Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vasudus posted:

My retirement target is 2045. Provided there's still a stock market I'll be fine by then.

Very few people in GIP will end up actually retired, without serious injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

If Roy Moore wins, I hold zero hope for 2018

Alabama isn't exactly a good benchmark for Democratic performance against Republicans. If Jones comes within 5 points, that'll be bad news for Republicans in moderate states.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

If he wins the senate republicans will finally realize that nothing matters to their base and they can say or do whatever they want both on and off the job. We're now in a world where some people see being a democrat as more evil than molesting children.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Look inside your heart. He's going to run away with this. At least 58%.

MA-Horus posted:

Insh'allah I'll be marrying into a family with a mind-boggling amount of wealth. I've already joked about signing a prenup, but knowing how much cash my gf's dad has to throw around that's probably not a joke.

this is the guy buying an Eagle roadster.

Not bragging, I just don't quite know how I'm going to handle it.

One of those Jaguar things?

Buy him a bottle of this for Christmas:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

KildarX posted:

Further it's really hard to understand, but there is a difference between. "I am getting phat stacks from my holdings and no longer have to work" vs "I and my family will have "gently caress You" money forever more"

No one in something awful has "gently caress you" money. Otherwise we'd hear about some goon getting a tax exemption for Wifu body pillows.

Edit: although there is that goon with from what I hear is a really nice condo :thunk:

I got a house worth 650k on paper with 100k mortgage. I'm expecting it to go back down in value with this excrement of a tax plan.

Thanks Obama.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My mom's a public school teacher whose retirement was wiped out by two cancer treatments. Also she worked through the first couple of weeks of chemo, so that she could afford more treatment one the coverage wore out.

Good to know she's going to be taxed on school supplies so that the real job creators can be rewarded for their good judgement.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm still mired in debt from the previous housing market collapse. :/

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm lucky as gently caress my parents worked two jobs each l and were able to pay for my college. Grew up poor but as they stayed in their jobs we moved into the upper middle class. I live on Long Island NY, one of the highest taxed, highest cost of living spots in America (besides large cities like San Fran, LA, NYC). My girlfriend and I make a combined income of less than $75k / year, she's got student loans to pay off, and our 1 room apartment is $1600 a month. Any other place we'd be upper middle class. We've got a few thousand in savings. We have that cushion. We live within our means, but her medical coverage sucks and it gets worse by the year. We're lucky we have thay cushion, but that cushion has been diminishing due to expensive drug costs per month that she needs to live.

We struggle to save for a house one day. This is absolutely "first world problems," but I'm trying to illustrate that even coming from a decidedly upper middle class family, my prospects of making as much money as my parents did are not good. Again, this isn't to complain as a sob story, this is to illustrate how hosed our economy and society has become. Millenials will be the first generation to not have a standard of living better than the parents generation. Even with all the privilege I was born with and grew into (white male, upper middle class) and utilized, I'm still likely going to have a lesser standard of living than my parents. How the gently caress are the poor and lower middle class supposed to survive, much less move into the upper middle class? The game is becoming even more rigged against the poor and middle class, and half those fucks don't even realize it because they're too worried about dumb LIEBERALS and EMAILS and keeping Christ in Christmas and ABORTIONS and other culture war bullshit the GOP uses to divide our nation, and distract us from how badly we're getting pounded in the rear end by the rich.

Most Americans don't even have enough money for a $500 emergency expense. That is a loving travesty. gently caress this tax bill. gently caress the GOP. gently caress McConnell and Ryan. gently caress Trump. gently caress this loving earth.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 4, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Wasabi the J posted:

My mom's a public school teacher whose retirement was wiped out by two cancer treatments.

Good to know she's going to be taxed on school supplies so that the real job creators can be rewarded for their good judgement.

As of last Thursday, the Senate version of the tax plan actually doubled the deduction for teachers' supplies, obviously reacting to the overwhelming criticism of that measure in the House version. There are plenty of things to criticize the bill for (kiss ANWR goodbye, e.g.), but this isn't one of them.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

at the date posted:

As of last Thursday, the Senate version of the tax plan actually doubled the deduction for teachers' supplies, obviously reacting to the overwhelming criticism of that measure in the House version. There are plenty of things to criticize the bill for (kiss ANWR goodbye, e.g.), but this isn't one of them.

Oh cool she can get her other perceptions from CVS-Aetna, an Omni Corp subsidiary.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Here’s my humblebrag about how much money I have (it may shock you):

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bored As gently caress posted:

Most Americans don't even have enough money for a $500 emergency expense. That is a loving travesty. gently caress this tax bill. gently caress the GOP. gently caress McConnell and Ryan. gently caress Trump. gently caress this loving earth.

:same: even though the only real source of resentment along this vein is my college debt.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Woof Blitzer posted:

No where to go but up!

Boot straps are not free.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

Here's the funny part about that though.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/937686807201943553

Moore's an uncontrollable, religious nutbag and he won't take Donnie or McConnell's poo poo. Jones might actually want to get re-elected and would act quasi-Republican.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Woof Blitzer posted:

Oh you look like a goon of means, would you like to try my neck massage machine?

The bucket's there just to make sure you don't mess up your hair on the floor, don't worry.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Having no college debt and being a DINK household is a way to find yourself not wealthy, but so much above the median that it's ridiculous. It's loving awful how many people are two week's pay away from defaulting on stuff or having to sell off their possessions.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mlmp08 posted:

Having no college debt and being a DINK household is a way to find yourself not wealthy, but so much above the median that it's ridiculous. It's loving awful how many people are two week's pay away from defaulting on stuff or having to sell off their possessions.

Yeah, this. Like Dr. FAUXTON and I even still have college debt but our income is enough to save at a decent clip.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Here's the funny part about that though.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/937686807201943553

Moore's an uncontrollable, religious nutbag and he won't take Donnie or McConnell's poo poo. Jones might actually want to get re-elected and would act quasi-Republican.

But if there is a Dem swing in 2018, Jones will likely swing back.

Moore? No.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

But if there is a Dem swing in 2018, Jones will likely swing back.

Moore? No.

Republicans aren't hedging their bets for 2018. Their legislative priorities are centered around the assumption they'll lose the house next year.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm making good money now but it'll take years still before I'm comfortable. My 20s were absolutely ruinous on my finances and I'm lucky enough that my parents could float me a few grand when I needed it. The only way that that was possible was largely because my dad died and my mom could spare it.

edit: I was on food stamps in 2013-2014 and all that jazz

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wasabi the J posted:

My mom's a public school teacher whose retirement was wiped out by two cancer treatments. Also she worked through the first couple of weeks of chemo, so that she could afford more treatment one the coverage wore out.

Public school teachers are probably more evil than democratic politicians to the GOP at this point, friendo.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

Public school teachers are probably more evil than democratic politicians to the GOP at this point, friendo.

Welfare queens who teach English to illegal immigrants in public schools, next time on Sean Hannity!

BigDave fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 4, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Most wealthy people are one lovely day from being poor. Thanks, cancer

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It took most of my 20s to become fiscally stable, finally doing ok now and will be doing better when I move in with the woman, no mortgage only condo fees.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

So we should dis-incentivize people from being self-sufficient? Like you seriously want to tax the balance in someones checking account?

Seriously. If you have a quarter million sitting in your checking account gently caress you.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

20k is a standard person's checking account balance? wealthy boi identified.

I mean, it's one banana, Hex... What could it cost? Ten dollars?

MA-Horus posted:

Insh'allah I'll be marrying into a family with a mind-boggling amount of wealth. I've already joked about signing a prenup, but knowing how much cash my gf's dad has to throw around that's probably not a joke.

this is the guy buying an Eagle roadster.

Not bragging, I just don't quite know how I'm going to handle it.

Do they have cousins? I am an eligible bachelor in search of a wife.

One of the people I was acquainted with in Hawaii met his $100M trust fund wife on a beach. He got out of the Navy fast.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 4, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm doing pretty OK but I'm aware that's mostly because I've been lucky enough to never have kids.

"They'll come after you next!" has always been one of the most effective methods of duping the middle class into siding with the upper class on issues like this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arven posted:

If he wins the senate republicans will finally realize that nothing matters to their base and they can say or do whatever they want both on and off the job. We're now in a world where some people see being a democrat as more evil than molesting children.

Before the Civil War South Carolina kept electing a dude who diddled his underage cousin/neice because he was an ardent secessionist/general friend of slavery. We've been in this lovely world before.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

M_Gargantua posted:

Seriously. If you have a quarter million sitting in your checking account gently caress you.

literally this

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Before the Civil War South Carolina kept electing a dude who diddled his underage cousin/neice because he was an ardent secessionist/general friend of slavery. We've been in this lovely world before.

Who was this?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Strom Thurmond

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DAS Super! posted:

Who was this?

James Henry Hammond. He was even a Senator!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nice

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Professor Bling posted:

literally this

thankfully I clock in at 35k under that mark. Phew!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Notable quotes

quote:

"I firmly believe," said Governor J. H. Hammond, "that American slavery is not only not a sin, but especially commanded by God through Moses, and approved by Christ through his apostles."[14]

Governor J. H. Hammond once said: "I endorse without reserve the much abused sentiment of Governor McDuffie, that 'slavery is the corner-stone of our republican edifice;' while I repudiate, as ridiculously absurd, that much lauded but nowhere accredited dogma of Mr. Jefferson that 'all men are born equal.'

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

thankfully I clock in at 35k under that mark. Phew!

If that's in your checking account as opposed to IRAs or savings or funds, I have bad news for you about your financial management skills. But still good news that you have some money!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

If that's in your checking account as opposed to IRAs or savings or funds, I have bad news for you about your financial management skills. But still good news that you have some money!

well OBVIOUSLY I have money in other financial products, but I keep a little spare change on hand this time of year, what with Christmas and Baselworld coming up

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

How much should one keep in their checking account at a maximum?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

more than you need to pay your known bills for a month while putting as much money as possible into higher growth financial products. i don't have a beep boop number for you but if you are asking the question "what do I do with all these extra simoleons I have lying around" I am assuming you have access to some sort of financial advisor or w/e that can help you manage your money and select the right products based on what you are getting from your employer, future goals that require liquidity (like a house purchase) and so on.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/937733620281761793

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

How much should one keep in their checking account at a maximum?

One year of living expenses (minus dividends or other passive income) if you're retired. I'd say six months (of bare minimum rent + utilities + groceries) if you're still working.

• Locked thread