Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

One_Wing posted:

I’m surprised tournaments aren’t trying more things to balance things like that up. Handing extra CP to non codex armies would seem like a really obvious thing to at least trial.
Wouldn't really help because lack of strategems to use that CP is one of the obvious issues.

Adepticons team tournament is giving objective secured to index armies, which is something at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Nah this is dumb. 'You don't get to play until your dex is released' is a bad way to approach things and is why GW have tried to close the gap with the Chapter Approved bits and pieces. It's obvious that index armies will be at a disadvantage because they have fewer options, but they should be (and are) trying to at least keep them viable.

It's unreasonable for people to expect their index armies to be as good as codex armies, specifically because codex armies have stratagems. I didn't say "you don't get to play." You just don't have to play in the super-competitive tournament scene. You know you're hamstringed going into it - people acting surprised or getting angry about it is absurd. CA helps to stem the tide a bit before every army has a codex, but i'm betting this is going to lead to even further complaints because they don't go far enough.

People can play in either friendlies, narrative or non-tournament matched games before then.

The goal is for everything to be balanced once everything is on the same playing field. Expecting it to be totally balanced before getting there is silly.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Wouldn't really help because lack of strategems to use that CP is one of the obvious issues.

Adepticons team tournament is giving objective secured to index armies, which is something at least.

Yeah, appreciate it’s not great, but more re-rolls are always good.

Chapter Approved gives all BF armies ObSec anyway.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Broken Record Talk posted:

More than heavily implied; it's flat out confirmed. One if the core threads in Fear to Tread is the Legion's struggle with the Red Thirst.

Horus finds out about it, but promises Sanguinius that he will keep it a secret to protect him, only to later use it to lure the entire legion into a trap. Horus tells Sanguinius that he thinks he's found a cure, but it's far away, in the Signus Cluster, so Sanguinius mounts up with the boys, and arrives to find the system completely consumed by demons, who want to turn Sanguinius and the legion.

Thanks for confirming, I hadn't read that book, so I didn't want to say 100% that it is covered in the HH.

In other words: the Thirst is a feature, not a bug. The Rage, is a bug though.

Liquid Communism posted:

Probably won't be an issue any time soon, anyway. IIRC for most of them, becoming Wulfen isn't something that happens until late in their careers anyway, as the Canis Helix changes are progressive.

It has been 100 years or so by now, might start showing up a bit, but probably not a *serious* issue until much later, yeah.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My friends just pitched in and bought me the Tyranid starter set, a box of Genestealers, and a box of Gargoyles. So I guess I'm in!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BJPaskoff posted:

My friends just pitched in and bought me the Tyranid starter set, a box of Genestealers, and a box of Gargoyles. So I guess I'm in!

Welcome!

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

One_Wing posted:

My awesome wife has been painting up my kits of the same stuff. Primed and then painted with dirt cheap acrylic from hobbycraft:

Ruin sector ruins (note handy 8th ed cover compliant modelled footprint):

Ruin sector shipping containers:

The fortified power station kit (literal working sliding doors not yet fitted seriously this kit is incredible):

Other as of yet unpainted stuff visible in the background. I cannot stress enough how great this stuff is.

poo poo, I have a hard enough time getting my wife to paint her models, let alone shared scenery. What's the secret?

BJPaskoff posted:

Yeeeessss, eat the bipeds :cthulhu:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

BJPaskoff posted:

One of us, one of us...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

One_Wing posted:

Painting advice thread - I use “the fang” as a colour on the more recessed parts of the armour for my guardians etc., and have acquired a can of it in spray form to help speed up painting. Should I be priming with chaos black first, or can the fang be my primer layer?

I prime my SWs with The Fang and don't have issues.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Best ever.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Why can’t I ever let something just *be* as it is without needing to convert it?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I dunno. I kind of want to steal the idea to make an Ork buggy

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
deffo into the Land Rover, whose STC was found by Rover, Mr. Land's faithful dog companion.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Floppychop posted:

I dunno. I kind of want to steal the idea to make an Ork buggy

Everyone's friend Russia makes cheapo buggies for like six bucks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hunter-reconnaissance-warbuggy-by-Tehnolog-from-Robogear-line-Halo/142256677924

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LordAba posted:

Best ever.

I don't understand this. I thought a mortal wound is literally just "take a wound, no saves allowed (unless a rule allows a roll)". So basically it's just a 50% chance to lose two wounds, and for it you get a bunch of stat increases?

Seems like a pretty good deal for some high wound, high damage dudes. Not sure how any character wouldn't survive.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Boon posted:

I don't understand this. I thought a mortal wound is literally just "take a wound, no saves allowed (unless a rule allows a roll)". So basically it's just a 50% chance to lose two wounds, and for it you get a bunch of stat increases?

Seems like a pretty good deal for some high wound, high damage dudes. Not sure how any character wouldn't survive.

I don't think it's meant to kill them since characters have multiple wounds. It's a ritual battle so they just nick each other.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Proud of these, but hate photos because they amplify all the flaws for me.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

That looks sick but with colors like those maybe try getting a shot without such intense flash

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Hey can anyone with an Ork Kill Tank let me know how large it is (either in comparison to an infantry model or exact measurements)? I'm trying to kitbash one together with some spare stuff I bought and wanna make sure it's not undersized compared to the real thing.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo these things have ~options~. What should I set the dudes in the Tyranid starter box up with? Like I don't know if I should give my Genestealers pointy claws or grabby hands.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

DO NOT stray from the rest of this link but this is usable as a general introduction to your units and upgrades

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Tyranids(8E)

1d4chan comes from 4chan /tg/ and the rest of the site is full of nerd humor of the worst caliber and/or rape jokes but the tactics pages are surprisingly comprehensive and usable

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Boon posted:

Yeah, it rules. Especially since I don't see why you couldn't just have an apothecary patch homeboy up during the game.

The only reason I wouldn't use this thing every drat game is because I'd have to paint up some Space Wolves first - I'll gladly blow a CP and take a 50/50 shot at eating a wound in exchange for making a chaplain or Azrael/Belial just that much more of a CC beatstick. On the SW side of it, you could put it on scouts, and who cares if one of them eats it (though I guess it's pretty hosed to make a scout fight Azrael), or do Wulfen, who won't die from it and could make use of the buff themselves.

This will for sure get used when I'm doing team games with ShadowDaesh, otherwise I'm not sure it's worth painting the models and whatever for it, I just love the goddamn fluff behind it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

BJPaskoff posted:

Oh poo poo these things have ~options~. What should I set the dudes in the Tyranid starter box up with? Like I don't know if I should give my Genestealers pointy claws or grabby hands.

One set of each per bug. You're also going to want to put the weird chin-testicles head on one in every four bugs.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

The shame of a scout putting a mortal would on Azrael is pretty high. What about a Lone Wolf? Guy with a death pledge who just keeps following Azrael around trying to pick a fight war zone to warzone.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ANAmal.net posted:

Yeah, it rules. Especially since I don't see why you couldn't just have an apothecary patch homeboy up during the game.

The only reason I wouldn't use this thing every drat game is because I'd have to paint up some Space Wolves first - I'll gladly blow a CP and take a 50/50 shot at eating a wound in exchange for making a chaplain or Azrael/Belial just that much more of a CC beatstick. On the SW side of it, you could put it on scouts, and who cares if one of them eats it (though I guess it's pretty hosed to make a scout fight Azrael), or do Wulfen, who won't die from it and could make use of the buff themselves.

This will for sure get used when I'm doing team games with ShadowDaesh, otherwise I'm not sure it's worth painting the models and whatever for it, I just love the goddamn fluff behind it.

Why would you not just have a SW character or Lone Wolf or something?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

You'd have to eat a CP to add a single HQ. Better to do a minimum cost patrol detachment.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

RagnarokAngel posted:

You'd have to eat a CP to add a single HQ. Better to do a minimum cost patrol detachment.

It's totally worth the CP for the hilarious optics of just having one really belligerent space wolf following the dark angels around picking fights with their leaders.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

nvm found it

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 5, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Space Marines don't use stubbers.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Honestly, I forgot Lone Wolves existed. :frogbon:

Karandras posted:

The shame of a scout putting a mortal would on Azrael is pretty high. What about a Lone Wolf? Guy with a death pledge who just keeps following Azrael around trying to pick a fight war zone to warzone.

Texmo posted:

It's totally worth the CP for the hilarious optics of just having one really belligerent space wolf following the dark angels around picking fights with their leaders.

This is hilarious, and cool as poo poo, which means it's definitely the way to go.

It's probably not worth making this cost 2CP vs just taking a patrol of Space Wolves, but gently caress if I'm gonna paint any more of those dudes than I have to, and the image of one angry fucker following the army around just to fight their general is too perfect.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 5, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BJPaskoff posted:

Good friends :cthulhu:

Get yourself some Gaunts! And eventually a 'fex or two. But that'll do for now :) Know what hive fleet / color scheme you like yet?

BJPaskoff posted:

Yeah ~options~ is a thing with GW minis so you can screw up before you've even started! :downs:

Luckily Tyranids are pretty good all around right now and 8th helped with balance across the board so there's not as many plain awful choices. Its more about tweaking your list to be better at killing this or better at killing that or balanced for both.

With a small size force like that not really any way to go wrong.

But Goose Willis suggestion of the 1d4chan page is a great way to get you primed on some of the strategy. Just make sure you heed his words and avoid clicking ANY links lol.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 5, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SpikeMcclane posted:

Proud of these, but hate photos because they amplify all the flaws for me.

gently caress yes vibrant tyranids! I feel like we're kindred spirits. What do you call em?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm a newbie to Nids too. Hivefleet Orochi says hi.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Trygons are so flippin great

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Deified Data posted:

I'm a newbie to Nids too. Hivefleet Orochi says hi.

Seeing the brand new start collecting boxes completely finished together like that makes me feel ashamed of my 10 gaunts I painted over four months.

Good job man.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Good friends :cthulhu:

Get yourself some Gaunts! And eventually a 'fex or two. But that'll do for now :) Know what hive fleet / color scheme you like yet?

Yeah ~options~ is a thing with GW minis so you can screw up before you've even started! :downs:

Luckily Tyranids are pretty good all around right now and 8th helped with balance across the board so there's not as many plain awful choices. Its more about tweaking your list to be better at killing this or better at killing that or balanced for both.

With a small size force like that not really any way to go wrong.

But Goose Willis suggestion of the 1d4chan page is a great way to get you primed on some of the strategy. Just make sure you heed his words and avoid clicking ANY links lol.

If I want balanced, is a pair of talons and a pair of claws on each one (plus one with a fancy ooze cannon or whatever it's called) good to go with? I think the Trygon is going to stay the basic Trygon and not a prime version or that weird maw creature. I love the way Gaunts look so I'll be picking those up ASAP. The whole thing started with me asking my friend to pick up that $8 box of Gaunts from his morning trip to The War Store's warehouse because I wanted to try various painting techniques on them, and he came back with the Start Collecting box and a box of Genestealers. I'm not looking forward to putting all the Genestealers together. My friend's already taken the Broodlord home to pin it to the weird shell it stands on because normal glue isn't going to hold that on worth a drat.

I don't know the hive fleet yet. I browsed the 1d4chan post and it sounds good but I don't know what I'll need until I actually play a game. My first few are going to be 500 points, so what's recommended? The closest thing to 40k I played was Bolt Action, and I liked being shooty and hard to kill, which is why Genestealers might not be the best for me, but we'll see - I have 500 points-ish now.

I don't like 40k lore really (sorry!) which is why if I was going to play it was going to be Tyranids. They don't care about a grimdark universe or gods or politics, they just want to eat things.

As for paint schemes, I don't know yet. I did a cool black and dark purple scheme with snow for my Shadespire undead, and I want to do some cool Snow Bugs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

LordAba posted:

Best ever.

Somebody please tell me the Dark Angels get a dread for Bjorn to spar before every game.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

moths posted:

Somebody please tell me the Dark Angels get a dread for Bjorn to spar before every game.

Keyword Infantry.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Newbie Tyranid guy, a little secret: 99% of 40k players can't tell Tyranid wargear apart by sight anyway. Still make an effort, but you're unlikely to have a problem if your stuff ends up being modelled slightly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

moths posted:

If it wasn't infantry only, I'd totally have Bjorn and a librarian Dread punch each other then go punch all the things.