Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

More to come but here are the ones that are up as of now.

https://www.instagram.com/bjorn_no_beard30k/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

That fuckin combi vet :jackbud:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm looking to recreate this specific paint scheme for a potential space wolf army:

It's darker than the one Saint Duncan shows in his video. It also looks to be the official Forge World scheme for the wolves. If there are any painting guides floating out there for it that people could point me to I'd appreciate it.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm looking to recreate this specific paint scheme for a potential space wolf army:

It's darker than the one Saint Duncan shows in his video. It also looks to be the official Forge World scheme for the wolves. If there are any painting guides floating out there for it that people could point me to I'd appreciate it.

If it helps mine is:

Mechanicus Standard Grey Rattle Can
Dawnstone
Nulin Oil
Dawnstone
Administratum Grey

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Email FW. They always reply with the deets.

Keep in mind there's multiple painters with their own schemes, so you might not get the right scheme... Though with the SW there's only one.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Size-wise, how does the (pretty awful, imo) 40k Guliliman compare to the (still not that great but much much better) 30k Guliliman?

If I've got to field one I'd just as soon play with the less-bad model but I'm concerned about MFAing.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Stanyer89 posted:

More to come but here are the ones that are up as of now.

https://www.instagram.com/bjorn_no_beard30k/

These look great, but have you considered using a dark background and not taking pictures on the set of The Mist?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Schadenboner posted:

Size-wise, how does the (pretty awful, imo) 40k Guliliman compare to the (still not that great but much much better) 30k Guliliman?

If I've got to field one I'd just as soon play with the less-bad model but I'm concerned about MFAing.

:getout:

30k Guilliman is a treasure.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Schadenboner posted:

They're not far off. You'd have to use the full display base or bash up a new gaming base. 30k Guilliman is only on a 40mm base.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Beerdeer posted:

They're not far off. You'd have to use the full display base or bash up a new gaming base. 30k Guilliman is only on a 40mm base.

TBH I kinda like the look of the display plinth. :shobon:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Venom Soag posted:

Some more questions:

a) Is there any reason to get FW cataphractii instead of GW ones? I was going to load them up with lightning claws which seems easier with the GW kit.

The resin models are more detailed, but this is a very minor thing and probably not worth the price difference unless your buying recasts.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Tactical Sexpionage Tourism

BULBASAUR posted:

The resin models are more detailed, but this is a very minor thing and probably not worth the price difference unless your buying recasts.

It’s now moot as I’ve fallen in love with a bought the plastic Tartaros kit, solving two problems at once :v:

I’m now *this* close to finalising what I want my army to be like and their backstory is coming together too.

For Maru Skara, do IC’s attached to units count towards the limit? I’m thinking of having the Legion Champion with a Phoenix power spear in with the palatine Blades, but not if it comes at the expense of a whole unit of something else.

Loading up on elites and fast attack choices so I can really play around with the Hidden Blade.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Nope, load up on Independent Characters. Smart usage of slots can get you more too. Say you give a Storm Eagle Outflank, the unit inside doesn’t need Outflank then.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

That face when your merkin just wont stop coming loose at the top.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

panascope posted:

Nope, load up on Independent Characters. Smart usage of slots can get you more too. Say you give a Storm Eagle Outflank, the unit inside doesn’t need Outflank then.

Hello, whole outflanking army!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Venom Soag posted:

Hello, whole outflanking army!

Well, don't forget that you need enough units on the table to survive until Turn 2!

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Broken Record Talk posted:

Well, don't forget that you need enough units on the table to survive until Turn 2!

Hubris.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Okay I’m getting mixed reports already, should marine sized models be on 32 mm or 25mm bases? Does it really matter? I ordered fancy bases for my fancy boys and have been chided.

edit: online consensus seems to be it doesn’t matter so I’m happy with 32mm, it looks better to me.

Venom Soag fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 6, 2017

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Venom Soag posted:

Okay I’m getting mixed reports already, should marine sized models be on 32 mm or 25mm bases? Does it really matter? I ordered fancy bases for my fancy boys and have been chided.

If you want to match the more recent releases, they shoukd be on 32mm. But most of the HH stuff was released on 25mm, so a lot of guys use all 25mm to keep their armies consistent.

I hate overhanging feet, and really enjoy making detailed bases, so all of mine are on 32mm.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
32mm is by far the better of the two.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

28mm seems fine until you see marines on 32mm

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Hell, I like larger bases so much, I think I even have some non-Terminator characters on 40mm bases.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

If you want to match the more recent releases, they shoukd be on 32mm. But most of the HH stuff was released on 25mm, so a lot of guys use all 25mm to keep their armies consistent.
Maybe for the resin infantry, but the plastics have all been on 32mm.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Safety Factor posted:

Maybe for the resin infantry, but the plastics have all been on 32mm.

Yeah, I meant the overall HH stuff, but you're right, I probably should have noted that.

32mm+ forever! :orks101:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

28mm seems fine until you see marines on 32mm

It's true. I didn't want to rebase my boiz, but I'm doing it 'cause it looks better when you see it in person

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

32mm has so much more skull real estate available too! Always a Warhammer concern.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

32mm has so much more skull real estate available too! Always a Warhammer concern.

And also matches the scale of other things I am stuck with in life...

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

In the spirit of me trying to whore myself and to keep the thread alive please see my badly painted wolf space mans.

https://www.instagram.com/bjorn_no_beard30k/?hl=en

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

There is an old Space Wolf Saga that before descending into the Eye of Terror Russ was heard to howl out "Like and Subscribe! AWUUUUU!"

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I didnt know Gary Busy was a Space Wolf.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like your space wolves they aren't badly painted awu.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So if I wanted to build Space Wolves for 40k (after I finish my 40k Death Guard) how much of it would carry over into 30k? I appreciate a lot of things exist in one that don't in the other but how much of the army's core is lost in the jump. I would of course be painting them in Heresy colors and mixing Space Wolf and 30k kits to make them as visually consistent as possible.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Post the nuts.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Space Awuus are a lot less wolfy in 30k. They also don't ride each other or have weapons from santa's weapons workshop. If you stick to older patterns of marines, terminators, dreadnoughts, and tanks you should be able to use them in both. You'll have an easy time taking 30k stuff into 40k, but not the other way around.

Dreadwroth posted:

I didnt know Gary Busy was a Space Wolf.

Poor guy. If I was suddenly missing my finger I'd be screaming too

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I finally got to see the 30k Sisters of Silence list, which I had assumed paralleled the 40k one.

What the heck, there is barely any overlap and the 30k ones have all kinds of rad beastmistresses and HQ choices, and the grav-submarines instead of Rhinos. Is there any fluff reason they forgot how to shoot boltpistols and train CYBERJACKALS?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Because 30k is cool and good?

Sisters of silence own. That hovering dune themed transport :swoon:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

AnEdgelord posted:

So if I wanted to build Space Wolves for 40k (after I finish my 40k Death Guard) how much of it would carry over into 30k? I appreciate a lot of things exist in one that don't in the other but how much of the army's core is lost in the jump. I would of course be painting them in Heresy colors and mixing Space Wolf and 30k kits to make them as visually consistent as possible.

The core of the 30k army is going to be Grey Slayers; a bunch of power armoured Marines on foot with a mix of Bolters, Bolt Pistols, Chainswords, Power Weapons, and Combat Shields. Their big advantage is that they can run and charge (or shoot) in the same turn, plus take a bunch of Power Weapons, so you're likely going to want ones that haven't wasted their weapon choice on a Bolter.

Unfortunately for you, Space Wolves are one of the only 30k Marine armies that don't have a core of Tactical Marines and/or Assault Marines.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The core of the 30k army is going to be Grey Slayers; a bunch of power armoured Marines on foot with a mix of Bolters, Bolt Pistols, Chainswords, Power Weapons, and Combat Shields. Their big advantage is that they can run and charge (or shoot) in the same turn, plus take a bunch of Power Weapons, so you're likely going to want ones that haven't wasted their weapon choice on a Bolter.

Unfortunately for you, Space Wolves are one of the only 30k Marine armies that don't have a core of Tactical Marines and/or Assault Marines.

Isn't that basically the same thing as Grey Hunters? Seems like combining A Space Wolves Pack box and a Mark IV Power armor box would be able to effectively create those even before I start thinking about forge world purchases.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Isn't that basically the same thing as Grey Hunters? Seems like combining A Space Wolves Pack box and a Mark IV Power armor box would be able to effectively create those even before I start thinking about forge world purchases.

Yes this is what I have done. I have two boxes of grey hunters 3 boxes of inferno mkIII marines, 2 boxes of of calth mk IV and some spellcrow bits as well.

Very easy to convert, I especially like using the 40k bare heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Played a game tonight!

List:
2500 Knight
Legiones Astartes

Forge Lord: combi-weapon; Terranic greatsword; rad grenades; boarding shield; Cyber-familiar 145

10 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; Calibanite war blade); 9 Tactical Space Marines 145
Rhino 35

10 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; Calibanite war blade); 9 Tactical Space Marines 145
Rhino 35

Mortis Dreadnought: 2 twin-linked autocannons 135

9 Veteran Space Marines: Veteran Sergeant (artificer armour; combi-grenade with stasis shells; Calibanite war blade); Machine Killers; 8 Veteran Space Marines; 7 × combi-weapon; 3 × power weapon; melta bombs; plasma gun 323

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron
Javelin Attack Speeder: pintle-mounted multi-melta; 2 × hunter-killer missiles 75

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod 115

Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought Talon
Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought: Leviathan siege drill; grav-flux bombard 295
Dreadnought Drop Pod 100

4 Jetbike Sky Slayers: plasma cannons 270

War Machine Detachment
Cerastus Knight-Acheron 415

2,233 points

Plus an Arcus. Here’s the army shot:

Mission was Blood Feud and my god it was a blowout. Opponent was Ultramarines, he took a knight, quad mortars, a Sicaran, a Scorpius, Phoenix guys with a praetor and a chaplain in an LR, a kheres mortis dread, two vet squads and a volkite support squad.

I dropped a leviathan on him and then ran up with the knight while my reserves came in steadily and it was a bloodbath. Highlight of the game was getting to have a knight fight where both of us gave each other the D, but mostly I shot his army to pieces. Goofy LensFX shots:

I like this guy a lot and look forward to taking him more in the future: