Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Subjunctive posted:

in the 90s I worked with the team that set up the HoC network bridging, and it apparently hasn't advanced at all since then

oh, so you're to blame for that mess?

but yeah, they haven't changed a thing in like 20 years as far as i can tell. the individual mp's offices just find some local scrublord to hack it together into something that is functional for them, from what i've seen this usually results in some godawful network abomination that's held together with prayers and chewing gum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

infernal machines posted:

no, their insufferable internal IT people decided the architecture, I was just responsible for making sure they hadn't hosed up the security aspects of the initial implementation (hint: ask your heart)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well they got one thing right, in that they managed to insulate themselves from the stupid poo poo the mps do on their office networks

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Security Fuckup Megathread - Glad you're taking full advantage of it!

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

Security Fuckup Megathread - Glad you're taking full advantage of it!

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

the mso team response is funny, but where exactly is the secfuck? it seems to me like that guy is turning code execution into... code execution

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah that's a code execution allows code execution thing. maybe its a child learning of vbas existence for the first time? at this point lots of people probably only know of the web side of office.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think the "without creating any additional processes" is kind of the sticking point

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well unless you count powershell as a process. also there is a com process running the code, he just created it without a UI

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bonfire Lit posted:

the mso team response is funny, but where exactly is the secfuck? it seems to me like that guy is turning code execution into... code execution

it's a way of pulling payload without tripping process-detection defenses

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

isn’t it just another “macro” abuse?!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

it's a way of pulling payload without tripping process-detection defenses

even if it does hide a process, what process-detection mechanism is going to be worried about visio running on a computer where visio is installed?

also you could just do a regular remote execution over rpc and then you don't have to worry about visio being installed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

geonetix posted:

isn’t it just another “macro” abuse?!

do macros let you run an executable without the executable showing up as its own process?

this would appear to bypass application whitelisting for example

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

even if it does hide a process, what process-detection mechanism is going to be worried about visio running on a computer where visio is installed?

yes, exactly the point

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
so then you agree this is stupid since its the same thing as just doing a regular remote exec without the visio middleman.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

so then you agree this is stupid since its the same thing as just doing a regular remote exec without the visio middleman.

it's stupid because graphviz is better than visio and also doesn't have insipid ties into the whole windows automation malware rodeo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

I believe that it means that if you open a visio file it can grab a payload and execute it, hidden with visio's benign-looking process

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I believe that it means that if you open a visio file it can grab a payload and execute it, hidden with visio's benign-looking process

I too am scared of interpreters.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

apseudonym posted:

ah nice it's great to meet somebody who writes security procedures for big companies and the government finally

(disa stigs generally want you to not have compilers or interpreters lying around but lmao)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

apseudonym posted:

I don't like unbounded interpreters that are accessible via office-esque file types, I admit. It's a lot easier to trick someone into opening a Visio file than a powershell one, and harder to filter the former at an edge, and harder to make the latter silent and invisible AFAIK.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

infernal machines posted:

but yeah, they haven't changed a thing in like 20 years as far as i can tell. the individual mp's offices just find some local scrublord to hack it together into something that is functional for them, from what i've seen this usually results in some godawful network abomination that's held together with prayers and chewing gum

That's apparently true for everything in the palace of Westminster, if this article is to be believed. It's one electrical fire or sewage pump failure away from disaster.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

i took it to mean visio itself was not visible, but its really not clear from a single tweet.

it would be strange indeed if visio hid the calc.exe process somehow.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

i took it to mean visio itself was not visible, but its really not clear from a single tweet.

it would be strange indeed if visio hid the calc.exe process somehow.
glad you finally made it through that tweet in one piece

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk how you would take it to mean calc.exe is invisible when hes talking about the VBA

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

calc.exe isn't invisible. launching it is what the sample payload does to visibly demonstrate that it can execute code. actually installing a persistence layer and being malware wouldn't require additional processes, but would also be sort of an rear end in a top hat demo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

idk how you would take it to mean calc.exe is invisible when hes talking about the VBA
i stand corrected

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

calc.exe isn't invisible. launching it is what the sample payload does to visibly demonstrate that it can execute code. actually installing a persistence layer and being malware wouldn't require additional processes, but would also be sort of an rear end in a top hat demo

if calc.exe shows up then why wouldn't a replacement piece of malware show up? You still need permission/whitelisting to launch the calc.exe or whatever malware is being run as a child process of visio.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

if calc.exe shows up then why wouldn't a replacement piece of malware show up? You still need permission/whitelisting to launch the calc.exe or whatever malware is being run as a child process of visio.

the malware is the script that's downloaded as a string and now running on the fully-functional interpreter. it doesn't need another process to execute

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol this has been a joy to watch unfold

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol this has been a joy to watch unfold

It feels like this is going to reduce itself to a semantic argument about the nature of threats, and have to build on that understanding to reach a point where "why this specific situation is not necessarily a good thing" is reached.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 4, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

the malware is the script that's downloaded as a string and now running on the fully-functional interpreter. it doesn't need another process to execute

so then its just like WMI or other dcom stuff? Granted idk why visio would ever need to be remotely activated, but this isn't exactly new.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

reminds me of this old new thing

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Security Bug? I can delete my documents in the "my documents" directory.

e: Actually looks like I have full privileges on those documents.

e2: Holy poo poo! I can use Visio to create new documents, and those documents can contain arbitrary code that will delete all the files, or create new ones!

drat. Where should I report this? Should I tweet @tavis?

e3: Final test, it appears I can also launch calc.exe.

Boom, pwned!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

anyone here used airwatch for mdm before?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

my bitter bi rival posted:

We looked at it, mathed out their $4/mo/device rate, and said fuuuuuck no standardized on iOS only and bought a Mac to run the free apple MDM software

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

my bitter bi rival posted:

yeah and we're moving as fast as we can to google mdm because it is a waste of money for spotty features.

But we're using it for exclusively corp. owned devices so maybe there is a killer byod feature we don't care about.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm evaluating it for a client because they want sandboxed mail

they insist on mixed-environment BYOD, so our options are limited

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Intune MAM is p good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

try mdma

Adbot