Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chip Kelly will get Ryan Day the Oregon job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/garrettstepien/status/937340822785282048

The replies :vince:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
:eyepop:

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I didn't know I needed in this in my life until now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Absolutely everything about the Herm Edwards hire is completely insane. I’m almost rooting for it to somehow work now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to start watching the Sun Devils

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MourningView posted:

Absolutely everything about the Herm Edwards hire is completely insane. I’m almost rooting for it to somehow work now.

If Herm gets two good coordinators and does nothing but recruit and play hype man, I could see ASU challenging for the division.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

If Herm gets two good coordinators and does nothing but recruit and play hype man, I could see ASU challenging for the division.

He hasn’t had to recruit since I was 2 years old and they’re keeping the coordinators they already had. They’re not gonna beat USC and UCLA just hired Chip.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

swickles posted:

The AD wants him to keep the OC and DC.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Frost announced seven assistants, all of whom were at UCF, and three of whom played for Nebraska (including Barrett Ruud, who is simply a good dude)

MourningView posted:

Poor Oregon. I wonder if they could poach the suddenly very available Leach? Norvell would be a good fit there too if he doesn’t get the Arkansas job instead

https://twitter.com/UCFSports/status/937755795588108288

.. and one of the replies posits that he may be seeing how the Oregon gig plays out (unfounded, but it'd make some sense)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

MourningView posted:

He hasn’t had to recruit since I was 2 years old and they’re keeping the coordinators they already had. They’re not gonna beat USC and UCLA just hired Chip.

neither of those teams have really been bama level unstoppable to asu though. the 2014 season was probably our ceiling right now and we split with those teams and laid a turd against OSU and lost a winnable game against arizona to end up 15th

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

https://twitter.com/JSCOTTVFL/status/937359651909271552

holy christ

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Real Name Grover posted:

Frost announced seven assistants, all of whom were at UCF, and three of whom played for Nebraska (including Barrett Ruud, who is simply a good dude)

https://twitter.com/UCFSports/status/937755795588108288

.. and one of the replies posits that he may be seeing how the Oregon gig plays out (unfounded, but it'd make some sense)

Ruud was one of my favorite Bucs.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

Ruud was one of my favorite Bucs.

Aw man I really liked him too

Nothing more in UT news except a newish name that was tossed out in Chad Morris - new in that it was confirmed he and Fulmer had talked. I like the idea.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

He brought his whole defensive staff with him. Which has me...concerned.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Barrett was a year behind me in high school and definitely one of the nice smart jocks.

Dango Bango posted:

He brought his whole defensive staff with him. Which has me...concerned.

Honestly I don't know enough about their D beyond the scoreboard, so I don't have an opinion on it, really. but UCF is currently #91 in total D, which is seven spots better than Nebraska!

E: In looking up D stats I found this :raise:-ing tidbit

Top 5 defenses (total yards)

1. Alabama
2. UTSA
3. Michigan
4. Wisconsin
5. Washington

Alright then.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 4, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

herm is a natural recruiter i don't think him being away from it for so long makes a difference

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/937746252250394625

:thunk:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

tempe david puddy: WE'RE THE DEVILS

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

herm is a natural recruiter i don't think him being away from it for so long makes a difference

Based on? Recruiting at a high level takes a lot more work than giving speeches on TV, and it’s way different than it was the last time he worked in college. Like he has charisma, but there’s more to it than that, and he’s going to be fighting over the same terrritory that gets recruited heavily by the rest of the PAC-12

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sounds like a Butch Jones press conference.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This is pretty good:

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/937769759550078977

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

Based on? Recruiting at a high level takes a lot more work than giving speeches on TV, and it’s way different than it was the last time he worked in college. Like he has charisma, but there’s more to it than that, and he’s going to be fighting over the same terrritory that gets recruited heavily by the rest of the PAC-12

Based on him being really good on selling a message everywhere he goes and his players always playing hard for him. The dude can make a pitch

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

MourningView posted:

I dunno, I don't think recruiting to ASU is a dogfight over scraps from the big california schools like you make it out to be. There's a ton of mommas boys in arizona that want to stay local, QBs from idaho that don't want to be cold, and guys in california/texas that want to be the big fish in a small pond. ASU doesn't have enough pull to make five star recruits come here but stuff happens and we end up with probably above-average talent anyways.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

Based on him being really good on selling a message everywhere he goes and his players always playing hard for him. The dude can make a pitch

They played so hard for him that his career record is 20 games under .500.

Like I get it, I really like listening to him talk too. If he was 20 years younger I might be on board. But recruiting is hard and he’s coming in at 63 with basically no experience doing it. And that’s not even getting into his massive flaws as an in game coach. If he’s gonna be good anything I guess it’s recruiting but I don’t think it’s a given at all.

hifi posted:

I dunno, I don't think recruiting to ASU is a dogfight over scraps from the big california schools like you make it out to be. There's a ton of mommas boys in arizona that want to stay local, QBs from idaho that don't want to be cold, and guys in california/texas that want to be the big fish in a small pond. ASU doesn't have enough pull to make five star recruits come here but stuff happens and we end up with probably above-average talent anyways.

They recruit a ton from Southern California. They hit Texas pretty hard too I guess, but that’s also a really competitive area. Locking down Phoenix is fine but I don’t think you’re gonna build a serious PAC-12 contender just doing that. You need to hit the LA area pretty hard.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 4, 2017

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Hot take: Herm Edwards is a good choice for ASU because Todd Graham already had them at their realistic peak, and if they want to go higher they should do something absolutely bananas. Hiring Herm Edwards counts as bananas.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Honestly I don't know enough about their D beyond the scoreboard, so I don't have an opinion on it, really. but UCF is currently #91 in total D, which is seven spots better than Nebraska!

My concern is based on the complete lack of any attempt at tackling by UCF in the games I've watched (most notably USF and Memphis). DBs especially. They would just throw themselves at the ball carrier -- no wrapping up or technique at all.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Democrazy posted:

Hot take: Herm Edwards is a good choice for ASU because Todd Graham already had them at their realistic peak, and if they want to go higher they should do something absolutely bananas. Hiring Herm Edwards counts as bananas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q86Rn4jETVk&t=10s

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/937788774687395846

Major Applewhite to Arky?

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
According to FootballScoop, Tennessee is down to Les Miles, Brent Venables, Kevin Steele, Chad Morris or Mel Tucker.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dango Bango posted:

My concern is based on the complete lack of any attempt at tackling by UCF in the games I've watched (most notably USF and Memphis). DBs especially. They would just throw themselves at the ball carrier -- no wrapping up or technique at all.
UCF's defense ranked middle of the road in most advanced stats; they ranked 53rd in scoring defense. That isn't great but it's certainly better than 91st overall. They also ranked near the bottom in time of possession.

I wouldn't be concerned about the defense until it's actually a problem.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Pandanaut posted:

According to FootballScoop, Tennessee is down to Les Miles, Brent Venables, Kevin Steele, Chad Morris or Mel Tucker.

:lol:

That is one sad list of people

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Glumslinger posted:

Venables would be a potentially really good hire.

I'd also think less of him if he'd been uninterested in jobs for so long but left for Tennessee after everything Tennessee in this search.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

Morris, Venable and Miles (with Tee) would be good hires for the state of the program. I've only seen Steele in reference to the DC job and Tucker is a new one for me and probably very very last on the list.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Here’s the link - https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Bolt/Phil-Fulmer-has-narrowed-his-list-of-candidates-to-five-111733030

I am hoping Mel really is last on the list.

Honestly it’s not an awful group. All of those guys can recruit and have had success in the southeast. It sure could be a lot worse considering how badly things have gone. Every single one of them is at least better than Schiano.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

MourningView posted:

Sure he's been out of the recruiting game for literally decades but Herm send like the type of hip, savvy guy who keeps up with the latest trends among today's youth. I heard he's already contacted recruits to give out his pager number and said they can beep him anywhere, any time.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

lol oregon

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

UCF's defense ranked middle of the road in most advanced stats; they ranked 53rd in scoring defense. That isn't great but it's certainly better than 91st overall. They also ranked near the bottom in time of possession.

Hmm. Out of curiosity I pulled both Nebraska and UCF's oppenents' total offense ranks. UCF's schedule average was 59 while Nebraska's was 58.5 (thanks Rutgers and Illinois).

And practically anything is an improvement over Bob "Civil ConFLiCT" Diaco in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/NoleGameday/status/937796294034247681

• Locked thread