Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Looks like archers are getting their own Lady of Justice:

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/937860180787654656

(Screw you melee guys, you already have Ancestral Warchief)

Mmmm, excellent. I feel like Siege Ballista was supposed to serve a similar function to the ancestral totems but it's just not as good.

nightwisher posted:

I've run DP on non-berserker VP characters, the sustain is fine. Might have a hard time with tanky bosses, but oh well, might have to use another skill for bosses like 90% of builds do :)

The changes to it just mean that it's more desirable to ping it off skeles, as it should have been in the first place. Just being a chaos flavoured ice nova was pretty silly for a "minion" skill.

Oh, well, that's good to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also cool, new mobs native to that tileset, archives needed to demonstrate that it was under kitava's influence

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I all of the sudden want to build an archer this league

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

whypick1 posted:

Kinda want to start as a bow build for some dumb reason now

Infinite Karma posted:

It always sucks when they nerf budget options like Rise of the Phoenix. Making builds more expensive in general sucks - there are plenty of high end items to motivate players without taking away medium-good ones.
I can sustain RF on my llrf dude with a saffell's or springleaf without much work. The buff to life and life regen make up a lot of it to me, might be enough to let you get away with even less max res than I have from a plane old springleaf (i.e., 0) .

e. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that nerfing the 1c item in the build isn't going to be what makes the build cost $$$$, it's still probably BiS for that poo poo.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 5, 2017

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Autotargeting persistent echo for bow skills? Sign me up.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Oh my god I can finally summon my stand to battle injustice

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
YES

YESSSSSSS

BURN IT ALL DOWN

Chris Wilson added this to the nerfs page posted:

The Slayer
The Brutal Fervour Ascendancy Skill no longer grants Maximum Life Leech Rate. Hematophagy and Vitality Void now only grant +3% to Maximum Life Leech Rate (from +5%).

As a result of the changes to Vaal pact, other sources of leech were also examined. Brutal Fervour was identified as a problem, moreso after the changes to Vaal Pact, as it was the next-closest thing to instant leech. We didn't want to change what made the Slayer the Slayer, but were okay with it taking a small hit, given its dominance over the 3.0.0 ladders.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

nightwisher posted:

YES

YESSSSSSS

BURN IT ALL DOWN

not sure why you're so happy, spoilers slayer leech is still great
and the new vp is adjacent to them so :shrug:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
For dudes that run Shrapnel Shot, what do you do with the phys/light damage? Do you put at PtL gem in there and do 90% lightning?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Salt sustains me, and anything that touches slayer is guaranteed to generate it :v: I love big changes because you get all these people who are apparently expert ARPG designers writing rants about how the game is dead, GGG are completely incompetant, they dont play their own game, blah blah blah. Logical criticism is totally fine but it's not that with some people, it's purely emotional. I like poking those people :)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
It's a little sad because one thing that made Slayer really nice to play was having shittons of leech while still getting to have some amount of life regen. It was a sweet niche that Slayer had which is most likely eroded, though possibly for the better.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
According to bex on Reddit, the mirage archer doesn't work with blink/mirror arrow, and doesn't work with seige ballista or RAT though they want to make it work with the latter in the future. It can apply curses but won't generate charges or grant you any on hit effects.

It does look cool, and I was meaning to try a windripper build...

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 5, 2017

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

theshim posted:

while still getting to have some amount of life regen.

This is the part I liked too. But I'm gonna wait for the notes before I get too bummed out about it. I dont see them ignoring incoming damage with the removal of instant leech, so hopefully the tweaks to damage + nerfed slayer leech ends up being less noticeable if you dont take vaal pact.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

dyzzy posted:

According to bex on Reddit, the mirage archer doesn't work with blink/mirror arrow, and doesn't work with seige ballista or RAT though they want to make it work with the latter in the future. It can apply curses but won't generate charges or grant you any on hit effects.

It does look cool, and I was meaning to try a windripper build...
Applying curses sounds pretty good enough for utility.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

nightwisher posted:

Salt sustains me, and anything that touches slayer is guaranteed to generate it :v: I love big changes because you get all these people who are apparently expert ARPG designers writing rants about how the game is dead, GGG are completely incompetant, they dont play their own game, blah blah blah. Logical criticism is totally fine but it's not that with some people, it's purely emotional. I like poking those people :)

I like when overly strong things are hit back down by the nerf bat, it opens up more viable ways to play if whats strongest is only 10% better then the next thing instead of 100%

I really hate when a game becomes everyone doing the exact same thing because it's the best way to do things, especially if the game is supposed to be all about choices.
Hated the early days of every build running every aura at once.
Hated every build requiring drop-only support gems.
Hated the days when a couple popular uniques were omnipresent, to the point that "gold farmer" sites were selling lightning coils at starts of league.
Hated how ES builds were everywhere for 3x more life then any other option.

Oddly enough a lot of what I hated in this random loot collecting game was a lot of the random loot.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

whypick1 posted:

:q:

ive got me a Stand heck yes

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

whypick1 posted:

Oh loving hell yes. I love archers too drat much in this game already.

Vasudus posted:

For dudes that run Shrapnel Shot, what do you do with the phys/light damage? Do you put at PtL gem in there and do 90% lightning?

The answer to this is "run Doomfletch Prism and Drillneck with double jewels and do 8x damage cone-shots on poor fools." With a prism on, you just scale added phys/phys% in as many slots as you can and end up ramping your damage up to about 1-2 million st. Even with a GMP/Inc.AoE you're still sitting at a pretty 800k.

I almost forgot to account for the new nerf to doomfletch, so you'll maybe do slightly less damage, but overall it's still the best bow ingame.

Usually the link setup for Shrapnel Prism is Shrapnel - Chance to Bleed - Hypothermia - Conc. Effect, WED and Slow. Proj, switching out Conc and Slow Proj for AoE/GMP when mapping.

Keru fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 5, 2017

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Count Uvula posted:

I wanna know more about that mask, jesus christ

That's the existing MTX, Dragon Mask.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Keru posted:

Usually the link setup for Shrapnel Prism is Shrapnel - Chance to Bleed - Hypothermia - Conc. Effect, WED and Slow. Proj, switching out Conc and Slow Proj for AoE/GMP when mapping.

Chance to bleed???

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Count Uvula posted:

Chance to bleed???

Absolutely, it adds physical damage.

Edit: you can use other gems too, but I find that CtB is a lot more reliable because it doesn't need a status ailment to add it's damage, unlike Immolate, and it doesn't remove status ailments like Elemental Focus, which would remove both Immolate and Hypothermia from the setup.

Of course, you'll swap in stuff like Ele Focus for bosses that can't reliable get status effects on them, so that changes up the links a bit.

Keru fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 5, 2017

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Count Uvula posted:

Chance to bleed???

Doomfletch scales off flat phys, making Chance to Bleed the best support, also the semi-secret biggest buff to Doomfletch since the release of Prism.

E: Should Doomfletch just go for Ele Overload or RT now? 5% base crit means it's hard to justify really investing in crit outside of Assassin.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 5, 2017

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the new prism 'meta' will be to scale pure damage and ignore crits altogether. Most likely this'll also kill off the usefulness of status builds since a lot of the reliance on applying them is from having tons of crit to begin with.

We'll know more once we have the patch notes.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

If anyone's curious how a Pathfinder Doomfletch with Shrapnel Shot looks, even at dodgy gear levels, here's mine from the SSF league.

https://pastebin.com/nW5R2sLf

Edit: I spent most of that league using a regular Doomfletch and I mapped along just fine in red maps with that setup.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Keru posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the new prism 'meta' will be to scale pure damage and ignore crits altogether. Most likely this'll also kill off the usefulness of status builds since a lot of the reliance on applying them is from having tons of crit to begin with.

We'll know more once we have the patch notes.

does that mean you should use Maim instead of crit? edit that would mean three red sockets though hmm

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

I'm not going to really know poo poo until patch notes, to be honest. Maybe they fix some of the issues with CI, so you can run a Damage on Full Life gem in the mix, which would most likely be the biggest damage gem in there.

Edit: if they do fix this, I look forward to a lot more Elementalist Shrapnel Prism builds.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted:

does that mean you should use Maim instead of crit? edit that would mean three red sockets though hmm

"take increased physical damage" does not check damage conversion. Most of your damage with Shrapnel Shot Doomfletch is elemental, upon which Maim would only apply the 30% more and of course the chance to maim. You'd get some bonus damage from the unconverted physical but I don't think it'd be optimal overall.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 5, 2017

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

McFrugal posted:

"take increased physical damage" does not check damage conversion. Maim would only apply the 30% more and of course the chance to maim.

At a guess, Maim is probably a distant third for red gems, even fourth if you're running a CI build for some reason since Damage on Full Life is one of those really mental conditional support gems.

Even more so if your chances to freeze/ignite are above 60-70%, in which case you can throw out anything that isn't ele dam, hypothermia, immolate, conc and gmp/slow proj for supports.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

McFrugal posted:

"take increased physical damage" does not check damage conversion. Most of your damage with Shrapnel Shot Doomfletch is elemental, upon which Maim would only apply the 30% more and of course the chance to maim. You'd get some bonus damage from the unconverted physical but I don't think it'd be optimal overall.

I mean Maim also has the straight "Deals More Phys Damage", that's what I was asking about.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
getting 3R on a belly shouldnt be that bad as a stopgap until you can color a 2nd prism, at least (assuming maim is good for the build anyway)

what would you even swap for it tho

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

In a RRRGGB setup, you're about 200-250k behind a RRBBGG setup with ele focus instead of maim. The only time I'd say to go for 3R in a shrapnel build is if you're CI, so you can have Damage on Full Life instead of Maim, and even then you're still better off with a GGRRBB setup with ele focus instead of ctb.

The real issue is the fact you're not using Maim Support to it's full potential because damage conversions are applied before any increases to damage, more/increase regardless. I think the only thing that doesn't get ignore before conversion is flat added damage?

Maim gives 30% More damage at max level, but Ele Focus and Ele Damage gives 49% and 54% respectively, and moreover their damage bonus is applied to all the elemental damage you're converting to.

Damage on Full Life applies 49% More damage at max level, so it works like Ele Focus except it applies to all damage types, including Chaos.

The drawbacks to Ele Damage and Damage on Full Life is that they only work on Attack skills, unlike Ele Focus.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

https://pastebin.com/Xn95GNG6

Slayer Lightning Arrow/Barrage build with the new Doomfletch and RT. 1 million Barrage DPS, lvl 93 (pretend that VP is allocated). 14000 evasion 6200 life (using 5 2 damage mod + 7% life jewels and optimized gear, life total could be lower and damage could be much higher with 4 damage mod jewels). Arctic Armor, 3 Endurance Charges, Basalt Flask, Stibnite Flask for survivability, Devoto's + Atziri flask for chaos res. With the new VP this should have ~3000 life regen per second constantly. Lioneye's Chest for the effective 7L. The build is a bit int starved but the only thing you need more than 111 int for is Ele Weakness, so you could just use something like Projectile Weakness instead.

Every level after this is used to fill out the Scion Life wheel, eventually giving 7000 life and probably 3500 leech/sec at lvl 99. Also I honestly don't even know if this is the best pathing for the tree, I went around the exterior of Marauder area for Iron Grip but it might not be worth it anyways compared to just going through Marauder. Gear is pretty optimized, +1 arrow Drillneck, +1 enchant Devoto's, 6L unique chest and bow, and pretty expensive though not optimal jewelry/jewels. Also all 3 Duelist Ascendancies give similar damage, and Champion and Gladiator actually give pretty massive damage reduction bonuses. That said Slayer clearly fits the build the best and offers the best perks overall, on top of having a "hidden" 25% more multiplier from the cull. I'm sure with 7000 life, Fortify, Arctic Armour, and Endurance Charges + Basalt flask you can actually tank a Shaper slam though.

And as should be obvious, if you want to just go Tornado Shot with the enchant it probably does something in the 600-800k DPS range (approximately 120k DPS per arrow, 8 primary projectiles with the +2 secondary projectiles enchant) and you can wear a Kaom's Heart and get something like 8500 life. All these calculations are without accounting for the existence of the new support gems, which might be optimal over current options, or any upcoming items/skill tree changes.

E: To be clear this is Shaper DPS, no shock, no intimidate, fully point blank with Damage on Full Life and Elemental Focus on Barrage. TShot setup that gives 120k DPS per arrow is TS - PPAD - WED - CtB - Maim - Pierce, which could certainly be more if you use Ele Focus and DoFL, though I wouldn't personally use them on a primary pack clearing skill. Even noncrit you have a decent chance to shock/freeze with Elementalist and the 10% from Primeval Force cluster.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 5, 2017

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

When the patch notes come out someone make a melee necro, Tia. Preferably Cyclone.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

AggressivelyStupid posted:

When the patch notes come out someone make a melee necro, Tia. Preferably Cyclone.

Wish I'd saved my Ichimonji blade flurry necro I built for Legacy now.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Keru posted:

The real issue is the fact you're not using Maim Support to it's full potential because damage conversions are applied before any increases to damage, more/increase regardless. I think the only thing that doesn't get ignore before conversion is flat added damage?

e- nvm you're right. forgot they changed that

poe wiki posted:

Damage conversion is done before any increases, or multipliers are applied to damage guaranteeing that they are only applied once. However, converted damage is affected by modifiers that apply to be both the original damage type it was converted from, and the new damage type that it was converted to.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

https://pastebin.com/Xn95GNG6

Slayer Lightning Arrow/Barrage build with the new Doomfletch and RT. 1 million Barrage DPS, lvl 93 (pretend that VP is allocated). 14000 evasion 6200 life (using 5 2 damage mod + 7% life jewels and optimized gear, life total could be lower and damage could be much higher with 4 damage mod jewels). Arctic Armor, 3 Endurance Charges, Basalt Flask, Stibnite Flask for survivability, Devoto's + Atziri flask for chaos res. With the new VP this should have ~3000 life regen per second constantly. Lioneye's Chest for the effective 7L. The build is a bit int starved but the only thing you need more than 111 int for is Ele Weakness, so you could just use something like Projectile Weakness instead.

Every level after this is used to fill out the Scion Life wheel, eventually giving 7000 life and probably 3500 leech/sec at lvl 99. Also I honestly don't even know if this is the best pathing for the tree, I went around the exterior of Marauder area for Iron Grip but it might not be worth it anyways compared to just going through Marauder. Gear is pretty optimized, +1 arrow Drillneck, +1 enchant Devoto's, 6L unique chest and bow, and pretty expensive though not optimal jewelry/jewels. Also all 3 Duelist Ascendancies give similar damage, and Champion and Gladiator actually give pretty massive damage reduction bonuses. That said Slayer clearly fits the build the best and offers the best perks overall, on top of having a "hidden" 25% more multiplier from the cull. I'm sure with 7000 life, Fortify, Arctic Armour, and Endurance Charges + Basalt flask you can actually tank a Shaper slam though.

And as should be obvious, if you want to just go Tornado Shot with the enchant it probably does something in the 600-800k DPS range (approximately 120k DPS per arrow, 8 primary projectiles with the +2 secondary projectiles enchant) and you can wear a Kaom's Heart and get something like 8500 life. All these calculations are without accounting for the existence of the new support gems, which might be optimal over current options, or any upcoming items/skill tree changes.

E: To be clear this is Shaper DPS, no shock, no intimidate, fully point blank with Damage on Full Life and Elemental Focus on Barrage. TShot setup that gives 120k DPS per arrow is TS - PPAD - WED - CtB - Maim - Pierce, which could certainly be more if you use Ele Focus and DoFL, though I wouldn't personally use them on a primary pack clearing skill. Even noncrit you have a decent chance to shock/freeze with Elementalist and the 10% from Primeval Force cluster.

now do this setup with gear for someone who is not super rich. Curious if it's still good if so I might do this at some point in the league. Always liked LA, especially when the meta was to use it with voltaxic way back in the day. But having to us blast rain for single target was poopy imo.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

now do this setup with gear for someone who is not super rich. Curious if it's still good if so I might do this at some point in the league. Always liked LA, especially when the meta was to use it with voltaxic way back in the day. But having to us blast rain for single target was poopy imo.

Doomfletch prism + barrage is gonna be stupidly expensive in endgame content. You can do it on a budget, to an extent, but the primary benefit of that build is how well it scales with gear. I'd look elsewhere for budget builds.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Keru posted:

Wish I'd saved my Ichimonji blade flurry necro I built for Legacy now.

This checks some desired gimmick build boxes alright, you have the general gist of it?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

blast rain was great though

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Blast rain was great, but it's one of the dullest feeling skills I've ever used I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Using Doomfletch to do shrapnel shot isn't really what I had in mind. That's just...Doomfletch. I've done four of those.

I suppose I'll have to wait until the notes and trees come out.