Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

:laffo: that's amazing, how are you so insular that you offer the job to Sark instead of Chris Petersen

~~ PETE CARROLL DISCIPLE ~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

No the Tennessee poo poo is just loving sad.

And if they end up backing into a better coach than Jones, it could still end in all our disappointment.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Rumor is Mizzou's Coach Odom is looking at hiring Paul Rhoades for DC. All I can think about is this game and MV mocking his locker room speeches "I AM SO PROUD TO BE 4-8".

What are his tendencies as DC? I don't think it worked out to well for Arkansas this season but I didn't watch him that closely.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I really hope Tony Elliot comes to UCF. I think he's a great fit.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

:laffo: that's amazing, how are you so insular that you offer the job to Sark instead of Chris Petersen

He was also supposedly very interested in Oregon but we went with Helfrich :rolleyes:

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

An awkward thing about the Herm Edwards ordeal is that ASU returns a ton of players next year. From a roster standpoint, they should be better next year than they were this year. Dennis Erickson won a share of the Pac 10 with Dirk Koetter's players before fielding a poo poo team every year that followed. There's a good chance that Coach Soundbyte has a good enough year next year for some people to think "See! it worked!" before Manny Wilkins graduates and the wheels fall off.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

zimbomonkey posted:

I really hope Tony Elliot comes to UCF. I think he's a great fit.

And now you see why Clemson has Co-OCs...

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
An idle thought here: it's pretty common to see coordinators at high-powered programs leave for a less prestigious school to get their shot as head coach. What do you think is the cutoff for a typical coach with career ambitions to do this in reverse? When would coaches see leaving a head coach position to become coordinator at a perennial top-10 team as an upgrade? How big would the disparity between the two schools in question have to be?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Zoran posted:

An idle thought here: it's pretty common to see coordinators at high-powered programs leave for a less prestigious school to get their shot as head coach. What do you think is the cutoff for a typical coach with career ambitions to do this in reverse? When would coaches see leaving a head coach position to become coordinator at a perennial top-10 team as an upgrade? How big would the disparity between the two schools in question have to be?
Well, Joe Moorhead moved from Fordham HC to Penn State OC. Cal OC Beau Baldwin was previously the (ridiculously successful) HC at Eastern Washington. Both were FBS schools. You also had Rocky Long (current SDSU HC) move from being New Mexico HC to SDSU DC, but he resigned because he didn't think he could improve New Mexico anymore--possibly a different kind of situation.

I can't think of any instances other than Rocky Long where someone's moved from HC to coordinator within the FBS, but up from the FCS level it's not uncommon.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zoran posted:

When would coaches see leaving a head coach position to become coordinator at a perennial top-10 team as an upgrade? How big would the disparity between the two schools in question have to be?

I'm trying to think of guys who have done this. Hal Mumme went from McMurray to SMU's OC a few years ago, but a: Hal Mumme is a weird dude with an odd career and b: McMurray is D3. Also after one year at SMU he became the head coach of an NAIA school.

I'm sure there have been guys who have gone this route, I just thought to look up Mumme since I knew he'd done a lot of weird stuff in his career and I can't come up with anyone off the top of my head.

e: fb with good examples!

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zoran posted:

Does Muschamp from Florida to Auburn count?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

it is done

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FreakyMetalKid posted:

His resume is so spectacularly weak, especially compared to the guy who just got fired that I really can't interpret this move any other way. I started attending ASU in 2001 (beginning of the Dirk Koetter era) and have had season tickets (student section then grown up sections) since. I figured I'd do that forever. I don't think that I'll renew them this time because I can't accept that Anderson sabotaged the program to hire his buddy. It's so loving lame.

At least we suddenly appear to have a mens basketball team. The Bobby Hurley hire is looking much better.

I started at ASU in 2002 :hfive:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well, Joe Moorhead moved from Fordham HC to Penn State OC. Cal OC Beau Baldwin was previously the (ridiculously successful) HC at Eastern Washington. Both were FBS schools. You also had Rocky Long (current SDSU HC) move from being New Mexico HC to SDSU DC, but he resigned because he didn't think he could improve New Mexico anymore--possibly a different kind of situation.

I can't think of any instances other than Rocky Long where someone's moved from HC to coordinator within the FBS, but up from the FCS level it's not uncommon.

It's pretty rare at the FBS level. Coaches are huge egoists and largely would rather have the HC title than be at a big time program as a coordinator.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Pete Lembo was head coach at Ball State from 2011-15 (and two FCS schools prior to that), and even had a couple of good seasons that got him in the rumor mill for bigger jobs, then went 5-7 and 3-9 and bailed to be on DJ Durkin's staff at Maryland as associate head coach/special teams/tight ends.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Good morning, Jimbo Fisher

https://twitter.com/AJIsTheReal/status/937913342403981312

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Dude doesn't he know Reveille has a Patreon?! For $25 a month he can get full access to Reveille's private Snapchat.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

:chloe:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"Hey I have a question about your program"
"Sure, 5-star recruit, what can we tell you about? How you'll thrive in the new defensive scheme, how we plan to get you drafted?"
"....nah I wanna see Jimbo pet the dogge"

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
And since we're talking about A&M here, there's a 0000etc.0000.1% chance that's not genuine

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jimbo encountering more and more weirdos like this and realizing he made a huge mistake is such a funny thought.

"Coach! Coach! Can you sign my grode jar?!"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

this is amazing

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Ehud posted:

"Coach! Coach! Can you sign my grode jar?!"

lmao

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

GobiasIndustries posted:

"Hey I have a question about your program"
"Sure, 5-star recruit, what can we tell you about? How you'll thrive in the new defensive scheme, how we plan to get you drafted?"
"....nah I wanna see Jimbo pet the dogge"

*Jimbo pets the doge*

*Multi million dollar donation*

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I cant imagine someone posting that about Smokey.

Why are they so loving weird?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Don't doxx me

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/938054807796854787

https://twitter.com/UCFSports/status/938053781748674560

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

:ohdear: I get the feeling it's gonna be Elliott.

And now I'm hearing that Jeff Scott is interviewing at Southern Alabama... we may need a new OC(s)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I hope UCF really knocks it out of the park with this hire. That administration and (most of) the fan base have handled this whole Frost move to Nebraska with a poo poo load of class.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/938063217762463747

(Bloomgren is "Andrew Luck Director of Offense" at Stanford)

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Someone a bit off the radar you say...

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
So I guess Fulmer really must’ve been leaking everything because it’s boring as hell now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
is UCF seriously a better job than the low tier p5 jobs?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

It’s probably easier to win at and use as a springboard to a big job than a lot of them. I think Frost is a really good coach but I don’t think you’re going to go from 0-12 to 12-0 in two years at, like, Indiana

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

To some people? Yeah, probably. You're right in the middle of a recruiting hotbed, you're walking into a currently undefeated team, there isn't as much pressure to win (they were 0-12 two years ago), you play in an easier conference, and in 2 or 3 years could possibly get an even better job. I think it's really just a matter of getting paid now vs getting paid later. Money is the only thing that would separate UCF from, say, an Oregon State IMO.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Central Florida also has the biggest enrollment in the country. It has a great blend of recruiting opportunities, low pressure and solid support. I gotta imagine that''s really attractive for someone wanting to springboard to a bigger job.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Really hoping for Elliot but also open to a pleasant surprise.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Mahoning posted:

To some people? Yeah, probably. You're right in the middle of a recruiting hotbed, you're walking into a currently undefeated team, there isn't as much pressure to win (they were 0-12 two years ago), you play in an easier conference, and in 2 or 3 years could possibly get an even better job. I think it's really just a matter of getting paid now vs getting paid later. Money is the only thing that would separate UCF from, say, an Oregon State IMO.

UCF also isn't crazy poor so you'll get paid fairly well.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
And they're installing a lazy river on campus; what recruit ain't loving that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Relentlessboredomm posted:

UCF also isn't crazy poor so you'll get paid fairly well.

This year has been amazing for fundraisers too.

• Locked thread