Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

vyelkin posted:

I missed like 800 posts and here we are talking about Tim Hortons and garbage Alberta politicians, feels like home

To be fair, I think the Tim Hortons derail started with people complaining about how hands off our government has been when it comes to foreign mega corps buying everything up and then making GBS threads all over the consumer once they have the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Furnaceface posted:

To be fair, I think the Tim Hortons derail started with people complaining about how hands off our government has been when it comes to foreign mega corps buying everything up and then making GBS threads all over the consumer once they have the market.

Nah, it started exactly how most of my mornings start: a farmer's wrap and a medium coffee with 2 cream.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I wouldn't mind hearing about one of the people who did that accidentally feeding themselves to a combine tbh

That kind of poo poo not only destroys super expensive equipment that a farmer can't necessarily absorb but it starts fires and it could potentially kill someone.

It's a pretty awful thing to do.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 3, 2017

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
It's pretty weird. Usually when people do the trying to anonymously hurt strangers thing they at least have some sort of hosed up misplaced beef motivating them. But who is angry with farmers?

There have been a few incidents in BC in recent memory of people trying to garrote or otherwise gently caress up mountain bikers by sabotaging and placing traps on trails, and it's almost always been "person mad at seeing mountain bikers on trails".

Like is someone seriously mad enough they have to wait 10 seconds to pass a tractor on the road that they are going to collect rebar, wait till night, drive back to the farm, and walk out and set traps?

People are loving weird.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Maybe it's farmer vs. farmer beef now that I think about it. They would know how to gently caress up equipment best.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Butcher posted:

It's pretty weird. Usually when people do the trying to anonymously hurt strangers thing they at least have some sort of hosed up misplaced beef motivating them. But who is angry with farmers?

There have been a few incidents in BC in recent memory of people trying to garrote or otherwise gently caress up mountain bikers by sabotaging and placing traps on trails, and it's almost always been "person mad at seeing mountain bikers on trails".

Like is someone seriously mad enough they have to wait 10 seconds to pass a tractor on the road that they are going to collect rebar, wait till night, drive back to the farm, and walk out and set traps?

People are loving weird.

Half this thread goes on a "gently caress rurals" schtick so it's not like it's unprecedented even in here

It might not even be a personal beef, there are lovely people who will drive out and brick the window of a combine purely because they can, equipment sits overnight without any major security all the time.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There's a huge, huge difference between typing "gently caress rurals" on an internet comedy forum and going out and actively trying to sabotage a farmer's equipment though.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

HookShot posted:

There's a huge, huge difference between typing "gently caress rurals" on an internet comedy forum and going out and actively trying to sabotage a farmer's equipment though.

The biggest difference probably being the requirement to actually leave one's keyboard.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

The Butcher posted:

lol some one said this happened to them recently and it turned out they were lying and scamming people

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/stelianos-psaroudakis-west-bragg-creek-charged-fraud-1.4216322

Kly fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 3, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know in the lower mainland and even parts of victoria where a new development goes in next to existing working farms sometimes the new suburban home owners can get NIMBY as gently caress about these nasty smelly noisy farmers how dare they drive their big slow vehicles down the street and use farming equipment early in the morning. I could see people like that sabotaging. But I don't think these farms are in the middle of rapidly growing subdivisions.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Butcher posted:

Maybe it's farmer vs. farmer beef now that I think about it. They would know how to gently caress up equipment best.

Its either this or some land developer loving with farmers to encourage them to sell their land to build a whack of new suburbs.

This is Canada after all.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Furnaceface posted:

Its either this or some land developer loving with farmers to encourage them to sell their land to build a whack of new suburbs.

This is Canada after all.

Definitely gonna settle on the land developer. It's comical how every bit of fields and farms I drive by has a massive developer sign "COMING SOON - 1200 sq. ft. TOWN HOUSES from 300s to 1.5mil!!!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mad Hamish posted:

I have always felt that if you're a person who writes policy for public transit you should be legally forbidden to own a car.

Counterpoint: transit and bike paths are the best for drivers, because the more attractive the alternatives to driving are, the more people will take them and get the gently caress off the road. The biggest source of frustration for drivers, by far, is other drivers. Drive at 4am on a Sunday and ask yourself if a lack of car infrastructure is the problem, or whether it's too many other people.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Wirth1000 posted:

Definitely gonna settle on the land developer. It's comical how every bit of fields and farms I drive by has a massive developer sign "COMING SOON - 1200 sq. ft. TOWN HOUSES from 300s to 1.5mil!!!"

I almost wonder if it's a combination of a bad tile-drainage installation and the amount of rain the Plantagenet / Bourget area got earlier on in the late spring. Most of the crop-planting equipment would have passed overtop prior to the heavy rains (causing many floods along the Ottawa river). If you are doing some 1st / 2nd cut trim work with lighter equipment, the tires won't sink in as much into the ground.... whereas a harvester - not so much.

Normally when a field is tile-drained they just run trenches along the farm fields, but perhaps some of them anchored the drains to a concrete slab so they wouldn't move as much - and due to the soil's porosity changing from the sheet amount of rain that area got, maybe these pieces are popping out...

... Either that, or someone's a little upset over the delays to the ashpault plant that was supposed to be built near Plantagenet due to numerous delays from local rural opposition? (Oct 10th was a deadline date that elapsed).

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

EvilJoven posted:

It's amazing just how many 'successful' companies seem to rely solely on the business model of buying up and then killing one golden egg laying goose after another.

Capitalism rewards attempted infinite growth to keep the shareholders happy, at which point by the end you've either turned into Wal mart/Timmies/Amazon or you've ran things into the ground.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

CRISPYBABY posted:

Capitalism rewards attempted infinite growth to keep the shareholders happy, at which point by the end you've either turned into Wal mart/Timmies/Amazon or you've ran things into the ground.

Why wait to have a single golden egg a day for the rest of your life when you can kill the goose and get the gold in its belly and spend it all at once? :shepspends:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Activist Investors are all the rage right now and not going anywhere any time soon

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The Butcher posted:

I think so too. Having never been around farm equipment, I've always assumed that it just works like a robot from Pacific Rim or Robot Jox. When an urban wants to mess with somebody, they hit them where it hurts and make the crudite dip too salty or at worst shake a bit of pepper on the latte steamer without cleaning it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Leofish posted:

Why wait to have a single golden egg a day for the rest of your life when you can kill the goose and get the gold in its belly and spend it all at once? :shepspends:

What is this notion that tim hortons is dying. The food is terrible but so are canadians, synergy and profits are higher than ever.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

The food is terrible but so are canadians

New slogan for The Keg?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

infernal machines posted:

New slogan for The Keg?

Sorry but The Keg is fantastic.

Are you thinking of Montana's?????

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ugh Montana's is so bad

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

New slogan for The Keg Cara Operations Ltd.?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I won't hear an ill word spoken about Swiss Chalet

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

That's because Swiss Chalet ribs are so bad that there are no words to describe it

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Postess with the Mostest posted:

That's because Swiss Chalet ribs are so bad that there are no words to describe it

yeah but who the gently caress buys anything from swiss chalet that isn't a {fraction} chicken dinner

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

ChickenWing posted:

yeah but who the gently caress buys anything from swiss chalet that isn't a {fraction} chicken dinner

My theory is that the ribs only exist to make the chicken look good.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

On the latest Canadian census, the oldest age group brackets were:

55-64 Years -> 65-74 Years -> Swiss Chalet Customers

Also of course Montana's is bad: it's probably a joke played on us by Americans. We should make a chain in the southern US called "SASKATCHEWAN: The Restaurant!" as an equivalent prank.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 4, 2017

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Some of the most popular chain restaurants in Canada are Boston Pizza and Montana's.

makes u think

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

Some of the most popular chain restaurants in Canada are Boston Pizza and Montana's.

I was going to mention that Canadians love Olive Garden and Red Lobster and that proves that people are drawn to the aggressively mediocre but then I realized that since this is the Canadian Politics thread we have already demonstrably proven this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yikes. I had no idea just how dominant tim hortons is.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Keg top 10, so what

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I am shocked that the Keg is junk food

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Yikes. I had no idea just how dominant tim hortons is.

And yet Tims food is the most mediocre shite

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Congratulations Restaurant Brands International Inc., what a homegrown corporate success story

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Holy poo poo I can't believe A&W is so far up the list and even beats out KFC

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Hot Take: A&W is the best of the fast food burger joints

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never even heard of Yogen Fruz, St. Hubert, or Pita Pit. Are those regional?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
St Hubert is the equivalent of Swiss Chalet but it's only in Quebec.

Pita Pit and Yogen Fruz are at least in Ontario pretty common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why would anyone want to eat food out of a pit? Yeah, we just got this big ol' pit out back full of pita bread, dig in.