Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On a MacPherson strut, the strut is acting both as a spring/damper and as the upper suspension arm. The Miata's setup is a coilover that happens to look like a strut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

puberty worked me over posted:

Do you have some whitepapers on this? Really curious what makes the miata stock suspension setup so much better than everything else. Also you and I must consider struts to be two different things because the stock BRZ suspension doesn't look a whole lot different than the stock Miata suspension. Are you stating the fact that the bottom of the front struts are held in with two bolts vs the miata's one that makes a huge difference?

So below:

vs

Is a huge deal? Does the miata's double control arm setup with the strut going through the upper make it handle light years better?

Lol those two suspension setups are nothing alike

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The upper A arm allows the camber curve to stay nice through-out the travel of the suspension vs the strut.

This might be some good reading on the subject:
http://blogs.youwheel.com/2014/06/11/automobile-suspension-design-101-part-i-what-is-a-suspension/
https://www.me.utexas.edu/~longoria/VSDC/07_vertical_dynamics_and_ride/07_1a_Milliken_Milliken_Chapter17.pdf

fridge corn posted:

Lol those two suspension setups are nothing alike

Shuddup you, we're trying to help them learn.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Simply put, when you corner, the outside suspension compresses and the body rolls over. With a strut suspension, your camber basically doesn't change when this happens and so you wind up using the outside edge of the tread and sidewall, which is not good for wear. To make up for that, you need a bunch of negative camber so the full tread is flat on the ground in a corner. But that reduces grip while braking and leads to uneven tire temps and wear.

A double wishbone, on the other hand, can have much more camber gain under compression so that as you corner, the tire stays perpendicular to the ground.

The other thing is that a strut has to take up a ton of side-loading, which is not ideal for the damper itself. With wishbones, the arms are handling all that and allow the shock to work just as a shock.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Left: 6 years old. Right: New.

I'm an adult, I swear.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Beverly Cleavage posted:

while the idea may not be revolutionary, the implementation, control and packaging into a desirable package are the driving factors. He's really the Steve Jobs of the market he is tackling (vertical business integration, tight control of supply/demand, locked down access, etc).

That's my point; it's very much like the Apple thing contrary to what Fridge Corn was saying - I'm seeing it as almost exactly like Apple repackaging other people's R&D.

Which, I mean, is fine, but I'm not going to bend over applauding it as revolutionary.

puberty worked me over posted:

Do you have some whitepapers on this? Really curious what makes the miata stock suspension setup so much better than everything else. Also you and I must consider struts to be two different things because the stock BRZ suspension doesn't look a whole lot different than the stock Miata suspension. Are you stating the fact that the bottom of the front struts are held in with two bolts vs the miata's one that makes a huge difference?

Is a huge deal? Does the miata's double control arm setup with the strut going through the upper make it handle light years better?

Oh boy. Some people already covered the basics, camber gain. That's a good and important thing. But the complicated version is more important.

See, there's a concept called roll center - basically it's an imaginary point that sideways force works through. And the concept is important for a variety of reasons, but among them is apparent roll stiffness. See, the distance between the roll center and the center of gravity is the lever arm to determine how much force the body of the car is under to make it roll. On double wishbone suspensions like the Miata, you can set up the roll center to move with the body - under body movement, the lever arm stays the same. On strut suspensions, as the front end of the car goes down, the roll center always drops faster than the CG. Why works out to geometry, but the crux of the matter is that because that lever arm changes, you have it where one end or the other doing more work twisting the car varies with where the nose of the car is... which means that it may vary from under to oversteer depending on whether you're braking, accelerating, or often depending on body roll.

Why *that* is important, is that it means that to keep the suspension from doing unpredictable things, you have to stiffen the poo poo out of strut suspensions, which hurts grip past a point. With wishbones you can let things be softer and the suspension can move around because it's not doing bad things.

Double wishbones on all 4 corners (or stuff that works out to it) is the layout used by every single on-road purpose built race car since the 60s, but usually isn't adopted by cheap production cars because it has packaging implications and sometimes costs more.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Its internal. Stripped a bunch of shite components out and got to the top of the box, the left/right link moves freely, the fore/aft link is locked solid. Next diagnostic step is to drop the box, which is subframe out, drop engine/box, spilt. Crap, that'll take me months.

Is it worth it? Or better to bid it a fond gently caress-off and get something else?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That's a proper tree though. Nice, full, plump. Mine is the cheapest :airquote: 6 foot (really, it's more like 5 ft once you remove the stand and the little twig at the top) I could find. It really looks like a sad little Charlie Brown tree until you fill it in with lights and ornaments. And I made the mistake of going with mostly dark ornaments; it looks like there's hardly any on it because of that. I'll go with a different tree next year.. one that's a bit fuller, one that's also maybe a bit... different. I saw some black ones that were pretty awesome, but they were only pre-lit.

Call me old fashioned if you like, but LED Christmas lights really don't look right to me. The cheap ones give me migraines from the 60 hz flicker, the good ones are just a bit... dazzling I guess? I'm all for the LED ones for exterior decor, but on the tree itself, they just look wrong to me. :corsair:

I can't do the clear/white lights either. Growing up, my mother always insisted those were for the poors and the gays (seriously), and that real trees always had clear lights. So I make sure mine is making GBS threads rainbows. They do look great when done right (and yours was done right), I just like a bit more color.

Well, I'm actually pretty happy with the way these turned out. I thought they'd be a bit too white at first, but once I unwound them I found that they actually look pretty good:

These are actually pretty decent, a little bit of flicker, but you can only really tell when you're like right up next to them.
Also my first, and probably last time using a real tree. Not quite as stiff as I'm used to, but it worked. Hopefully over the summer Balsam Hill will have a good sale and I can pick up a really good fake one to last me the next 15 years or so. :v:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I'm an adult, I swear.

Nice, here's my "not an adult yet" wallet.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

jamal posted:

Simply put, when you corner, the outside suspension compresses and the body rolls over. With a strut suspension, your camber basically doesn't change when this happens and so you wind up using the outside edge of the tread and sidewall, which is not good for wear. To make up for that, you need a bunch of negative camber so the full tread is flat on the ground in a corner. But that reduces grip while braking and leads to uneven tire temps and wear.

A double wishbone, on the other hand, can have much more camber gain under compression so that as you corner, the tire stays perpendicular to the ground.

The other thing is that a strut has to take up a ton of side-loading, which is not ideal for the damper itself. With wishbones, the arms are handling all that and allow the shock to work just as a shock.

also to follow up on this, the miata (at least the pic you chose) also has the steering linkage attached at the forward of the wheel hub which is ideal compared to having it attached at the rear.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Time Warner contractor: "I don't feel like pulling new cable. Good nuff." :argh:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I'm an adult, I swear.

I would totally rock that, except I've had the same World Industries wallet for 17 years.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I know I've been in the same hospital too much this last year when my laptop remembers the wireless network.

9m Daughter has a virus and had an allergic reaction to the meds. Day 4 so far. Has a GI tube because she won't eat. She's doing good today.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I would totally rock that, except I've had the same World Industries wallet for 17 years.

Holy poo poo, the guys from my Tech Decks (yes, I know WI :v:)

Cage posted:

Nice, here's my "not an adult yet" wallet.

Nice.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Ain't no bailing wire or wood screws.

Yet. :colbert:

if you aren't using a pair of visegrips to hold both a structural and electrical connection simultaneously gtfo skrub

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Time Warner contractor: "I don't feel like pulling new cable. Good nuff." :argh:

Lol, you expected a cable contractor to actually do their job?
So did he actually have a van or was it some rando in a Sentra?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GUYS GUYS GUYS

AIR FRIED TATER TOTS ARE A GIFT FROM HEAVEN

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

GUYS GUYS GUYS

AIR FRIED TATER TOTS ARE A GIFT FROM HEAVEN

RIP you not being fat

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Previa_fun posted:

RIP you not being fat

THERE'S NO OIL GOD LOVES ME

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Rhyno posted:

THERE'S NO OIL GOD LOVES ME

cept the oil that was there from factory

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

cept the oil that was there from factory

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

But for reals, they were just so perfectly cooked and crispy and delicious. Gonna toss some chicken in there tomorrow.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

I know I've been in the same hospital too much this last year when my laptop remembers the wireless network.

9m Daughter has a virus and had an allergic reaction to the meds. Day 4 so far. Has a GI tube because she won't eat. She's doing good today.

Glad to hear she's doing better, hope she gets out of the hospital and home soon :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

But for reals, they were just so perfectly cooked and crispy and delicious. Gonna toss some chicken in there tomorrow.

i refuse to believe they're better than properly fried tater tots

maybe better than oven tots but thats a low bar to clear

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

i refuse to believe they're better than properly fried tater tots

maybe better than oven tots but thats a low bar to clear

Gimmie your address, I'll cook some and mail them to you.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Is it worth it? Or better to bid it a fond gently caress-off and get something else?

Quandary however:
Option 1: buy cheap inefficient car for wife i.e. Auto petrol v70. Cheap to buy, her low mileage won't harm it, can still be used for family holidays
Option 2: buy a hybrid i.e. Gen 2 prius under 100k miles, again plus points as above except we need to tow a 1000lb trailer for family holidays, can't legally tow with a gen 2 prius
Option 3: buy me a diesel v70 or similar, my higher miles will be fine on it, good family car for holidays, wife has to have my panda.

Option 4 of buy a cheap stop-gap hatchback and replace the gearbox myself has been rejected already, because gently caress that. Option 5 paying the garage to tow it away and replace it probably costs more than buying a better car.

Yay Christmas finances.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I just learned not all "maintenance free" batteries have cell caps under the top cover. I have just made a horrible mistake.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Did you just butcher a perfectly good battery?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

General_Failure posted:

I just learned not all "maintenance free" batteries have cell caps under the top cover. I have just made a horrible mistake.

How many eyes do you have left.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ExplodingSims posted:

Lol, you expected a cable contractor to actually do their job?
So did he actually have a van or was it some rando in a Sentra?

Didn't actually look outside. :v: But I knew he was a contractor the moment he insisted on testing the line again instead of just pulling new cable... which is what the work order was for.

Modem is showing tons of errors, and connecting on 15 out of 16 channels still. If I was on a faster tier I'd probably notice. 10 hours since he left, modem has half a million correctable errors, and over 1M uncorrectable. I'm used to a handful a day. :argh:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Didn't actually look outside. :v: But I knew he was a contractor the moment he insisted on testing the line again instead of just pulling new cable... which is what the work order was for.

Modem is showing tons of errors, and connecting on 15 out of 16 channels still. If I was on a faster tier I'd probably notice. 10 hours since he left, modem has half a million correctable errors, and over 1M uncorrectable. I'm used to a handful a day. :argh:

Useless fucker probably has no idea, just knows barely enough about coax to get TV signal to kinda work.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Powershift posted:

How many eyes do you have left.

Two. Who cares about that when I have damaged a usable battery? It's definitely not the best battery but it has been usable.
The other maintenance free battery I popped the top off today had cell covers. I topped it up. It needed some because I made a mistake yesterday. Had the stupid battery on charging for maybe four hours. It's a poo poo battery that I just use for stuff around the yard. It didn't really want to take much current. Over the course of the day the current it was taking was going up. I went to have a shower, and when I came back out there was steam shooting out the vent like a kettle and the charge current was sitting on maybe 30A. Whoops!

Today I also got stuck in a town over the border. Niva wouldn't crank. For the third time in my life I had to call roadside assistance. Started instantly with jumper leads. Stalled it in the driveway when I got home. Started without an issue. I really need a couple of new batteries for the cars but this time of year is very bad for finances. Have to ride it out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

Useless fucker probably has no idea, just knows barely enough about coax to get TV signal to kinda work.

Pretty much. He said the levels my modem was reporting were useless, and his handheld device was the only thing he could go by. The previous tech said the handheld device (same one the contractor had) was more accurate than what the modem was reporting, in that it could report real-time instead of waiting for me to refresh, but was much more receptive to my input.

I'm already noticing issues with packet loss, particularly with VoIP and Skype. Skype is drat near unusable.

loving dipshit that was out here was ramming sheet metal screws into drywall too, and was confused why they kept pulling out. :fuckoff: Didn't even apologize about the multiple holes he left from screws that pulled out. The upside is I got a ~$50 cable amp out of this; it's the 1 port version of the amp I put in my parents house. It's a very good amp, but he slapped a bandaid on a much bigger issue because he wanted to move on to the next stop. I knew he was way ahead of schedule when he woke me up at 11:30 asking if I was home (my appointment was 3-4pm, I don't usually wake up until 2pm), which instantly tipped me off to the contractor aspect (they get paid by the job, so the more they knock out per day, the more they make). And I fully intend to take that amp with me when I move; it's not marked as TWC/Spectrum property, and he asked me to throw the box away for him. No inventory number on the box or anything, and his shirt had the name of a local contractor. Didn't sign any paperwork, and it's not something a cable tech would normally install unless there was no other way to fix a signal issue.

I've stayed in touch with my landlord about everything.. they never cleared any work with her like they were supposed to. I sent her the same picture, she's understandably pissed off about the poo poo work. He also managed to rip the drywall anchors out of the wall that were holding the wall plate to the wall, so it's just kinda held there by the tension from the cables. Nothing that an old work bracket can't fix (and that's how it should have been done to begin with, years ago, instead of just jamming the wall plate into the wall with tiny anchors). I'll throw a trim ring behind it tomorrow to keep the drywall from getting hosed up further, then call back and bitch about the packet loss.

e: also, I still have 1 working cable jack.. out of 6. I was hoping to move the modem and router to my bedroom, damnit.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 5, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

mekilljoydammit posted:

That's my point; it's very much like the Apple thing contrary to what Fridge Corn was saying - I'm seeing it as almost exactly like Apple repackaging other people's R&D.

Which, I mean, is fine, but I'm not going to bend over applauding it as revolutionary.

I was being facetious and definitely not applauding Musk. I don't think he's invented anything revolutionary but it seems to be what he's trying to do except he doesn't really know what he's doing and just throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

stump posted:

My old man managed to do that with a hammer and fencing staple. Nailed himself to a fence half way up a mountain, working by himself trying to get a fence finished before Christmas. Of course he threw the hammer away out of reach as soon as he done it, so he couldn’t pull the nail out.

Thankfully some walkers noticed the shouting man bleeding all over the snow and passed him his hammer.... he still finished the fence before he went home.

Guy I used to work with in Parks was a chippy in a former life and was building a house. He was framing up a room and the normal procedure is you build the wall frame on the ground, stand it up, bolt it down and build the next wall and so on.

He was on wall 4, it was getting close to lunch time so he sent the apprentice down the road to get lunch. 2 mins after apprentice is gone, he nails himself to the frame with the paslode. Goes for hammer- Hammer is diagonally opposite the frame to him where he was knocking something to square it up. This was back before mobile phones, so cant call apprentice to help. Cant slide wall frame around to get to hammer because he's got the other three frames already up.

So he got to stand there hunched over for 25 mins waiting for the apprentice to get back so he could get the hammer and get the nail out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Quandary however:
Option 1: buy cheap inefficient car for wife i.e. Auto petrol v70. Cheap to buy, her low mileage won't harm it, can still be used for family holidays
Option 2: buy a hybrid i.e. Gen 2 prius under 100k miles, again plus points as above except we need to tow a 1000lb trailer for family holidays, can't legally tow with a gen 2 prius
Option 3: buy me a diesel v70 or similar, my higher miles will be fine on it, good family car for holidays, wife has to have my panda.

Option 4 of buy a cheap stop-gap hatchback and replace the gearbox myself has been rejected already, because gently caress that. Option 5 paying the garage to tow it away and replace it probably costs more than buying a better car.

Yay Christmas finances.
Option 3 sounds best, but I'd say the immediate solution is spend £500ish on a generic car to keep you both mobile and stick the Multipla on ebay as spares or repair. That should get you breathing room to find something you like.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mekilljoydammit posted:

Which revolutionary technologies did Tesla invent again?

An EV that is actually incredibly compelling with growing infrastructure of fast charging so you can drive it coast to coast like a normal ICE powered car. The EV itself might not be revolutionalry but the real revolution is that Tesla have solved a poo poo load of the questions we all had 10 years ago like the supercharger network that has proven EV's genuinely viable and desireable day to day.

If I told you ten years ago you would have EV's that can beat the poo poo out of suprcars, that dont have range anxiety, that are in every way the equal or better of ICE, you wold have laughed. Theres your revolution because no one is laughing now.

Even right now, if you had told me that a EV semi could work a year ago I would have laughed you out the door. I'm still dubious but..... Tesla just unveiled one. That even as a working concept is revolutionary as gently caress.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

fridge corn posted:

I was being facetious and definitely not applauding Musk. I don't think he's invented anything revolutionary but it seems to be what he's trying to do except he doesn't really know what he's doing and just throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks

Ah, OK. Hard to tell over the internet, and one person's fascetiousness sounds not far off another's breathless praise. ;)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But he invented the electric car and space travel and mars.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Powershift posted:

But he invented the electric car and space travel and mars.

JFC Matt Damon invented Mars. He just signed the patent over to Musk in order to call himself "The Martian" forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
That should have been obvious when he was trying to figure out if mars was flat or not...

• Locked thread