Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
nevermind.

your slapfight is stupid and i don't want to be a part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

If you generally feel that the only places people understand facts and thoughts or are in any way understandable to you are in debate club or in adversarial court rooms, rethink things. Ted Cruz was a debate club dude. You should be able to talk to people at home or socially without feeling like it would be more productive if the conversation was in debate club or court.

In this very loving thread on this very loving page people are twisting his words around, assigning beliefs to him (and me) because...logic? I'm not sure what your point even is.

Edit: goddamnit...on that last loving page

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're sailing past my whole point again, because of whatever weird beef you have with me.

When your point is that humans don’t always act rationally, I can get onboard. Readily and willingly.

When your point is that humans don’t always act rationally and your evidence is that your personal impeccable collection of thoughts and logic are the evidence of that claim, oh boy.

Humans don’t always act rationally. Agreed. If the reason you state that is how right you are and how wrong they are, lol.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

When your point is that humans don’t always act rationally and your evidence is that your personal impeccable collection of thoughts and logic are the evidence of that claim, oh boy.

You've never had an argument where you were 100% confident you were correct? :lol: I somehow find this hard to believe.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I see the above it all galaxy brains have arrived to show us the error of our ways.

Like on South Park.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

You've never had an argument where you were 100% confident you were correct? :lol: I somehow find this hard to believe.

100%, very rarely. 95%, sure, but I’ve never taken that as evidence that I am the center of logic and reason and other people aren’t capable of my superior reasoning.

Either Dead Reckoning is not expressing himself well or has a very high opinion of his logical process and a very low opinion of everyone else’s.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Toniiimaaa

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

100%, very rarely. 95%, sure, but I’ve never taken that as evidence that I am the center of logic and reason and other people aren’t capable of my superior reasoning.

Either Dead Reckoning is not expressing himself well or has a very high opinion of his logical process and a very low opinion of everyone else’s.

I think we've established that his explanations are very *BEEP BOOP* but it's generally not hard to figure out what he's actually trying to say. This isn't some holier than thou post; the rest of the forums come to this thread because most of the people in here are pretty drat smart. But 3 or 4 people just flip the switch to retard every time he posts no matter what he posts and it takes two pages to get poo poo back on track. And as far as I can tell it's because he's more conservative than anyone else here. I genuinely don't understand the railroad attacks, because he's not even a hardcore Trumptard. He's just more to the right than most of GIP. Big loving deal.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

I think we've established that his explanations are very *BEEP BOOP* but it's generally not hard to figure out what he's actually trying to say. This isn't some holier than thou post; the rest of the forums come to this thread because most of the people in here are pretty drat smart. But 3 or 4 people just flip the switch to retard every time he posts no matter what he posts and it takes two pages to get poo poo back on track. And as far as I can tell it's because he's more conservative than anyone else here. I genuinely don't understand the railroad attacks, because he's not even a hardcore Trumptard. He's just more to the right than most of GIP. Big loving deal.

Nah I’ve seen plenty of posters who are more conservative that don’t flip any switches. It’s his assertions about how logical and right and beep boop DR’s arguments are combined with weird as gently caress sexual assault arguments that alert me.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
We have/had the probation honey pot thread for this derail

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

poo poo, I don't even think I'm that right-wing. I just think a consistent set of agreed on rules and processes is more important than getting a good result every time. Which is pretty *beep-boop*, I guess, but I think it's better than the alternative. I get that's why people disagree with me, but I don't see why that disagreement is so wildly incomprehensible and drives people nuts.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

According to all the news, he agreed to take the deal less than 24 hours before it hit said news.

While lying to the FBI is a terrible idea, lying for the FBI is something that can work out.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

poo poo, I don't even think I'm that right-wing. I just think a consistent set of agreed on rules and processes is more important than getting a good result every time. Which is pretty *beep-boop*, I guess, but I think it's better than the alternative. I get that's why people disagree with me, but I don't see why that disagreement is so wildly incomprehensible and drives people nuts.

shut the gently caress up

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

While lying to the FBI is a terrible idea, lying for the FBI is something that can work out.

Yea the Flynn soap opera is way more exciting and less depressing than the tax one right now.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
sometimes this thread makes me realize how easy it is to disagree with someone just because they are insufferable, rather than disagreeing with them because they are wrong.

and it gives me a crystal clear insight on our political process.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is a forum where people typically come to relax and get away from the... how do you put it? The “consistent set of agreed on rules and processes” that frequently lead to ridiculous and self-defeating behavior in the military. It’s not a matter of being right-wing or left-wing. It’s that you are very heavily authoritarian in a forum where most people are very anti-authoritarian.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

suck my dick from the back, hail ss-18 Satan etc

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

suck my dick from the back, hail ss-18 Satan etc

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_fate_of_the_universe#False_vacuum

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Cleansing passage and fire shall relieve us of the tyranny of this awful tax bill. My parents are freaking out because they've been putting off retirement 'for a few more years' for a decade now and this will directly reduce their already meager ability to save.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I like DR posts for offering an alternative thought process that causes people to rabidly attack him while offering very little in return. It's like just seeing a DR post causes people to turn off critical thinking and empathy, it's great.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
obviously his ideas must also be discussed and the truth is in the middle bing bong Trump is now President

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm starting to wonder when we'll see violence against elected officials break out more commonly.

I've been waiting ever since the baseball shooting; you can only beat a dog so many times before it snaps back at you. This tax bill feels like part of the breaking point; it directly fucks so many people in a blatant fuckin' cash grab for the rich.

Of course, we may just end up living a cyberpunk reality where everything is poo poo for everyone but the ultra-rich, forever

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Professor Bling posted:

I'm starting to wonder when we'll see violence against elected officials break out more commonly.

I've been waiting ever since the baseball shooting; you can only beat a dog so many times before it snaps back at you. This tax bill feels like part of the breaking point; it directly fucks so many people in a blatant fuckin' cash grab for the rich.

Of course, we may just end up living a cyberpunk reality where everything is poo poo for everyone but the ultra-rich, forever

Kinda been wondering that myself. I imagine it'll take a year or so to put a few people in a 'my retirement is gone / I am bankrupt due to medical bills' stage before it starts taking off but I think its the next step in our current arc of history. People gunning down cops etc is just a prelude.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gently caress you for avatar. I wanted it!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The tax bill will take some time to show effects right? It’s not like Trump is going sign it and then the next day HR sends out an email blast explaining how your withholding changed.

Or is that exactly how it’ll work?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress you for avatar. I wanted it!

succ

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

hobbesmaster posted:

The tax bill will take some time to show effects right? It’s not like Trump is going sign it and then the next day HR sends out an email blast explaining how your withholding changed.

Or is that exactly how it’ll work?

April 2019 I believe. If it kicks into effect for next year starting in Jan 2018.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well that’ll lead to some changes in pay checks in just a couple of weeks then. I guess I gave Republicans too much credit for being sneaky

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This tax bill will be directly responsible for the unionization of grad students and I will die of laughter

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Well that’ll lead to some changes in pay checks in just a couple of weeks then. I guess I gave Republicans too much credit for being sneaky

Their donors want the cuts ASAP and know they have them by the balls before midterms if they don't deliver.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

This tax bill will be directly responsible for the unionization of grad students and I will die of laughter

Senate version doesn’t have that provision in it at least.

I suspect if it goes through the universities will have to dramatically change the accounting of grad school or it’ll become international students only.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Senate version doesn’t have that provision in it at least.

I suspect if it goes through the universities will have to dramatically change the accounting of grad school or it’ll become international students only.

The international students still have to pay income tax. Mine does at least.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

im p sure the super marxist dicksucks already are trying that poo poo tho

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Viva Miriya posted:

Unionizing graduate students is a good thing.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

That Works posted:

Unionizing graduate students is a good thing.

c but im saying, already in the works

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

tony mah

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Viva Miriya posted:

:allears:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

U TRIGGERED LIBTARD? ABOUT TO MELT DOWN? HUH? huh I CANT HEAR YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Viva Miriya posted:

c but im saying, already in the works

It gets stomped out pretty hard at a lot of schools. Would be nice if it could be universally done. (I'm a former grad student and current professor).

I tried to pay my graduate students more out of federal grant funds I won and my University literally would not let me. It's bullshit.

• Locked thread