Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

double nine posted:

I wanna know what space-magic keeps the remains of the earth from collapsing in on itself. That crescent shape doesn't seem very stable.

Short answer, gravity, fluid dynamics, acceleration, time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Finally caught up. First episode was annoying as gently caress in how they kept pushing up the goddamn exposition to the end of the episode. Hope this space station stuff doesn't hog the whole season.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rocksicles posted:

Short answer, gravity, fluid dynamics, acceleration, time.

What I'm not sure about is if the core would still be glowing hot like that. I simply have no clue how quick that would lose its heat on a non-geologic time scale.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It's weird because it seems the Kree don't or at least Kassius doesn't know squat about science or medicine anyways. These Kree don't seem like the hyper-intelligent and brutally strong Kree from previous iterations, at least. I sort of imagine that there are other battalions that are more civilized.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Coffee Mugshot posted:

It's weird because it seems the Kree don't or at least Kassius doesn't know squat about science or medicine anyways. These Kree don't seem like the hyper-intelligent and brutally strong Kree from previous iterations, at least. I sort of imagine that there are other battalions that are more civilized.

They're running a mining colony on the rear end end of the galaxy. Not exactly the Kree's top men.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
I'm going to hold out hope that what we see of Earth is the aftermath of Thanos and Deek is just an unreliable narrator when he blamed Daisy.

It's like the opposite of season 1 where they had to hide the Hydra reveal. This time the can put the end right out in the open because it is so far removed from what anyone expects to happen.

Then maybe Fitz gets to save everyone in Avengers 4: Fitz 2 the Rescue.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

parque bynch posted:

I'm going to hold out hope that what we see of Earth is the aftermath of Thanos and Deek is just an unreliable narrator when he blamed Daisy.

It's like the opposite of season 1 where they had to hide the Hydra reveal. This time the can put the end right out in the open because it is so far removed from what anyone expects to happen.

Then maybe Fitz gets to save everyone in Avengers 4: Fitz 2 the Rescue.

Earth was fine before she was abducted.

Then she was abducted and was not on Earth to cause any damage to it.

Therefore, she didn't do it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Andrew Verse posted:

Earth was fine before she was abducted.

Then she was abducted and was not on Earth to cause any damage to it.

Therefore, she didn't do it.
For all we know, she might turn back to the point in time where all of this started. And then she causes that.
Being abducted into a time portal is not a viable alibi.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

parque bynch posted:

Of course it's unreliable narration. Can't have AoS be referenced in the movies.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So they’re pulling a Heroes: Season 1. Hope it ends better than that did.

Also hope they have time for some goofy stuff along with the Battlestar Galactica grimdark.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I think if there is one thing we can rely on AoS to deliver at this point, it is witty, self-aware lines.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bruceski posted:

What I'm not sure about is if the core would still be glowing hot like that. I simply have no clue how quick that would lose its heat on a non-geologic time scale.

I'm sure that the top reason is that it's just a cool dramatic visual, but I could see the earth staying like that for a few decades or ever centuries as it slowly comes apart or collapses in on itself, the same way the water in a water balloon holds its shape for a millisecond before falling apart. Many years is an instant on an astronomical scale after all.

What I'm worried about is since they mentioned the surface, that they will eventually have to go down there and it will still have normal gravity and atmosphere.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I just hope we get a standalone episode of Fitz going all Liam Neeson until he gets his answers on where they went.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

So they’re pulling a Heroes: Season 1. Hope it ends better than that did.

Save Virgil, save the world. ...well gently caress.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Codependent Poster posted:

I just hope we get a standalone episode of Fitz going all Liam Neeson until he gets his answers on where they went.

It that's not what the entire third episode is about then I'm going to be very sad

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

That's what happened in Season 3.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It that's not what the entire third episode is about then I'm going to be very sad

It's the fifth episode.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I enjoyed the premiere of this show. I hope Fitz doesn't get squandered this season :ohdear:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I think the whole "Quake destroyed the planet" is a red herring. Minutes prior we heard Tess say that everyone has a different story as to why the Earth got destroyed.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Xtanstic posted:

I enjoyed the premiere of this show. I hope Fitz doesn't get squandered this season :ohdear:

I predict next episode starts with an extended "here's what happened to Fitz" segment

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Floppychop posted:

I think the whole "Quake destroyed the planet" is a red herring. Minutes prior we heard Tess say that everyone has a different story as to why the Earth got destroyed.

Well, if a planet was "quaked" to rubble, it wouldn't be all strung out in orbit. It would still be the same mass with the same center of gravity. I mean really the worst she could do (if she has the power to affect the entire plant) is rearrange the topology, Even if the mantle and crust were inverted, it would still be drawn toward the solid dense core and a new porous crust would be formed as it loses heat energy to space. Granted it would still be "get the gently caress off the earth NOW" situation. Also a livable atmosphere would likely be stripped by solar winds if she slowed or stopped the spin of the core.

The rubble we see is still likely around a collective center of mass and will likely accrete over millions of years. Given the size of the extant chunk of the original crust left, it's more likely a massive amount of energy was poured into the planet on one side, blasting most of the mass into a loose orbit on the other.

But then I remember "Comic Book Show", so who knows.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 4, 2017

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

This is certainly an interesting direction to take the show.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the premise or setting, honestly, but I'll give it a couple of episodes.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Looking at the ratings it seems as though AoS hasn’t lost any fans from Inhumans being a bust. It’s sitting at the same .7 it had at the end of last season.

I’m really curious about how their L+7 turns out.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Tree Dude posted:

I predict next episode starts with an extended "here's what happened to Fitz" segment

He wakes up in the diner to find a note that says, "We're hiding and won't come out until you eat ALL the pie! -Everyone except Fitz"

The rest of the episode is him searching for all the pieces of the pie that are hidden throughout the diner.

The stinger at the end is, after eating about half of the pie, he gets up to use the bathroom, but not before rushing back to the counter to jot down a note, "Working on it. -Fitz"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't think Thanos or Infinity War will be involved in any way. There's two ways they could go with it and neither are something they'd do. First the cast manages to secretly be the ones to save the planet from Thanos thereby stealing the thunder from the big heroes in the movie. Even if the movie doesn't acknowledge it, they're not gonna have the TV characters upstage the big heroes and render the events in the movie irrelevant in some supplemental thing. The second option is the movie heroes actually save the planet and in that case why are we even watching what the TV cast is doing if they're just gonna be bystanders as someone else solves the big dilemma of the season off screen?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I loved Mack flipping out at the idea of splitting up to look for May.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I loved Mack flipping out at the idea of splitting up to look for May.

The part right after with them all huddled behind Daisy and Coulson saying "We've never looked cooler" was amazing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

does the movie-verse still give a crap about Thanos though? they've been teasing his appearance since forever and never follow through. Lazy slob can't get out of his comfy chair.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

double nine posted:

does the movie-verse still give a crap about Thanos though? they've been teasing his appearance since forever and never follow through. Lazy slob can't get out of his comfy chair.

Not sure if trolling as you seem to have internet access and are posting in a Marvel thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZfuNTqbHE8

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
The collective panic over the possibility they were all still trapped in The Framework, as well as the "we've never looked cooler", both had me in hysterics. By the end of episode 1 though I was done with the lovely space station, the drawn-out twist, the knock-off Star Lord (which I find especially funny because when this show started, Chris Pratt was still Andy), and oh god there's another hour of this? Wait you mean the whole season will be tiny reused sets and a truncated cast?? :smithicide:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

VodeAndreas posted:

Not sure if trolling as you seem to have internet access and are posting in a Marvel thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZfuNTqbHE8

I'm not up to speed on all the marvel movies and am kind of lukewarm on them in general, so no. I hadn't seen any promo material for infinity war's villain.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Were we supposed to know who was in that spaceship that showed up at the end?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's Logan.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Hopefully it's full of Ward's that were snatched out of the past/other dimensions leading to a showdown in the final arc of the season, Agents of Shield: Infinity Wards.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

cjg posted:

I don't think so, no.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I don't think so, no.

With everything going on, seeing "Oh my god, *A* spaceship!" just didn't seem to have any kid of dramatic flair. I was thinking it must be "Oh my god, *THAT* spaceship!" and I just didn't know what THAT was.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

cjg posted:

It's probably just more Kree or something. This guy is like a colonial viceroy dressing up the natives to show off to his visitors, complete with slave labor and immediate lethal reprisals.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Kasius's buddies are probably not good people.

Probably Dove Cameron's character or something.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It's gonna be Galactic Warlord Fitz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Brett Dalton, playing the Kree, Wahrd.

• Locked thread