Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

i skipped all the SAM job quests from lvl 50-63 with no regrets. At least RDM has the catman job trainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derised
Jun 16, 2008

Hey, has anyone had any success transferring expansion licenses between Mac and PC? I recently got back into it and found out that I have a Mac license for Heavensword but I'm now on PC. I'd prefer to not buy another license if I can but I'm currently on day 2 of waiting for a word back from customer support and I'm starting to get a little anxious :ohdear:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Derised posted:

Hey, has anyone had any success transferring expansion licenses between Mac and PC?

I've never tried but as far as I know there's no way to do this.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

DizzyBum posted:

Fixed that for you :colbert:

Jokes on you. I spend all my seals on Merlwyb portraits.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Alder posted:

i skipped all the SAM job quests from lvl 50-63 with no regrets. At least RDM has the catman job trainer.

Was it just me or was the Level 60 RDM quest ridiculously hard?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Was it just me or was the Level 60 RDM quest ridiculously hard?

were you still wearing random leveling gear? I had a full set of upgraded shire and it was super easy.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Are there any good alternatives to ACT for damage meters? It's started bluescreening my computer when I steel cyclone seventeen mobs.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Griz posted:

were you still wearing random leveling gear? I had a full set of upgraded shire and it was super easy.

I was. I didn't have Shire stuff.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Are there any good alternatives to ACT for damage meters? It's started bluescreening my computer when I steel cyclone seventeen mobs.

You could disable all the actual parsing features in ACT (so it just dumps the combat log into a file somewhere) and upload to FFLogs after. I don't know of a better realtime alternative, though.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Kuvo posted:

One thing I forgot to put on that crafting guide: if your GC squadron is decently leveled one of the weekly lv 50 mission rewards is Squadron Engineering Manuals x5, which give +20% crafting xp for 2 hours.

edit: vvvv ya those are nice at lower levels but thats like 2 crafts at 60+

In 4.1 they added new top-level Squad missions that will give you 10 of the engineering manuals (or any of the other things they give out), but they've got higher stat caps. If you scroll down the list you can find the harder ones.

Also, Kuvo, your big post (very good info, btw) has a small mistake. CUL 37 is Steady Hand II and not Hasty Touch II.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

DizzyBum posted:

- Repair your own stuff
- Meld your own materia without paying NPC fees
- Class quests shower you in materia which can be melded or sold off for cash money, and they also have some good lore (50 ARM quest is pretty memorable)
- Easier to do the weekly Custom Deliveries at higher levels (you only need 1 class leveled for this)
- Some beast tribe quests require a crafter to complete them (also only needs 1 class)
- Help out friends and FC mates with lowbie HQ gear
- Achievements

-Make your own Glamour stuff.
-Make your own House Furniture
-Make your own Orchestrion Scrolls (Alc only)

Repairing is the big thing though. You will save hundreds of thousands of gil on buying dark matter instead of having to hit up NPC's to repair. Also you can do it anywhere! Anytime! (except in the Squadron Barracks.)

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Derised posted:

Hey, has anyone had any success transferring expansion licenses between Mac and PC? I recently got back into it and found out that I have a Mac license for Heavensword but I'm now on PC. I'd prefer to not buy another license if I can but I'm currently on day 2 of waiting for a word back from customer support and I'm starting to get a little anxious :ohdear:

I switched from PC to Mac and had to rebuy everything. I did get an extra free month through buying the Mac version of ARR. But yeah, unless they changed something recently you will have to buy everything again.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I switched from PC to Mac and had to rebuy everything. I did get an extra free month through buying the Mac version of ARR. But yeah, unless they changed something recently you will have to buy everything again.

Just like switching from PC to PS4 or viceversa. You need a license for each platform you want to play on, but one subscription works across all 3.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't know if materia retrieval requires crafting levels, but that's a pretty huge deal if so.

I don't believe it does. Or at least, it doesn't require max level and just high enough to repair said item. I've removed materia from 70 equipment, yet all my crafting classes are 60.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My crafters are all sub-30 and I can remove materia just fine from endgame gear.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Prim posted:

Few pages back but it looks like this didn't get answered fully -- you can float big non-tabletop items using the storage glitch. It only works along permanent items like walls, windows, doors, etc., but it allows for some neat combos. There's more info here:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...l=1#post4450644

I was able to add a ton of space to my apartment with a few troupe stages (keep in mind half of a piece of furniture will be in the wall, so you might need to use more items than you would placing it normally).

Relatedly, I recently learned about the breaking through walls with beds thing, and naturally began an exploratory voyage into the infinite black void that encapsulates my house, using porcelain vases as footholds

So in a sense, you actually have infinite space in every house/apartment, only caveat being only tabletop items can be placed out in the void (and all the existential dread I guess)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Troffen posted:

Relatedly, I recently learned about the breaking through walls with beds thing, and naturally began an exploratory voyage into the infinite black void that encapsulates my house, using porcelain vases as footholds

So in a sense, you actually have infinite space in every house/apartment, only caveat being only tabletop items can be placed out in the void (and all the existential dread I guess)

The spiral staircase is real. Navidson lives.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Troffen posted:

What happens if you fall into the void? Or can you?

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Leofish posted:

What happens if you fall into the void? Or can you?

Nah you can only walk where you've placed items, the rest is invisible walls.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

https://gfycat.com/CheerfulYearlyBluebreastedkookaburra

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Looks like someone got Resc-rewed right through their pants.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Was this recorded on a 144 fps rig or something? I don't understand how this looks so much more smooth than the actual game looks on my rig when I can run at 60+ FPS trivially. And watching video on the same monitor shouldn't actually look smoother than playing back video...

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I have a 970, and play on a 60hz monitor at 2050x1080 with everything turned up to max. IIRC it's about 80 fps on average. So I don't think that's it.

I suspect it's the video encoding giving it a smoother appearance. Either from the key/p frames, or due to some kind of hardware acceleration or enhancement on the video decoding end.

Probably someone else knows the exact reason.

Edit: here's a Reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/2b4uxc/eli5_why_does_60fps_video_look_smoother_than/

itskage fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 5, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Please tell me you utterly roasted that SCH in the chat afterwards.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Please tell me you commended that SCH afterwards.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Amazing.

Edit: Upon looking closer, I can't help but notice that the person who was rescued is a Dragoon and the Scholar made sure that he died with the other two. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 5, 2017

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

WE GO TOGETHER! :black101:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Anyone play on wi-fi? I've got a friend who's interested in the game, but they're worried their wi-fi won't be up to the task.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Why wouldn't it be?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Lizard Wizard posted:

Anyone play on wi-fi? I've got a friend who's interested in the game, but they're worried their wi-fi won't be up to the task.
I think someone mentioned it in this thread earlier, but after you install everything, FFXIV is sending/downloading very little data.

Also, he can just try the trial version for 14 days and see for him/herself.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not commendable if you die to the rescue too.
It's only commendable if you rescue someone, they die and you don't.

Also had one of the A12S WF'ers in my Ivalice party today, ~~ffxiv celebs~~

e: actually they got o4s too iirc

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 5, 2017

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

If they can watch youtube without any problems, they should also be able to play ffxiv. Hell, even if youtube stutters ffxiv might be fine, streaming's generally more intensive than anything an mmorpg does.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Fister Roboto posted:

They're not that great after 60. 100,000 XP is just a little over 2% of a level at 61, and less than 1% at 69.

oh

good thing I have no interest in taking my crafters past 60 so I don't have to play where's waldo with FC house mender.

I still think the 50% manuals are worth mentioning though, because the extra XP is no joke and at low levels they last forever.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 5, 2017

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I have a friend who plays via tethering to their mobile phone, and they've mentioned that the game is amazingly data efficient, so playing on wifi shouldn't be an issue.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Lizard Wizard posted:

I play on Wi-Fi with no issues, sine my router is downstairs and not up in my computer room cause wiring.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Was this recorded on a 144 fps rig or something? I don't understand how this looks so much more smooth than the actual game looks on my rig when I can run at 60+ FPS trivially. And watching video on the same monitor shouldn't actually look smoother than playing back video...

I get this feeling every time I'm watching game videos recorded at 60fps, but if I make a side by side comparison it feels samey. We're just super conditioned to lovely 24fps films I think. It's not like you could see >60fps on a 60Hz monitor in any case.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I feel like I get accustomed to 60FPS pretty quickly after watching it for a little bit, like during gameplay, but having a sudden 60FPS clip doesn't have that acclimation so it's like starting at zero. I stop noticing it on 60FPS streams after a while too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheHeadSage posted:

I have a friend who plays via tethering to their mobile phone, and they've mentioned that the game is amazingly data efficient, so playing on wifi shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, that's been my experience, too. I have terrible wi-fi with my current router, to the point that Guild Wars 2 was nearly unplayable until I went wired, but FFXIV was absolutely fine. I don't know why but the packet loss I was dealing with just didn't affect FFXIV that much.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In the old dx9 client during ARR, I'd get hilariously bad frame rates every time one of those purple boss lockout walls activated, or there was a dungeon entrance effect somewhere on the screen. Something about particle sprites rendering super badly, it was reported on their bug section as an issue people rarely had, both with nvidia and amd, but never fixed.

So every time I played content without any of those happening everything felt so smooth all the time. Now the game just runs at 60fps the entire time and that smoothness feeling is gone :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thundarr posted:

I'm looking for somebody on Aether datacenter interested in DPSing for a newbie Ult Coil group. My static has O4S on farm, but we're down one person and haven't had much luck with PF recruiting so far. We would want you to come along for savage clears on Tuesday evening if at all possible, and then we'll give Coil a shot on Thursday evening.

We have Teamspeak! (no I'm not exactly sure why they don't like using Discord for voice chat)

Still looking for somebody to join us for savage clears and starting out on Ult Coil! We'll be running savage this evening. Usually we start our clears at 6PM central, but tonight we may be an hour or two late??