Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Imagine my shock.

They run these quacks and then feel entitled to votes just because they have a (G) next to their time. Expect better candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Christ. The cop had apparently etched "you're hosed" on the grip of his rifle. He sounds like a very normal and well adjusted individual.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Javes posted:

Christ. The cop had apparently etched "you're hosed" on the grip of his rifle. He sounds like a very normal and well adjusted individual.

Reminds me of that one cop who grabbed his personal AK-47 out of his trunk for a totally routine traffic stop that ended in someone dead.

If it's any consolation a light reading sounds like they are nailing the guy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Javes posted:

"He feared for his life"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Al Borland Corp. posted:

"He feared for his life"

Probably not untrue

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

tsa posted:

You are really loving clueless if you think this hth.

OK, enlighten me as to what Bezos has done in the past year that makes him a more influential person than the leaders of world superpowers.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

What has me worried about Trump is that he seems unlikely to hit the same problem as W. Bush II was all kinds of evil, but he pretended not to be on matters of immigration and tolerance of muslims. Those were two things that annoyed what became Trump's base, and I think that had a lot to do with his approval eventually going down after his failed attempt at immigration reform.

I'm not sure what it would take to shake members of the modern GOP free of the Trump cult. Less ideological Independents would probably be the big variable. They seemed to back Trump because they weren't paying attention and saw him as an outsider. They could be reasonably expected to flip the other way if things get bad, and that group could make the difference in a number of races.

I'm not going to lie, with the courts lost to us and geography working against the Democrats we're probably going to have to rely on other avenues to promote a progressive agenda. It's not necessarily hopeless, especially if we can rebuild some influence at the state level and get a bit of luck in bucking the GOP's advantages in congress and legislatures.

We're going to have to rebuild institutional knowledge from the ground up, and that can be accomplished through state agencies and promoting public universities. Retaking governor seats in the Midwest would be a big deal in arresting that region's decline and rebuilding party infrastructure for 2020.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Listen to that drat Nixon interview, he sounds like such a reasonable thoughtful guy

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Time should pick "Everyone except Donald J Trump"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If it's any consolation a light reading sounds like they are nailing the guy

I'd be absolutely shocked if the cop got convicted.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Time should pick someone in Trump's administration that isn't Trump, just to see how fast whoever that is gets kicked out.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

haveblue posted:

OK, enlighten me as to what Bezos has done in the past year that makes him a more influential person than the leaders of world superpowers.

Convinced a bunch of major American cities to have a bumfight for his amusement.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Time should pick "Everyone except Donald J Trump"

Time should pick "Hillary Clinton" because her shadow presidency and constant scandals are casting a pall over whatever schmuck is officially president.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I gotta ask though, why the gently caress do we even care who the Time person of the year is? The copped out so hard a few years back when the chose “everyone” and might as well have ended the practice at that point.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

"He feared for his life"

Maybe the police should stop hiring cowards.

edit: "cowards"

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lightning Knight posted:

I gotta ask though, why the gently caress do we even care who the Time person of the year is? The copped out so hard a few years back when the chose “everyone” and might as well have ended the practice at that point.

For the Trump tweets when he doesn't get it. The man make a tweet.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Time person of the year went astray when they chose Rudy over Osama. Osama was the clear winner in 2001 but they wimped out.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Time should pick someone in Trump's administration that isn't Trump, just to see how fast whoever that is gets kicked out.

Person of the Year Mike Pence

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Grammarchist posted:

I'm not sure what it would take to shake members of the modern GOP free of the Trump cult. Less ideological Independents would probably be the big variable. They seemed to back Trump because they weren't paying attention and saw him as an outsider. They could be reasonably expected to flip the other way if things get bad, and that group could make the difference in a number of races.

Do you remember 10 years ago back in January when the first thing the newly minted GOP Congress elected to do was eliminate the independent ethics committee? Trump told them to knock that poo poo off immediately, and they withdrew. The GOP dann well knew what they were going to accomplish over these next 4 years would be some of the most corrupt, back-handed slimy poo poo the US has ever seen, and they were being so forward about it that Donald J loving Trump called them out on it.

The GOP is full of literal criminals from top to bottom and they won’t let go of a rubber-stamping idiot unless Trump vetoes the tax bill.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Ugh. I have a friend that is hoping this tax plan passes. He works for a company that will see 750k more. He thinks he will get a bonus. There is also profit sharing. Would you even get any of that on a profit sharing? He also only saw how good his personal taxes would be for the first year.

I went on a bit of a rant on the actual long term hit to his check as well as my check, told him how hosed I was going to be because my kids are on medical and a few other points. But hey, he *might* get a bonus and all.
All else being equal his company's tax burden will be 750k lighter which means extra money to use, but not necessarily "profit" as he's thinking of it.

Profit sharing as an employment bonus usually means operational profit which is to say in simple terms: the revenue from the sale minus the cost of what it took to make the sale happen. The 750k tax break don't figure in, that comes later and is when the company finds itself with a larger net profit (actual money left over after all business obligations) that the company can then do whatever it wants with.

He wouldn't see a dime of it, unless you wanted to subscribe to a supply-side argument that the company grows faster with the extra 750k and can do more business down the road and then he'll see more profit sharing $$ in his check.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If we’re saying what should be the person of the year just to piss Trump off they should make it Hillary Clinton, hands down. It’s simultaneously guaranteed to piss him off and a plausible answer to the question.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

TheMadMilkman posted:

Prior to the 2016 election, I considered switching from Democrat to Independent because I was unhappy with the direction that party was headed. I still would have voted straight D, even if doing so is a throwaway vote here in suburban Utah.

After this year of Republican control? Ya, no chance in hell I'm doing anything that can be interpreted as remotely approving of the Republican party. Even declaring myself Independent wouldn't be enough of a stand against these morons.

I had the same thoughts, I heavily considered switching from Democrat to Independent before the 2016 election. I decided to remain Democrat when I realized I didn't want to jeopardize my ability to caucus. To anyone else considering leaving the Democrats, don't forget that being able to caucus can make a difference.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bhaal posted:

All else being equal his company's tax burden will be 750k lighter which means extra money to use, but not necessarily "profit" as he's thinking of it.

Profit sharing as an employment bonus usually means operational profit which is to say in simple terms: the revenue from the sale minus the cost of what it took to make the sale happen. The 750k tax break don't figure in, that comes later and is when the company finds itself with a larger net profit (actual money left over after all business obligations) that the company can then do whatever it wants with. He wouldn't see a dime of it, unless you wanted to subscribe to a supply-side argument that the company grows faster with the extra 750k and can do more business down the road and then he'll see more profit sharing $$ in his check.
He's also blindly trusting that the GOP's rhetoric about trickle-down economics being true. His bosses make more money now, so of course they'll pass that on to their workers in the form of a bonus. That's how capitalism works!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

He's literally speedrunning watergate

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

If we’re saying what should be the person of the year just to piss Trump off they should make it Hillary Clinton, hands down. It’s simultaneously guaranteed to piss him off and a plausible answer to the question.

Nah, I don't want to give her even the least tiny bit encouragement to try for a 2020 run. Just let her go and hope she finally takes the hint and moves on to running her charity or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trabisnikof posted:

I'd be absolutely shocked if the cop got convicted.

Victim was white, so that helps.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey speaking of McDonalds does anyone know IF Trump has been paying the White House bills? He needs to pay out of his own pocket for food and such, I'm just wondering if he's actually been paying or if that money is coming out of his reelection fund or if the RNC is paying "somehow" or what. I haven't seen a twitter meltdown about it so I'm assuming he's just not paying.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Since the last winning presidential campaign was basically "trigger the libs", the correct pick for 2017 person of the year is definitely Kaepernick. No other person has pissed off conservatives more this year, plus giving him a bigger platform would be cool and good.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

That is a deeply chilling story that should be more publicized, but the author's handwringing equivocation on racist police violence is pretty dumb imho.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Trump's lawyer clearing the "if the president does it it's not illegal" stage for him wasn't something I was expecting in the Nixon speedrun.

OddObserver posted:

Well, Russia has parts of the country that get really screwed when "always cold" becomes "sometimes warm"... like buildings collapsing in the ground kinda screwed, to be precise, so it's a uniquely
bad argument for them.

They also believe that massive swaths of land will become valuable farmland, while current farmlands, like in the US, would become desolate or far less productive.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Nah, I don't want to give her even the least tiny bit encouragement to try for a 2020 run. Just let her go and hope she finally takes the hint and moves on to running her charity or something.

The only parameter I was told that matters is making Trump mad. :colbert:

If not her then I’d argue for Putin to be honest.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

business hammocks posted:

It was the silents and the WWII generation that built American hegemony. Believe it or not, they’ve only fully left politics within the last 15 years or so.

Boomers are trash, though.

how's the last 15 years been going by the way?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

We're still waiting on charges in the Justine Damond case. I'm not hopeful.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Not really, being white just helps you from being shot in the first place but the justice system sides with cops regardless of the victim's race.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

They also believe that massive swaths of land will become valuable farmland, while current farmlands, like in the US, would become desolate or far less productive.

Ah yes, the rich agricultural promise of land that hasn't been fertile for multiple geologic eras.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Watch them piss off basically everybody by making Harvey Weinstein person of the year

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/937723819141353472?s=17

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

loving :lol: she's literally Angela from The Office who only referred to her husband as The Senator.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

This was never not going to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just imagine Trump taking a principled stand against Moore :lol:

• Locked thread