Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You're acting like a prick. Pacing matters. You could cut the first 10 minutes of Once Upon A Time in the West down to 30 seconds and not lose an iota of plot but pacing matters, those long languid shots of the gang goofing off at the train station are not "redundant". Has nothing to do about spoonfeeding or what emotions the audience "should" have (LOL)

Wait...weren't you the person arguing a few pages back that no one was properly explaining the editing issues in SS and BvS and now advocating that the extended cut of BvS fixed the pacing? If not I apologize but, if so, you're contradicting yourself here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yaws posted:

Because I'm dumb and I found the theatrical cut confusing.

Also not throwing shade here but online people tend to exaggerate the heck out of how bad/good things are so "it was unwatchable, probably the worst movie I've ever seen" can really easily translate to "I thought some of the plot points didn't line up and was bored" and so some stuff fleshing things out might genuinely help.

I wouldn't recommend it to IRL friends or family who weren't interested but we're in the comic book movie megathread and I'm betting the average poster here pays to go see well over half the comic book movies that come out so saying "check out this different version some time you might like it" is pretty reasonable

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

FoldableHuman posted:

Harley cuts Enchantress open with Katana's sword, pulls the heart out, everyone runs around doing nothing for a solid 20 seconds, then Harley throws the C4 belt into the light pillar and Deadshot shoots it out of the air, knocking Enchantress down while her flying junk doughnut disintegrates. Boomerang finds the heart under a bench, Flagg rips it up, Moone breaks out of the mud cocoon, Waller shows up, everyone goes back to prison and no one anywhere in the epilogue even briefly acknowledges that Diablo is dead, despite the emotional metaphor of the film being "a dysfunctional family that learns to love each other."

Not to join in on the pile on broseph, but this is actually wrong. Harley cuts the heart out, Flagg hand Croc the explosive, Croc throws it. Harley tosses Deadshot her revolver and he makes the shot while having a vision of his daughter (put there by Enchantress). There is no "everyone runs around doing nothing for a solid 20 seconds" between heart rip and Croc toss, just Flagg telling Deadshot the hearts out and they can end it now, even thought Deadshot already knows this (I don't actually like this film, but I find it's badness fascinating).

Diablo died a few minutes earlier and the anger of the squad fighting Enchantress, as well as Harley saying "This is because you messed with my friends" as she rips the heart out ARE the reaction to Diablo's death.

Like I said, I don't think SS is a good film, but maybe watch it before criticizing? It's kind of like talking poo poo about Gladiator because you didn't think there were enough shots of wheatfields, like, what version did you watch?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Are you talking about the SWAT guy who says he didn't sign up for this?

"No more dead cops!"

"Things are worse than ever!"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

teagone posted:

Have you seen the Ultimate Edition of BvS? It's pretty good.

Yes. While I agree it makes the film better, it is too long for me. Everything after they save Martha just still drags and now the movie is longer.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Spacebump posted:

Yes. While I agree it makes the film better, it is too long for me. Everything after they save Martha just still drags and now the movie is longer.

How would you feel about a version that's roughly six minutes shorter and in black-and-white?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

K. Waste posted:

How would you feel about a version that's roughly six minutes shorter and in black-and-white?

Please don't toy with my emotions like this

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WampaLord posted:

"No more dead cops!"

God, almost everything with the Dent subplot was so ham-fistedly written.

Edit: What the gently caress happened to my avatar

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just got back from Justice League, ho hum. What a waste of Ciarran Hinds.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It wasn't "incoherent". Please can we drop this unless you actually mean "I don't understand the movie, it makes no sense to me?" Pick another word as a hyperbole descriptor for "disjointed" because incoherent is a bad one, it makes y'all seem like you can't follow movies. It doesn't help your argument, is all I'm saying.

But the plot of Suicide Squad IS incoherent. Waller puts together a team of bad guys to stop Superman level threats. Except all of them are jailed individually and never meet. They’re just in some sort of file. The only one with any real superpowers goes nuclear and Waller is trapped so she puts together the team to come rescue her from the other team member. That’s not even a story. She put together a super team to stop the problem caused by putting together a super team. It’s like some recursive algebra problem.

Here’s a story that makes sense: team gets assembled and sent on training mission where one team member goes nuts and blows the crap out of their captors, becomes Superman level threat. Now free to make their own choices, rogue squad heroically bands together to save the city.

You could probably edit this film together from what was left on the cutting room floor. It wouldn’t be hard.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nice fantasy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bad day posted:

But the plot of Suicide Squad IS incoherent. Waller puts together a team of bad guys to stop Superman level threats. Except all of them are jailed individually and never meet. They’re just in some sort of file. The only one with any real superpowers goes nuclear and Waller is trapped so she puts together the team to come rescue her from the other team member. That’s not even a story. She put together a super team to stop the problem caused by putting together a super team. It’s like some recursive algebra problem.

a government official sending a bunch of minority prisoners(and captain boomerang) to solve a problem that she herself caused in the first place is absolutely a story that makes sense, though

the execution of the story wasn't so hot but you're pointing out that the events of the movie are caused by waller's hubris and hypocrisy like it undermines the movie's narrative when really all it does is undermine her narrative

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

bad day posted:

But the plot of Suicide Squad IS incoherent. Waller puts together a team of bad guys to stop Superman level threats.

She actually doesn't, though I get missing this since Waller is constantly lying to people. Enchantress is for dealing with a future evil Superman (and also general intelligence work, like stealing Iran's military secrets), but she's a solo asset. The Skwad is a deniable black ops group, and Enchantress isn't part of it. That's why they're never officially ordered to take out Enchantress and are instead used to shoot their way through American citizens.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
This is what I mean - the ingredients of a story are there. I’m absolutely certain all the necessary pieces were shot. But they didn’t put it together in a way that makes sense. That’s why people rip it apart on YouTube. Technically it’s a movie. It was competently shot. I’m sure it works well dubbed into other languages.

Apparently there was enough shot to assemble an entire Joker & Harley movie. According to Leto anyway.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

bad day posted:

Here’s a story that makes sense: team gets assembled and sent on training mission where one team member goes nuts and blows the crap out of their captors, becomes Superman level threat. Now free to make their own choices, rogue squad heroically bands together to save the city.

You could probably edit this film together from what was left on the cutting room floor. It wouldn’t be hard.

The plot isn't incoherent. Waller is a bad person who lies and murders for her own ends. You can claim it isn't satisfying because she never gets her comeuppance and Batman agrees to protect her, because Batman sucks, but her character makes sense.

Waller is the villan, not Enchantress and she wins.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

bad day posted:

It was competently shot.

I feel like a lot of the action actually looks pretty lousy compared to David Ayer's usual work. I'm not saying individual shots are necessarily badly composed, but it doesn't have the same impact as Sabotage or Fury.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sir Kodiak posted:

I feel like a lot of the action actually looks pretty lousy compared to David Ayer's usual work. I'm not saying individual shots are necessarily badly composed, but it doesn't have the same impact as Sabotage or Fury.

I liked the Will Smith "cut and run" action scene. Evoked a proper "this is badass" reaction from me. That's the only thing I genuinely enjoyed from SS actually.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Burkion posted:

Please don't toy with my emotions like this

I'm not a tease, honey

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"if you seek his monument look around you" is an excellent counterpart to the way Dark Knight Rises ends (Batman getting a dumbassed statue in City Hall).

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"if you seek his monument look around you" is an excellent counterpart to the way Dark Knight Rises ends (Batman getting a dumbassed statue in City Hall).

Literally my favorite shot, especially with the candlelight vigil around it. loving NAILED it.

Edit: RIP Wally, another working man caught in the grinding gears of capitalism between Luthor and Wayne.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"if you seek his monument look around you"

This and Lois' "welcome to the planet" from Man of Steel are two of my favorite bits from Snyder's Superman movies. Small things that carry so much weight and impact. So good. Snyder owns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Stuff like this brings to mind Mapplethorpe, rather than Ayn Rand. Particularly that top shot, there's something very humorous about it.

Mecha Gojira posted:

Edit: RIP Wally, another working man caught in the grinding gears of capitalism between Luthor and Wayne.

The best cut in the movie is the invisible cut from Wally at his workbench to Wally at the memorial.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"if you seek his monument look around you"

*blasted hellscape as far as the eye can see*

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

bad day posted:

Others have pointed this out, but you’re just confused.

Part 1:

Waller enslaves a Superwoman to serve as an experimental weapon for the US government. This experiment is deemed successful, so Waller is cleared to create an army of weaker slaves. A handful of these slaves are pulled out of storage and sent into a disaster area on a makeshift rescue mission.

Part 2:

The slaves are confused and disoriented, but gradually realize that this is not a official mission. Waller is using them to cover up her involvement in the disaster: the Superwoman escaped and is causing havoc, brainwashing followers, transforming Earth into a hell-world.

Part 3:

Waller is captured by the Superwoman, and the slaves contemplate whether to just let the Superwoman win. The Superwoman herself even offers them a place beneath her, in her kingdom, but the slaves ultimately decide to ‘do the right thing’ and kill her. They are all sent back to jail, but they feel moderately better about themselves.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

This and Lois' "welcome to the planet" from Man of Steel are two of my favorite bits from Snyder's Superman movies. Small things that carry so much weight and impact. So good. Snyder owns.
That like is awesome combined with Superman’s theme.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Several pages late on this, but did Folding Guy really went with the "Snyder is an Objectivist" thing? Now I can't ever take his videos seriously.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

also i can't believe i'm actually praising a jai courtney role but anyone talking about the good parts of suicide squad and not mentioning captain boomerang is a dingus

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

The MSJ posted:

Several pages late on this, but did Folding Guy really went with the "Snyder is an Objectivist" thing? Now I can't ever take his videos seriously.

This is the most CineD post of all time.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I like the idea of Nolan stringing along WB pretending he cares about this poo poo while working in Interstellar and Dunkirk. Other than that I think folding guy explained why the editing is the way it is ( studio intereference etc) , but it hasn't explained why is it bad or not, I would appreciate the discussion as I can't tell good or extraordinary editing from mediocre.

TetsuoTW posted:

also i can't believe i'm actually praising a jai courtney role but anyone talking about the good parts of suicide squad and not mentioning captain boomerang is a dingus

Backing out of the fight while drinking a beer is pretty awesome, he should have dropped a "loving oath" somewhere for the true blood aussie experience.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 5, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'm not a huge Suicide Squad fan. I think it's okay, about on par with Wonder Woman. There's a lot of great stuff in it (the character work) and some really off stuff( I'm tired of big CGI sky-beams).

But the biggest issue I have is that a big chunk in the middle of the movie feels really samey and it drags. Someone mentioned in the JL thread (I think?) that the opening infodumps about the characters were supposed to e dispersed throughout the film more and that made a lot of sense to me. It would explain Slipknot not getting an intro, the Enchantress non-reveal and why certain character intros feel like daily life poo poo compared to flashback poo poo. I mean, I don't know if it would work better spread out like that, but it seems like it might.

Ultimately I think it's fine, it's not the mess some people say it is. Diablo and Croc were surprisingly dope, a movie actually utilized Jai Courtney well (which makes sense with Ayer's use of Sam Worthington in Sabotage) and for some reason Deadshot's arrest is very striking.

Ultimately they needed that Harley Quinn/Deadshot sex scene, though.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

porfiria posted:

This is the most CineD post of all time.

Seeing Man of Steel as objectivist tract is a fairly essential miss. Superman cries after he kills Zod.

hump day bitches! posted:

I like the idea of Nolan stringing along WB pretending he cares about this poo poo while working in Interstellar and Dunkirk. Other than that I think folding guy explained why the editing is the why it is ( studio intereference etc) the way it is , but it hasn't explained why is it bad or not, I would appreciate the discussion as I can't tell good or extraordinary editing from mediocre.

Nolan almost certainly did lose interest in making superhero films (as evidenced by the fact that he's stopped) but the idea that he was slacking off during TDKR, a film that made over a billion dollars, seems to be entirely fictional; TDKR was in cinemas by the time Nolan was involved with Interstellar, Man of Steel was written and filmed.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

josh04 posted:

Nolan almost certainly did lose interest in making superhero films (as evidenced by the fact that he's stopped) but the idea that he was slacking off during TDKR, a film that made over a billion dollars, seems to be entirely fictional; TDKR was in cinemas by the time Nolan was involved with Interstellar, Man of Steel was written and filmed.

That's less fun but more plausible.I just like the idea of the director halfassing it and making a billion of $$$$ out of sheer luck/talent.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The MSJ posted:

FoldingIdeas once concluded that MoS was a pro-military film because it depicted the military fighting things, while completely ignoring that the film explicitly blames the military-industrial complex for killing Krypton, the human military is helpless against the Kryptonians, and Superman smashes a drone right on their front lawn at the end.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The best joke in bvs is when wally goes home to find lex in his new chair and lex does the slow turn around. The very next scene, senator Hunter walks into her office where wally does the slow turn around to her, but he can't quite complete the circle and has to do an extra tap. Seriously brilliant.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yaws posted:

Because I'm dumb and I found the theatrical cut confusing.

Oh yeah I recall you really disliking the theatrical cut. Did you find the extended cut an improvement then?

Pirate Jet posted:

FoldingIdeas once concluded that MoS was a pro-military film because it depicted the military fighting things, while completely ignoring that the film explicitly blames the military-industrial complex for killing Krypton, the human military is helpless against the Kryptonians, and Superman smashes a drone right on their front lawn at the end.

MoS condemns the military as destructive and ultimately impotent which only manages to cause collateral damage to humans and make no difference whatsoever to the kryptonians. What's impressive is that it manages to do this while still showing that the military is composed of brave and honorable people. General Swanwick, that stabby guy with the knife, the scientist, they're all good, brave and likeable, it's just that the military is good at taking people who are individually good and making them collectively do bad stuff.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

McCloud posted:

that stabby guy with the knife

Motherfucking colonel Hardy who now lives in the phantom with Faora, going on adventures together, stabbing things and being generally badass.If only Zod had been less of an rear end in a top hat they could have been together on Earth

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Pirate Jet posted:

Not specific to FoldingIdeas, but I have noticed when people think things are bad they assume those things/people hold the properties of other things they think are bad.

For example, some think MoS is bad. They might also think fascism is bad. A = A, so therefore MoS is fascist. They might also (rightly) think Objectivism is bad, so MoS is Objectivist. MoS's actual content doesn't matter. If you watched the RedLetterMedia review of MoS, Superman destroying the drone is greeted with horror and terror. Standing up to drone warfare is seen as bad, as Superman being a dictator. Why would you align yourself WITH drones? Superman made them uncomfortable, so everything he does is sinister.

Likewise if you go to the Internet Media Personality thread in RGD, they assume everyone in CD who likes DC films must be a Gamergator. Why? Well DC films are bad, GG is bad. A = A. If you like DC films, you're a Gamergator, your actual opinions don't matter.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

josh04 posted:

Seeing Man of Steel as objectivist tract is a fairly essential miss. Superman cries after he kills Zod.

The main problem with TDKR is that it's a slave to it's themes, which is why the talia twist comes so absurdly late instead of being further used to break him at the half way point. The other problem is that the main super hero in the movie isn't Batman, it's the camera. Catwoman and he both come off screen to save someone almost every time.

Other than that, it's a well made film that still lands the trilogy in a more less decent state with an actual ending, even putting it above the godfather trilogy in overall quality consistency. I'd say the Batman 66 reference at the end was proof enough he was enjoying himself.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 5, 2017

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

McCloud posted:

MoS condemns the military as destructive and ultimately impotent which only manages to cause collateral damage to humans and make no difference whatsoever to the kryptonians. What's impressive is that it manages to do this while still showing that the military is composed of brave and honorable people. General Swanwick, that stabby guy with the knife, the scientist, they're all good, brave and likeable, it's just that the military is good at taking people who are individually good and making them collectively do bad stuff.
The American military isn't the only military represented in MoS. Zod is literally a general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

TetsuoTW posted:

The American military isn't the only military represented in MoS. Zod is literally a general.

With his own Cock ‘N Balls transport shuttle, even!

• Locked thread