Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

frgildan posted:

Did you pull any chance cubes? I'd also replace Lightsaber pull with electroshock,doubt or He doesn't like you. Not sure if you have them but with only 2 lightsabers pull feels wasted.

As a counterpoint, I would happily run 2 light saber pull over say, indomitable and Jedi rival or something just for the sake of reliability. Yes, they'll be dead cards occasionally, but both of your light sabers are strong cards individually and one of them doesn't live up to its potential without the other. It also opens up the opportunity to use ancient's action, then fetch it back immediately. Regardless, it effectively doubles your chances of drawing into either. There's a lot to be said for consistency, especially in a deck that's mostly one-ofs otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Hauki posted:

As a counterpoint, I would happily run 2 light saber pull over say, indomitable and Jedi rival or something just for the sake of reliability. Yes, they'll be dead cards occasionally, but both of your light sabers are strong cards individually and one of them doesn't live up to its potential without the other. It also opens up the opportunity to use ancient's action, then fetch it back immediately. Regardless, it effectively doubles your chances of drawing into either. There's a lot to be said for consistency, especially in a deck that's mostly one-ofs otherwise.

Sure but if the deck is keeping the pull I'd replace rival with cross guard saber to at least make them a little more worthwhile. I'd drop the last indomitable and one of the anarchy to fit pull back in.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

frgildan posted:

Sure but if the deck is keeping the pull I'd replace rival with cross guard saber to at least make them a little more worthwhile. I'd drop the last indomitable and one of the anarchy to fit pull back in.

Oh for sure. I’m at work so I can’t look too closely at it but crossguard is probably worth jamming in there too. I couldn’t remember offhand what else came in the starter vs. what he’d kept in.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Another thing you might want to check out is the hyperloops budget build articles. The dedcks tend to be pretty cheap and pretty effective.

https://www.thehyperloops.com/guardianbudget/

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

I gotta make a comment on the past few pages talks of Errata and changes.

I hate that they had to makes sweeping changs, but with a few of the cards I was accidentally exposed to from the player beta groups, these changes were needed especially for future balance (I'm not in a playtest group myself. Was visiting a friend he pulled out some stuff and went OH poo poo a few minutes later when I was like where the gently caress did you print these from?)

Wizards of the coast makes errors which they are fairly conservative in resolving issues until after sets have rotated. They learned the hard way through the years what some killer combos can do to the player base in the short term. The 2 year rotation of sets was a great idea for standard there and gets people to buy new cards all the time. Creating different play styles and banning X Y Z cards from different rules sets was also a great way to let people value some of their older cards but keep the newer meta fresh and in a lot of cases, more carefree.

Destiny really needs to be 3 sets a year with maybe a new 2 player starter set yearly. Honestly with Awakenings set having such a low print volume I could get my hands any cards for a few months. Then the 2nd set having some real expensive meta I couldn't even compete with people due to the card scarcity. Now I have a pile of cards I haven't played with in a few months. I love the game but my local community got burned by FFG for a few things which we are FINALLY getting some local playgroups getting together weekly again. Hopefully this Friday I'll get to play once again

Really it's how companies are upfront with their players, innovate and handle the growing pains that I look for in a TCG. I got burned bad by Blizzard on the WoW tcg, but these games really are a wallet vacuum if you aren't careful

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/11/8/swd-what-lies-ahead/
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/11/8/galactic-qualifiers/

Rotation is in. Three formats, Standard, Trilogy, and Infinite.
Trilogy looks like a nice format for someone like me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Knew I should’ve sold my awakenings set

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Two cycles as they define it is pretty much what I was expecting/hoping for as far as rotation.
That's basically a two-year product life which isn't too bad for turnover, and I think two full cycles will give a pretty respectable card pool while allowing them to shape a specific meta and allowing for future design space. Hopefully it'll also mean less card text errata down the road.

Long term I think it's a good move, in the short term I'm kinda concerned about fracturing the playerbase further, what I expect to happen is my local stores will just run one format two weeks out of the month and another the other two. Hopefully everyone will just go with the flow instead of only showing up half as often. Not sure how draft & sealed will fit into the mix outside of immediately around set releases.

Psyched for more competitive support via Galactic Quals, I really think that's what the game needs to grow. Hopefully it inspires third parties to run more competitive events as well.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Yeah we have so few events to begin with, having to have multiple constructed formats + draft seems like way too much

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Knew I should’ve sold my awakenings set

Two years out of a cig set seems pretty good. Plus Awakenings is still good till December 2018 so I'm sure there's still buyers out there.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Just hold onto all the cards! Oh wait I've still got boxes of the SW CCG from Decipher buried in a closet

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

This game is on life support in this area. I think this'll just about kill it.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Its interesting how varied the reactions are to this. We're quite excited about it locally. Though one guy in the area has declared he's getting rid of all his stuff.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I've noticed that for whatever the reason, maybe it's just the reach of the brand, that this seems to be a lot of people's first foray into TCGs. As a result they don't seem to have perspective on why certain things happen the way they do, which keep being perceived as negatives. First I keep seen people both locally and online complain that "new products are releasing too quickly, I can't keep up, they should slow down/do less", which would be disastrous to the game, letting it stagnate for more than the few months with the same card pool. Now it's rotation and lots of people are throwing up their arms complaining about being unable to use their cards and how they're quitting, without any concept of how dull the competitive game would get if there was no rotation.

Hearing that rotation will "kill" the game in a given area is completely preposterous to me. It's quite literally the only thing that is going to allow the game to grow and hook new people by not making the card pool insanely cost-prohibitive to catch-up on. I'm super in favor of the LCG model vs TCGs, and I even wish FFG would do more aggressive formatting and rotation there for the same reason.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Merauder posted:

I've noticed that for whatever the reason, maybe it's just the reach of the brand, that this seems to be a lot of people's first foray into TCGs. As a result they don't seem to have perspective on why certain things happen the way they do, which keep being perceived as negatives. First I keep seen people both locally and online complain that "new products are releasing too quickly, I can't keep up, they should slow down/do less", which would be disastrous to the game, letting it stagnate for more than the few months with the same card pool. Now it's rotation and lots of people are throwing up their arms complaining about being unable to use their cards and how they're quitting, without any concept of how dull the competitive game would get if there was no rotation.

Hearing that rotation will "kill" the game in a given area is completely preposterous to me. It's quite literally the only thing that is going to allow the game to grow and hook new people by not making the card pool insanely cost-prohibitive to catch-up on. I'm super in favor of the LCG model vs TCGs, and I even wish FFG would do more aggressive formatting and rotation there for the same reason.

How can people possibly be surprised or upset at set rotation when the LCGs of all things had set rotation announced before Destiny was even a thing? I don't get it. I'm not a huge fan of two cycling formats, but it's not really a huge dealbreaker for me.

e: Galactic Qualifiers looks pretty rad, gonna give me something other than X-Wing to play down at Adepticon this year.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 9, 2017

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm not surprised about rotation (well, i am sprt of surprised theyre introducing it so soo) more about 3 different formats. Two would probably be enough for the game to function on a competitive level for the next 5+ years.

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

Yeah, the new formats should be Standard, Infinite, and Draft. I get what they are trying for with Trilogy, trying to get in new players, but draft covers that just as well. Trilogy is like Block in Magic, which was unpopular and eventually phased out as an official format.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I'm a crazy person that owns a complete of playset Destiny and I'm psyched for rotation. It seems like a lot of people aren't approaching this like a ccg but an lcg. I've been trying to tell people to buy a few packs and a starter to build with or go online and by a deck they like and go from there.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Merauder posted:

If they havent hooked new people by now i seriously doubt the idea of rotation is going to draw in a ton of people. Trying to be exactly like magic isnt going to do anything since the people who already like that type of poo poo are already playing magic. Telling people "hey you need to drop even more money more often but dont worry its better in the long run" isnt very reassuring when the game is already struggling to stay above water.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Okay let's break this down, because you seem confused by the points being made:

banned from Starbucks posted:

If they havent hooked new people by now i seriously doubt the idea of rotation is going to draw in a ton of people.
The fact that rotation exists isn't going to overtly draw people to the game, but the fact that a year from now a player can walk into their FLGS and say, "Hey, I want to try SW Destiny, what do I need to get", and the clerk can say "Well these two sets are currently legal for the standard format, focus on those" instead of "Well you've got 2 years of cards to catch up on, start wherever you want because it's going to be expensive"... is a good thing, and will allow the game to gain new players. No one is asking "does this game rotate product?", but as a by-product it allows the game to grow.

Trying to be exactly like magic isnt going to do anything since the people who already like that type of poo poo are already playing magic.
I mean, we can all agree that no game, brand, or approach is going to actually compete with Magic in terms of bringing in players anywhere near it's base. 20+ years of history means that it's just not going to happen. But not learning from their 20 years and what works and what doesn't would be incredibly shortsighted on the part of the publisher, any publisher, looking to keep a new TCG alive for more than a couple years. Acting like "Magic's ways are only good for Magic players", and that they aren't the way they are for quantifiable reasons is just silly.

Telling people "hey you need to drop even more money more often but dont worry its better in the long run" isnt very reassuring when the game is already struggling to stay above water.
Wait, why is anyone having to spend "even more money" on the game? Are you suggesting that there are players who invest half-way into a TCG, build a single deck and expect to never buy product again, playing only one deck for the rest of their time with the game? I'd love to meet these people, because I've surely never known one. Even casual players will buy new cards on the regular, regardless if they're full playset-chasers or not. Suggesting that rotation is forcing them to increase their spend is fairly disingenuous, when we all know that anyone who actually enjoys the game will be spending money on new cards as long as they're still interested in the game.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

So does this mean I️ need to pull all my 2p Starter Set cards from my current decks cause we aren’t in Legacies yet, or are they just going to drop all the old crap once Legacy releases and we’re officially in the next rotation?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Sneaky Homunculus posted:

Yeah, the new formats should be Standard, Infinite, and Draft. I get what they are trying for with Trilogy, trying to get in new players, but draft covers that just as well. Trilogy is like Block in Magic, which was unpopular and eventually phased out as an official format.

Trilogy is almost certainly motivated, at least in the short-term, by a realization that they are never going to be able to get enough Awakenings into print if the game grows; it gives people a format they can run if the game starts taking off in their area that will only allow cards they'll be printing in decent quantity. It does seem a bit like a questionable compromise though, and Block was always a hated format in MTG, though Destiny's different enough that might not hold here.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Quidthulhu posted:

So does this mean I️ need to pull all my 2p Starter Set cards from my current decks cause we aren’t in Legacies yet, or are they just going to drop all the old crap once Legacy releases and we’re officially in the next rotation?

Nope, products from an "unreleased cycle" aka the 2p Starter Set currently, are legal in both Standard and Trilogy.

Currently Standard, Trilogy, and Infinite are all the same card pool. When Legacies releases Standard and Infinite will be all currently released sets, while Trilogy will be only Legacies.

EDIT::

My major issue with rotation is by rotating out whole cycles at a time, Empire At War (and it's equivalent third booster sets) are only Trilogy legal for about three months, and only Standard legal for about 15, which reduces the value of those cards in the rotation.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 10, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Merauder posted:

The fact that rotation exists isn't going to overtly draw people to the game, but the fact that a year from now a player can walk into their FLGS and say, "Hey, I want to try SW Destiny, what do I need to get", and the clerk can say "Well these two sets are currently legal for the standard format, focus on those" instead of "Well you've got 2 years of cards to catch up on, start wherever you want because it's going to be expensive"... is a good thing, and will allow the game to gain new players. No one is asking "does this game rotate product?", but as a by-product it allows the game to grow.

You honestly think thats a selling point over "Here buy this poo poo that you can use for a year or however far along in the cycle it is before you have to shelf it and buy all new stuff. Also good luck selling those old cycled out cards."

There are always people looking to buy out of games its not that hard to pick up someones unwanted collection for a lot cheaper than retail if you wanted to. The biggest case for rotation is to get rid of old overpowered cards that are constantly being tossed into new decks which is the reason you're forced to buy endless amounts of old sets as a new player in the first place but Destiny doesnt even have any of those types of cards yet. Like how many auto include cards are there in this game? A few mitigation cards....holdout blaster? All common poo poo you can pick up for dirt cheap anyway. Its not like if a new player came into Destiny right now i'd say "oh man you really need to drop $$ on 2 boxes of awakenings or Darth Vader singles ASAP!!" This game is basically power creeping old sets out on its own without even needing a rotation.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

You honestly think thats a selling point over "Here buy this poo poo that you can use for a year or however far along in the cycle it is before you have to shelf it and buy all new stuff. Also good luck selling those old cycled out cards."

That's the great thing about being able to look at past examples, is I don't have to "think" it's a selling point. History has proven that to be the case with other games. I'm not sure how you think there's any argument to the contrary. Once again, suggesting that because cards only legal for X duration (not even accounting for the fact the Infinite format was also announced so nothing is ever 100% gone), that suddenly someone HAS TO BUY NEW STUFF, as if they weren't going to buy new stuff anyway, is nonsense. If someone is invested in the game they're not going to stop purchasing new product once they have the cards they want right this moment. It just doesn't happen.

And "good luck selling those old cycled cards" is equally disingenuous, considering that A) the cards will still have the Infinite format, and B), weren't retaining poo poo for value in this game BEFORE the rotation. I looked into selling my surplus of Awakenings singles online a week or two before Spirit of Rebellion came out, and even with the shortage that set saw initially I wasn't getting any more then a couple bucks for the extra (non-Vader) legendaries I had. Most rares weren't even on the buy lists at that point. In other words, with the exception of a few select cards, you're not going to EVER get your money's worth out of your cards, rotation or not. TCGs are a loving TERRIBLE INVESTMENT, and approaching one with the presumption that you'll be able to just get all your money back later, or that you deserve to be able to, is flat wrong.

I obviously have some stark opinions on this, but I've seen these same complaints ring through communities in the past, and in the end it always ends the same: the game nets a healthier, more interesting environment to play in (the point you make about rotating out problem cards is valid, but is clearly not the only reason to rotate), and the ability for new players to jump on is infinitely easier and creates steady growth.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

New spoilers for Legacies.
Yoda looks pretty sweet. Qui-gon got some more support too. New Palpatine looks interesting, not sure of a good pairing for him yet though.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Prize Wall at Galactic Qualifiers looks pretty juicy.

Lots of spot-glossed Legacies characters, but no Legacies battlefields that I can see.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yes it does. I just played in a ~16 person tournament today with a $25/head buy-in, I won and got fuckall except entry to 'next year', so I'm a little salty about Destiny prize support in general at the moment.

Still had some good games, and enough other players were upset/frustrated by the prize support that some people are stepping up to try and host an actual cash prize circuit locally which I think is one of the (many) things needed to grow the game competitively, so I'm psyched for that.

Not much to really write up, I ran 5 die rainbow villain with some half-coherent tech choices made on a couple hours sleep. I feel like I only won on the back of my opponents' misplays, there was at least one game I should've flat out lost (in semi-finals), and a couple others that were way closer than I'd like. I made a couple pretty stupid mistakes in the quarter final too, but it wasn't really close enough to matter in the end. All told I played against ePalp, eLuke/Kanan?, eQui-gon/eKanan, 5 die villain, after the cut Sabine/ePoe, eAnakin/eKylo, 5 die villain again. Not 100% sure on the rest of the field, I know a couple Maz/Hera/x, I think a Sabine/Ezra, 1 other Palp, another Qui-gon/Kanan and...?

Finals was good stuff at least, quasi-mirror match with a friend, very close games which I'll hammer out some quick notes on.

Game one was rough for him, I won the roll off, took shields, rolled decently and got a triple Bala activation in round two, leaving him with 6hp Ciena vs. my full board going in to round 3. Wasn't much of a game sadly.

Game two was nuts, way closer than I expected given we were on my battlefield for that one, my Bala went down early and his did not. Also I feel like I made some pretty serious strategic misplays to kick off that game. Anyway, came down to Ciena vs. Ciena in the end and I got blown out by a Feel Your Anger on 4/5 blanks on my roll in, basically skipping an entire round and he pulled ahead. Pretty odd game all around.

Game three, my Bala died first again, but I was able to reroll what I had left in the pool to finish his Bala before he could reactivate & resolve with it. A timely claim, a Force Illusion and a minor misplay on his part let me get off the Relby action to finish his sister incidentally and push on with a fairly stacked Ciena & Sister vs. his damaged Ciena. Games were streamed & recorded, but I don't think they've been uploaded yet. I'm actually curious to watch them now because I think I made quite a few misplays and one of the commentators congratulated me on 'perfect play' after the fact.

Anyway, just reiterating that I wish this game had a better competitive circuit and I hope some of the changes/upcoming stuff they've announced recently pay off.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

25 dollar a head tournament and 0 prize support? What did they advertise?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

At $25/head everyone should be walking away with something, and the winner definitely should have gotten something. A box or something, seeing as though they pulled in $400 in entry fees.

You should never play at that store again.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Yea for 25 bucks I'd assume a box was on the line or multiple game night kits. Hell if winning means you don't pay that means they gave out 25 dollars store credit you can't even use on product. Store sounds awful.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

frgildan posted:

25 dollar a head tournament and 0 prize support? What did they advertise?

They advertised a quarterly kit, prize packs, dice bags, alt arts, etc. The quarterly kit was non existent. The remainder of these were given away through random drawings. I think only two boosters and dice bags were given out, one each to the same two people. The alt arts were like blurry screen caps of the recent clone wars series the dude had found online and mocked up himself. I actually got one of those, but I don't really count that as a prize.

This wasn't backed by a store, it was a private organizer renting out a hotel meeting room which is where I'm guessing some of the money went. They also ran a variety of other games in conjunction, each of which was a $25 entry. I can't speak to the prize support for the other games. Technically I did also win free entry to the same event next year, but given how this one was run I'm not sure I'll take him up on that. Generously, I think you could call the dice bags and packs $30 in total prize support, randomly allocated to 2 people. $25 in 'credit' so to speak.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That's bullshit, you should have walked away with something, gently caress those guys, they are a cancer on the hobby.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

bowmore posted:

That's bullshit, you should have walked away with something, gently caress those guys, they are a cancer on the hobby.

If they are an outside organization they could have approached FFG about what they were doing. Even if they just got there hands on a few of the community promos no one would complain about getting full art emperor throne rooms. Heck just approach a local store and see if they have a community if not see if they will order game night kits for you. There's tons of different ways they could have done it that would have taken almost zero effort.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

gently caress those guys something fierce.

I run 16+ people events in games that I'll give prize support out even if the event is free. My LGS's know how to treat people here which makes it easier for event organizers like me to get things done.

I mean gently caress, we did an Xwing tourny where we BRONZED the Tantive IV to make a trophy. I think we charged $10(might have been more) a head and Had something like 90 people in the state compete in local stores then top 12 got to compete in a 2nd event for the trophy rights. We basically have the Trophy go to the winner's homestore to sit and give bragging rights.

Destiny events we basically have been doing free to $5 entry unless its a draft. All the stores I've drafted at have given us 30%+ discounts on packs and then used a tourny kit for prizes with added packs.

$25 a head and giving nothing? That's bullshit. Tournaments aren't to make money off of, it's to build a community and get customers in the door to buy product.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Langolas posted:

Tournaments aren't to make money off of, it's to build a community and get customers in the door to buy product.

Agreed, absolutely. I just want to grow the game & the competitive scene here, but I'm not sure I have the time or energy to do it single-handedly. Like I mentioned earlier, I think a couple friends are stepping up to the plate to start running draft events with the release of the new set with boosters as prize support and ultimately cash prize constructed events down the road. I'm sure I'll be helping in some capacity but I'd rather play than run the event personally.

In any case, a few stores got Rivals draft packs in on Friday, so one group organized a draft event for tomorrow night that I'll be doing, 2 packs of each set to date plus the Rivals set. Same format on Thursday with a different group of people as well. Curious to see how all this works in practice as I was hugely into drafting in MtG, I need to brush up on the actual draft rules though now that they, well, exist. Also trying to decide if I actually want the second Rivals set from the event on Thursday or let someone else have it since all of the copies this store got were allocated to the event.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So, some feedback from the people who drafted last week (sounds like they all had a great time)
They said that drafting a decent character is really, really important, and that's what really moves the needle on a deck. Also, mill decks are super good in draft format.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

canyoneer posted:

So, some feedback from the people who drafted last week (sounds like they all had a great time)
They said that drafting a decent character is really, really important, and that's what really moves the needle on a deck. Also, mill decks are super good in draft format.

Yes, yes they are. Some dude basically drafted thrawnkar tonight and it was loving miserable to play against. Didn't help that I could not get an upgrade or support on the table at all.
I ended up going 3-1 otherwise, but that was an infuriating game, made moreso by watching him repeatedly forget what was left in my hand & miscall with thrawn, misplay detention center, etc. round after round and still be utterly unable to push damage in while my hand & deck slowly ticked down. We just redrafted the packs based on record and I came in second, but there wasn't really anything there I actually needed despite opening 8 legendaries between us. Still came away with some decent trade bait at least.

As predicted, half the pod was playing Anakin, regardless of whatever other characters they drafted. I didn't exactly account for the number of neutral events, etc. I played which led to some awkward situations with his special. Anyway I drafted rainbow and tried to leverage goodstuff from all three colors but ironically I never drew/played any of my real bombs in any of the games. Just ground out games with my character dice & the Rivals upgrades plus some decent removal. I drafted resource acceleration pretty highly and then sat there with like 9 resources gathering dust waiting to draw into actual cards which I wasn't really expecting. Kinda fun jamming out weird interactions and lesser used combos in any case. I'm curious to try more & see how that meta evolves.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Could be worse, someone put together a Palpatine/Ezra deck :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
We did a draft on Sunday and At Peace won me a game. I didn't even remember that was a card before that day.

Draft owns.