Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

(also, watch DS9 when you're done with TNG, your liveposting made this my favorite thread on SA when I first saw it here back in the summer, and was a not-tiny factor in my eventually deciding to register)

Whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TOS is cheese pizza, but not from NY, but it's the best you could get at the time so you just dealt with it
TNG is NY pizza, but it has pepperoni which gives it slightly less universal appeal, but only slightly
DS9 is pizza you get in Italy that isn't like American pizza at all, but some people swear by it
VOY is Domino's
ENT is some place called "NY Pizza" in the south, you know they're trying really hard but they're just not quite getting it right

JJTrek is one of those Taco Bells that also has a Pizza Hut inside

(I haven't seen Discovery)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Brawnfire posted:

Well, now I have to do mine.

TOS is classic cheese. TNG adds pepperoni. DS9 swaps in salami and quattro formaggio. VOY is pepperoni again, but it's so underbaked that the cheese is just melted and the pepperoni is floppy. ENT goes for buffalo chicken but doesn't make enough for everyone. DIS brought a fancy white garlic pizza but drowned it in so much truffle oil it borders on inedible.

This is startlingly accurate.

Tighclops posted:

STD is a lovely frozen pizza with a hastily scribbled drawing of the Enterprise on the box

Seriously what a trash show, it's not 1987 anymore there are at least two other space operas on tv these days dunking on it in every way

Like even if the next season is more coherent they're still stuck with these mostly poo poo characters, gently caress em

You know what I am beginning to think that Tighclops doesn't like STD.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The Orville is an open-faced cheese and tomato pie with Italian seasoning, but do not call it a pizza

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
When people are comparing something to an NY pizza, do they mean the greasy $1 cardboard slice you get from a hole in the wall on 8th ave or like a $4.50 slice out of a fancier brooklyn joint

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Farscape, being better than most Trek, is...

...that's actually pretty accurate

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The Orville is an open-faced cheese and tomato pie with Italian seasoning, but do not call it a pizza

It's a calzone, a pizza that's slightly harder to eat.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I can't believe everyone calling TOS a simple "cheese pizza." It's like a 5-cheese, stuffed crust pizza with pepperoni. Maybe it's too cheesy for some people, but if you like that sort of thing, it's the very best.

Discovery is something really divisive, like pineapple.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I can't believe everyone calling TOS a simple "cheese pizza." It's like a 5-cheese, stuffed crust pizza with pepperoni. Maybe it's too cheesy for some people, but if you like that sort of thing, it's the very best.

Yeah but the pizza shop dudes got hungry and the box only has a couple slices in it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lexx is the idea of using food in sex but where you go overboard and pour like an entire bottle of honey on someone and instead of being sexy it just ends up sort of gross, regrettable, and leaving sticky residue everywhere.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

VOY is a pepperoni Lean Pocket.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The Bloop posted:

instead of being sexy it just ends up sort of gross, regrettable, and leaving sticky residue everywhere.

my_entire_sexual_history.txt

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DS9 would be something really divisive like Chicago deep dish. For people who love it, there's nothing else like it in the world. But of course, there's going to be people who can't stand it, and just call it a casserole.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Discovery is something really divisive, like pineapple.

Discovery is a gourmet margherita pizza that the chef got fired halfway through making and replaced with the corporate staff of a national chain, which then proceeded to throw the semi-prepared ingredients in a blender and use the results to try making the next Little Ceasars hot-n-ready.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Firebert posted:

:five:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Holy poo poo these are some incredible analogies. Keep 'em comin'.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Each original franchise movie is a single slice of pizza. Varying quality, but the one constant is that it's not nearly enough to be a full meal.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Firebert posted:

NO ONE has margaritas and pizza

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

Each original franchise movie is a single slice of pizza. Varying quality, but the one constant is that it's not nearly enough to be a full meal.

Each TNG movie is like a slice of pizza that your weird friend made themselves. You can recognize all the ingredients, and the idea of making a pizza out of them sounds fantastic, but the execution ranges from "Eh" to "Blaaarf"

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
Nemesis looks like a pepperoni pizza with a white sauce instead of marinara, but upon biting into it, the pepperoni is bologna, the cheese is expired, and the sauce was ranch dressing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tragedienne posted:

Nemesis looks like a pepperoni pizza with a white sauce instead of marinara, but upon biting into it, the pepperoni is bologna, the cheese is expired, and the sauce was ranch dressing.

No Star Trek rules.

Wait

gently caress

No! Star Trek rules!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

Well, now I have to do mine.

TOS is classic cheese. TNG adds pepperoni. DS9 swaps in salami and quattro formaggio. VOY is pepperoni again, but it's so underbaked that the cheese is just melted and the pepperoni is floppy. ENT goes for buffalo chicken but doesn't make enough for everyone. DIS brought a fancy white garlic pizza but drowned it in so much truffle oil it borders on inedible.

I think this is the most accurate.
Next up, car analogies!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Peachfart posted:

I think this is the most accurate.
Next up, car analogies!

Whatever else may come, VOY is the Aztek.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

XBenedict posted:

Great idea, doesn't live up to the promise?

Delta Flyer is a Plymouth Prowler

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TOS is a classic VW Beetle.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
TNG is that turtle-looking Ford Taurus model, all circles and curves and 90's spunk

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
So anyone who’s up on The Orville thread may know I just started my adventure into Star Trek because of how much I enjoy The Orville. I was some dumb elitist nerd my entire life and never gave Star Trek a chance; always very dismissive and would even rag on it even though I hadn’t actually seen it. I don’t think I had seen a single episode of Star Trek until two days ago. Now, my tastes and opinions have changed and I have since realized that Star Trek loving rules and I wasted so many years not being on the bandwagon.

So far I’ve been loving what I’ve watched of TOS. I already know I’m going to binge through all of it ASAP. I love stuff like Forbidden Planet, Starcrash, Space Thing, and such. Barbarella is one of my all time favorite films. So this is right up my alley.

I do have a question about the episode order in TOS. I know that there’s very little continuity between episodes so it’s sort of irrelevant what order I watch them in. I would prefer to watch them in order though if I can. On Plex/IMDb the episode order looks like this:

But for some reason, on several... umm... “packages of files”, the order of episodes is as follows

Which is the actual order that they were aired in so I can get this in the proper order. I’ve checked multiple sources and it seems a toss up what order they list them as. Some sources say what Plex is loading for metadata and other sources say the order the files were actually put in.

Edit: Looks like Netflix has them in the same order as what Plex tries to order them as. I’m guessing that’s probably correct.

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 4, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Who cares, just watch it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Top is broadcast order, bottom is production order. It doesn’t really matter which way you watch them, but production order kind of eases you into the series a little better imo.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TOS is the extreme of literally zero character and plot development between episodes. Just watch it. TNG has some, but it isn't necessary. DS9 really should be watched in order.
Don't watch Voyager.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Thank you! Much appreciated :)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah practically like a quarter of the first season of TOS is pilots somehow, they don't even get a stable crew lineup until halfway in. Personally I'd say the closest thing to the "real" first episode would be "Where No Man Has Gone Before". But overall, they really did not plan it out the same way they plan out TV these days, to the extent that it's almost better to watch it in random order. There really isn't a "let's introduce all the characters and concepts" episode, they just kinda throw you into it. (Though again, "Where No Man..." comes closest.)

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

XBenedict posted:

Nah, that's not right.

TOS is a 1984 Dodge Caravan, it weird and quirky and new. Overall though it's pretty good, despite having some issues.

TNG is a 1996 Toyota Camry. It's kind of attractive in an understated, subdued sort of way. But at the end of the day, it's dead reliable and you can always count on it for a certain level of quality.

DS9 is probably a better fit for the Aztek than Voyager. A bit rough around the edges, underappreciated in its time, but laying the blueprint for the future of the form.

Voyager is a 70s British Sports Car. All the ingredients for greatness are there, but they're slapped together in an impossibly lovely manner. Also, sometimes it catches on fire for no good reason.

Enterprise is a Nissan Sentra. All the basic elements are there, and work more or less most of the time. But it's not especially good at anything or particularly interesting.

Discovery is an 87 Chevy Caprice, jacked up on 30 inch wheels with neon lights all over it. It's flashy and visually interesting, but someone went well out of their way to make it lovely at being an actual car.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I wouldn't say there's zero progression. The most "natural" way to watch TOS - at least in the first season - is The Cage, Where No Man Has Gone Before, The Man Trap, Charlie X, and then follow it through broadcast order. There is some continuity (I, Mudd obviously happened after Mudd's Women, for example), but it's subtle.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I wouldn't say there's zero progression. The most "natural" way to watch TOS - at least in the first season - is The Cage, Where No Man Has Gone Before, The Man Trap, Charlie X, and then follow it through broadcast order. There is some continuity (I, Mudd obviously happened after Mudd's Women, for example), but it's subtle.

Someone please show those miners the joy of homosexuality and there will be no need to spend money on wives

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Windows 98 posted:

Someone please show those miners the joy of homosexuality and there will be no need to spend money on wives

I read 'miners' wrong at first.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Peachfart posted:

I read 'miners' wrong at first.

Spotted the aatrek re-reg 👀

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Hipster_Doofus posted:

You know what I am beginning to think that Tighclops doesn't like STD.

It's the only Trek thing that makes me angrier the more I think about it, it's so aggressively mediocre in every modern cliche it utilizes. STD is so lame you could use it as an example of why capitalism is poo poo.

Goddamn holy gently caress I need to eat some pizza with Xanax or something now

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Babylon 5 next for me it is then. I'll miss the Trek verse but I crave that 90s space station drama.

I like Discovery because it is entertaining but holy hell is the pace way, way too fast. They go through what should be massive plot points at a tremendous clip and everything moves so fast that none of the characterization makes much sense. Doesn't help that there's a cut every microsecond. It's telling that my favorite episode was the most standalone one, the Mudd time travel episode, since there was a real sense of internal plot progression Starfleet frat parties and all. The main Klingon war just jumps from point to point with no coherence. Maybe that's the point, it's a meta depiction of the spore drive :v:

I watched the first episode of TAS the other day and it was pretty great, ancient dead aliens being rediscovered is always cool, but I couldn't stop fixating on how little actual animation there is. Budget musta been looooow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

I watched the first episode of TAS the other day and it was pretty great, ancient dead aliens being rediscovered is always cool, but I couldn't stop fixating on how little actual animation there is. Budget musta been looooow.

Budget was so low their colorist was colorblind.