Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Fool posted:

Stop me when you’re triggered

Dentrix
Softdent
EZDental
Patterson
Eaglesoft
Dexis
Gendex
Practiceworks

I got as far as D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Folks at my last place of work seem to have begrudgingly accepted Epic. We're going live with Cerner at my current place, not seeing a lot of smiles.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Fool posted:

Dentrix
Softdent
EZDental
Patterson
Eaglesoft
Dexis
Gendex
Practiceworks

I had a dental office want me to replace their MSP that was doing a horrible job. I took one look at their EMR system, EZDental and noped the gently caress outta there!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The Fool posted:

Dentrix
Softdent
EZDental
Patterson
Eaglesoft
Dexis
Gendex
Practiceworks

Literally the biggest rage face emoji.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Literally the biggest rage face emoji.

Either that or a dude sitting at an empty desk, with a gun and a bottle of whisky in each hand.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
One of the hospitals I support recently instituted parking fees in their ramps. Since I'm essentially an MSP, the contract manager for the hospital network had to get badge access added so I don't have to pay when I head there to fix poo poo. She just emailed me the correspondence with the parking project coordinator, which includes this gem:

"Could you let me know more specifically what they will be doing that requires parking access? Will they be working out of their cars, transporting materials, responding to emergency calls, etc?"

"Yes."

It ended with me being able to park without paying, but I can imagine the eyeroll on the other end.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

*Thinks of the boxes of DDR1/DDR2 RAM chips we have sitting on a shelf*

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Super Slash posted:

*builds a noose instead*

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ConfusedUs posted:

I got as far as D

Triggered by the D?

:gizz:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

My wife is a physician, and her EMR software resizes dynamically based on screen resolution, but does not add scrollbars when sized below the minimum. And is not manually resizable. This works exceedingly well over Citrix.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Papa John Misty posted:

My wife is a physician, and her EMR software resizes dynamically based on screen resolution, but does not add scrollbars when sized below the minimum. And is not manually resizable. This works exceedingly well over Citrix.

Sounds absolutely par for the course.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've written two very tiny Win32 applications for the most trivial things that was more for my own whim and I put more effort into making sure the window worked ok than that company did apparently.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Super Slash posted:

My current desktop still uses DDR-2. If you REALLY want to ditch them, I could use 16GB...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am going to use my 64 gigs of ddr 3 until memory prices make sense again.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sickening posted:

I am going to use my 64 gigs of ddr 3 until memory prices make sense again.

*32 years later*
Sickening: ...gently caress

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Samizdata posted:

My current desktop still uses DDR-2. If you REALLY want to ditch them, I could use 16GB...

You and me both brother, however I arrived after IT was run like a mad-house so nobody gets dibs on old kit.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
A colleague "borrowing" a USG-PRO-4 for home
I watched a mountain of Mid spec computers taken away for WEEE disposal
All that equipment will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to work.

It's funny because staff could purchase old machines at a highly cut price, but it got slammed down from legal and HR because fee fees could be hurt if people missed out.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

One of my coworkers quit to start an msp for dental offices only. It's a profitable niche that we won't touch

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Super Slash posted:

You and me both brother, however I arrived after IT was run like a mad-house so nobody gets dibs on old kit.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
A colleague "borrowing" a USG-PRO-4 for home
I watched a mountain of Mid spec computers taken away for WEEE disposal
All that equipment will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to work.

It's funny because staff could purchase old machines at a highly cut price, but it got slammed down from legal and HR because fee fees could be hurt if people missed out.

Wow, suck. I am still on a Dell Vostro 420, with upgraded RAM, drives, PSU, and GPU, and I will be getting a better "new to me" case with a water cooler soon. This machine shows the joys of scavenging, seeing as the most I have spent on it was like $40.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Entropic posted:

Got it in one. :toot:

I'm not sure any good EMR software exists, I've certainly never met a doctor who likes theirs.

its hands down the worst software i've ever used. it frightens me that there are hospitals that run it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

lampey posted:

One of my coworkers quit to start an msp for dental offices only. It's a profitable niche that we won't touch

Dentists were the worst loving clients we had. Poor guy.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, I did some short term work for an MSP for dental offices in a major city and holy poo poo was it awful. Some offices have a plenum directly above where the dentists are working, and we're talking a space just big enough for the dental chair. Easily smaller than standard small network closets.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've been reading ye olde tales of Dick Trauma in the old thread and I just got to the part where he escaped Tony and got a good job. I don't want to keep reading because I frequent the poo poo Pissing Me Off thread and I know how this ends :ohdear:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

"Deployments for <product> are going to be delayed due to a licensing issue with the vendor"

"Is someone actively working on the licensing issue?"

No, you dumb poo poo. We're just going to throw up our hands and say 'oh well!'

gently caress I hate devs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AlexDeGruven posted:

"Deployments for <product> are going to be delayed due to a licensing issue with the vendor"

We're passively working on the licensing issue. Thanks for chiming in.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Nope. We are going to sit around, play poker and laugh while we watch all you dumbass devs panic. Then we're taking a long lunch. Then we have the department weekly FPS tournament....

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

HOLY MOLY WE HADN'T THOUGHT OF THAT. I'LL FORWARD YOUR SUGGESTION TO MY SUPERVISOR TO HOPEFULLY IMMEDIATELY PLAN A COURSE OF ACTION!!!!11

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Speaking of throwbacks, has anyone heard from Larches lately?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I’ve definitely been in situations where “we’re having a licensing issue with a vendor” meant “we forgot to order some of the licenses”.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Entropic posted:

I’ve definitely been in situations where “we’re having a licensing issue with a vendor” meant “we forgot to order some of the licenses”.

Or "the check bounced".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mllaneza posted:

Or "the check bounced".

Story time?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Nope. We are going to sit around, play poker and laugh while we watch all you dumbass devs panic. Then we're taking a long lunch. Then we have the department weekly FPS tournament....

Are you hiring?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AlexDeGruven posted:

You joke, but sometimes it's good to sanity check. It would be better phrased as "who is working on the licensing issue with <vendor>, and is there a rough estimate on when that will be resolved?"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

quote:

I'm at the...closed switch which is locked using a combo lock does anyone know the combo?

quote:

Bolt cutters, we never installed combo locks.

This exchange made me giggle

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Samizdata posted:

Again, you joke, but I am currently in the situation where a simple change of mobile phone service provider has been stuck in Purchasing Hell for nearly 6 months now, despite the vendor already having been evaluated, price checked and contract agreed. Simply because it turns out that the budget approval process has it categorised in the same class as if we were buying a new HQ or corporate take-over.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Entropic posted:

Best I've come across was a website and the devs bought licenses for a subsystem they used to make it nice and fancy.

2 days before public release someone read the terms of the license and found out that the license was only good enough for the devs to use (as it was based on unique users - not concurrent). And the site was expected to hit around a million unique visitors since it was a website for a public event. At like $50/user.

Devs did a lot of work in that 48 hours.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

AlexDeGruven posted:

I wish we lived in a world where that question merited an indignant response, but it's plausible to me that the answer would be either "no," or a dissembling "uhhh, we'll get right back to you on that" in some places.

At the very least, you have confirmed for your devs that the issue is licensing and you're not waiting on anything from the dev team.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've been reading ye olde tales of Dick Trauma in the old thread and I just got to the part where he escaped Tony and got a good job. I don't want to keep reading because I frequent the poo poo Pissing Me Off thread and I know how this ends :ohdear:

HA HA HA :smithicide:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Boogalo posted:

Speaking of throwbacks, has anyone heard from Larches lately?

This. We need a Larches update

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Last I heard, his boss was still a total micromanaging douche, but larches was in full DGAF mode anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I got Cisco Finesse dropped on me today and I really hate this bullshit of making everything run through a web browser now a days.

I don't even really have a problem with it but separate programs with keyboard shortcuts their own window is just easier you know.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 5, 2017

• Locked thread