Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I can see their logic, if they somehow thibg that there is another, better stratagem they're not getting because this one took its place in the book. That assu.ptuon is bat poo poo insane, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Liquid Communism posted:

I can see their logic, if they somehow thibg that there is another, better stratagem they're not getting because this one took its place in the book. That assu.ptuon is bat poo poo insane, though.

It also kinda relies on the assumpion that every army with stratagems, all of their stratagems are amazing and are always used.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah it's the same reason why a clone in Smash Brothers is the reason why Ridley isn't in the game.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Liquid Communism posted:

I think that you'll find that there are, objectively, no better stratagems than The Lion and the Wolf.

Seriously though, as DA I'd want to use that before the game (without CP cost) if I were fighting against SW. It's a great bit of fluff-as-rules.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TheChirurgeon posted:

I seriously don't understand how half of these idiots even function. I saw a hundred+ comment thread on Facebook this weekend about hams complaining that the Skyshield doesn't "work" because you aren't allowed to be on top of it and you can't embark inside it.

It's taken a long, long, long time to explain how spilt firing works to a dozen separate nerds at my GW, and even then they still don't understand it.

Edit: Disgustingly Resilient and the Blightspawn's stank ability seems to elude their understanding as well.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 3, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Hell I had a game today where the guy tried to tell me that as long as one model in the unit has LOS and is in rapid fire range then everyone else can fire rapid fire regardless of what their range and LOS is like, and someone backed him up.

He also insists that pistols can be fired into melee even if the model with the pistol isn't in the melee

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'd really like to see them add some sort of "fire into melee" rule even if it's only for a handful of armies/factions

Like a success is a success but if you miss then the shot instantly goes to one of your own dudes

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goose willis posted:

I'd really like to see them add some sort of "fire into melee" rule even if it's only for a handful of armies/factions

Like a success is a success but if you miss then the shot instantly goes to one of your own dudes

Valhallans have this rule already. One a 1 you hit your guys.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

goose willis posted:

Yeah, it should be a thing but only between certain units. CSM should be able to shoot into melees involving cultists, or orks and gretchin for example.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Ilor posted:

Wait, wait, wait. I thought the whole point of Primaris marines was that the flaws in their geneseeds had been "corrected" by Cawl. How do Primaris Blood Angels still have the Red Thirst?

The HH books heavily implied that the Red Thirst already existed before Sanguinius died, and he was trying to keep it secret so that his Legion wouldn't get "Russed."

Cawl also stated that he wanted to preserve the things that make each Legion unique, while removing the stuff that is *too* detrimental. So, no to the Black Rage, yes to the Red Thirst, in a controlled way.

Also, probably yes to "Thousand Sons are great Psykers" no to "they keep mutating into terrifying horrors." Presuming the latter was actually a geneseed flaw, I'm not entirely sure. . . .

What will be very interesting is what he's done with the Space Wolves and their Primaris: will we have Primaris Wulfen? I'd wager not, but there are some advantages to the Canis Helix.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
An Ork firing into a melee that a Grot has got stuck into is a shameful Ork. Now a sneaky Grot firing into melee involving that Nob Wazgut wot used him for a mouth brush the other day...

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Nobody tell that fuckwit about apothecaries, it might blow his loving mind.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Xarlaxas posted:

The HH books heavily implied that the Red Thirst already existed before Sanguinius died, and he was trying to keep it secret so that his Legion wouldn't get "Russed".

More than heavily implied; it's flat out confirmed. One if the core threads in Fear to Tread is the Legion's struggle with the Red Thirst.

Horus finds out about it, but promises Sanguinius that he will keep it a secret to protect him, only to later use it to lure the entire legion into a trap. Horus tells Sanguinius that he thinks he's found a cure, but it's far away, in the Signus Cluster, so Sanguinius mounts up with the boys, and arrives to find the system completely consumed by demons, who want to turn Sanguinius and the legion.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Xarlaxas posted:

The HH books heavily implied that the Red Thirst already existed before Sanguinius died, and he was trying to keep it secret so that his Legion wouldn't get "Russed."

Hope he returns and "Russes" some of his own army.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Frobbe posted:

12 year old, he's the winner in the young blood part of a painting competition at my flgs.

i'll ask him about his technique next time he's at the store. Might also want to work on the whole reading part :v:

tbf, 'Guess how old the painter is' can still be referring to yourself in a joking kind of way, especially if we don't know your age.

That being said, it's extremely drat good for a 12 year old. I was just starting to learn how to put base coats on without destroying all the detail or covering up other colors when I was 12.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

In "Hams are loving idiots" news, the Warhammer discord I am in just had a 35 minute argument over whether or not you can use <Red Scorpions> as your <Chapter> so they can use Culln.

The reasonable side is "Yes, of course, because using <Red Scorpions> means you share a keyword with Culln". The other side was "Red Scorpions don't have a chapter tactic, therefore you can't use it as a chapter", which, by extension, means you legally can't use Culln without breaking keyword.

:psyduck:

The SM book even specifically says that if your chosen chapter doesn't have a Chapter Tactic, you just pick whichever one fits best. Do they think you just can't play FW chapters at all?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JoshTheStampede posted:

The SM book even specifically says that if your chosen chapter doesn't have a Chapter Tactic, you just pick whichever one fits best. Do they think you just can't play FW chapters at all?

Based on the stupid loving conversations I've seen, I imagine that was brought up and the other side just concocted some elaborate reason why that wasn't the case and screamed about RAW vs RAI (while completely ignoring that their argument is entirely based on an interpretation... RAI).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Broken Record Talk posted:

More than heavily implied; it's flat out confirmed. One if the core threads in Fear to Tread is the Legion's struggle with the Red Thirst.

Horus finds out about it, but promises Sanguinius that he will keep it a secret to protect him, only to later use it to lure the entire legion into a trap. Horus tells Sanguinius that he thinks he's found a cure, but it's far away, in the Signus Cluster, so Sanguinius mounts up with the boys, and arrives to find the system completely consumed by demons, who want to turn Sanguinius and the legion.

It's also noted in a couple of other books that Malcador and Magnus knew about it, too. Magnus didn't care about it one way or the other, and Malcador just observed to Rogal Dorn that every legion has its own demons to contend with, citing the Red Thirst as the problem even the angelic Blood Angels wrestle with.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Finished the new Fire Dragon test model (on the right, old scheme on the left). Definitely gonna go ahead with the new design

It looks a little sloppy in the image, but in real-life it looks pretty great :)

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 4, 2017

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
I'm a big fan of your new scheme, it pops really well, and the blends are fantastic.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Yeah the new one looks fantastic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Do you have to set aside points for spore mines from a biovore miss, like summoning, or do you just get them for free? The codex makes it sound like the latter but I wanna check.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you have to set aside points for spore mines from a biovore miss, like summoning, or do you just get them for free? The codex makes it sound like the latter but I wanna check.

Spore mines created by another unit are always free.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

JoshTheStampede posted:

Spore mines created by another unit are always free.

I'm guessing that includes the stratagem too? Still want to see someone pull off the colossal dick move of 48 mortal wounds sitting outside the enemy deployment that have to be dealt with.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Artum posted:

I'm guessing that includes the stratagem too? Still want to see someone pull off the colossal dick move of 48 mortal wounds sitting outside the enemy deployment that have to be dealt with.

Sadly no - it specifies mines created by other UNITS are free. As written the strat requires you to pay 3CP and also points for the mines, making it basically worthless unless FAQd.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I assume they don't like that DA players will be stealing their valour taking their knot by using token SW detachments. Such disrespect, much insult.

*sucks beer from beard*

I mean, I get that it's weird to put a strategem in a codex that requires taking something outside of that codex, but it's still a good strat, and the fluff behind it loving rules. I'm legit considering picking up (or stealing from Shadow Daesh) some Space Wolves, just so I can use it.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 4, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

To whoever posted that Gothic Ruin Sector terrain set: THANK YOU SO MUCH

I mean holy gently caress you get a TON of terrain and it fits together easily and looks AMAZING

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

To whoever posted that Gothic Ruin Sector terrain set: THANK YOU SO MUCH

I mean holy gently caress you get a TON of terrain and it fits together easily and looks AMAZING

Which was this? I want to make sure it's in my bookmarks for when I can finally afford space for a gaming table.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

https://ttcombat.com/products/ruin-sector

You can find it on eBay too if you don't feel like signing up for another website

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I appreciate the link

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

It's the same price on eBay and probably the same seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TTCombat-Sci-Fi-Scenics-Gothic-Ruin-Sector-Great-for-40k/351528341302

Fantastic value, the pictures don't make it seem as large as it actually is, you get a lot for the price

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Broken Record Talk posted:

I'm a big fan of your new scheme, it pops really well, and the blends are fantastic.

Artum posted:

Yeah the new one looks fantastic.

Thanks fellas. I'm rebuilding to 2000 points, I'll post updates as I go.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
So, finished my first game with the new BA dex (or at least as much of it as I could find, I think I'm still missing around 10 strategems)

1500 points, playing the chapter approved eternal war mission where you score victory points at the end of each turn for units you killed and each objective you hold.

My list:

Lemartes
Librarian Dread (warlord w/ +1D on the halberd, has quickening and wings)
JP Sang Priest

2x 5-man tactical squad with lascannon
10-man intercessor squad

5-man Sang Guard w/ 5x plasma pistol, 2x axe, 3x sword
Sang Ancient w/angelus boltgun and sword
10-man Death Company w/ 10x chainsword, 5x power axe, 5x power sword

10-man assault squad w/ 3x plasma pistol, thunderhammer

His list:

Librarian
Captain dude with custodes spear
Captain dude in terminator armor

2x 10-man deathwatch squads in rhinos, all pimped out
9-man deathwatch squad not in a rhino, also all pimped out (exactly 0 boltguns between all 3 squads)

I feel kinda bad because he lost the game at list building. He gets first turn and drives the rhinos forwards, but otherwise doesn't do anything because he has no ranged shooting past like 24" for the frag cannon solid shot. My first turn I deepstrike poo poo in, push the death company up, and start walking the intercessors to an objective out of my DZ. Death company surround the rhino and kill it in assault, though it explodes and kills 2 of them so 3 of the deathwatch get to disembark (spoiler: they die to morale). Librarian dread flys up and trivially pulps his librarian. Lascannons accomplish nothing, but sanguinary guard make their charge from DS (3d6 charge range is amazing, even when your roll is 4-1-1 you can still command point a 1 and make it). They kill 4 guys in the 9 man squad, with his storm shield getting really lucky on saves.

Turn 2 he disembarks his remaining squad, barely kills my ancient with all their shooting, deepstrikes his terminator captain in front of my intercessors, and his other watch captain kills another 2 death company before dieing to them and lemartes. The sanguinary guard finish off the squad they're fighting. On my turn the librarian dread flies over to the third squad, rolls a 3 for quickening attacks, and a 3 for red rampage attacks bringing him up to 9 attacks that hit and wound on 2s at -4. Him + death company finish off the last squad. He then had a rhino and terminator captain left.

I think that's about where the game ended, though my timelines might be off by a touch because I thought we were on turn 3. Either way I lost 3 intercessors, 1 sanguinary guard, the sanguinary guard ancient, and 5 death company. He was essentially tabled.

My takeaways: 1500 points is not enough to run both SG and DC. I didn't have enough support for either of them, and I had essentially no ranged anti-tank. Red Thirst is extremely strong when you charge, but you need to make sure you can win a combat when you do so since most units can't fall back and charge again. SG still feel like they need +1a, so I want to either run a second librarian to buff other units or get the sanguinor painted up. I couldn't really tell how many units performed since it was such a stomp.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Yeah, that strategem is cool as hell. Dakka getting diaper devastated over it is perfect. Once the AwuuBoiz get their 'dex it'll be a easy choice.

The new scheme is phenomenal. How hard was the shading? It's gorgeous.

goose willis posted:

Gothic Ruin Sector

Post some pics when it's painted up!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah I'm gonna prime it tomorrow, hopefully this will get rid of the smoky wood smell and replace it instead with the scent of highly toxic paint

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
poo poo that looks great, bookmarking this so I can buy that terrain after my move.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Yes or no?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Xarlaxas posted:

What will be very interesting is what he's done with the Space Wolves and their Primaris: will we have Primaris Wulfen? I'd wager not, but there are some advantages to the Canis Helix.

Probably won't be an issue any time soon, anyway. IIRC for most of them, becoming Wulfen isn't something that happens until late in their careers anyway, as the Canis Helix changes are progressive.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

:bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've got a dumb idiot question.

Besides the tests involved with them, what exactly makes a piece of terrain difficult or dangerous beyond mutual agreement? Jumping out of a window without a jump pack or hopping across rocks in a river of lava is pretty obvious, is there anything people use as terrain that it could be argued as one or the other before a game starts?