Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Hot take: art is subjective and by extension so is everything involved in filmmaking, you cant argue what's "good" or "bad" unless you establish a baseline to work off of. DCEU fans and new thread visitors are operating off different observations of the same film, so the slapfight is pointless.

IMO working off what the general audience took away from a film is a good floor to discuss moopies, but obviously there's reasons why one might disagree with that.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

bushisms.txt posted:

In still trying to understand that post. Say what you want, smg is at least putting in work making their theories "work" with in the context of the film. The act of pulling a relevant zizek quote for their, at worst, "off topic ramblings," is more work and thought than movie bobs entire channel.

I think Foldable Human is kinda making a goofball of himself in this thread but hooooo boy let's not say things we regret and compare a perfectly fair-to-middling Youtube guy with a couple odd hangups to MovieBob

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guy A. Person posted:

I think you'll find the important thing here is that bbog agrees with the fellow therefor he is smart and other people are stupid

The projection in this post is powerful.

You can actually agree or disagree with whatever you like. But lol if you think this thread is anything other than a hive mind of faux 'deep reads' attacking whoever temporarily pulls back the curtain to reveal the wizard hastily thumbing through a thesaurus.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Negative critiques of Beavis and SS: "These films are dumpster fires that feel compromised by rushed development and overly meddlesome producers who are more concerned about market research and competing with Marvel than making good movies."

Positive critiques of Beavis and SS: "These films are exceptional in the superhero film genre, but feel compromised by rushed development and overly meddlesome producers who are more concerned about market research and competing with Marvel than making good movies."

WB/DC: "THEY DON'T LIKE IT, DOUBLE DOWN, DOUBLE DOWN!!!"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bring back old gbs posted:

You can actually agree or disagree with whatever you like. But lol if you think this thread is anything other than a hive mind of faux 'deep reads' attacking whoever temporarily pulls back the curtain to reveal the wizard hastily thumbing through a thesaurus.

so are you actually interested in talking about comic book movies at all or are you just being a boring weirdo trying to speak truth to power to the spooky elitist cined cabal

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

But lol if you think this thread is anything other than a hive mind of faux 'deep reads' attacking whoever temporarily pulls back the curtain to reveal the wizard hastily thumbing through a thesaurus.

This is libelous, all my praise of Batman v Superman is self-evidently shallow as gently caress. I think I've written like one effortpost about my least favorite part of the movie and then 50% of the rest is one-sentence deals about how incredible Mercy Graves' gala dress is

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I concur. I liked Dan's videos even if I don't agree with what he's saying in some of them. He puts effort into them and at least argues in good faith. MovieBob is, well, "not my X" incarnate and just rants and rambles with just some sort of vague point in there somewhere. Rare is the time he gets to the point and argues for it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Jenny Angel posted:

I think Foldable Human is kinda making a goofball of himself in this thread but hooooo boy let's not say things we regret and compare a perfectly fair-to-middling Youtube guy with a couple odd hangups to MovieBob

I wasn't making a correlation between the two. I'm simply comparing breadth of work, as before the last page, had no clue who Dan Olson is, and moviebob is prolific in the worst ways.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

Yeah, I agree with that. I just think it's a problem of miscategorization rather than inconcievable flubbery.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I wish Superman would snap this thread's neck.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Brother Entropy posted:

so are you actually interested in talking about comic book movies at all or are you just being a boring weirdo trying to speak truth to power to the spooky elitist cined cabal

I would like to see an honest discussion when a poster brings in new and different ideas, even if they go against the popular flow of the thread. What we get is a hundred almost-emptyquotes where people insult someone's appearance or speaking style while completely ignoring the content within, then flaunt this as if they are some sort of superior entity for noticing that. It is beyond pathetic, but 100% consistent with how this thread operates. It surprises me very little that the majority itt does not see this as an issue, or want it to stop.

Brother Entropy posted:

i'd like to see that too! maybe you should try it sometime
Fuckin yeesh. "What do you mean, ''''different opinions??'''' I listen to different people tell me the same thing all the time!"

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 4, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I would like to see an honest discussion when a poster brings in new and different ideas, even if they go against the popular flow of the thread.

i'd like to see that too! maybe you should try it sometime

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I actually agree the editing in several of the fight scenes in Suicide Squad leaves something to be desired (not the one where Deadshot jumps on the car though that sequence is p. much perfect), but it's a good movie nonetheless. Who knew honest to god production design could count for so much? I may have unintentionally seeded the idea that June Moon died in the "original" version btw since I said after seeing the movie for the first time her survival seemed like a jammed-in rewrite, but who knows?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am sure Suicide Squad would have been OK if it were just about Harley, but apparently it was felt that a good actress with supermodel looks, playing a particularly cheesecakey comics character, from DC's most popular franchise by a long shot, was not enough to hold down an entire movie, so a shitload of D-listers was added. As it is, it feels like the second movie in a Harley trilogy, but even if that were true it would not make sense of the overall plot.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Who knew honest to god production design could count for so much?

Well, Star Wars came out in 1977, so...

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
It's true that the movie is at its best when it's using Harley and Joker to do a poor man's Spring Breakers riff - which isn't the faint praise that it looks like, because Spring Breakers loving rules and drawing inspiration from it is only ever good

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jenny Angel posted:

It's true that the movie is at its best when it's using Harley and Joker to do a poor man's Spring Breakers riff - which isn't the faint praise that it looks like, because Spring Breakers loving rules and drawing inspiration from it is only ever good

Rules for me to poop on.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I still think Katana's inclusion in the movie originated in a conversation like this: "Okay, so we're gonna have a powerful magic villain. Obviously they're not gonna, like, just shoot her. Do we have a magic character we can add to the Squad?"

"Well, we don't want to use Zatanna, Dr. Fate is too much like Dr. Strange, I don't.... oh hey, how about a superhero with a magic weapon?"

"Is there one of those?"

"poo poo yeah!" :sigh: at least her costume in the movie owns

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 4, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

Who knows exactly what is going on. But it seems logical to me that in a realm not governed by actual profits and losses, but rather a horse race deciding whose shares go higher in basically a duopoly, the appearance of losing can be deeply affecting. And the narrative is that Marvel is very much ahead.

So the scramble for related properties might just be a Sony like panic for Aunt May related projects a couple years back. I mean, in the end all these movies make bank but I think for a lot of dumb reasons primacy counts.

I'd even go as far as to say that it's a three way fight between the comicbook shared cinematic universes of Marvel, DC and Fox's X-Meniverse. Fox had a few stumbles along the way (especially with Fantastic Four) but they gained a lot of ground recently with Logan and Deadpool.

Given how cheesy their other X-Men films have been it's kind've weird that Fox managed to pull out some "dark and gritty" films that met with fan approval when the general perception is that DC kept trying and failing to achieve the same thing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

man suicide squad was a huge disappointment. i was watching the trailers and going "oh, well this looks like it might actually be a fun movie. i'll go see it!" boy howdy was that a letdown. the movie was largely incoherent and not even in a fun way and it had that terrible joker performance that was weirdly shoehorned in at every turn

will smith carried that movie, and viola davis was great as waller but barely in it

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timby posted:

This feels like fan-fiction from AICN.

Most people doing postmortems on Justice League are attempting to decipher Hollywood horseshit by adopting a fanboy mindset (Zack Snyder is an objectivist!! Everyone hates WB! And we have to get rid of the grimdark!), which is entirely the wrong kind of moronic. You need to think like an executive.

Justice League happened because, where Snyder was making a trilogy/tetralogy of Man Of Steel films that featured the emergence of an ambiguous Superman cult, WB executives began to increasingly view ‘Justice League’ as its own distinct IP. In other words, partway through the production, executives decided that this was not Man Of Steel 5, but the first of a series of thematically distinct Justice League films guest-starring Henry Cavill as Superman. Everything that happened stemmed from this decision.

You can easily tell nerds are doing BTS fanfiction when they talk about ‘universes’. There is no such thing as a universe., and executives are well aware of this. The notion of a universe is a product of advertisement; there is zero continuity between Captain America 1 and its sequel The Avengers. Steve Rogers is randomly given a folder that that says aliens exist and he’s like “i don’t believe in aliens i believe in GOD” and so he starts fighting aliens for half an hour. This is not the same narrative, or even really the same plot. These are two films featuring the same actor, that were successfully advertised in concert.

WB likewise never had a universe; it had only a series of films. The only real difference was that, instead of the Disney tactic of putting Avengers advertisements at the end of their films, WB actually made half of Dawn Of Justice‘s narrative about the decision to start a Superman cult. Suicide Squad was then a sequel about the failure of a rival cult, and Wonder Woman was a prequel about the moral ambiguity of the cult’s cofounder. Again, this is not a ‘universe’; these are sequels. The notion of a universe was created as a means of advertising sequels. In reality, there are 17 Iron Man films and 5 Man Of Steel films (or, even, 8 Dark Knight films) Executives understand this, while nerds do not.

The simple disastrous choice with Justice League - and this is where the executives were attempting to copy Disney - was to gradually eliminate narrative continuity from these sequels, retaining only a very rudimentary plot continuity. This would theoretically allow them to modify things on the fly - like changing Wonder Woman from an anticapitalist film to a liberal film about the power of love triumphing over a vague imperialism.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

K. Waste posted:

WB/DC: "THEY DON'T LIKE IT, DOUBLE DOWN, DOUBLE DOWN!!!"

Give the DCEU to Neil Breen.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I still think Katana's inclusion in the movie originated in a conversation like this. "Okay, so we're gonna have a powerful magic villain. Obviously they're not gonna, like, just shoot her. Do we have a magic character we can add to the Squad?"

"Well, we don't want to use Zatanna, Dr. Fate is too much like Dr. Strange, I don't.... oh hey, how about a superhero with a magic weapon?"

"Is there one of those?"

"poo poo yeah!" :sigh: at least her costume in the movie owns

I am glad that Katana is along for the helicopter ride and then does nothing else the entire time, just for that long, meandering, gravelly, monotone explanation about who katana is and how her sword works. I'm sure somebody on youtube has edited that run on sentence into a 10 hour cut where you can't tell when it begins or ends. Just a cutcha in haf wid one sword stroke jus like cuttin a bananna, souls in the sword cut ya one stroke in half with the souls of her victims, just like that cuz she got my back and'll cutcha in half just like that with one sword stroke jus trap yer soul

it just wouldn't end and he just kept talking and god drat it was funny.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Serf posted:

man suicide squad was a huge disappointment. i was watching the trailers and going "oh, well this looks like it might actually be a fun movie. i'll go see it!" boy howdy was that a letdown. the movie was largely incoherent and not even in a fun way

It wasn't "incoherent". Please can we drop this unless you actually mean "I don't understand the movie, it makes no sense to me?" Pick another word as a hyperbole descriptor for "disjointed" because incoherent is a bad one, it makes y'all seem like you can't follow movies. It doesn't help your argument, is all I'm saying.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Thats the point boy-o, I didn't say my own opinons, I for sure am not an SS fan tho

Your literal post was "this guy is smart and all of you are stupid and don't understand film criticism unless it's (insert dumb meme about CD pseudo-philosophy)"

How in the hell am I projecting lmao

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Serf posted:

man suicide squad was a huge disappointment. i was watching the trailers and going "oh, well this looks like it might actually be a fun movie. i'll go see it!" boy howdy was that a letdown. the movie was largely incoherent and not even in a fun way and it had that terrible joker performance that was weirdly shoehorned in at every turn

will smith carried that movie, and viola davis was great as waller but barely in it

the joker feels shoehorned in because he only gets to play the role of the protagonist's significant other

every other drat batman property these days builds up the joker to be some quasi-mythical entity so it feels jarring when suicide squad shows him for all he really is: just another greasy gaudy pimp who's only important because of how he changed harley

the movie itself is a dud but there's still some small bits of interesting stuff in there

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I got it you guys! Instead of using "incoherent" you can use "confusing", as in "I don't understand why they put this image here" or "I don't understand why this scene follows this scene, it's confusing" instead of "the movie was incoherent" and the rest of us who followed it just fine wonder exactly wtf you're talking about.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok so Enchantress is powered by souls, right? And Katana has a sword that eats souls, right?

Yeah.

See where I'm going with this?

Yeah! Enchantress gets shot, by... A bullet!

EXACTLY!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

I am glad that Katana is along for the helicopter ride and then does nothing else the entire time, just for that long, meandering, gravelly, monotone explanation about who katana is and how her sword works. I'm sure somebody on youtube has edited that run on sentence into a 10 hour cut where you can't tell when it begins or ends. Just a cutcha in haf wid one sword stroke jus like cuttin a bananna, souls in the sword cut ya one stroke in half with the souls of her victims, just like that cuz she got my back and'll cutcha in half just like that with one sword stroke jus trap yer soul

it just wouldn't end and he just kept talking and god drat it was funny.

Katana is one of my favorite DC characters tho so I'm just glad she got included in something at all and got a new and more rad costume out of it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guy A. Person posted:

Thats the point boy-o, I didn't say my own opinons, I for sure am not an SS fan tho

Your literal post was "this guy is smart and all of you are stupid and don't understand film criticism unless it's (insert dumb meme about CD pseudo-philosophy)"

How in the hell am I projecting lmao
I never called the guy smart

Gorn Myson posted:

You think Dan Olsen sounds too smart?

This guy may have used the word "smart" but I sure as hell didn't. I used the phrase 'differing opinion' a few times I think, the idea of which seems to throw CD into a rage.

You should be celebrating other weirdos coming in here to share their opinions, and you should be able to discuss those opinions without discounting them due to the speakers physical attributes. Yes, I know that is an impossible ideal to strive for. Many of you will stumble. But in time, I hope you will follow me into the sun.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ok so Enchantress is powered by souls, right? And Katana has a sword that eats souls, right?

Yeah.

EXACTLY!
I think this post here kinda sums up Suicide Squad perfectly. It's like they had potentially neat ideas but refused to connect them in any way. Why the hell isn't the Soul Sword lady a bigger part?

EDIT: ohh wait, yeah, Harley DOES cut out her heart, but then the scene gets jumbled around and nobody is looking in a consistent direction every time the shot changes. That end fight got cut up HARD.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 4, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I got it you guys! Instead of using "incoherent" you can use "confusing", as in "I don't understand why they put this image here" or "I don't understand why this scene follows this scene, it's confusing" instead of "the movie was incoherent" and the rest of us who followed it just fine wonder exactly wtf you're talking about.

Alternative take: the film is incoherent for them, and not incoherent for you, because you're both acting on different perspectives of the same film.

If the movie fails to display coherent storytelling to a certain group of audience, then the movie fails to display coherent storytelling to that specific group of people

No clue why people feel a desire to get two steps away from "It takes a high IQ to watch BvS"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah.

EXACTLY!

Harley cut her heart out with Katana's magic sword and then Flagg crushes the heart, she wasn't shot

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

^ Ah c'mon, blowing up the steampunk mushroom cloud is thematically a big part of defeating Enchantress.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah.

EXACTLY!

suicide squad really delivers the goods with this stuff, and a little joss whedon-esque punching up would have really brought out the humour.

"We've got to stop Enchantress! She's destroying surveillance equipment and huge warships!"

Also, FoldableHuman, I've had your Suicide Squad video open in a tab for weeks now in the queue to be watched and opening/closing Chrome means I've seen you chug that bottle of cough syrup 30+ times. Stop drinking the drat cough syrup.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 4, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Neurolimal posted:

Alternative take: the film is incoherent for them, and not incoherent for you, because you're both acting on different perspectives of the same film.

If the movie fails to display coherent storytelling to a certain group of audience, then the movie fails to display coherent storytelling to that specific group of people

No clue why people feel a desire to get two steps away from "It takes a high IQ to watch BvS"

That's fine but "the film is incoherent" gives us nothing to work with or discuss, and honestly I feel it's a misuse of the term as if you asked them to tell you the plot they could do so. For comparison something like Upstream Color (a truly incoherent film, I had no idea what I watched at the end) vs Primer (I was confused for about half the running time but ultimately could have told you a basic summary of the film's plot).

Not that it matters I guess...

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

This guy may have used the word "smart" but I sure as hell didn't. I used the phrase 'differing opinion' a few times I think, the idea of which seems to throw CD into a rage.

As soon as you show this thread what actual critique looks like they run screaming back to sycophantic SMG-style first year film student analysis because they can't handle anything that requires reaction beyond "me too!!! this sounded smart and i think this now"
I was taking the piss you wally.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'd even go as far as to say that it's a three way fight between the comicbook shared cinematic universes of Marvel, DC and Fox's X-Meniverse. Fox had a few stumbles along the way (especially with Fantastic Four) but they gained a lot of ground recently with Logan and Deadpool.

Given how cheesy their other X-Men films have been it's kind've weird that Fox managed to pull out some "dark and gritty" films that met with fan approval when the general perception is that DC kept trying and failing to achieve the same thing.

Yeah that is interesting. I know that the people behind Deadpool practically had to pull the teeth from Fox's execs to get it made. But it was a relatively cheap movie for a blockbuster, and it created a viable line of business that Logan, and I suppose New Mutants can follow. It seems execs are naturally cautious and willing only to go with what worked before.

I think the X-men universe has not fully explored its potential as money makers, again, compared to Marvel tho. Might be a reason why them being bought by Disney is even being discussed.

It sucks that movies are so expensive these days (the ones that are sought by major film studios anyway) that sort of fearful thinking is the default tho.

e:

Serf posted:

Do you think Waller's characterization recovered from her murdering that whole troupe of employees tho? Honestly curious, never bothered to watch SS.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Neurolimal posted:

I'll ignore the bad faith in that last line and point out this is a plea on behalf of pure subjectivism--apparently coherence is like cold or beauty in that it ultimately rests on one's blahblahblah. Pushing the discussion back to "is discussion even possible?"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Harley cut her heart out with Katana's magic sword and then Flagg crushes the heart, she wasn't shot

Hell I may just be misremembering the whole thing, I watched it on a plane from Amsterdam. I remember Deadshot doing a slow motion impossible shot that responded the situation.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Shageletic posted:

Do you think Waller's characterization recovered from her murdering that whole troupe of employees tho? Honestly curious, never bothered to watch SS.

Waller is unambiguously the villain in Suicide Squad. That's why she's hanging out with Batman, the villain from Dawn of Justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Hell I may just be misremembering the whole thing, I watched it on a plane from Amsterdam. I remember Deadshot doing a slow motion impossible shot that responded the situation.

He shoots a brick of C4 they chuck into Enchantress's big magic generator glowy blob that's powering her big floaty cannon which is carving up all the military's bases and hardware in orbit and at sea. Then she's like "ah nuts you ruined my plan but I'll still get you" and the fight keeps going.... IIRC..? lol gettin exposed in this thread as a bad movie rememberer

• Locked thread