Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
FSU is the last guy in the grocery store before the hurricane. FSU has to settle for the coaching equivalent of English muffins. "They're actually quite tasty." Put on a brave face, FSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

MourningView posted:

Brown would be second on my list for Arkansas after Norvell. I’d also much rather have him than Miles if I were Tennessee but they don’t seem to be looking at G5 coaches at all

It's what makes me so puzzled about Tennessee. There are literally 4-5 coaches I'd love to see at Arkansas if Gus doesn't come. Personally, I'd love to see Gus and know why he is number one but also know that there is some baggage there for a lot of the state. I'd understand why he and his agent would string us along -- he's got a great thing going at Auburn and the only thing he lacks is long-term stability. Maybe listening to Arkansas gives him leverage to get that. Maybe he jumps to us. But most people seem to be interested/ok with Norvell (as long as he doesn't really have a gambling problem) and Brown, Venables, Morris, etc. all have a chance to be great coaches.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Randaconda posted:

"Garbage"

I mean, we never had a losing season, unlike other teams in Florida. :colbert:

Weird I remember FSU being winless in 2007 :colbert:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I like the Florida Gators

however

I do not like the Florida State Seminoles

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Ehud posted:

I like the Florida Gators

however

I do not like the Florida State Seminoles

hosed up, if true

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Seriously if Taggart stays, where does FSU look?

Sumlin? Morris? Unnamed coordinator?

Todd Graham? :haw:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

Justin Fuente

Charlie Strong

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LeeMajors posted:

Bert

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Saban, obviously.

For a serious answer, they've probably kicked the tires on Fuente and a few more in case Taggert stays

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

LeeMajors posted:

Just to throw some names I just read out there:

Fuente
Norvell
Strong
Diaz

Then I would guess we could also talk guys linked to Tennessee: Brohm and Leach.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Strong on the sidelines in Tallahassee would be weeeeeeeeeird.

I just hadn’t heard any names outside Taggart. They all seem like good hires.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Our flag football team QBed by Lincoln Riley won the residence hall league. I sucked rear end, but we convinced him he should try to walk onto the team and the rest is history.

I remember having a similar conversation with Vince Young in my college days. Was just like hey dude, maybe just playing IM softball isnt for you - think about playing football for the Longhorns. One national title later, the rest is history.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I read a hilarious scenerio last night, Richt goes back to FSU.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

LeeMajors posted:

I’m sure you guys will hire someone fine, but you sound way too salty on a comedy forum. You get bodysnatched by Crotch Bat?

Also, FSU has been garbage in my lifetime so I don’t need to jerk off to the fantasy. I’ve experienced it.

Ya'll are laser focused on comedy hirings and I'm over here worrying about this poo poo:

Ehud posted:

Charlie Strong

Anything but a conservative defensive coach. ANYTHING

And yea I was there during their worst four years at the end of the Bowden era, I remember them being garbage too.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Pandanaut posted:

Just to throw some names I just read out there:

Fuente
Norvell
Strong
Diaz

Then I would guess we could also talk guys linked to Tennessee: Brohm and Leach.

James Franklin is another name I've seen thrown around but I don't know if he leaves PSU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly, there's probably only five or six active coaches who don't sit and think for a while if FSU comes calling.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Randaconda posted:

Honestly, there's probably only five or six active coaches who don't sit and think for a while if FSU comes calling.

Saban
Meyer
Frost
Fisher
Richt
Harbaugh
Mullen
Peterson
Swinney
Riley
Franklin
Gundy

I know some of these guys just moved, but I don't think those guys are going anywhere.* Certainly FSU is an upper echelon job. The problem isn't going to be finding a coach, it's going to be finding one this month who's going to rebuild them into a title contender. Slim pickings. Do they wait with an interim in order to top the list next year?

* I bet Mullen would have given them a look.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LLCoolJD posted:

Saban
Meyer
Frost
Fisher
Richt
Harbaugh
Mullen
Peterson
Swinney
Riley
Franklin
Gundy

I know some of these guys just moved, but I don't think those guys are going anywhere.* Certainly FSU is an upper echelon job. The problem isn't going to be finding a coach, it's going to be finding one this month who's going to rebuild them into a title contender. Slim pickings. Do they wait with an interim in order to top the list next year?

I didn't say they would leave, but I bet at least some of the folks on that list would at least think about it.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

FSU should dust off Bobby Bowden and bring him in imo

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Saban
Meyer
Frost
Fisher
Richt
Harbaugh
Mullen
Peterson
Swinney
Riley
Franklin
Gundy

I’d add Herman to that list as well. And Chip Kelly.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah I should have added those two as well.

If Kelly isn't in Gainesville, I am glad he's on the other side of the continent and not in Tallahassee.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

I mean half of that list is either coaching at their alma maters or just got the job within the last year (lol @ listing jimbo fisher) so it doesn't really prove anything.

FSU seems like the best job opening this off-season and would be in most years

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

It's what makes me so puzzled about Tennessee. There are literally 4-5 coaches I'd love to see at Arkansas if Gus doesn't come. Personally, I'd love to see Gus and know why he is number one but also know that there is some baggage there for a lot of the state. I'd understand why he and his agent would string us along -- he's got a great thing going at Auburn and the only thing he lacks is long-term stability. Maybe listening to Arkansas gives him leverage to get that. Maybe he jumps to us. But most people seem to be interested/ok with Norvell (as long as he doesn't really have a gambling problem) and Brown, Venables, Morris, etc. all have a chance to be great coaches.

The idea of Malzahn at HC and Nutt at AD is hilarious and I hope it happens.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Adun posted:

Having seen both campuses, and having visited Tallahassee and the surrounding pine barrens of the panhandle, I don't know what makes FSU superior to Florida. Both are big money championship programs. I would give Florida the edge, but really it's splitting hairs.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

LLCoolJD posted:

Having seen both campuses, and having visited Tallahassee and the surrounding pine barrens of the panhandle, I don't know what makes FSU superior to Florida. Both are big money championship programs. I would give Florida the edge, but really it's splitting hairs.

I think they're definitely very close but FSU still has an easier path to the playoffs in the ACC than Florida in the SEC. Obviously that advantage has shrunk a bit the last few years with Clemson's rise

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I could see FSU going hard after Pruitt

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Adun posted:

I think they're definitely very close but FSU still has an easier path to the playoffs in the ACC than Florida in the SEC. Obviously that advantage has shrunk a bit the last few years with Clemson's rise

Adun posted:

I mean half of that list is either coaching at their alma maters or just got the job within the last year (lol @ listing jimbo fisher) so it doesn't really prove anything.

It’s a premier job in similar standing with Florida, just a cockhair behind the bluest of bluebloods.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Legit ok with this if it materializes.

https://twitter.com/Ry_Bass/status/937355245054816256

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That would be awesome for UCF

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man, that would be a great hire for UCF. How is he at recruiting?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Depends if UCF has a helicopter.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

an adult beverage posted:

Depends if UCF has a helicopter.

You used to be able to take short helicopter rides at the Alachua County Fair back in the day

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

sportsgenius86 posted:

I could see FSU going hard after Pruitt

The way he left, there is no way this happens.

As long as FSU doesn't hire someone like Charlie Strong they'll be fine. Jimbo recruited a ridiculous amount of talent so it's not like they don't have players. Any competent coach should be able to win 9 to 10 games next year.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So there's a report saying Arkansas is going to offer Gus 7.1 Million a year to come be there. If that 's true I could see him taking it, because Auburn is not going to match that. Also coaching salaries really getting crazy if that's true. How is any coach worth 7 million a year?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Randaconda posted:

Oh man, that would be a great hire for UCF. How is he at recruiting?

It’s pretty much the only thing he consistently did well at A&M. I guess it remains to be seen how he does outside of Texas, but they wouldn’t be the thing I’d worry about with him.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Sumlin would probably knock it out of the park at UCF, that's a really good match on both sides.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Fuente addressed the team this morning, stated he received a few offers and rejected them, will be staying at VT.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Crotch Bat posted:

Fuente addressed the team this morning, stated he received a few offers and rejected them, will be staying at VT.

Charlie Strong to FSU IMO

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Randaconda posted:

You used to be able to take short helicopter rides at the Alachua County Fair back in the day

You are from Gainesville but went to FSU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posture Pal
Nov 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TDARaginCajuns/status/937368078614220800

Kinda surprised he didn't go sooner after the academic fraud mess a few years ago.

• Locked thread