Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i bet its strong man

Strong Man coming back from whatever crazy PED adventures he's been on is always a good thing. Get Strong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I wish that Chuck was still doing the 24/7 Hardcore Championship because we probably would have gotten an Okada run by now

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

off day today. tomorrow's two league matches are:

Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano [6] vs. Best Friends [8]
Michael Elgin and Jeff Cobb [6] vs. Guerrilas of Destiny [8]

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

rovert posted:

I heard Sami Callihan has serious heat touring with New Japan.

They told him to stop kissing opponents. But he has refused to.

They want him to be serious, evil and aggressive but he’s being a goofball.

In Japan the unforgivable sin is disobedience. Same when it comes down to the New Japan office.

I've no idea what is thought of his spitting.

Is this why he's taking pins from Chase Owens now or have NJPW suddenly got high on Chase?

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
wait, if he's supposed to be evil as poo poo, why is he teamed with juice?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

wait, if he's supposed to be evil as poo poo, why is he teamed with juice?

Juice is actually a bad man watch him in CMLL.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Kemonito started it

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We get one of those BR to open up the Dome Show this year, right?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

We get one of those BR to open up the Dome Show this year, right?

Yep, I think it's the only match on the pre-show

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think I'm more exciting about the junior title match being a 4 way than if it were a singles match. Those 4 doing crazy poo poo for 15 minutes is going to be fun and very different from everything else on the card.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chris James 2 posted:

Yep, I think it's the only match on the pre-show

As long as we get to watch it I’m fine with that. Those matches are a bunch of fun depending on what guests they get to come in. Also the pin spots are pretty good too.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

New Japan basically streams the 48 hours before the show; they have a festival sort of thing in the Dome the night before where celebrity fans show up and talk about what they're excited about, some wrestlers cut last minute promos, just random small stuff that I don't think gets archived at all. The day of the show they basically have a single camera running as the crew builds the stage and people start funneling in, and then the Rumble starts, they begin actually recording for the archive, normal handheld cameras roll, the rest of the Dome fills up, the broadcast goes black and the show proper starts like half an hour later with what's normally the junior tag title match, although for 11 they used the opener to run a Tiger Mask W promotional match.

Generally the rumble is also where the "ambassador" for the show also shows up, which is usually an idol (like this year it's Jurina, a former AKB48 member), because Jado's a creepy old man and he's always in the Rumble and they tend to come out with him.

And sometimes Doraemon shows up to promote a movie between the Rumble and the actual show. That was a weird moment a couple years ago.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah I recall seeing the ring and venue setup one year. It was neat although I’d admit if I could have seen it as a time lapse one I really would have liked it.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Just scheduled the first week of January off work & now I can watch WK. I'm really hyped!

Is there anything worth catching up on from the WTL shows? Any standout matches?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm hoping they do a giant Doraemon dance number again, because I was there live last time and I didn't have a loving clue what was going on but it absolutely ruled.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Jerusalem posted:

I'm hoping they do a giant Doraemon dance number again, because I was there live last time and I didn't have a loving clue what was going on but it absolutely ruled.

i am so jealous that you got to see doraemon AND that weird tiger mask anime match
there better be something that weird this year

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tekken 7 sponsors tag league maybe we get a real life Akuma vs Geese Howard match!

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I’ve completely fallen off the tag League due to work - am I better off following a team or two? Or should I just seek out the the good handful?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

you're better off just tuning in the the finals

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Best friends vs Cobb and Elgin is worth watching.

Is the January 3rd event worth getting tickets for? I'll be in that area for the stardom show anyway.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the show before the dome? i think its usually a press conference which will probably feature some funny promos and a lot of random segments where they invite sponsors and idols in the ring and talk to them for a long time. then at the end they might have like two or three matches? maybe with debuting young lions?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

the show before the dome? i think its usually a press conference which will probably feature some funny promos and a lot of random segments where they invite sponsors and idols in the ring and talk to them for a long time. then at the end they might have like two or three matches? maybe with debuting young lions?

cool, cool, it sounds like it could be worth ¥2000, and it's one stop away from Shinkiba 1st Ring. I'll check it out.

It's 6 hours long though, so it I skip the last half hour to get to the show, am I hanging around for the shite parts and missing something cool at the end?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think they do the matches at the very end if they structure it the way they have for the last few years. if they do an angle like naito attacks omega during the press conference it would probably be before that

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe Elgin will wear an ill-fitting suit again

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Has the Strong Style Evolved on sale been announced yet? What’s the best way to keep informed, I’ve decided I’d much rather go see NJPW than do Supercard/Wrestlemania

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I’ve completely fallen off the tag League due to work - am I better off following a team or two? Or should I just seek out the the good handful?

Most of the first show was good (Nov 18), and the top half of the other full-production show was as well (Nov 30).

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
http://twitter.com/atomic_elbow/status/938109412383887360

http://twitter.com/atomic_elbow/status/938117029231546368

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
lmao well with the whole elgin breakdown/exposure going on twitter right now part of it involves Elgin saying he hates teaming with Cobb because he rather hang out with war machine than his sponsors & won't follow his lead in the tag matches. That and he claims he's is the 2nd biggest gaijin star in NJPW next to Omega and all other gaijins look to him for advice and Omega for advice.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

lmao well with the whole elgin breakdown/exposure going on twitter right now part of it involves Elgin saying he hates teaming with Cobb because he rather hang out with war machine than his sponsors & won't follow his lead in the tag matches. That and he claims he's is the 2nd biggest gaijin star in NJPW next to Omega and all other gaijins look to him for advice and Omega for advice.

The part about being second biggest behind Omega is true.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

i mean, who would be bigger, the Bucks? Bucks are light heavyweight tag guys, which is about as low on the New Japan totem pole as it gets for non-Young Lions.

the only person i could see an argument for is juice, and that's a really tough one to make

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

He's not Juice Robinson, also in the real hierarchy the one gaijin you'd probably want to go for advice is Rocky

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Bucks are undoubtedly bigger stars outside of NJPW but Elgin is positioned as a bigger deal in New Japan

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

wait, never mind BIGMIKE is wrong

he's not Bad Luck Fale

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

He's not Juice Robinson, also in the real hierarchy the one gaijin you'd probably want to go for advice is Rocky

Yeah and Juice definitely isn't as big of a deal yet.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

it only feels like mike isn't a big deal because they've been gradually depushing him and cycling him out because his contract is up but he could credibly work a title match with a big win and a one month build

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
He's in the weird spot where he's a pretty big guy, but could stand to put on ~200 pounds and really dominate. Don't know why he's so scared of taking the next step.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He's also good but he's not -that- good. I wouldn't be all that sad if he just disappeared. Not like I would if Omega or Juice did. He's just kind of boring

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
He says he's never had a bad match

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
juice is better than big mike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I don’t think juice has had a match as good as either of Mike’s G1 matches with Okada or Omega

• Locked thread