Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Venom Soag posted:

STORM EAGLES! Of course!
:rip:

The Storm Eagle and Fire Raptor are the worst kits FW make. Go into them forewarned and ready for some rough builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
No. This is the worst model FW makes:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

No. This is the worst model FW makes:

Hahaha.

I wish my Fire Raptor had been that easy. :shepface:

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
If you boys want a hard FW kit you ain't got poo poo until you tried unbending a Helltalon from its initial pretzel shape and then line up three different wedge-shaped pieces that aren't supposed to go flush together :cmon:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Imagine 3 dreadclaws, glued together, shipped to your house straight from hell:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The only really problem I had with my Fire Raptor was a minor gap that I filled with GS and me being an idiot and forgetting to put the rear door on before putting the fuselage together.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Safety Factor posted:

:rip:

The Storm Eagle and Fire Raptor are the worst kits FW make. Go into them forewarned and ready for some rough builds.

They're not so bad. I built two recently and it wasn't easy, but it's not performing brain surgery with plastic cutlery like some people claim.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's lovely. How did you do the stone he's standing on?

Thanks guys. Base is extremely easy. The black stone is just basecoated black with a couple different drybrushings. The rubble is basecoated brown color, washed a couple times, and drybrushed similarly. It's a pretty uninspired base; but it matches the rest of my army!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

:toxx: complete! This guy has been sitting mostly completed on my desk for the last couple of months. I finally decided to buckle down and get him done

This somehow got lost on the last page. It's fantastic. The skin, cloak, and armor all look great. The blends on the cloak, in particular. However, I think the gold decorations could use another highlight pass. I'm talking about things like the small panels along the end of the cloak, the scarab at Magnus' right shoulder, etc.

JBP posted:

They're not so bad. I built two recently and it wasn't easy, but it's not performing brain surgery with plastic cutlery like some people claim.
Maybe mine was just a bad cast. :shrug: It was a complete nightmare. Nothing fit and I had to sand, bend, and gap fill. Tons of mold slippage to compensate for and one of the landing gear pods required a lot of modification to the frame for it to go on at the right angle. I set it aside for like two months at one point because it was that frustrating. I didn't contact FW about it because everything I'd heard about the kit indicated it was just that loving awful.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

This somehow got lost on the last page. It's fantastic. The skin, cloak, and armor all look great. The blends on the cloak, in particular. However, I think the gold decorations could use another highlight pass. I'm talking about things like the small panels along the end of the cloak, the scarab at Magnus' right shoulder, etc.

This is great feedback, thanks

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i would like to take this opportunity to point out that, when it was initially made, the dracosan mold apparently produced models that were impossible to assemble, and as a result i have two-and-a-half literally impossible to assemble tanks in a bin and apparently nobody besides me ever bought the things before they were fixed

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Very nice :toxx: posting. A Typhon and Magnus, somewhat underpowered LoW choices.

Edit: I’ve painted an underpowered LoW choice also:

All potential credit to ijyt really for showing how it’s done with knights. I’m gonna steal ideas from you forever now.

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 4, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Safety Factor posted:

Maybe mine was just a bad cast. :shrug: It was a complete nightmare. Nothing fit and I had to sand, bend, and gap fill. Tons of mold slippage to compensate for and one of the landing gear pods required a lot of modification to the frame for it to go on at the right angle. I set it aside for like two months at one point because it was that frustrating. I didn't contact FW about it because everything I'd heard about the kit indicated it was just that loving awful.

Oh, they are all bad casts, but that being said all I did with mine was dry fit, then heat with a hairdryer for lengthy periods making it all square as i went. I did have a moment where I nearly caved in the entire hull though. My gf thought I had hurt myself or something because all she could hear was me screaming "gently caress gently caress FUUUUUCK gently caress" from the other end of the house.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
MY GIRLFRIEND

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Very nice :toxx: posting. A Typhon and Magnus, somewhat underpowered LoW choices.

Edit: I’ve painted an underpowered LoW choice also:

All potential credit to ijyt really for showing how it’s done with knights. I’m gonna steal ideas from you forever now.

My Magnus would beat your robot in a fight

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
All finished toxxes at the end of the year should fight to see who would win :getin:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Hamshot posted:

All finished toxxes at the end of the year should fight to see who would win :getin:

Everyone bring your toxx to LVO and let hamshot throw them from the top of the Excalibur into the cold desert night.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Hamshot posted:

Who wins when a bunch of nerds beat the poo poo out of each other with chunks of resin? The audience.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I was being more of a smug poo poo over my warlord titan toxx, but both of these scenarios are also acceptable.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

:jerry:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have a girlfriend. Her name is The Warmaster

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I wasn't going to assume Panascope's gender

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Panascope's gender is Warmaster.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i would like to take this opportunity to point out that, when it was initially made, the dracosan mold apparently produced models that were impossible to assemble, and as a result i have two-and-a-half literally impossible to assemble tanks in a bin and apparently nobody besides me ever bought the things before they were fixed

I have built 4 Dracosans now and can confirm that you have to saw off about 1/2" of the model to get the bottom panel to fit correctly. Everything else is easy on that model though.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

In the spirit of keeping the 30k content up, here us a cell phone pic of my semi finished SW Arcus.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Stanyer89 posted:

In the spirit of keeping the 30k content up, here us a cell phone pic of my semi finished SW Arcus.

It not being the plasma turret option is always heartbreaking. :smith:

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

If the plasma one would of been as good as the Arcus but with x8 shots if it doesn't move at str 8 ap 2 w/ Cluster Warhead and Terminal Tracking the Arcus is hard to ignore.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Broken Record Talk posted:

Panascope's gender is Warmaster.

I self-identify as a resin miscast.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Stanyer89 posted:

I have built 4 Dracosans now and can confirm that you have to saw off about 1/2" of the model to get the bottom panel to fit correctly. Everything else is easy on that model though.

when did you buy them? they took them off the webstore for a while while they ostensibly fixed the master model, or whatever. did that just not actually get fixed?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I self-identify as a resin miscast.

I am more of a finecast self identifier honestly.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The plasma variant is so so so bad though! It really needed to be something more than a 6 shot, twin-linked, plasma gun with a not particularly useful gimmick mode.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Broken Record Talk posted:

The plasma variant is so so so bad though! It really needed to be something more than a 6 shot, twin-linked, plasma gun with a not particularly useful gimmick mode.

At least its not the 40k plasma variant, which didn't get a points drop in chapter approved so now costs exactly the same as a venator while being complete and utter trash.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Stanyer89 posted:

I am more of a finecast self identifier honestly.

Nah, you’re a member of the swoletariat

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Tactical Sexpionage Tourism
Some more questions:

a) Is there any reason to get FW cataphractii instead of GW ones? I was going to load them up with lightning claws which seems easier with the GW kit.

b) Does the storm eagle come with a flying base and if so, how well balanced is it?

c) how thoroughly are you meant to scrub the resin miniatures? I followed the instructions but to me they still look a little glossy, is that normal or should I give them another go over?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Venom Soag posted:

Some more questions:

a) Is there any reason to get FW cataphractii instead of GW ones? I was going to load them up with lightning claws which seems easier with the GW kit.

b) Does the storm eagle come with a flying base and if so, how well balanced is it?

c) how thoroughly are you meant to scrub the resin miniatures? I followed the instructions but to me they still look a little glossy, is that normal or should I give them another go over?

My fire raptor came with a flying base and feels reasonably balanced. I haven't been worried about it falling while using it.

My washing strategy is usually to dump them in a tupperware of dish soap + water for anywhere between an hour and 2 weeks (depends how long it takes me to have enough space to dry the parts). Pretty much just give them a wipe down with a toothbrush under running water after that, maybe 30 seconds for the biggest parts. Haven't had any issues with primer adhering. I've had more trouble with finecast.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Venom Soag posted:

Some more questions:

As much as it pains me to say this, Cataphractii are the wrong choice for Emperor's Children terminators. Not being able to sweep pretty much never matters, but EC is pretty much the only Legion where you need to keep that ability because it is one of the main benefits.

I am doing a squad of CombiBolter Lightning Claw Cataphractii myself because they look amazing, but know what you are getting into. Luckily playing cool mans is the most important thing.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Tactical Sexpionage Tourism

Lord_Hambrose posted:

As much as it pains me to say this, Cataphractii are the wrong choice for Emperor's Children terminators. Not being able to sweep pretty much never matters, but EC is pretty much the only Legion where you need to keep that ability because it is one of the main benefits.

I am doing a squad of CombiBolter Lightning Claw Cataphractii myself because they look amazing, but know what you are getting into. Luckily playing cool mans is the most important thing.

I know you’ll understand this, but I’m getting them because they LOOK better. And working out how to elevate and adequately use a sub-optimal troop type will just require the perfect strategy.

I’m kind of a gaming jobber anyway, I don’t play to win, I play to have fun and look good doing it.

But thank you both for the advice, super helpful! Still trying to pick through what I want in my list.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Venom Soag posted:

I know you’ll understand this, but I’m getting them because they LOOK better. And working out how to elevate and adequately use a sub-optimal troop type will just require the perfect strategy.

I’m kind of a gaming jobber anyway, I don’t play to win, I play to have fun and look good doing it.

But thank you both for the advice, super helpful! Still trying to pick through what I want in my list.

:perfect:

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

My storm eagle balances well but if you were worried about it you could easily drill some small magnets into the base and the model to stabilize it even more.

I prefer Plastics over resin because the plastic 99% of the time doesn’t have any flaws in quality or weird gates like the resin ones along with being readily available and cheap on eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
If anything I'm more worried about the flying stand snapping off its base.