people kept abusing it. Now it’s difficult.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's whatever your certifying official at school puts in the system. 99% of the time you plug in [start date of classes] to [end date of classes] and leave it be.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
out of curiosity, how strict have your professors been about citations on rough drafts?

several of us in my accounting class got minor infractions for plagiarism because we didn't properly cite the FASB codification in a rough draft. our logic (which backfired, obviously) was that since there isn't much guidance on how to cite the codification, we would turn the rough draft in to see if our content was good and in the meantime learn how to do it (or seek out a tutor who knows how to do it) to make sure it's done properly.

E: I'm not saying I was in the right here. It was absolutely plagiarism from my professor's point of view. I'm just curious in general about strictness on rough drafts.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 4, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I always cite as I write as it's a pain in the rear end otherwise and there's no reason not to. Opened up a paper I turned in last Friday but got an extra week on and the first citation I had left to cite later and never did so. Now I don't even remember where I pulled it from.

As far as plagiarism on a rough, I don't know but the stronger case is to err on the side of caution. My business professors aren't quite as strict as my engineering ones. I find myself constantly nagging the MBA only students about correct APA citations due to this.

Edit: Just realized I haven't turned in a rough so it's never been an issue. Final papers all the way. We can schedule an appointment with the writing center if we need help on a paper.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 4, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

boop the snoot posted:

out of curiosity, how strict have your professors been about citations on rough drafts?

several of us in my accounting class got minor infractions for plagiarism because we didn't properly cite the FASB codification in a rough draft. our logic (which backfired, obviously) was that since there isn't much guidance on how to cite the codification, we would turn the rough draft in to see if our content was good and in the meantime learn how to do it (or seek out a tutor who knows how to do it) to make sure it's done properly.

E: I'm not saying I was in the right here. It was absolutely plagiarism from my professor's point of view. I'm just curious in general about strictness on rough drafts.

You have to try with the citation especially so you can get the correct formatting after you move past the rough draft portion.

The idea that you were trying to plagiarize some kind of statute or code seems pretty idiotic though. Just make some effort to attribute whenever it is necessary

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Naive question: grad school is going to cost me about $5k per semester. My company does max payback of $10k per year, paid after grades come in. My courses go through summer so I'm looking at 2/3rd of my education being paid for. I have cash on hand to pay for the school myself between reimbursements and cover the non-reimbursed parts. Is there any advantage to paying with loans that would be paid off on reimbursement, or would I just be eating the interest?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Pay with a credit card and get fat rewards points, assuming a 0% APR introductory rate.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

Pay with a credit card and get fat rewards points, assuming a 0% APR introductory rate.

I have a USAA Visa cash back card, I'd roll the dollars right into the balance before paying off the rest.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I get charged a service fee for several hundred if I pay with credit. Thinking of just giving them a check each qtr

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lightpole posted:

I get charged a service fee for several hundred if I pay with credit. Thinking of just giving them a check each qtr

Good point. My card gives 1.5%, school charges a 2.75% fee. Looks like credit card is out.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014
I didn't want to make my own thread, so I'll post in here.

Background
-USMC, Infantry, 5 years
-Completed Bachelors in Economics from UC Davis - Spring 2017
-Participated in Morgan Stanley Internship
-Amount left on Post-911 GI Bill: 24 months

Issue
The reason I studied Economics is because I had a grandiose idea that I would get into banking, and eventually investment banking. However, after my internship with Morgan Stanley, I soon realized that I have ZERO interest in the private sector, and the corporate world. It seems to me that the number one goal in working within the corporate world is to make money. Unless you're an engineer of some sort, programmer, or you do a trade, I do not believe for one minute that someone loves their job because x, y, z. They love it for the pay check, and perks within the organization. That is number one (whether this is true or false, that's not the point of this post. Just my unjustified belief.)

Even though I have little interest in the corporate world, I have been applying for entry level jobs for the majority of this year. I landed a handful of interviews which did not bear fruit. And I've received a few hundred rejection emails for jobs I applied to. I honestly am at a point where I do not know what to do...My income has been from the post-911 GI Bill which I using at City College of San Francisco taking bullshit classes. However I obviously do not want to burn that away.

I am currently in the process of completing an Army Officer packet, and I have made it to phase 2 in a top federal agency application pipeline. However, assuming I make it through both, I will not an offer/acceptance from the Army Officer or federal agency until mid-2018. I also need to plan a contingency in case both do not pan out. Since I have no desire to work some boring rear end office/corporate job, the only things I can think of that interest me is either: Police Officer or Firefighter. Of the two, I am more interest in Firefighting.

I'm in need of advice. Someone to bounce ideas off of who can give some constructive feedback. My career interests are in the public and government sectors. I have debated about getting a Masters in Public Policy/Affairs. I still need some job until then though...

TL DR
-Recent Bachelors in Economics
-Not interested in private sector / corporate world
-In application pipeline for Army Officer and a Federal Agency
-Need contingency plan if both fail...
-Wtf do I do?
-Need advice...

Thank you to anyone who read this.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
My FF friends in the Novato area spent years being broke, working through the volunteer process for experience, getting turned down by Oakland and the other major cities etc. They now have city jobs but it's a long slog there.

If you don't have a purpose or focus it might be a little difficult in picking a masters program. Have you thought about non profits or aid organizations? You can look to make a change in the world that way and it might be a little fulfilling. There's also disaster management, not sure about work opportunities but that might mesh with your experience and make you pretty viable.

It's not always easy but don't hop back in just because you don't know what else to do, make sure it's a path you want.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

mad_Thick posted:

Background
-USMC, Infantry, 5 years

Issue
The reason I studied Economics is because I had a grandiose idea that I would get into banking, and eventually investment banking. However, after my internship with Morgan Stanley, I soon realized that I have ZERO interest in the private sector, and the corporate world. It seems to me that the number one goal in working within the corporate world is to make money. Unless you're an engineer of some sort, programmer, or you do a trade, I do not believe for one minute that someone loves their job because x, y, z. They love it for the pay check, and perks within the organization. That is number one (whether this is true or false, that's not the point of this post. Just my unjustified belief.)

Even though I have little interest in the corporate world, I have been applying for entry level jobs for the majority of this year. I landed a handful of interviews which did not bear fruit. And I've received a few hundred rejection emails for jobs I applied to. I honestly am at a point where I do not know what to do...My income has been from the post-911 GI Bill which I using at City College of San Francisco taking bullshit classes. However I obviously do not want to burn that away.

I am currently in the process of completing an Army Officer packet, and I have made it to phase 2 in a top federal agency application pipeline. However, assuming I make it through both, I will not an offer/acceptance from the Army Officer or federal agency until mid-2018. I also need to plan a contingency in case both do not pan out. Since I have no desire to work some boring rear end office/corporate job, the only things I can think of that interest me is either: Police Officer or Firefighter. Of the two, I am more interest in Firefighting.

I'm in need of advice. Someone to bounce ideas off of who can give some constructive feedback. My career interests are in the public and government sectors. I have debated about getting a Masters in Public Policy/Affairs. I still need some job until then though...

TL DR
-Wtf do I do?
-Need advice...

Sounds like you'd enjoy the nonprofit sector. Pick a cause and find an organization that works on it. You'll take a pay cut in order to be surrounded by people who care about doing something meaningful.

Also if you think being an army officer isn't a "boring rear end office/corporate job" then you haven't done your research.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You want to learn about being an Army officer, go to the Army thread and filter Mustang's posts. Read all of them. If you still want to do it after that, we won't stop you.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
but we will totally poo poo on you

and then if it turns out you somehow enjoy it, we will tell you that you're supposed to be miserable because we have crab mentality and don't like people enjoying things.

e: Just bought the textbooks for my last semester of undergrad. :feelsgood:

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 10, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mad_Thick posted:

Background
-USMC, Infantry, 5 years

Issue

TL DR
-Wtf do I do?
-Need advice...

I think it's... overzealous to paint the business/corporate world through the lens of a Morgan Stanley internship.

First off, I banking is a nightmare and you're mostly right about it. Both consultancy and I banking is essentially working your rear end off for a few years to get big paychecks and set yourself up nice while transitioning to a career you actually enjoy.

My chosen career is in medical device marketing. I work in a corporate office but I get to interact with functions across the spectrum and physicians to deliver medical products (electrophysiology in my case) that benefit everyone. It's pretty rewarding and I've learned A TON about how the human body works, which is neat

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

mad_Thick you are actually going to get more useful & well-thought-out career advice in the Business/Finance/Careers subforum than you will get here. The only thing they won't be able to cover is your officer boner.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Cal Maritime has an online MS in Humanitarian Disaster Management and Cal Poly has something similar if you want to come down to SLO. It's pretty awesome.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014

Boon posted:

I think it's... overzealous to paint the business/corporate world through the lens of a Morgan Stanley internship.

First off, I banking is a nightmare and you're mostly right about it. Both consultancy and I banking is essentially working your rear end off for a few years to get big paychecks and set yourself up nice while transitioning to a career you actually enjoy.

My chosen career is in medical device marketing. I work in a corporate office but I get to interact with functions across the spectrum and physicians to deliver medical products (electrophysiology in my case) that benefit everyone. It's pretty rewarding and I've learned A TON about how the human body works, which is neat

I understand that it is overzealous. What I meant to articulate is I do not find any sort of "joy" or sense of accomplishment in that environment. I do not mean to say that every corporate environment is like Morgan Stanley or banking. I'm sure I'd enjoy the hell of out of the typical Silicon Valley "corporate" environment. Each situation will dictate.

With regards to my "boring rear end office/corporate" comment, I don't mean to say I wouldn't enjoy every single office job. If the job supports something more altruistic than sheer profits, I would be interested. Even an office/cubical job in government I wouldn't mind. However, working some office job for X Company where profits is the number one goal, I see that as pointless and waste of my time/life.

I'll start researching non-profits and the likes, as well as Masters programs involving those. Thanks for the advice.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Done with this semester! Time to kick back and relax for a month. Maybe I'll resub to world of warcraft.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

You’ll be bored within an hour. Try something new.

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

mad_Thick posted:

I understand that it is overzealous. What I meant to articulate is I do not find any sort of "joy" or sense of accomplishment in that environment. I do not mean to say that every corporate environment is like Morgan Stanley or banking. I'm sure I'd enjoy the hell of out of the typical Silicon Valley "corporate" environment. Each situation will dictate.

With regards to my "boring rear end office/corporate" comment, I don't mean to say I wouldn't enjoy every single office job. If the job supports something more altruistic than sheer profits, I would be interested. Even an office/cubical job in government I wouldn't mind. However, working some office job for X Company where profits is the number one goal, I see that as pointless and waste of my time/life.

I'll start researching non-profits and the likes, as well as Masters programs involving those. Thanks for the advice.

Have you thought of joining a for-profit that aligns with something you believe in? Patagonia, Tesla, a renewable energy company, start up accelerators, impact investment companies, blah blah blah. Or perhaps a function in a company you can get behind? Veteran recruiting at Deloitte, VIP handling at JPM, marketing operations at Spotify.

High finance sux dix but poo poo man you can find meaning in a ton of place you wouldn’t think and a dearth of meaning in a place that should have it. Source: former officer, current intern

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014

TheAlphaChaser posted:

Have you thought of joining a for-profit that aligns with something you believe in? Patagonia, Tesla, a renewable energy company, start up accelerators, impact investment companies, blah blah blah. Or perhaps a function in a company you can get behind? Veteran recruiting at Deloitte, VIP handling at JPM, marketing operations at Spotify.

High finance sux dix but poo poo man you can find meaning in a ton of place you wouldn’t think and a dearth of meaning in a place that should have it. Source: former officer, current intern

That's actually a great idea I overlooked. Since my only "work" experience is my time in the Corps, and an internship, I need to start networking on LinkedIn with people in those sort of positions, and compose a list of the skills I am missing, and how to re-mediate it so I can at least get an interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
My national guard scholarship is still pending for the spring semester. I submitted the same request as I did for this past fall semester over a month ago, and my school's fee deadline (when they can drop my registration for not overdue fees) is Friday. Woo.