Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

It's a good thing but, based on my limited college experience, I always imagine the person that would be spearheading this thing to be someone who self identifies as a anarcho-communist, with a hipster beard, and a philosophy undergrad degree.

That Works posted:

It gets stomped out pretty hard at a lot of schools. Would be nice if it could be universally done. (I'm a former grad student and current professor).

I tried to pay my graduate students more out of federal grant funds I won and my University literally would not let me. It's bullshit.

Good to know school admins are chickenshit everywhere heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Viva Miriya posted:

It's a good thing but, based on my limited college experience, I always imagine the person that would be spearheading this thing to be someone who self identifies as a anarcho-communist, with a hipster beard, and a philosophy undergrad degree.

Good to know school admins are chickenshit everywhere heh.

It's usually an older grad student who is trying to cover for a spouse or a kid and is realizing that they are getting hosed over way more than professionals at other jobs. And yeah, the admins are bullshit. Like, legitimately can't even give me a reason why it can't be done. I've escalated it up to some meetings with people above them in the semester break but right now I'm trying to find the best way to directly give some cash to my people to cover their tax payments if that does go through so they don't have to quit / leave the country.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

The only success I've ever had in discussions with tea partiers is when trying to pitch good policy to their worst instincts. They'll come around on the abortion question after you point out enough times that 16 million kids are never gonna break into your car now.

Nah, the response to that is that they should just be allowed to shoot them all. A lot of pro-lifers are totally OK with post-natal abortions.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bullets cost money, why waste perfectly good JHP when you can get mom to pay for it

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
what does the tax plan say about private prisons? anything?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

That Works posted:

It's usually an older grad student who is trying to cover for a spouse or a kid and is realizing that they are getting hosed over way more than professionals at other jobs. And yeah, the admins are bullshit. Like, legitimately can't even give me a reason why it can't be done. I've escalated it up to some meetings with people above them in the semester break but right now I'm trying to find the best way to directly give some cash to my people to cover their tax payments if that does go through so they don't have to quit / leave the country.

And here I was thinking about getting my MBA one day.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

boop the snoot posted:

what does the tax plan say about private prisons? anything?

Probably set their tax rate at -200% or something astonishingly evil

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

That Works posted:

Ok I stand corrected and yeah thats loving chickenshit. Like all of that is bullshit.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
e: nvm

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BigDave posted:

You weren't going to get tuition waived for an MBA in any case.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

at the date posted:

You weren't going to get tuition waived for an MBA in any case.

I might be mis-remembering, but don't they also consider Employer Tuition Reimbursement to be a separate taxable event?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BigDave posted:

MBA is a different animal, don't let this kinda stuff stop you.

MBA ends up being a complete, you pay for the experience kind of deal. The other grad school stuff is far more 'on the job training' with very little coursework past your 1st year and spend the rest of the time working and/or teaching.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Immanentized posted:

I might be mis-remembering, but don't they also consider Employer Tuition Reimbursement to be a separate taxable event?

i hope not because that's what i'm banking on to get the credits i need for a CPA

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Immanentized posted:

It’s a fringe benefit above a certain (low) limit apparently.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

In a 'fair' system it would be taxed as well. Not that I want that for anyone.

In the current system, companies can provide relevant on the job training or access to higher ed without penalty. If I do the same for my employees (in higher ed) it's at a substantial penalty for people making a pretty lovely income.

Most of my students take actual classes for the 1st year then sign up for 'research credit hours' basically accruing credit class hours for their time researching in the lab. They 'pay' tuition on this but it is up to me to pay for it out of federal grant funding etc so they never pay for that, but beyond the 1st year the tuition charges are all bullshit anyway. While they are accruing credit hours for 'class', there is no class. This is another way the Universities can skim off of the grant funding of their employees (me in this case).

Everything about the system is poo poo, but the bill specifically is only punishing the bottom rung of a lovely system (the graduate students). My 2 employees earn 24k per year and will be taxed at around a 79k per year rate if that part goes through. It's just utter bullshit and compounds the problems of an already hosed up system.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

BigDave posted:

That Works posted:

MBA is a different animal, don't let this kinda stuff stop you.

MBA ends up being a complete, you pay for the experience kind of deal. The other grad school stuff is far more 'on the job training' with very little coursework past your 1st year and spend the rest of the time working and/or teaching.

Seconding this, I'm going back to finish an MBA despite already having an MS. I got a sweet deal from my undergrad/grad school that let me finish the degree for only 2/3rd of the normal coursework.
One thing I realized, 3 years after completing my program, was that I might have a technically focused business degree that gave me all sorts of insight into technology management, but I had very little demonstrable knowledge and exposure to the networking and general team-working opportunities that the MBA did. Another thing is that when I talked to my director about going back for an MBA, the dude was genuinely excited because we'd been talking about jumping up to management, but lacked opportunities to practice and development certain skills. The MBA provides a proven program where people can learn these skills. It's not a guarantee at all, but it's a good risk to take.

As long as you aren't Joe Blogs in the call center thinking that an MBA from StateSchool$ will get you into the C suite overnight and you're willing to do some schmoozing and busy work, it's a benefit that can really take you places. It works the same way that professional certifications do- it's a baseline that says that not only can a person perform the task, but they've put the time and work in to fill a specific spot in an organization

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 4, 2017

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Waiting on the announcement that VA education and compensation and pension payments are now taxable income.

GI Bill is double taxable.

Edit: Triple taxable: Tuition, housing, book stipend.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

Waiting on the announcement that VA education and compensation and pension payments are now taxable income.

GI Bill is double taxable.

Edit: Triple taxable: Tuition, housing, book stipend.

:same:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Dear Veteran

*THIS IS NOT A BILL*

This letter is to inform you that your VA Health Care has been tranferred to Veterans Health Solutions LLC #13 in the newer better, FREE market FREEDOM act of 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Your Battle Buddy posted:

Dear Veteran

*THIS IS NOT A BILL*

This letter is to inform you that your VA Health Care has been tranferred to Veterans Health Solutions LLC #13* in the newer better, FREE market FREEDOM act of 2018

*a subsidiary of Omni Consumer Products

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Listen Betsy DeVos’s kids worked hard for that inheritance. We need to reward the investor class and not people who spend their last dollar on booze women and movie tickets.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

That Works posted:

There's a fourteen thousand dollar limit on untaxed gifts from one individual to another...just saying.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Listen Betsy DeVos’s kids worked hard for that inheritance. We need to reward the investor class and not people who spend their last dollar on booze women and movie tickets.

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/30/567572968/republican-sen-charles-grassley-on-why-he-supports-the-senate-tax-bill

quote:

SIEGEL: I want to ask you about estate taxes. The Tax Policy Center estimates that nationwide only about 80 family-owned small business and small farm estates will face any estate tax in 2017. Why is it so important to raise the ceiling on estate taxes when already a couple can pass on an estate of up to $11 million tax free?

GRASSLEY: I suppose to show appreciation for people that have lived frugally early in their life, delayed spending so they could save. It seems to me there ought to be some incentive and reward for those who work and save and invest in America as opposed to those who just live from day to day. You could take the same hundred-thousand-dollar income for two people - one of them, they spend it, have it all spent at the end of the year and the others have saved a fourth of it and invested and create jobs and leave something for the future. The first person leaves nothing for the future.

SIEGEL: But very, very few couples that make a combined income of $100,000 are going to have estates of $20 million that they pass on. I mean, that's a tiny fraction of people.

GRASSLEY: Listen, in no way is my statement meant to dispute the statistics you gave me. I'm giving you a philosophical reason for recognizing savings versus those who want to live high on the hog and not save anything or invest in the commodities.

quote:

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) said he favors repealing the estate tax, which the Senate tax reform bill does not do, saying it "recognizes the people that are investing," The Des Moines Register reported Saturday.

“I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing, as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies," Grassley told the newspaper.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 4, 2017

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BUG JUG posted:

There's a fourteen thousand dollar limit on untaxed gifts from one individual to another...just saying.

Yup, emailed my accountant friend this morning to check on that to make sure. Going to be giving my guys 3k each out of pocket so they can at least finish up current projects until they find jobs.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

oh trust me my language was intentional

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

oh trust me my language was intentional

Also,

quote:

SIEGEL: If corporations get tax breaks on their profits and on money they bring back to the U.S. from overseas, how do you know that they'll use that money to either expand or to hire more Americans or pay them more as opposed to, say, paying out more in dividends and in bonuses?

GRASSLEY: Either way, the money is in the country.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Speaking of giant corporations that own everything,

CVS just bought Aetna

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I thought the repeal of the estate tax was one of the cornerstones of this train wreck? Unless by saying "the repeal is not part of the senate version" they just mean it still "exists" :airquote: just in the most gimped form and is limited to like $1M total.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Everyone knows the first million is the hardest, which confirms that people born to rich families are at a disadvantage vs. the expectations of their social class. The left screams constantly for welfare handouts given to people whose expectations for lifetime earning are extremely low; ie, extremely easy to achieve. Why won't they help Betsy's kids get over that initial hump so that they can fulfill their destinies as well?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

M_Gargantua posted:

I thought the repeal of the estate tax was one of the cornerstones of this train wreck? Unless by saying "the repeal is not part of the senate version" they just mean it still "exists" :airquote: just in the most gimped form and is limited to like $1M total.

The estate tax as it currently stands only taxes a couple's estate when they have more than $11m.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Look at all you money grubbing communists trying to tax people just for dying Jesus didn't have to sacrifice anything by dying and neither should they

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

gently caress rich people

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
To death. gently caress rich people to death.

With barb wire wrapped cricket bats.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

To death. gently caress rich people to death.

With barb wire wrapped cricket bats.

How do you define rich people? I worked and saved and invested over multiple deployments over the last 15 years, and I retired at 35 and basically don't have to work. Am I going to get hosed to death because I was smart and didn't blow my money on booze and women? Should I keep working just to pay taxes?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

How do you define rich people? I worked and saved and invested over multiple deployments over the last 15 years, and I retired at 35 and basically don't have to work. Am I going to get hosed to death because I was smart and didn't blow my money on booze and women? Should I keep working just to pay taxes?

you aren't rich homie sorry

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Yeah, I’m gonna ducking GUT you you lil bitch

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

smdh hit us up when you can donate to harvard and get a library built in your name or some poo poo

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Can you afford to make the kind of donations that can make a GOP senator repeat whatever nonsense lies you tell him about the virtue of wealthy people on national TV? If not, you're not who we're talking about.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Even in death the baby boomers can serve to gently caress up our country further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Here's why we need to tax the utter poo poo out of idle wealth.

• Locked thread