Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm on Aether, but I haven't cleared O3S yet, let alone O4S. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Turns out the WoL is thirsty as gently caress and wants the puff puff.

Prim
Sep 15, 2004
Saucy.

Kuvo posted:

Another quick question, this time about housing stuff: How do i get very large items (such as the troupe stage) to float via the counter surface placement trick? It seems that to stack large objects (like the tier 4 aquaurium) i need to place it on top of a even bigger base object (like a cask rack) but the troupe stage is so huge it hasn't worked with anything i've tried.
Few pages back but it looks like this didn't get answered fully -- you can float big non-tabletop items using the storage glitch. It only works along permanent items like walls, windows, doors, etc., but it allows for some neat combos. There's more info here:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...l=1#post4450644

I was able to add a ton of space to my apartment with a few troupe stages (keep in mind half of a piece of furniture will be in the wall, so you might need to use more items than you would placing it normally).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Yep!

How do you feel about Adamantoise population? I hear some people complaining but I tend to brush it off
It seems alright to me. Never had a huge issue with getting anything done, though I've yet to do some of the big FATES.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

There's a semi active hunting linkshell group whose been housecleaning the list for new people, try to flag them down next time you catch a hunt on party finder. Saved my life when it came to Ixion spotting

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

This is cool, but I can't help but see a Paissa face in that sectional couch.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Stormblood SAM quests kind of sucked. It was very hard to disagree with the bad guys up until the second-to-last quest, and I think the writers realized that, because the second-to-last and final quest had the bad guy suddenly spiral off into insane YES BLOODWARFARE MAKES EVERYONE HARDENED AND SUCCESSFUL which was a big departure from the previous message of "God drat the Bakufu loving sucks yet we're enforcing it regardless please more poor people become cops."

Even after vanquishing the main villain there's no real examination of exactly how the "good" side is going to do good things at all whatsoever, it's just like "You are a successful Samurai! Look no more closely."

I feel like this was a real missed opportunity for the writing team, but in all fairness the Heavensward SAM quests were similarly missing a limb in how it presented its plot.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TheHeadSage posted:

Turns out the WoL is thirsty as gently caress and wants the puff puff.

My WoL isn't a casual who hasn't played DQ and knows what puff-puff is, which is why she was disappointed when they used crappy phurbles.

(She is casual and bad at all other things)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Even after vanquishing the main villain there's no real examination of exactly how the "good" side is going to do good things at all whatsoever, it's just like "You are a successful Samurai! Look no more closely."

I feel like this was a real missed opportunity for the writing team, but in all fairness the Heavensward SAM quests were similarly missing a limb in how it presented its plot.

The entire plot was pretty much a standard 'you are good student who must put down bad student because bad student is bad' trope that directly followed off of 50-60's 'this old dude is looking for one last chance to redeem himself and you're it.'
As someone who saw those arcs coming pretty much the most engaging and interesting thing about it was the crazy sword magic that happens in your fights. It's good stuff.

I also disagree with finding it hard to disagree with the bad guys. Sure Kugane's not perfect but bloody coup's are bloody and if you want to paint Kugane red you're going to want to find a different medium other than blood. It stinks :colbert:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A great mystery: Why will DPS never use their limit breaks except, maybe, when the boss is nearly dead? I am talking about dungeons and leveling and such, I'm sure there's a formal strategy for them with end game content.

But you could help burn down a big pull, and shorten the dungeon materially.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

A great mystery: Why will DPS never use their limit breaks except, maybe, when the boss is nearly dead? I am talking about dungeons and leveling and such, I'm sure there's a formal strategy for them with end game content.

But you could help burn down a big pull, and shorten the dungeon materially.

Couple reasons:

1: it's team resource, and no one wants to be accused of "wasting" it, so they leave it for someone else to take care of.

2: using it impacts your personal performance, and people who take their numbers in EXDR way too seriously will leave the job to someone else.

3: people are either dumb or braindead because it's content they've done a thousand times.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Anime finish is so cool dudes so cool.

that's why

I usually forget we have a limit break from maining healer most of the time but I use caster LB on big pulls when needed.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I wasted an LB once. I was tanking a Castrum Abania and after Number XXIV went down, we were getting ready to move to the next pull and I mistakenly fired it. I have Limit Break bound to L on my keyboard, which is normally far enough away from my other bindings that I won't fat-finger it by mistake, but somehow I ended up hitting it and was like, "Oh, oops."

Fortunately, I was with goons and they didn't care.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Question: What's the point in crafting if people are undercutting me anyway?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Reddit?

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away

Leofish posted:

I wasted an LB once. I was tanking a Castrum Abania and after Number XXIV went down, we were getting ready to move to the next pull and I mistakenly fired it. I have Limit Break bound to L on my keyboard, which is normally far enough away from my other bindings that I won't fat-finger it by mistake, but somehow I ended up hitting it and was like, "Oh, oops."

I always LB in raids as a smn, just because bahamut wings.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Repairing your own stuff, I guess.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Phone posted:

Reddit?

Nah, just winding someone up who REALLY loves posts like that.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Leofish posted:

This is really funny every time it happens.

As for why I never use LB, it's because I always forget it exists because I'm auto-piloting through braindead content. On the off chance I do remember it's there, I'm usually halfway through my first flare and at that point it's not worth it because everything's about to die anyway.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this, but if I'm tanking or healing and the last boss of a dungeon is at like 3% health, and we have a full limit break bar, I'm going to loving use it

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Jay Rust posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this, but if I'm tanking or healing and the last boss of a dungeon is at like 3% health, and we have a full limit break bar, I'm going to loving use it

I start looking to hit it at 10%, 15 if I'm dpsing. No reason for it to have not been used by then.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I used an Astral Stasis on the first boss of Royal City because we were at 2% and no one seemed to want to use it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I like to start cancelling it repeatedly at 10% or thereabouts so it keeps going WOOOOSHHHH--WOOOOSHHH--WOOOOSHH--WOOOOSHH--WOOOOSHH--

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Kuvo posted:

reposting stuff i typed about crafting from the last incarnation of this thread

- Crafting is an all or nothing thing at least til level 50. You have cross class skills that you're dependent on to craft high end stuff.
- As far as leveling, unlock every class and just work through the crafting log in the guildhouse to knock out levels 1-10 or so. You can get all the mats from the vendor in the guild and you can get to level 10-15 just doing that without too much trouble.
- Once you have every class to level 15, the general focus should be cul to 37 (for hasty touch II), weaver to 50 (for careful synth II) and crp to 50 (for byregot's blessing). These skills form the foundation of all crafting and will be used extensivly.
- https://www.ffxivguild.com/ffxiv-alc-alchemist-leveling-guide-ffxivarr/ this site has 1-70 guides for every DoH class. After lv 15ish you're going to get most of your levels by mass crafting things for leve turn ins. These guides will show you your leve options and give recommendations on which are the easiest/cheapest. Check the AH for prices before doing any of these cus sometimes its cheaper to buy poo poo off the AH and turn them in (ie, PotD has made potions cheap as gently caress so leveling certain ALC tiers is easy as pie)
- Don't sweat mats you get from mobs. Check the marketboard. If they sell for <100 gil a piece don't worry about cluttering your inventory with it.
- Make sure once you've got everything unlocked you do your daily grand company supply and provisioning missions.
- always try to do HQs for leve turn ins, as you get double XP for them
- some of the lv 40-50 leve's suck, so use the Ixal quests if you need to.
- from 51+, the moogle quests are a godsend, and you get glass fiber which sells for quite a bit
- http://www.garlandtools.org/db/ is a item database. if you look up a craftable item and click the "crafting" tab it shows you what materials are required. click the "tree" icon to see prerequisites items. You can click "Add to crafting list" to add the items to a "shopping list" if youre doing more then one craft. you can also click "Open in simulator" to open...
- http://ffxiv-beta.lokyst.net/#/simulator. This site is amazing. It allows you to enter your crafting stats and try out rotations before you do it in game. A quick rundown of how to use it
----- Click the "crafter attributes" tab at the top. Enter your stats for all 8 DoH classes. make sure to click the "By Level" button near the actions after you enter that DoH's level.
----- on the simulator tab, choose the DoH class and the item you want to craft. Click the "solve" button. It uses genetic algorithms to try to find a solution to the craft. You may need to run it multiple times to get something good. Note that this it trys using all unlocked DoH skills, so make sure you update your crafter attributes as you level up.
----- If you need to tweek the rotation (you normally will), click the "Edit results in simulator" button, then click "Edit". You can then drag and drop the DoH skills in the rotation timeline. It will keep track of buffs/CP/Progress/Quailty for you. When you're done you can click the "Macro" tab and copy/paste the macro in game.
- https://autohotkey.com/ if you use the crafting solver to generate an in game macro, its not to hard to have a program press a button every minute while you go do other things...

Thanks, this is really helpful!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I used an Astral Stasis on the first boss of Royal City because we were at 2% and no one seemed to want to use it.

If nobody uses it on Mateus at least you can use a caster LB2 to murder a ton of chocobos in the next pull. This still assumes somebody in the party is willing to use LB on trash though.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

- Repair your own stuff
- Meld your own materia without paying NPC fees
- Class quests shower you in materia which can be melded or sold off for cash money, and they also have some good lore (50 ARM quest is pretty memorable)
- Easier to do the weekly Custom Deliveries at higher levels (you only need 1 class leveled for this)
- Some beast tribe quests require a crafter to complete them (also only needs 1 class)
- Help out friends and FC mates with lowbie HQ gear
- Achievements

I'm enjoying having something to do progression-wise that's not Duty Finder. I've been gradually leveling up all the crafting classes with my current goal to be to get all the yellow scrip mainhands plus full sets of i320 DoH/DoL gear.

After that's all done, I'll start getting more anal about my materia. Right now I just threw on a bunch of IVs so I can safely rearrange them as needed. Not quite ready to min-max with Vs and VIs or overmeld yet.

I wouldn't go into crafting expecting to make a lot of money. I'd do it because you enjoy it. Then you can figure out ways to make bank off what's available to you.

e: VVVVVVV :agreed: All of that info is very good.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 4, 2017

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Kuvo posted:

reposting stuff i typed about crafting from the last incarnation of this thread

- Crafting is an all or nothing thing at least til level 50. You have cross class skills that you're dependent on to craft high end stuff.
- As far as leveling, unlock every class and just work through the crafting log in the guildhouse to knock out levels 1-10 or so. You can get all the mats from the vendor in the guild and you can get to level 10-15 just doing that without too much trouble.
- Once you have every class to level 15, the general focus should be cul to 37 (for hasty touch II), weaver to 50 (for careful synth II) and crp to 50 (for byregot's blessing). These skills form the foundation of all crafting and will be used extensivly.
- https://www.ffxivguild.com/ffxiv-alc-alchemist-leveling-guide-ffxivarr/ this site has 1-70 guides for every DoH class. After lv 15ish you're going to get most of your levels by mass crafting things for leve turn ins. These guides will show you your leve options and give recommendations on which are the easiest/cheapest. Check the AH for prices before doing any of these cus sometimes its cheaper to buy poo poo off the AH and turn them in (ie, PotD has made potions cheap as gently caress so leveling certain ALC tiers is easy as pie)
- Don't sweat mats you get from mobs. Check the marketboard. If they sell for <100 gil a piece don't worry about cluttering your inventory with it.
- Make sure once you've got everything unlocked you do your daily grand company supply and provisioning missions.
- always try to do HQs for leve turn ins, as you get double XP for them
- some of the lv 40-50 leve's suck, so use the Ixal quests if you need to.
- from 51+, the moogle quests are a godsend, and you get glass fiber which sells for quite a bit
- http://www.garlandtools.org/db/ is a item database. if you look up a craftable item and click the "crafting" tab it shows you what materials are required. click the "tree" icon to see prerequisites items. You can click "Add to crafting list" to add the items to a "shopping list" if youre doing more then one craft. you can also click "Open in simulator" to open...
- http://ffxiv-beta.lokyst.net/#/simulator. This site is amazing. It allows you to enter your crafting stats and try out rotations before you do it in game. A quick rundown of how to use it
----- Click the "crafter attributes" tab at the top. Enter your stats for all 8 DoH classes. make sure to click the "By Level" button near the actions after you enter that DoH's level.
----- on the simulator tab, choose the DoH class and the item you want to craft. Click the "solve" button. It uses genetic algorithms to try to find a solution to the craft. You may need to run it multiple times to get something good. Note that this it trys using all unlocked DoH skills, so make sure you update your crafter attributes as you level up.
----- If you need to tweek the rotation (you normally will), click the "Edit results in simulator" button, then click "Edit". You can then drag and drop the DoH skills in the rotation timeline. It will keep track of buffs/CP/Progress/Quailty for you. When you're done you can click the "Macro" tab and copy/paste the macro in game.
- https://autohotkey.com/ if you use the crafting solver to generate an in game macro, its not to hard to have a program press a button every minute while you go do other things...

This should probably be added to the OP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is leveling a gathering class worth it for the money, or do mats generally not sell for enough to be worth the time investment? I'm not too interested in crafting, but I would like to have more gil so that it's less painful to kit out my gear in grade VI materia whenever I replace a piece.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't know if materia retrieval requires crafting levels, but that's a pretty huge deal if so.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
One thing I forgot to put on that crafting guide: if your GC squadron is decently leveled one of the weekly lv 50 mission rewards is Squadron Engineering Manuals x5, which give +20% crafting xp for 2 hours.

edit: vvvv ya those are nice at lower levels but thats like 2 crafts at 60+

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 4, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kuvo posted:

One thing I forgot to put on that crafting guide: if your GC squadron is decently leveled one of the weekly lv 50 mission rewards is Squadron Engineering Manuals x5, which give +20% crafting xp for 2 hours.

or you can use GC seals to buy one that gives you +50% for up to 100k XP

It's nice at low levels. I haven't used them at high levels yet but I imagine you have to eat them like candy. It's not like GC seals are hard to come by or anything though

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm currently in the middle of a gathering and crafting grind, and here are my notes!

get off of my market board, I saw it first

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Every time you spend GC seals it's one less Kan-E Senna portrait for your house.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Renegret posted:

It's nice at low levels. I haven't used them at high levels yet but I imagine you have to eat them like candy. It's not like GC seals are hard to come by or anything though

You can also buy the ones that grant +50% up to 300k with red scrips. They're not too pricey, from what I remember, and you also get some of those for doing some class quests. It's decent supplemental EXP while you're crafting leve turn-ins.

Saint Freak posted:

Every time you spend GC seals it's one less Merlwyb portrait for your house.

Fixed that for you :colbert:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Renegret posted:

They're not that great after 60. 100,000 XP is just a little over 2% of a level at 61, and less than 1% at 69.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Company X Manual II are only good until 50 for the most part. If you use a Survival one when doing 3.0 gathering, you have to refresh it after like 15 nodes or something.

UNLOCK COLLECTIBLES.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I failed the DRK intro :smith:

I think I took too much darkness into my heart. :Riku:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I failed the DRK intro :smith:

I think I failed that one seven times because I had no idea how to tank until I went to the Hall of the Novice. :shepicide:

All of the others up to 50 I did in one shot, though. I might go up to 70 once I finish getting everything else to 50.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
is WHM still the top healer? I just hit 30 on my cnj and remembered that was what I was leveling before I left.

Not having to loving multi-class for soul gems is the best change they've ever made to this game period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Yeah WHM is great.