Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

La Brea Carpet posted:

Once agian, if someone uses the phrase "sexy times" unironically they are not mature enough to be in a relationship.

this dude sounds like a huge dick, but the author also sounds like an incredible nag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i love how immediately, reactionarily defensive dudes get when their SO's request just, the tiniest modicum of emotional intimacy or tenderness without demanding they be diagnosed and crammed full of pills.

nothing that can possibly happen on a screen is as important as the 2 minutes it takes to tuck someone in. share that time with your loved ones, jfc.

i do this because it helps my wife sleep better. gently caress yes i read to her also, not picturebook poo poo but some excellent tove jannson or short fiction by aleister crowley. fuckin spoil your sweeties. wrap them in an insulative layer of tender softness because the world is a cruel hellscape and it takes everything we have to keep the tiniest shred of ground safe enough to grow in.

Yeah, I don't really understand the reluctance to engage in platonic physical intimacy with your partner who you allegedly care about and enjoy feeling close to. What is wrong with that?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yeah, I don't really understand the reluctance to engage in platonic physical intimacy with your partner who you allegedly care about and enjoy feeling close to. What is wrong with that?

Uh, cause getting tuck tucked in nite nite with story stories and a warm glass of milk is the absolute opposite of adult? Platonic physical intimacy in an adult relationship is just cuddling in bed, lots of hugs throughout the day, hand holding, etc. Not this weird rear end adult baby poo poo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If he were doing any of that I don't think she'd be literally begging for a 30-second tuck-in.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Uh, cause getting tuck tucked in nite nite with story stories and a warm glass of milk is the absolute opposite of adult? Platonic physical intimacy in an adult relationship is just cuddling in bed, lots of hugs throughout the day, hand holding, etc. Not this weird rear end adult baby poo poo.

I don't really understand why you're injecting weird sex stuff into a woman asking her boyfriend to tuck her in at night and read her a story. Weirdo.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Hot take: tuck-ins and bedtime stories are 100% ddlg territory, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Real hosed up that people think my desire to be tied to a chair and licked by a woman in a cat costume is a sex thing, in my opinion

It's an entirely normal expression of affection in a relationship

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

I don't understand what the big deal is or what everyone is automatically turning this into some DD/lg poo poo. If someone had a heating pad and listened to a book on tape before bed you wouldn't bat an eye, but involving a partner automatically makes it infantalizing and weird? Why?

When my SO is over and I leave for work before he's up, I tuck him in and give him a kiss and tell him I love him, am I trying to turn him into an adult baby?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

13Pandora13 posted:

I don't understand what the big deal is or what everyone is automatically turning this into some DD/lg poo poo. If someone had a heating pad and listened to a book on tape before bed you wouldn't bat an eye, but involving a partner automatically makes it infantalizing and weird? Why?

When my SO is over and I leave for work before he's up, I tuck him in and give him a kiss and tell him I love him, am I trying to turn him into an adult baby?

Yes

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm just trying to imagine what you all think of as a normal relationship.

"Adult honey, I'm adult home. Let us now kiss, but in a very adult way, while filling out our taxes and paying our bills."

"Oh, adult darling, let us have very serious and mature sex, involving absolutely zero cutesy names for each other."

"That would be very adult and mature, spouse!"

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Adult honey, I'm adult home. Let us now kiss, but in a very adult way, while filling out our taxes and paying our bills."

"Oh, adult darling, let us have very serious and mature sex, involving absolutely zero cutesy names for each other."

The parents from Leave it to Beaver, but slightly less affection

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Absurd Alhazred posted:

MY CORPORATE IDENTDTY DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THIS AS A LEGITIMATE RELATIONSHIP AS THIS IS CLEARLY AN ADMIRALTY COUCH DUE TO THE GOLD FRINGE.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Imagine dating someone that is really awesome they can't even sleep properly and you have to cover them because their body is so hosed that they'll freeze to death / stay in discomfort and don't know how to work a blanket without your critical aid

"hey I'm taking a trip for a few days"

"But who's going to tuck me in!! And make my milk at night!! I also need a story to sleep"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's not about the tucking in and reading a story, it's about getting all huffy and weird when she doesn't get tucked in and read a story

either it's some dd/lg poo poo or she's starved for attention from her partner, either way something's up

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

She was either hugged too much or not enough as a child, whichever it is led us to this

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

13Pandora13 posted:

If someone had a heating pad and listened to a book on tape before bed you wouldn't bat an eye, but involving a partner automatically makes it infantalizing and weird? Why?

It's something parents do to their infants and toddlers, so when done to other adults, it's infantilizing.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
Lol, just lol if you like your wife

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

This all reminds me of the thread where the OP said his girlfriend demanded he eat her rear end every night so she could fall asleep. It wasn't done during sex or anything, it was literally just like, "I wanna go to bed. Eat my rear end." Was that like a power play or something?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Batterypowered7 posted:

This all reminds me of the thread where the OP said his girlfriend demanded he eat her rear end every night so she could fall asleep. It wasn't done during sex or anything, it was literally just like, "I wanna go to bed. Eat my rear end." Was that like a power play or something?

So that's what Peggy meant when she kept asking Al to "rub her tush"!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Let's review the original post and you tell me how this is normal, healthy adult stuff:

quote:

My girlfriend goes to sleep earlier than I do. When it calls, she'll wander out into the living room in her baby-blue monkey pajamas and oversized IHEARTNY t-shirt and stand in the dark, shifting on one leg and then the other. When I finally see her shadow she'll say something along the lines of...

"I'm sleepy. Can you tuck me in?'

Saying no has lead to unnecessary pleading and capitulation on my end so I've come to stop whatever it is I am doing and walk her rear end, with my hand upon her shoulder, back to the room. She'll crawl in while I reorganize the blankets, fluff the pillows, tuck the sheets in properly. Then, she will open up her legs and I will literally stick a pillow between them before tucking the blankets underneath her chin. This routine ends with a kiss of the forehead and her asking for a bedtime story. I sometimes give one. Most of the time I'll turn off the lights and say good night.

Just try to picture the super steamy romance of your GF waiting for you in childish peejays and assuming the role of a child too as you kiss them on the forehead and tuck them in, making sure to place all the pillows correctly, and asking for a bedtime story

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Let's review the original post and you tell me how this is normal, healthy adult stuff:

Just try to picture the super steamy romance of your GF waiting for you in childish peejays and assuming the role of a child too as you kiss them on the forehead and tuck them in, making sure to place all the pillows correctly, and asking for a bedtime story

Sounds adorable to me? Not everything in a relationship has to be steamy hot sex. :shrug:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sounds adorable to me? Not everything in a relationship has to be steamy hot sex. :shrug:

If he wants to pretend to have a pseudo daughter and work the fantasy incest angle sure, it sure doesn't seem like a partnership where the two people are on the same level of responsibility and maturity

Like your partner waiting around for you to stumble across them in their peejays and tuck them in, night after night after night, sounds super awful and not super adorable, to me.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But can you at least see why it also resembles the way a parent might put a young child to bed for the night?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

If he wants to pretend to have a pseudo daughter and work the fantasy incest angle sure, it sure doesn't seem like a partnership where the two people are on the same level of responsibility and maturity

Like your partner waiting around for you to stumble across them in their peejays and tuck them in, night after night after night, sounds super awful and not super adorable, to me.

Literal seven year olds go to bed with less of a production than that.

I mean if my wife were sick and wanted to be babied for a day or two fine, but every night is bordering on "let's explore this in therapy" territory.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Look, it's weird but fine to want tucked in and read a story. To hop about on one foot and demand with excessive pleading to be tucked in at night like a five year old is entering creepy territory for me personally. It's self-infantilising behaviour, and no wonder it makes the bf feel uncomfortably paternal.

Meunkin
Sep 11, 2001

puppiespuppiespuppies
I'm on page 641 and I don't think I'm going to be able to catch up with the thread, so I'm saying hi to myself in the future.

Also how is that new baby going? Remember when you only had one baby? Haha I do sucker.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
My (26f) fiance (27m) of 5 years is severely depressed (on meds, therapy, etc...) his mom (50s?) is warning me that this is a bout of "extreme tantrum and laziness" and he's done it his entire life, says I should leave. I'm really torn. Relationships (self.relationships)

quote:

Obviously, this issue goes really deep but I'm going to try and keep it as short as possible.

Basically, in March of last year my fiance was laid off from his job. For lack of a better term, he's always been a bit "morose" but I just figured it was part of his personality, and to be very honest he's actually very funny in his cynicism. But after losing his job, he went downhill fast, I'd say about a week he was getting out of bed for maybe 8 hours a day, that declined to only getting out of bed maybe an hour a day to go to the bathroom and eat. We postponed our summer wedding, he went to therapy, they suggest a psychiatrist, he tried meds and ultimately ended up in a 2 week inpatient treatment that he extended to four weeks. That wrapped up in the beginning of September. He came out with new meds, a seemingly new outlook on everything. He got rejected for the only job he had applied for and it was like the process started all over again.

Since about July my future MIL has been desperately trying to get in touch with me. She seems to really, really like me but my fiance has always warned me about her so if I'm being honest, I've been very distant and cold with her. On the few occasions where she would catch me on the phone I was pretty good about changing the subject or pretending like she was catching me at a bad time.

This thanksgiving, she was hosting a huge dinner that was essentially a family reunion (I think there were over 50 people in her house). She'd been planning it for at least two years. My fiance said he'd wanted to go but literately as we were driving out of the drive way he had an anxiety attack and couldn't go. I knew that his mom would be heartbroken so I got him set up in his bed, got him his meds, made him some food for the weekend and ended up making the 10 hour drive to her house by myself.

It was the first time I'd ever been around his family without him around and contrary to the sort of "cold peace" that exists when he's there, the entire family was warm, joyful, loving, full of laughter. I ended up having an amazing time. I have a pretty positive workplace but I'd forgotten how isolated I'd become living in such a "sad" house and never seeing other people, never going out and never seeing my family or friends.

Before I left on Friday, his mom pulled me aside and asked if she could please talk to me. I finally gave her the chance. Basically she confessed to me that she'd indulged my fiance in every way possible since he was a kid and she made a huge mistake. She said that this latest depressive episode sounds exactly like the stunts (her words) he'd pull as a kid when he didn't get his way. She said he's always been very manipulative and his attitude had a huge impact on the way the rest of the house was run and everything got better when he went into the military. She said he's always been extremely lazy and will use whatever excuse he can just to get out of participating in nearly everything. She said the way he was raised was her greatest mistake and she got more serious about her younger kids and they are both happy and productive. She said that he's so good at manipulating people that she suspects he even manipulates professionals who are trying to treat him--and she suspects he's even manipulating me. I thanked her, she asked me to please leave him for my own sake and that she would support me in every way possible.

Needless to say I had a ton to mull over on the way home. The truth is I'm exhausted, I'm sad, I'm working at least time and half (I'm a nurse so even my standard shift is exhausting) often more to keep us afloat. I indulged him in buying his dream "craftsman" house so I live with with one barely functioning bathroom, buckets, tools, materials and dust everywhere so I don't sleep well at my own house. All my money goes into our mortgage, insurance, cars and his treatment. I live on a diet of steamed broccoli, ramen noodles and cheap frozen pizza and I feel I'm sick all the time.

On top of all of this, he shows no signs of getting better in fact they are getting worse. When I tried to talk to him about what his mom said (I even offered to wait until we were at a therapy appointment) he said she's the biggest liar he's ever met and he slammed his door so hard the plaster actually cracked and I really haven't seen him since.

Basically, is it time for me to cut my losses and go? I feel like a nurse I should be better at dealing with him but I feel like I just out of the pan when I leave work and into the fire when I get home. But I feel like in a professional setting I would be able to tell a patient manipulating me but at home, because emotions are involved I'm getting run over. Basically, what should I do?

tl;dr: My future MIL warned me that my fiance's latest depression is probably him just being lazy and manipulative. What should I do?

quote:

Basically, is it time for me to cut my losses and go?

:mmmhmm:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Batterypowered7 posted:

But can you at least see why it also resembles the way a parent might put a young child to bed for the night?

I don't remember my childhood being like that, but okay? :shrug:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't remember my childhood being like that, but okay? :shrug:

I didn't ask whether your childhood was like that or not, but okay? :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Batterypowered7 posted:

I didn't ask whether your childhood was like that or not, but okay? :shrug:

I wasn't expecting some kind of Spanish Inquisition.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Admiral Ray posted:

It's something parents do to their infants and toddlers, so when done to other adults, it's infantilizing.

Right, it doesn't need to be a sex thing: it's just a baby thing that he's doing with a person he has sex with. How could anyone be disturbed by that? :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Doc Hawkins posted:

Right, it doesn't need to be a sex thing: it's just a baby thing that he's doing with a person he has sex with. How could anyone be disturbed by that? :v:

Yeah I would be weirded out as hell if someone asked me to do any of the things my mom did for me when I was a little boy

I mean except for take care of me when I had poo poo like scarlet fever and was vomiting blood, that's fine and reasonable to expect your SO to do

e: As long as nobody gets turned on by it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doc Hawkins posted:

I also used to make food for my partners, and vice versa, which is also something a parent would do for a child. Wow, this rabbit hole goes deeper than I'd thought!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Simple experiment for the people that don't think it's strange. Please get yourselves a set of pyjamas and reproduce the steps in the post every day for a month. Come back and report on your significant other's reaction.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Batterypowered7 posted:

Simple experiment for the people that don't think it's strange. Please get yourselves a set of pyjamas and reproduce the steps in the post every day for a month. Come back and report on your significant other's reaction.

LOL, like I'm ever going to have a significant other again. Good one!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I also used to make food for my partners, and vice versa, which is also something a parent would do for a child. Wow, this rabbit hole goes deeper than I'd thought!

Lmao yeah making someone a frickin quesadilla is p much the same thing.

At what point would you find this dudes SO's request weird? Would throwing in a stuffed animal be enough? Bringing her a pacifier?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I want to believe you're kidding, but just in case anyone else is swayed by this: almost nobody gets tucked in except by their parents, but enormous amounts of cooking is done by people who have less intimate relationships with the people they're feeding, including purely commercial ones. Hence, the former act has a stronger association with childhood than the latter.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doc Hawkins posted:

I want to believe you're kidding, but just in case anyone else is swayed by this: almost nobody gets tucked in except by their parents, but enormous amounts of cooking is done by people who have less intimate relationships with the people they're feeding, including purely commercial ones. Hence, the former act has a stronger association with childhood than the latter.

Ah, yes, the vast audience of people reading this thread who are this close to being convinced to dress up in jammies and ask to be tucked in and read the first Harry Potter novel. :allears:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

Sorry Hon, I’m not going to make soup for you and bring it to when you’re sick. For the vast majority of people only parents do that to their children and I don’t want to infantilize you and our relationship!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I wear my blue monkey pajajms to McDonalds and sway back and forth until the nice counter person notices me and takes my tendies order.

Carol on third shift knows I only like the skinny tendies and draws a smiley face on my box lid.