Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Al-Saqr posted:

Yes it is wrong. nobody in any sector of society should be subjected to any kind of jackbooted thugs, especially jackbooted thugs who are also rapists and anti-semites and mass murderers like the dogs of the Egyptian regime. if america gets to have it's fair share of kooks and crazies who go about their business making peoples lives miserable in a free and open society, then other people from around the world should as well. This guy deserves to be fined and punished for what he's done and said, but to actively cheer on people who dont give two shits about any kind of humanity just because they've decided to target conservatives you dont like is not a good attitude to have.

The real and absolute cancer to the muslim world is fascism. it is the sole cause of all the diseases and malaise and failures of the arab world. Ayman Al zawahiri was a product of fascism, salafist jihadism was a product of fascism, all of the things you hate about those guys stemmed from them. you kill fascism, 90% of the main reasons of all the diseases die with them.

Be for freedom no matter who it benefits and against fascism no matter who it targets.

i know. i am sorry. i know its facism and Al zawahiri is symptom/product of it. i didnt mean to defend sisi or his facist shithead rape regime. i just want to see some loving punishments for assholes for once. i guess Martin Niemöller really was right. if facism happens to people you hate, you don't mind it. sorry i was an rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Honestly that Wahsh guy looks pretty fascist to me. When someones says it's a patriotic duty to assault people because of how they look? They're 100% a fascist. It's science.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
This is very probably a big turning point in the Yemen conflict and will probably mean a big reversal in the houthis fortunes:-

https://twitter.com/think_b1g/status/937063552812290049

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Welp maybe I spoke too soon when I dismissed any hope of victory for the coalition. There's been noise for sometime now about tension between Saleh and the Houthi, the country's politics is so darn opaque it's hard to get a handle on what's happening on the ground. A deal with Saleh might be just what the Saudis need to declare victory and get out.

Every faction in Yemen is just so unsympathetic. Whatever happens the people lose.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Squalid posted:

Welp maybe I spoke too soon when I dismissed any hope of victory for the coalition. There's been noise for sometime now about tension between Saleh and the Houthi, the country's politics is so darn opaque it's hard to get a handle on what's happening on the ground. A deal with Saleh might be just what the Saudis need to declare victory and get out.

Every faction in Yemen is just so unsympathetic. Whatever happens the people lose.

The whole yemen conflict is under a similar dynamic as the syrian one, it's purely a conflict between counter-revolutionary forces who worked to undermine, manage and destroy the people who actually carried out the protests in the first place. If Saleh beats the Houthis he's essentially won back power and won against the millions who protested against his rule in february 2011, the country will have come out not only ruined, starved and cholera ridden with countless dead, but with Saleh back in the center of power. It's the Yemeni people who ultimately lost since none of their goals or desires for change will have been met, and now theres the precedent of them being so abused as we see here if they step out of line. Because as you know, to the arab regimes there's literally no difference between a protester and a terrorist, or in the case of yemen the causes belli of whatever rotten edifice takes control is going to use the houthis as a cudgel against solving the real ills of the country.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 2, 2017

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

meanwhile in secularism:-

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/937043866577973248

wow so secular.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I'm more curious how anyone is loyal to Saleh. How many groups has he used to try and reclaim power?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Aurubin posted:

I'm more curious how anyone is loyal to Saleh. How many groups has he used to try and reclaim power?

he's loyal to himself and his tribe is loyal to him, his tribe also happens to be the republican guard of the army. he's made himself too valuable to not have as an asset to whomever needs it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Al-Saqr posted:

Be for freedom no matter who it benefits and against fascism no matter who it targets.

Al-Saqr, you get a lot of poo poo from people, but I think you're great.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

its probably to get to the more "moderate" salafits to back them or some poo poo like that. then again fascists hate sexual expression in any form.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Squalid posted:

If you're truly into Yemen analysis, try reading the South Yemen Republic magazines and figure out how Saleh is planning to mess Aden up.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Svartvit posted:

If you're truly into Yemen analysis, try reading the South Yemen Republic magazines and figure out how Saleh is planning to mess Aden up.

I used to try reading the occasional article from Yemeni publications to follow the war. I got kind of tired because it's always "yesterday government forces killed one billion Saudi mercenaries," and it's just like wut, at least make the propaganda plausible. Anyway is there any specific outlet you had in mind? No western sources ever cover the kind of personal or clan politics that are actually useful for understanding a conflict like Yemen.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Al-Saqr posted:

he's loyal to himself and his tribe is loyal to him, his tribe also happens to be the republican guard of the army. he's made himself too valuable to not have as an asset to whomever needs it.
This post also applies 100% to Assad, you don't even have to change anything.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why the hell did the British split Yemen in the first place?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grouchio posted:

What gave you the impression that they split the country in the first place? Instead of coming here with tedious and trivial questions have you should consider glancing at a wikipedia page first.

Yemen is one of those countries that seems to function like a pit trap for over ambitious empires, much like Afghanistan.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

these are just tweets but Saleh's uprising doesn't seem to be going according to plan.

https://twitter.com/ammar82/status/937321274837229568

https://twitter.com/rawanssa18/status/937299468193619968

https://twitter.com/RawanSSA18/status/937301183764541441?s=17

https://twitter.com/ammar82/status/937251706106253312

https://twitter.com/ammar82/status/937299410991665152

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 3, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grouchio posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=history+of+yemen

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Whatever Saleh is up to, th next few days will either end up with the last card the saudi coalition had being executed or the tide will finally turn in Saleh's favor, but things so far not looking good, houthis reclaimed many many of the bases and outposts, quickly raided salehs friends homes and blew them up, have taken the TV station saleh broadcasted his uprising from, and from these unsubstantiated tweets he's fighting a kind of last stand, the only thing that might save him is if the saudi bombing saves him, so we'll find out soon enough.

https://twitter.com/ammar82/status/937363688209747971?s=17

https://twitter.com/ammar82/status/937371851508076544?s=17

also this seems quite dubious but aljazeera is reporting that Saleh is asking for Iran and Hizbullah to mediate between him and the houthis, if this is really the case he hosed up harder than I thought.

https://twitter.com/AJABreaking/status/937304302275608576

also loooool friedman is such a bitch I hope he's actually taking bribes because holy poo poo there's nothing sadder than being a dictators chump for free:-

https://twitter.com/ArabiaFdn/status/937376362469494784

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 3, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

"The potential of being a giant disaster area?" It's like the "This Is Fine" but the dog is saying "Could be worse, the house could be on fire" before dying. I can't breathr, stop man, you are loving killing me, that's not the kind of thread where i expect to laugh! I am sorry he is paving your country into hell with his childish good intentions Al-Saqr.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 3, 2017

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

Whatever Saleh is up to, th next few days will either end up with the last card the saudi coalition had being executed or the tide will finally turn in Saleh's favor, but things so far not looking good, houthis reclaimed many many of the bases and outposts, quickly raided salehs friends homes and blew them up, have taken the TV station saleh broadcasted his uprising from, and from these unsubstantiated tweets he's fighting a kind of last stand, the only thing that might save him is if the saudi bombing saves him, so we'll find out soon enough.

I have to give some credit to the Houthis, they seemed to have been really prepared (it is a case of Iranian advisors be really on the ball?). Maybe it isn't curtains for Saleh quite yet, but it is a bit of a mystery why his forces weren't better prepared. I get the Saudis have no idea what is going on, but you would think the Republican Guard would have some clue about the relative balance of forces in the capital. I guess I expect incompetence, but maybe not a suicidal level of it.

quote:

also loooool friedman is such a bitch I hope he's actually taking bribes because holy poo poo there's nothing sadder than being a dictators chump for free:-

https://twitter.com/ArabiaFdn/status/937376362469494784

Yeah, this looking like it is happening at the Saban forum at Brookings. DC is like living in an alternate dimension, and you can say the most inane poo poo and people will clap their hands off for you. It isn't an especially fun place for someone actually knowledgeable.

That type of poo poo happens all the time.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

It could be Saleh was anticipating the Houthis turning on him (dictators are paranoid) and this "uprising" was a desperation move.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Duckbox posted:

It could be Saleh was anticipating the Houthis turning on him (dictators are paranoid) and this "uprising" was a desperation move.

It seems like it would have been better to leave the capital in that case considering how fast the Houthis have moved in the city or at least have a better battle plan. It seems to have both a huge tactical and strategic misjudgment.

Also, even if Saleh is able to hold on, there is the issue is how he reconciles with the multitude of other factions across Yemen.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

So here's a question about the S-400. If you have one of the systems do you ever turn on the radar before you want to shoot something down? I assume you don't just run the state-of-the-art radar system 24/7 as a search radar because it would open up the system to countermeasures and attack? Is there a case now where Syria has much more modern air defense systems but has to hold them in reserve for true war scenarios vs. one-off raids?
Perhaps a better question for the Airpower thread in TFR, and I'm no expert on the S-400 specifically. That said, generally you don't run the search radar all the time, no. Especially with a mobile system, you don't want to unnecessarily give away its position so you only turn it on when you have a good reason to believe there's something to shoot at.

e: A modern air force would use Airborne Early Warning planes to figure out if there's something worth turning on the search radar for, but unless the Russians have gifted the SAAF some I don't believe they have any AEW.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 4, 2017

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

welp
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/yemens-ex-president-saleh-killed-house-bomb-hours-after-breaking-away-houthis-1650043
DEAD BODY NSFW
https://twitter.com/The_NewArab/status/937660558014406656

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 4, 2017

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Looks like it's him, moles and blemishes match to earlier photos.
https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/937661475245756416

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This was a really quick turn of events. :stare:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dang

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

That escalated quickly.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I am actually a bit loss of words on this one, I really didn't think it would shift this fast.

We (and I guess the Saudis) must be completely and totally under-estimating the Houthis here. I know Al-Arabiya within the last 12 hours was still releasing stories that Saleh was consolidating control over central Sanaa. It is bizarre in a bit of a terrifying way. How much do we actually know what is happening? How much are we just being gaslit?

It looks like this was taken somewhere outside the city. The narrative I am going with knew his position in Sanaa was going to be overrun, attempted to make it to the south, and hit a Houthi roadblock on the way.

On a more macabre point, It looks like he was shot execution style.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 4, 2017

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
holy poo poo

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Holy loving poo poo. this is a real disaster for the KSA forces, now nothing will end this war short of all Yemenis dying or a physical invasion of the country. What was saleh thinking?!?!? What the gently caress is it with these loving bumbling oafs in the gcc who can't plan further than their nose?!?!

Holy cow those Iranians and hezbollah advisors don't gently caress around, they really knew how to bounce back from what I thought was going to be a GCC coup when saleh announced his uprising.

I'm really flabbergasted and amazed at how quickly saleh hosed up, wow I wasn't expecting him to die like this.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 4, 2017

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I bet the Saudis were hoping on this plan to call and end to the Yemen fiasco and be able to more credibly pivot to (a war with) Iran.

Can't say I'm sorry to see Saleh go.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Houthis seem to be claiming that they launched a cruise missile toward a nuclear reactor in Abu Dhabi, but there seems to be some dispute on whether or not the released video is authentic. The reactor's fine in any case, but the missile shown was a relatively new Iranian model, so if the Houthis actually did fire it, it means Iran is shipping them pretty sophisticated missiles they can't credibly claim to have scrounged up in a pre-war stockpile. The video might just be from Iran though :shrug:.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

re: Saleh
Wow I did not expect that (if its true).

MBS has a curse on him or something. Splitting his enemies in Yemen and flipping Saleh was a coup, and looked set to really change the course of the war.

Then bam a day later Saleh is head shot. This kind of poo poo belongs on the Sopranos.

I wonder what Hadi is thinking right now.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 4, 2017

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

What I would give to be in a palace meeting room ( lol other than the multiple ones I have like a boss) right now to see how MbS is taking this turn of events.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sinteres posted:

The Houthis seem to be claiming that they launched a cruise missile toward a nuclear reactor in Abu Dhabi, but there seems to be some dispute on whether or not the released video is authentic. The reactor's fine in any case, but the missile shown was a relatively new Iranian model, so if the Houthis actually did fire it, it means Iran is shipping them pretty sophisticated missiles they can't credibly claim to have scrounged up in a pre-war stockpile. The video might just be from Iran though :shrug:.

I honestly can't imagine Iran is thrilled by that choice of target.

Thank god the State Department is operating at peak efficiency these days :laughingthatturnsintocrying:

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 4, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I honestly can't imagine Iran is thrilled by that choice of target.

Yeah. Even if the Houthis didn't really do it, saying they did seems really stupid. Of course there's hypocrisy about some nations' infrastructure being legitimate targets while other nations' infrastructure is off limits, but threatening a civilian nuclear reactor is begging to be labeled a nuclear terrorist.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

RIP Saleh. One can only dance on the heads of snakes so long before being bit.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Squalid posted:

RIP Saleh. One can only dance on the heads of snakes so long before being bit.

Ah you saw Scahill's tweet as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Thank god the State Department is operating at peak efficiency these days :laughingthatturnsintocrying:

Yeah, perhaps a credible point to be made that the hollowing of our diplomatic and intelligence infrastructure is very clearly having an effect. Well don't worry, I am sure tax cuts will fix the issu...oh yeah.