Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

The Klingon guy is almost a secondary antagonist, the bad guy for discovery is ambiguously the captain and the bit's more about leading up to the consequences for the guy in the cube who was running the drive and also Burnham's plot over on the ship. Discovery jumping around and clowning them isn't really the payoff.

Yeah it is, that whole episode's plot is "we have to figure out how to defeat the klingon cloak or trillions will die!!!111!" Or was it "that planetwide intelligence has set up a peace summit, we have a unique chance to end the war and to hell with these clueless bureaucrats"? No no, it was "we screwed with that planet, now we have a duty to protect it"? Something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Yeah it is, that whole episode's plot is "we have to figure out how to defeat the klingon cloak or trillions will die!!!111!" Or was it "that planetwide intelligence has set up a peace summit, we have a unique chance to end the war and to hell with these clueless bureaucrats"? No no, it was "we screwed with that planet, now we have a duty to protect it"? Something like that.

Yeah but the main tension from that sequence came from the cut-out burnham material. Plus, saving trillions of lives is almost a secondary plot point in discovery to wow aren't these characters tortured and also crossing too many lines

...okay yeah it's not great. But it's not as bad as that first assessment.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 4, 2017

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I preferred when people falling over each other to give their hot takes on complaining about Discovery was kept in the Discovery thread.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

thexerox123 posted:

I preferred when people falling over each other to give their hot takes on complaining about Discovery was kept in the Discovery thread.

Are you not aware of the Klingon proverb that tells us that criticism is a dish that is best served cold? And it is very cold on All Accessssss

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why is Discovery cutting stuff out to fit in a network 42 minutes? They do realize they are on streaming services right?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why is Discovery cutting stuff out to fit in a network 42 minutes? They do realize they are on streaming services right?

It is airing on TV in some international markets. It airs on Space here in Canada.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
If you nerds think the festivities onboard the discovery is too much to handle, you wouldn't last a day aboard the USS partyship Sutherland

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

It took me 5 seasons to give up on Voyager. It took me one season to give up on Enterprise, although I came back. I gave up on Discovery after 3 episodes and nothing I've seen is doing anything to change my mind this time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"powering up engines!"

*Oooontz oontz oontzoontzoontz"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

It took me 5 seasons to give up on Voyager. It took me one season to give up on Enterprise, although I came back. I gave up on Discovery after 3 episodes and nothing I've seen is doing anything to change my mind this time.

Imagine your loss if you gave up on TNG after three episodes.

Not saying STD will be anywhere near as good. I'll be thrilled if it ends up as good as ENT, but that seems needlessly final.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If you mean what I'm saying about cutting, that was the youtube uploader.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I think discovery is cool and fun and probably one of my favorite star treks to date :)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Please don't date Star Treks.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The swooping was even more gratuitous in the other clip I've seen of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOSn0d56Eqw&t=17s

Honestly, Jeb, this is just a sort of Super Picard Maneuver that only that ship is capable of due to a special magic space mushrooms hyper-tech ship-teleporting gadget built into it. It only does it the one time here, and it's a plot-critical moment.

...now, everything I just wrote up there is accurate and true, and would be fine, really, but the problem is that the people doing the show's effects went a little too far in dwelling on it to show off their effects, which had the opposite effect, all told. Most of Discovery's space combat has actually been fairly decent (though I'm not a fan of the assault-rifle phasers all the Starfleet ships have now (rather than sustained beams), even though I liked the Defiant's in DS9), over all, this aside.

Discovery isn't as bad as it was in the first two episodes! Even the party wasn't THAT bad, and I say that as someone who really didn't, like, enjoy watching it. The ARE TROOPS speech even kind of makes sense, given that it's a wartime Starfleet, and these people are losing friends and former academy classmates and peers and whatnot on a regular basis. There's a similar speech or two in DS9 (also a wartime Starfleet for part of it) which was much better, but that comes down more to it not being the first season, when we still barely KNOW or much care about any of these characters.

It's certainly not great Star Trek, I'd call it...adequate, with potential, and a terrible pilot. I've been enjoying it (post-pilot) more the vast majority of Enterprise and huge swathes of Voyager, anyway (which is damning with some pretty drat faint praise, as you hopefully understand someday).

(also, watch DS9 when you're done with TNG, your liveposting made this my favorite thread on SA when I first saw it here back in the summer, and was a not-tiny factor in my eventually deciding to register)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Imagine your loss if you gave up on TNG after three episodes.

Not saying STD will be anywhere near as good. I'll be thrilled if it ends up as good as ENT, but that seems needlessly final.

I don't think I stuck with it very well in the first 2 seasons, although I was 10 then, so from that long ago it's difficult to remember accurately now. If it weren't for The Orville as a contemporary point of comparison, I might have been slightly more willing to give Discovery some slack. If it gets to season 3 and suddenly becomes as good as TNG, show me some clips and we'll talk, but right now... I've got better things to do.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Yeah, there is no need for me to force myself to watch bad Trek(STD) when Orville exists.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Yeah, there is no need for me to force myself to watch bad Trek(STD) when Orville exists.

Enjoy your bickering divorcees.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You should indeed not "force yourself" to watch a show you don't enjoy, but jfc it's possible to watch two things.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No I only have one eye

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Enjoy your bickering divorcees.

Believable character conflict? Not in MY Star Trek *watches Michael Burnham wrestle a waterbear*

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

If it weren't for The Orville as a contemporary point of comparison, I might have been slightly more willing to give Discovery some slack.

This is how I feel; Discovery is an unusually-topped pizza, which is strange but overall tasty.

Thing is, the Orville brought a classic, greasy pepperoni-and-cheese pizza. Which is what everyone who came for pizza was really hoping for.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TOS is cheese pizza.

TNG is sausage and mushroom.

DS9 is anchovies and pickled peppers.

Voyager is a greasy pepperoni.

Enterprise is half a plain deep dish.

Discovery is vegetarian barbecue pizza.

Orville is sausage and mushroom, but it's square.

TAS is tuna and corn.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arglebargle III posted:

TOS is cheese pizza.

TAS is tuna and corn.

I can’t tell if you have bad pizza opinions or bad Trek opinions or both

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well, now I have to do mine.

TOS is classic cheese. TNG adds pepperoni. DS9 swaps in salami and quattro formaggio. VOY is pepperoni again, but it's so underbaked that the cheese is just melted and the pepperoni is floppy. ENT goes for buffalo chicken but doesn't make enough for everyone. DIS brought a fancy white garlic pizza but drowned it in so much truffle oil it borders on inedible.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

TOS is cheese pizza.

TAS is tuna and corn.

I hate and disagree with every single thing in this post.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLEARLY DS9 is a calzone.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Start Truck TNG is a Digionio pepperoni pizza, The Orville is Red Baron, Discovery is Amy's kitchen gluten free veg.

DS9 is a big old Stromboli

Voyager is Totino's party pizza, Enterprise is store brand party pizza.

TOS is half a Freschetta and half a hungry Howie's.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 4, 2017

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Into Darkness is a pizza topped with ravioli

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My brother and I have referred too the stupid as gently caress single-nacelle starships as the Cannoli Class for well over a decade now.

That seems relevant for some reason.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Into Darkness is a big cheap frozen pizza that somebody topped with chopped-up little pieces of a real, reheated New York slice.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well, now I have idea of an Italian Enterprise for a party, with a pizza saucer, stromboli stardrive, and cannoli nacelles.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Star Trek discovery is a milk shake. The pizza analogies in this thread are a really bad pizza.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I remember years ago there used to be a pizza joint near the university I was going to called the Blind Onion. It had pretty decent pizza-by-the-slice and was cheap and had a nice lived-in feel, so I loved it.

Then they closed, presumably someone else bought the business, and renamed it Gutbusters and wrecked the decor, but I decided to give it a try one day anyway.

The pizza was almost inedible, it was the worst pizza I've ever had. I don't mean "worst pizza I've ever had from a restaurant", I mean every frozen pizza I've ever had was better than the dogshit they were serving.

On the Star Trek scale I'm pretty sure that Gutbusters was basically Nemesis

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nemesis is a raw potato drenched in marinara.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
STD is a lovely frozen pizza with a hastily scribbled drawing of the Enterprise on the box

Seriously what a trash show, it's not 1987 anymore there are at least two other space operas on tv these days dunking on it in every way

Like even if the next season is more coherent they're still stuck with these mostly poo poo characters, gently caress em

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

On the Star Trek scale I'm pretty sure that Gutbusters was basically Nemesis

That is remarkable in its precision.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Insurrection is one too-small reheated bagel pizza made by your weird aunt sprinkled with some of her herbal supplements that she says will do wonders for your skin

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nah...TOS is classic pepperoni. TNG is classic pepperoni with added mushrooms, green peppers, etc.

Voyager is Sbarro.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Nah...TOS is classic pepperoni. TNG is classic pepperoni with added mushrooms, green peppers, etc.

Voyager is Sbarro.

So TNG is supreme! Sounds right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Enterprise is them going back to the drawing board to make an original, from-scratch pie, but they got scared they were loving it up so halfway through they started haphazardly throwing in stuff from the old pepperoni and supreme classic recipes