Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Okay thread quiz, which new season of a current show am I talking about I say I'm excited about the idiotic brewery brothers and literally nothing else about the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
.....Easy? NOT Easy? is this a trick

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's literally the only thing I remember from season 1.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MiddleOne posted:

I watched Detention on this threads weird mentionings of it earlier this week and I think it might be my favorite movie ever.

This is the right takeaway.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

This is the unfunniest SNL sketch in a decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwU9DupgA_E
I feel like there's been far more media hype for SNL than there has been from audiences, if the trending topics on social media advertising thinkpieces for the latest clapter segment are any indication. It's not a new phenomenon- it's been that way since Tina Fey impersonated Sarah Palin. The laughs and sketches seem to come secondary to just making the news, resulting in poo poo like this.

Ironic given that "clapter" was a term created by Seth Meyers and popularized by Fey.

Edit: From the SNL thread

CaveGrinch posted:

This classroom sketch is totally meta and exactly about the new guy who hasn’t had a major role in a sketch this season yet.
Doesn't mean it shouldn't be completely devoid of laughs

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 3, 2017

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

get that OUT of my face posted:

I feel like there's been far more media hype for SNL than there has been from audiences, if the trending topics on social media advertising thinkpieces for the latest clapter segment are any indication. It's not a new phenomenon- it's been that way since Tina Fey impersonated Sarah Palin. The laughs and sketches seem to come secondary to just making the news, resulting in poo poo like this.

Ironic given that "clapter" was a term created by Seth Meyers and popularized by Fey.

Edit: From the SNL thread

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be completely devoid of laughs

There have been some really hilarious SNL sketches this season, and in the past several seasons, on par with the best the show has ever produced. The political stuff gets all the headlines because of course it does, it's topical and designed for that goal. But if you actually watch the show week-to-week there are usually at least one or two really good sketches in there.

The "late to class" sketch was terrible, but it also felt like their usual move of "new cast member gets to do the sketch idea they came in with," which is almost always terrible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
SNL has been pretty good this season in general but I was truly baffled by how bad the Tiffany Hadish episode was and how there were articles about it being a "great" episode that was a "return to form"

Also I think it's stupid as hell that Larry David got in trouble for his Holocaust joke, that poo poo was funny as hell

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mu Zeta posted:

This is the unfunniest SNL sketch in a decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwU9DupgA_E

I'm gonna go watch a few episodes of Welcome Back Kotter to get the taste out of my brain.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

blunt posted:

I can only assume this is some weird meta sketch about the new guy's first week.
Meta doesn't work when almost the entire audience isn't in on it.

precision posted:

SNL has been pretty good this season in general but I was truly baffled by how bad the Tiffany Hadish episode was and how there were articles about it being a "great" episode that was a "return to form"

Also I think it's stupid as hell that Larry David got in trouble for his Holocaust joke, that poo poo was funny as hell
Holocaust joke was great, Hadish episode was terribad, SJWs run amok.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What's wrong with you?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Good joke, wrong audience I think. Would've been a stronger set if he ended with the "nothing stereotypical about this guy" bit just before it.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Bear in mind that SNL had someone unironically sing "To Sir With Love" in tribute to Obama after his term in office.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Arist posted:

What's wrong with you?
Him dumb.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They also had McKinnon butcher a Leonard Cohen song right after he died, dressed as Clinton and crying.

Like I get the sentiment, and as a non American try to avoid speaking on political stuff in general but ffs there wasn't even a joke. Even the post 9/11 episode had jokes in the opening while managing to be solemn.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Arist posted:

What's wrong with you?

Again, I need to warn everyone to never, ever engage with Josh Lyman

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I see the fourth and final season on Turn just went up on Netflix, is the show any good?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

They also had McKinnon butcher a Leonard Cohen song right after he died, dressed as Clinton and crying.

that was Real Bad yeah.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

that was Real Bad yeah.

To be fair, like 1200 people, on the low end, have ruined that song ever since the John Cale cover got huge with the Shrek soundtrack.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, there are some godawful versions of Hallelujah.

Should just replace all the not Cohen ones with K.D. Lang's tbqh.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

esperterra posted:

Yeah, there are some godawful versions of Hallelujah.

Should just replace all the not Cohen ones with K.D. Lang's Jeff Buckley's tbqh.

Fixed it for ya

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also a solid choice tbh

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is Parks & Rec the show that aged the worst in the shortest amount of time with all the Hillary Clinton idolatry and the having a functional government in 2017

Also Chris Pratt and Aubrey Plaza sure get annoying and twee in a big loving hurry

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Leslie's worship of Hillary was played as a joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCqVNKOAd-c

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If anything the way that local governments have seen a surge in the election of DSA-endorsed candidates against incumbents and establishment people post-Trump just reinforces the show's theme of public servants trying their best.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Anyone know anything about this new Netflix German show Dark.

Watched the first two episodes off Dark of recommendations from multiple people at the gym. Pretty good so far, definitely getting vibes of "Stranger Things but more brutal" which I can roll with.

And yeah definitely switch to German audio with English subtitles ASAP.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tripping out to Fraggle Rock!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

To be fair, like 1200 people, on the low end, have ruined that song ever since the John Cale cover got huge with the Shrek soundtrack.

please don't remind me of how bad John Cale got post-Velvet Underground :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SomeBODY

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you haven't seen Future Man, do it now. The pilot is a little slow so if you're unconvinced, at least watch episode 2. I haven't binged a show this hard since 24 season 5.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

zoux posted:

I see the fourth and final season on Turn just went up on Netflix, is the show any good?

Doesn't meet it's potential. I think it would be better if it focused on building the spy network. Instead the network is tiny and constantly under threat of destruction because they have to make the protagonist a bad spy in order to create drama.

And they made the villain a massive bastard, but can't kill him because he's a a real guy, so they can only repeatedly almost-kill him.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Altered Carbon has a new trailer and a 2/2/18 release date.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/12/04/altered-carbon-trailer-netflix/

Edit: Ew's site started giving me a white page, so here's a different article.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/first-trailer-for-netflixs-altered-carbon-imagines-a-da-1820974180

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 4, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hell yeah

e: youtube link for the lazy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7Eob4YFDQ

drunkill fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 4, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

We didn't create the Cylons, we became the Cylons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

I ended a friendship due to his insistence that the Cohen version was the cover.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I ended a friendship due to his insistence that the Cohen version was the cover.

Good call.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

Good call.

Even confronted with proof he refused to admit his error. It was maddening!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Altered Carbon looks entirely my poo poo

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yea, can't wait for it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can confirm, looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

I briefly dated a girl in college who insisted that the Pete Yorn cover of Red Right Hand that's heard for, like, 30 seconds in the first Hellboy was the original.

Note that I said briefly.

• Locked thread