Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

The scene of Peter and Tony talking in Peter's room is fantastic. It got even better when I found out that Tom Holland genuinely just forgot to move his leg and Robert Downey jr. just rolled with it.

Ronan's introduction scene is significantly better than his character. I think the lighting is very well done and I like that series of images it presents.

Ireallylikeeggs fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SonicRulez posted:

Is there non-fight sequence in the MCU better than the bit in Homecoming where Spidey stops a bike thief and does a flip for a random New Yorker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i574Em3IrI

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I forgot how good this was, I need to rewatch First Avenger.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Is it too late to name Scrawny Steve Rodgers jumping on that grenade?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Arist posted:

I forgot how good this was, I need to rewatch First Avenger.

The first third of First Avenger is so loving good. The rest of it's pretty good, but the first act is 100% totally my poo poo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JT Smiley posted:

Same.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SonicRulez posted:

Is there non-fight sequence in the MCU better than the bit in Homecoming where Spidey stops a bike thief and does a flip for a random New Yorker?

There are a lot that strike a chord in such a way.

I don't know if it is better, but what about the first time you knew something bigger was at play. The first magical glimpse into a larger world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5ateXQIqIo

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

JT Smiley posted:

Honestly, I get a little choked up every time. I basically have a pavlovian response to heroic sacrifice, I instantly turn into the "it's still real to me drat it!" Guy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Winter Soldier has too many fantastic action sequences to mention. But now I want the entire movie to be edited to work with Michael Pena retelling the story as he heard it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
My favorite non-fight MCU moment is the ending of Iron Man, which blew my mind at the time because I've always associated superheroes with secret identities, and it was completely in-character for Tony to just say "the truth is, I'm Iron Man".

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SonicRulez posted:

poly and open-minded posted:

michael pena telling stories in ant man

It's this.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The whole "to court death" line and grin was pretty awesome and I wish I hadn't been spoiled on it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CzarChasm posted:

There are a lot that strike a chord in such a way.

I don't know if it is better, but what about the first time you knew something bigger was at play. The first magical glimpse into a larger world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5ateXQIqIo

See, I thought that was just some Easter egg or tease for Iron Man 2. It’s when RDJ shows up at the end of Hulk that it really clicked for me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To me, one of the best MCU scenes is the hospital set fakeout from First Avenger. Its the first real point where I felt like Chris Evans really embraced the quiet horror and unease that makes Cap such an endearing comic book character.

It also has someone running into Times Square and it isn't portrayed as this colorful Disneyland of consumerism but this insane overassault on the senses. Man that scene is good

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

kaesarsosei posted:

Did you just get thawed out?

Yes I'm Jim Shooter from 1984, seriously though. It really doesn't get bigger than the Infinity Gems. Like for the next massive crossover I doubt they'd do something like the first Secret Wars with just one Beyonder, or even freaking Secret Wars that Hickman somehow pulled off mainly because you need the FF otherwise nothing works. The mentality to top the next by going bigger and bigger is what worries me. I honestly had always hoped they would have gone smaller with something along the lines of Secret Invasion, into the next movies being Dark Reign influenced.

Like I know the Infinity movies will be good, I have faith in the Russo brothers. I just wonder how something like this gets topped, by either going even more massive spectacle, or smaller more intimate.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How about Avengers movies just stop for a good while after 4?
Come back in when people are missing it, and the solo/other group movies have moved the status quo enough where rebuilding a team would mean a lot.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

For the next big thing after the infinity gems, they need to get the rights to Kang back and do some crazy time stuff.

that way they can bring back whoever's died off between now and then for some big finale. and i assume there's going to be a pretty big gap between avengers 4 and a theoretical 5

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I recognize that I already gave an answer, but the quiet talk Drax has with Mantis is also pretty amazing.

"She was like you."
"Disgusting?"
"Innocent."

And then I immediately started tearing up because of something loving Batista said.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think Feige has already said that the next phase of the MCU is going to be a lot different than what we see now. More character/story based than spectacle.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Iron man 3 has two good sequence not yet mentioned, this part where Tony is tied up to a bed always gets a laugh from me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfOU2MX7Cxw

And also the Mandarin reveal

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

How about Avengers movies just stop for a good while after 4?

Because Disney and money? I guess I'm just a bit cynical as to how a massive corporate entity like Disney would even consider stop making Avengers movies or a secret avengers movie a la Civil War for a while.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

To me, one of the best MCU scenes is the hospital set fakeout from First Avenger. Its the first real point where I felt like Chris Evans really embraced the quiet horror and unease that makes Cap such an endearing comic book character.

It also has someone running into Times Square and it isn't portrayed as this colorful Disneyland of consumerism but this insane overassault on the senses. Man that scene is good

It's a real shame that they cut the scene of Cap struggling to adjust to modern day from the first Avengers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pov4qMSfg9w

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jiro posted:

Because Disney and money? I guess I'm just a bit cynical as to how a massive corporate entity like Disney would even consider stop making Avengers movies or a secret avengers movie a la Civil War for a while.

I haven’t really felt like Disney has done a lot of cheap cashgrabs with the MCU. I think they realize how they seem to have hit on something pretty unique that other studios haven’t been able to recreate and if they sink this they may not be able to get it back.

The other thing is that Avengers movies are always big cappers to end a Phase (except Infinity War sounds like) so if Avengers 4 is heralding a totally new era it may take some time to build to that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I’m also noticing on my rewatches that I really do miss the phase 1 films. Most of the best stuff comes later, but there’s something charming in the simplicity.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think my favourite non-fight scene from the MCU movies is a bit of a cheat because it sets up a fight scene, but it's the bit in Avengers where Loki's in Germany, he's bullying a crowd of people, forces them all to bow to him and then has the following exchange:

:smug: "You were made to be ruled. In the end, you will always kneel."
:smith: "Not to men like you."
:smug: "There are no men like me."
:smith: "There are always men like you."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The first third of First Avenger is so loving good. The rest of it's pretty good, but the first act is 100% totally my poo poo.

Yeah. Captain America was all over the place quality wise. So much so that by the end I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. There was a lot of cool stuff in it but also a lot of crap. Wildly inconsistent. I can't think of another film I feel the same way about TBH.

EDIT: Also, my favorite MCU non fight moments were Norton's scenes in Incredible Hulk.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 5, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

JT Smiley posted:

It's a real shame that they cut the scene of Cap struggling to adjust to modern day from the first Avengers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pov4qMSfg9w

I can't believe they cut a Stan Lee scene.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fruit on the bottom posted:

I’m also noticing on my rewatches that I really do miss the phase 1 films. Most of the best stuff comes later, but there’s something charming in the simplicity.

Yeah, it feels like they really went with a 60's comic book feel, plot wise, and it worked really well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Disney and Fox are reportedly closing in on a $60+ billion deal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/05/disney-and-fox-are-closing-in-on-deal-could-be-announced-next-week--sources.html

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Looking forward to both Deadpool in Avengers 4 and the imminent hyperbolic anti-corporate doomsayer meltdown.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phylodox posted:

Looking forward to both Deadpool in Avengers 4 and the imminent hyperbolic anti-corporate doomsayer meltdown.

That's a neat trick there, to turn anyone wary of monopolies and oligopolies into someone being against the separate concept of incorporation.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Phylodox posted:

Anti-corporate is good.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Being anti-corporate is good, but to act like this is some point of no return considering it's one gigantic megacorp buying (parts of) another gigantic, definitely more evil megacorp is...let's say....naive? I dunno. There's no ethical consumption under capitalism but, I mean, come on. 20th Century Fox is not some scrappy, tiny underdog being swallowed up by the Big Bad Disney. It's a gigantic corporation, which it looks like Disney is only interested in the creative and artistic branches anyways. It's still gonna be a gigantic force in sports, and, quite unfortunately, news.

If anything I'm more happy knowing that if I watch Legion, Fargo, or any FF/X-Men movie, my money and/or viewership is going to a company that is not actively trying to rewrite reality to suit its needs and sell more gold to old people whose brains it breaks. But, again, no ethical consumption under capitalism.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It seems to be an asset sale rather than a share sale, so I'm curious whether that means they're going to take all of Fox's non-sports/news assets and IP. Are the Marvel rights Fox controls all in one bundle or are the FF and the X-Men separate? What all is in the Fox portfolio that Disney is willing to cough up $60 billion for?

(As a student and practitioner of corporate law, I'm always on the lookout for practical examples. :v:)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
But your money is going to Disney.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Disney's target audience is my fat single 35 year old cousin Taryn, not old people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope that when Bob Iger finally goes, the guy who wrote DisneyWar comes up with a sequel or an appendix or something.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Disney owns enough poo poo that their target audience is literally every human being on the planet.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Aphrodite posted:

Disney's target audience is my fat single 35 year old cousin Taryn, not old people.

Don't use my real name here, or I'll tell Meemaw all the mean things you've been saying about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It seems to be an asset sale rather than a share sale, so I'm curious whether that means they're going to take all of Fox's non-sports/news assets and IP. Are the Marvel rights Fox controls all in one bundle or are the FF and the X-Men separate? What all is in the Fox portfolio that Disney is willing to cough up $60 billion for?

(As a student and practitioner of corporate law, I'm always on the lookout for practical examples. :v:)

Going off this:

quote:

The deal contemplates the sale of Fox's Nat Geo, Star, regional sports networks, movie studios and stakes in Sky and Hulu, among other properties. What would remain at Fox includes its news and business news divisions, broadcast network and Fox sports.

It seems like everything but FSN, Fox News, Fox Business, and FOX, the channel, goes to Disney. So most notably stuff like FX/FXX, Nat Geo, etc. From the implication, all of the FF and X-Men rights at least for movies would revert back to Disney and subsequently Marvel. If I were to guess, Legion goes to Disney, since it's on FX.

The only real question is The Gifted, to be honest, although I imagine Fox either has contracts in place when they got the rights to make the tv show in the first place or will get some sort of exception written in when sold specifically to accommodate having creative/artistic direction of the show when they're sold to Disney.

Or maybe they just sell the rights to The Gifted and it moves to ABC. I could see that happening too.

• Locked thread