Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Shadow isn't terrible but there will be that rare time something dies before your impale hits and you have to start that entire thing over again. It's far more annoying than hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Marauder has the least amount of things that can go wrong and you'll probably master it on the first go.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
bounties :eng99:

on the pc version it isn't so bad cos you can just do a quick search for bounty farming groups but console version doesn't have that luxury

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I've had luck just starting public bounty games . They fill up in 15 seconds.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I would get at least 1 leech per game when I tried pubbing bounties.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Suspicious posted:

I would get at least 1 leech per game when I tried pubbing bounties.

Vote>kick exists.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Even if you do get a leech and don't catch them to kick? Assuming everyone has a reasonable level of kill power and paying attention besides that person I will take the 3-way split over solo bounties any day.

If nothing else, it means I usually can skip Act 3 myself.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I usually play with a 3 man group and whenever someone needs to mess with an upgrade or do other in town stuff or bathroom break between Rifts or gr, everyone else knocks out a bounty. Doesn't take too long before you get all 5 chests. With the exception of fresh 70 do some bounty runs, have never needed to worry about grinding out a bunch of dedicated bounty runs that way.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Hobold posted:

I'm not upgrading yellow bracers because, lol torment 1. DB's are stupidly rare, and trying to up the difficulty leaves me staring at bosses, with no energy, and unable to damage them until my generator comes off cooldown.

I was trying to get the shield, since I've already got the cube weapon, but its going poorly.

I got the GB last night on my first try upgrading.

Although they were only 75% power returned (the lowest possible) so I'll need to work on them.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
I managed to get the shield and the flail from the cube back to back today, and cleared chapter 4.

Now I'm rolling around in t8, dying when anything looks at me, and still trying to get the bracers. Going to start upgrading yellows for them and see how bad that sucks.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Hobold posted:

I managed to get the shield and the flail from the cube back to back today, and cleared chapter 4.

Now I'm rolling around in t8, dying when anything looks at me, and still trying to get the bracers. Going to start upgrading yellows for them and see how bad that sucks.

Have you tried making a lvl 1 crusader to gamble blood shards and cube them? You wouldn't be able to use hammer jammers but at least you wouldn't be strapped for resources. Then when you find a 70 pair you can switch the cube.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
I did not know I could do that. I might try that out next time I get on. I don't have anything in the armor/accessory slots of the cube yet, so it could only help.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Hobold posted:

I did not know I could do that. I might try that out next time I get on. I don't have anything in the armor/accessory slots of the cube yet, so it could only help.

https://www.d3planner.com/game/kadala

Change character and level to 1 and see what's available.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Any goons on NA doing rat runs? I'd like more xp, I've got zbarb and znecro geared up. Blasting 75s on Bell monk for augments gets boring after a while.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Got RoS and the Necromancer pack, here's a trip report from a Diablo III :shobon:-newbie

Since I hadn't played the game since early 2014, I started a Necromancer from scratch, and decided to play through the campaign on normal for some nostalgia value. I had never really gone into what the original game offered beyond level 60 on my witch doctor and monk, so I only had 6 paragon levels that I decided to not assign, so as to not make my first playthrough since 2014 boring.

Uh, that didn't exactly turn out as planned. I don't know which other mechanics changed since I last played, or if I may have not changed a setting I should have, but my early playthrough felt like straight-up cheating. I went through the first two acts like it was speed-farming, changed the difficulty to hard in act III (should have done this sooner, or simply restarted, I guess), and it still felt incredibly imbalanced. Bosses wouldn't even finish their dialogue before eating the dirt and I don't have the faintest clue why. Zero to level 60 through all five acts was pretty much an afternoon of gaming.

Initially, I thought I'd get bored of it rapidly due to the level of ease, but whatever they did, it's somehow still not boring, and I breezed through Acts I and II on my first instance of adventure before it started feeling like a normal game on 'normal' from back in the day. I like what they've done with the place.

Speaking of what they've done with the place: I have no loving idea what I'm doing. All the new gimmicks and mechanics and recipes, and rifts, and nephalem thisandthats, and Kanai cube shenanigans and forging/reforging/stripping and whatnot...it's so drat intriguing that I have no clue where to start. I can't decide what to use crafting ingredients on because I have no sense of their value on account of having inherited a shitton from previous patches it seems. And correspondingly, I have no sense of value regarding items, so I just salvaged lower-tier legendaries that I didn't need. Guess I should have kept them around to strip legendary effects.

In any case, it's fun, but I genuinely don't know where to go from here. I'm thinking about doing some more of these adventure runs for some ingredients to strip legendary effects while looking for items with recommended effects as per the guide below, and then...idk, I'll google what the gently caress rifts are all about.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/necromancer-leveling-and-fresh-70-guide-patch-2-6-1-season-12

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
How I know that I've gotten old: My hand, after a session of D3, is now an arthritic claw.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Got RoS and the Necromancer pack, here's a trip report from a Diablo III :shobon:-newbie

Since I hadn't played the game since early 2014, I started a Necromancer from scratch, and decided to play through the campaign on normal for some nostalgia value. I had never really gone into what the original game offered beyond level 60 on my witch doctor and monk, so I only had 6 paragon levels that I decided to not assign, so as to not make my first playthrough since 2014 boring.

Uh, that didn't exactly turn out as planned. I don't know which other mechanics changed since I last played, or if I may have not changed a setting I should have, but my early playthrough felt like straight-up cheating. I went through the first two acts like it was speed-farming, changed the difficulty to hard in act III (should have done this sooner, or simply restarted, I guess), and it still felt incredibly imbalanced. Bosses wouldn't even finish their dialogue before eating the dirt and I don't have the faintest clue why. Zero to level 60 through all five acts was pretty much an afternoon of gaming.

Initially, I thought I'd get bored of it rapidly due to the level of ease, but whatever they did, it's somehow still not boring, and I breezed through Acts I and II on my first instance of adventure before it started feeling like a normal game on 'normal' from back in the day. I like what they've done with the place.

Speaking of what they've done with the place: I have no loving idea what I'm doing. All the new gimmicks and mechanics and recipes, and rifts, and nephalem thisandthats, and Kanai cube shenanigans and forging/reforging/stripping and whatnot...it's so drat intriguing that I have no clue where to start. I can't decide what to use crafting ingredients on because I have no sense of their value on account of having inherited a shitton from previous patches it seems. And correspondingly, I have no sense of value regarding items, so I just salvaged lower-tier legendaries that I didn't need. Guess I should have kept them around to strip legendary effects.

In any case, it's fun, but I genuinely don't know where to go from here. I'm thinking about doing some more of these adventure runs for some ingredients to strip legendary effects while looking for items with recommended effects as per the guide below, and then...idk, I'll google what the gently caress rifts are all about.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/necromancer-leveling-and-fresh-70-guide-patch-2-6-1-season-12

Rifts give you rift keys to go into Greater Rifts, which will drop you legendary gems and allow you to level them up if you beat the GR in time (15 minutes). They're extremely powerful and you should use them asap. GRs would be all anyone ever does if they dropped death's breaths and didn't require GR keys to enter. Just try them out, but that's the gist of it.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SwissArmyDruid posted:

How I know that I've gotten old: My hand, after a session of D3, is now an arthritic claw.

I bought a PS4 for Monster Hunter but I decided to try the console version of D3 and it's really good. I was surprised at how well it handles with a controller. My arms are worn out from a lifetime of working and playing with mouse and keyboard so using a controller is a welcome change.

A poster earlier in the thread said something about the closer camera angle making them appreciate the skill effects more and I have to echo that as well. Blizzard's art team did a great job on this game and while the models and textures are starting to show their age the monster/player skill effects, animations, and sound design are top notch and are a huge reason this game is still satisfying for me to play over and over again. I've also switched to headphones over speakers for gaming and I really appreciate the music and ambient sounds a lot more than I used to.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Duzzy Funlop, NA and EU PC have community groups called LLJK that you can join that are filled with goons. It is a great place to just ask questions and get groups to play with. I was exactly where you were at season nine when I picked this game back up and it was overwhelming at first to figure out all the new changes and getting a plan made but you'll pick it up more quickly than you think.

Nechronic posted:

I bought a PS4 for Monster Hunter but I decided to try the console version of D3 and it's really good. I was surprised at how well it handles with a controller. My arms are worn out from a lifetime of working and playing with mouse and keyboard so using a controller is a welcome change.

A poster earlier in the thread said something about the closer camera angle making them appreciate the skill effects more and I have to echo that as well. Blizzard's art team did a great job on this game and while the models and textures are starting to show their age the monster/player skill effects, animations, and sound design are top notch and are a huge reason this game is still satisfying for me to play over and over again. I've also switched to headphones over speakers for gaming and I really appreciate the music and ambient sounds a lot more than I used to.

I think it was the last thread that we last talked about the art style but it both really won me over and has stood up really well as the game aged as opposed to if they did a more gritty photorealism that people said they wanted from before launch.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Larrymer posted:

https://www.d3planner.com/game/kadala

Change character and level to 1 and see what's available.

Is it just me, or has anyone else said that Kadala needs to split up the 1h and 2h weapons like armor is. Or at least have class specific slots like orb/mojo have.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Hobold posted:

Is it just me, or has anyone else said that Kadala needs to split up the 1h and 2h weapons like armor is. Or at least have class specific slots like orb/mojo have.

I’ve been OK with crafting rare weapons and upgrading them since gambling on items costing 25 blood shards seems like a better bargain.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Dameius posted:

I think it was the last thread that we last talked about the art style but it both really won me over and has stood up really well as the game aged as opposed to if they did a more gritty photorealism that people said they wanted from before launch.

Yeah, the art style is gorgeous. Some of the environments look like something out of an oil painting.

I recently started a new barbarian, and I've been meaning to use a gem of ease with him. When's the earliest opportunity to get a weapon with sockets?

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 3, 2017

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah, the art style is gorgeous. Some of the environments look like something out of an oil painting.

I recently started a new barbarian, and I've been meaning to use a gem of ease with him. When's the earliest opportunity to get a weapon with sockets?

If you level the gem of ease to 20 you can cram it into any level 70 weapon and it will remove the level requirement allowing your new character to steamroll everything. For faster levelling you can also wear/cube leoric's crown and socket a ruby into your helm for a massive xp bonus. You can also craft a hellfire ring and amulet. Neither of them have level requirements but will give you chunks of level 70 stats on your brand new character. The ring also has bonus XP on it along with a damage proc that turns the floor into lava. With these three things you can probably level safely on torment 1 difficulty in hardcore for even MORE bonus xp. Probably higher if you're softcore but if you're playing SC it's a lot easier to get powerlevelled by someone else.

If you don't feel like levelling your GOE for some reason I think you start seeing sockets in the 20s. Maybe as low as 16? You could craft weapons until you roll one with reduced level requirements if you have a lot of mats.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 3, 2017

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

That's a great post, thanks. I'll take all of the advice and get the gem to 25 to unlock the level 1 requirement, as well as crafting the hellfire gear. I'll get the crown cubed too. That should start my new character off with a bang.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

deano posted:

Now if i could just find that bloody sages plan, got the non db one guess its fking bounties for plans again :/

There’s no reason for sages, just run T13 as fast as possible. You get more legendaries and the higher torment you run the less benefit sages get, it’s mostly a handicap. Also you really only want to upgrade DB>legendary early on before you have your first copies of a legendary. Once you have it, assuming it’s a weapon or ring/amulet and thus a bad blood shard target, it’s much better to reroll.

Without going deep on sages math, not counting the reduced dps etc, on T13 you only increase your DB from 2.5 per elite to 3.5 per elite, which is not really worth it compared to T1-7 where it doubles your effective DB compared to 40 percent or thereabouts at T13.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you are going to level alts a lot by yourself it'll be worth it to use gem of ease to build out a full set of ilvl70 level 1 gear. Like using the level 70 version of Cain's set.

Marketing New Brain posted:

There’s no reason for sages, just run T13 as fast as possible. You get more legendaries and the higher torment you run the less benefit sages get, it’s mostly a handicap. Also you really only want to upgrade DB>legendary early on before you have your first copies of a legendary. Once you have it, assuming it’s a weapon or ring/amulet and thus a bad blood shard target, it’s much better to reroll.

Without going deep on sages math, not counting the reduced dps etc, on T13 you only increase your DB from 2.5 per elite to 3.5 per elite, which is not really worth it compared to T1-7 where it doubles your effective DB compared to 40 percent or thereabouts at T13.

That only holds true until your character can steamroll t13 just as fast with or without sages. My bell monk, in basically poo poo gear including sages, can still 2-3 minute clear t13 runs and the sages boost really adds up. It is very noticeable against the people I play with who don't have sages equipped.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 4, 2017

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Dameius posted:

If you are going to level alts a lot by yourself it'll be worth it to use gem of ease to build out a full set of ilvl70 level 1 gear. Like using the level 70 version of Cain's set.

That only holds true until your character can steamroll t13 just as fast with or without sages. My bell monk, in basically poo poo gear including sages, can still 2-3 minute clear t13 runs and the sages boost really adds up. It is very noticeable against the people I play with who don't have sages equipped.

Well, first, DB aren’t that useful as I pointed out, but also, lol if you think you can even come close to speed running in Sages gear as fast without it. You have to give up Tzo Crins to fit sages in right? That’s a huge multiplier there’s no way you can be as efficient. You need max modifiers because you are already giving up kyoshiro for in geom when running speeds.

The limiting factor for gear once you steamroll T13 isn’t DB, it’s legendaries you can use to reforge.

They have some marginal use for certain class weapons with very small drop pools but it’s almost always more efficient to just reroll a weapon when looking for ancients/primals.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 4, 2017

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
At a certain point you out level content to such a degree that the largest limiting factor is the time it takes to move across the map. The power creep for this patch basically makes it such that what would have been viable as a TX only before is now TXIII. Especially with how easy it is to grind out the first 1000 levels of paragon because of the power creep.

Edit: and to clarify you don't need to be high paragon to get that online. I am not even close to 1000 yet and am doing just fine.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 4, 2017

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Marketing New Brain posted:

They have some marginal use for certain class weapons with very small drop pools but it’s almost always more efficient to just reroll a weapon when looking for ancients/primals.

The mats for reroll vs. upgrade are completely separate, so you can do both. You need to speed run t13 rifts for keystones anyway, so you might as well use the opportunity to farm DBs for upgrades as well.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You guys were right about joining pubbie games. I go into T13 rift games and get carried as long as I want with my Sage's set on. Went from 0 to about 500 DB in 45 minutes, plus tons of crafting mats.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Just want to vent for a sec. Does the Sacred Harvester even exist? I've gotten to GR70 and nearly 500 paragon levels and haven't seen one. No shards, no upgraded rares, no drops, nothin. I better get a drat primal.

Ok, that's it.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Fayez Butts posted:

Just want to vent for a sec. Does the Sacred Harvester even exist? I've gotten to GR70 and nearly 500 paragon levels and haven't seen one. No shards, no upgraded rares, no drops, nothin. I better get a drat primal.

Ok, that's it.

Apparently it can be gotten from Kadala as early as level 15 so maybe make a low-level alt to gamble for it so there aren't as many items in the pool.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Recycling Centerpiece posted:

Apparently it can be gotten from Kadala as early as level 15 so maybe make a low-level alt to gamble for it so there aren't as many items in the pool.

Can low level items be reforged into level 70 items?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
No. Unless the recent patch changed that, I guess.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
Oh right, I hadn't thought of that. Well, if you want one for the cube, I guess.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Fayez Butts posted:

Ok, that's it.

Join the D3 broken dreams club.

I have 8 unitys this season but not a single compass rose.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I usually have an issue getting Dawn every season, but I've gotten like 5 AND a primal one this time.

mewse
May 2, 2006

KingShiro posted:

I usually have an issue getting Dawn every season, but I've gotten like 5 AND a primal one this time.

Drop rates were changed

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

KingShiro posted:

I got one while levelling but haven't seen any at 70.

I've had 3 ancient Nats xbows though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

After a bunch of solo grift climbing last night I don't know why the official Wizard DMO Twister guides recommend runing Exhaustion over Point of No Return for slow time. The whole challenge of the build doesn't come from taking too much damage, but from keeping the bad guys in one place so your twisters can do their thing, and a 3sec stun is every bit as valuable as straight damage reduction. Not to mention you then have an easier time fitting in Power Hungry and Zei's over trying to hang in melee to make use of Audacity and hoping Halo of Karini doesn't drop off. Twisters are always fun but FB meteors is a lot simpler and less finicky to manage. Well that's my story folks, thanks for listening.