Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Taggart by Tuesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the chief v2
Apr 15, 2010

Pandanaut posted:

Here’s the link - https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Bolt/Phil-Fulmer-has-narrowed-his-list-of-candidates-to-five-111733030

I am hoping Mel really is last on the list.

Honestly it’s not an awful group. All of those guys can recruit and have had success in the southeast. It sure could be a lot worse considering how badly things have gone. Every single one of them is at least better than Schiano.

We could have had Mike Leach over these bozos.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Morris being a candidate for that kind of job still seems incredibly premature

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Not impossible. Arkansas asked around about him last week.

Chris Pezman at Cal will be the likely replacement AD at Houston.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Noles can't get Taggart. I need them to pull a Tennessee and gently caress this up.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The AD wants him to keep the OC and DC.

If ASU fires Graham but wants to keep his coordinators, doesn't that suggest something kinda shady went/was going on with Graham?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

skaboomizzy posted:

If ASU fires Graham but wants to keep his coordinators, doesn't that suggest something kinda shady went/was going on with Graham?

Or that the stuff about taking ASU to the next level and revolutionizing the approach to college football is horseshit and he just wanted to give his friend/former client a job he wasn’t qualified for as a favor.

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .
Herm's press conference after he loses to UTSA is going to be glorious.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

MourningView posted:

Or that the stuff about taking ASU to the next level and revolutionizing the approach to college football is horseshit and he just wanted to give his friend/former client a job he wasn’t qualified for as a favor.

a very bizarre nepotism grift considering how jarringly public it is. You're supposed to keep it on the d/l when you're scamming your employer by hiring your buds to gently caress around.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MourningView posted:

Morris being a candidate for that kind of job still seems incredibly premature

I agree, it's weird for a major program to consider a guy who basically just went .500.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

I agree, it's weird for a major program to consider a guy who basically just went .500.

If I was an ASU alum or Arizona taxpayer I'd want that AD swinging from a lamppost

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Dango Bango posted:

My concern is based on the complete lack of any attempt at tackling by UCF in the games I've watched (most notably USF and Memphis). DBs especially. They would just throw themselves at the ball carrier -- no wrapping up or technique at all.
That one-handed UCF linebacker might be a better tackler than any Nebraska defender, though

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Apparently Fulmer is meeting with Petersen or has met with him already. Confirmed by multiple sources. Doesn’t really mean anything but it seems strange because I thought he already said he wasn’t interested during the Currie whirlwind. He also just got a new OC I thought.

Probably just one of those “new guy calls you listen” things but I thought it was interesting.

He’s also meeting or has met with Pruitt.

e: I probably should make it clear before Morningview and that one Washington fan go postal that I in no way believe that this means we’re getting him I just thought it was interesting that the meeting was happening.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

If only. My dream is for this to happen and for UH to hire Sonny Cumbie, like they should have done last year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Joey Freshwater posted:

e: I probably should make it clear before Morningview and that one Washington fan go postal that I in no way believe that this means we’re getting him I just thought it was interesting that the meeting was happening.

Don't worry the Seattle Times beat writer has me covered

https://twitter.com/A_Jude/status/937822312136523778

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Literally no one thinks he’d leave, they’re just reporting that there’s an interview. It’s not really something to get worked up over.

If I were a Washington fan I would be wondering why he’s taking interviews if he’s so locked in, though.

e: reading through that guys tweet history now I hope it happens just to witness the aneurism he’d have

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 5, 2017

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

If/when Taggart leaves, how good of a job is Oregon vis-a-vis other openings this carousel? Below UF, FSU, and A&M, but above ASU, Tenn, and Ark?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sent from my iPad posted:

If/when Taggart leaves, how good of a job is Oregon vis-a-vis other openings this carousel? Below UF, FSU, and A&M, but above ASU, Tenn, and Ark?

Probably depends on the coach with where it ranks relative to Tennessee, or at least would have before their current mess. Otherwise yeah

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Joey Freshwater posted:

Literally no one thinks he’d leave, they’re just reporting that there’s an interview. It’s not really something to get worked up over.

If I were a Washington fan I would be wondering why he’s taking interviews if he’s so locked in, though.

e: reading through that guys tweet history now I hope it happens just to witness the aneurism he’d have
It's not even an interview, it sounds like it's just "Tennessee wants Chris Petersen"

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It's not even an interview, it sounds like it's just "Tennessee wants Chris Petersen"

If it were just that I wouldnt have posted it because no poo poo.

https://twitter.com/JohnDBrice1/status/937784340548866048?s=17

From article:

quote:

Per sources with direct knowledge of the proceedings, Fulmer’s next round of talks is set to include, but not be limited to, Washington’s Chris Petersen and Alabama defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt.

He clarified when asked:

https://twitter.com/JohnDBrice1/status/937806944940822530?s=17

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Wonder why Petersen would meet with Fulmer if he wasn’t interested. Seems a little curious. In Phil We Trust.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Make some insane Jimbo-esque demand and see what happens

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Can I ask a dumb Taggart question? Is Oregon not considered a good destination after their recent success? I thought they had some good Nike money and are still riding a drat good decade or so minus an off year here or there.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Chump Farts posted:

Can I ask a dumb Taggart question? Is Oregon not considered a good destination after their recent success? I thought they had some good Nike money and are still riding a drat good decade or so minus an off year here or there.
Oregon's a pretty drat good job.

Taggart is from Florida and reportedly grew up an FSU fan, so it has a different draw for him than it might otherwise.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

If it were just that I wouldnt have posted it because no poo poo.

https://twitter.com/JohnDBrice1/status/937784340548866048?s=17

This whole story keeps getting more amazing

quote:

Moreover, per sources, UT has initiated the process to dispatch Currie with cause on the heels of insubordination claims. Among the most egregious of the claims, per multiple sources including some in the legal community and on the Tennessee campus, when urged to return home last week as the search dissolved into a national punchline, Currie instead opted to utilize the private aircraft of a Kansas State booster to continue trying to find Butch Jones’ replacement.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
https://twitter.com/Marcel_LJ/status/937844053126930437

:unsmith: Just a lil longer Brent...

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Am I misremembering or did Venables used to be DC for OU and we had at least one poster here who absolutely loathed him?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

fast cars loose anus posted:

This whole story keeps getting more amazing

By most accounts Currie went rouge trying to sign Leach to save his own rear end. I think he thought if he came back with a deal they would forgive everything.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Chump Farts posted:

Even if it was an equal program to FSU right now, which is debatable, it’s gotta be a lot harder to recruit at Oregon. I don’t even mean in terms of it being a hard sell to get guys to commit to coming to Eugene, I mean logistically you just have to travel further to recruit out west unless you’re one of the two LA schools.

FSU can pretty much recruit a 500 mile radius which would take them as far as Miami and New Orleans.

500 miles from Eugene won’t even get you to Oakland.

There’s more to it than that, including the fact that it’s gonna be a lot harder to recruit in PAC 12 country with Chip Kelly in Westwood, but that begins to explain it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s already been said but I hope some one completely tells the whole story one day because it would make an excellent 30 for 30

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chump Farts posted:

It’s a good one, but FSU has one of the highest ceilings of any job in the country, and as mentioned Taggart is a Florida guy with a ton of recruiting connections down there. There’s probably only a tiny handful of jobs that he’d leave Oregon for, but unfortunately for them this is probably one of them

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 5, 2017

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I think what TAMU did was a good template for Tennessee. Pay a huge disgusting guaranteed cashmoney chunk to a proven coach to take a 'downgrade' or lateral move to rebuild their program rather than trying to strike gold with a coordinator or g6 guy.

Wrt to Taggart I think I read that his father died and his mom is living by herself in Florida so that could be even more motivation for him.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

tactlessbastard posted:

Am I misremembering or did Venables used to be DC for OU and we had at least one poster here who absolutely loathed him?
I don't know if there was a poster that loathed him but yeah, he used to be OU's DC

EDIT: He left when Mike Stoops was returning to be DC, which, fine, he's pretty good at, but letting Venables go because your brother flamed out at Arizona is :laffo:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I thought Petersen was a West Coast lifer. Did his son get better or did Petersen suddenly realize there are amazing hospitals east of the Rockies?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Crotch Bat posted:

I thought Petersen was a West Coast lifer. Did his son get better or did Petersen suddenly realize there are amazing hospitals east of the Rockies?
He's a west coast lifer and has been insanely careful about jobs, if he takes the Tennessee job I'd be loving shocked.

He interviewed for a bunch of jobs all over the place, IIRC, while at Boise, but he only took the Washington one. It's entirely possible he just wants to hear their pitch, even if he's not really all that interested in the position at the end of the day. I've interviewed for jobs that I wasn't super interested in just in case something stuck out to me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
iirc he was extremely interested in the USC job but they hired Sark instead lol

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MourningView posted:

:laffo: that's amazing, how are you so insular that you offer the job to Sark instead of Chris Petersen

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Sark bouncing for USC while Dubs upgraded to Petersen was one of the most hilarious coaching search fails of all time.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Sark bouncing for USC while Dubs upgraded to Petersen was one of the most hilarious pre-2017 coaching search fails of all time.

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

MourningView posted:

His resume is so spectacularly weak, especially compared to the guy who just got fired that I really can't interpret this move any other way. I started attending ASU in 2001 (beginning of the Dirk Koetter era) and have had season tickets (student section then grown up sections) since. I figured I'd do that forever. I don't think that I'll renew them this time because I can't accept that Anderson sabotaged the program to hire his buddy. It's so loving lame.

At least we suddenly appear to have a mens basketball team. The Bobby Hurley hire is looking much better.

• Locked thread