Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The down button reset in game never really felt like it worked for me, it went from wildly inaccurate to slightly inaccurate, but it still wasn't right until I actually went into the menu to reset it. Maybe other people don't really care the beetle is drifting to the left and just adjust their aim, but I cared, I wanted it to fly straight when I held the wiimote straight, watching it go crooked even after pressing down meant I'd be going back into the menu to fix it properly.

That's pretty odd, either you're not recalibrating it correctly (i.e. understanding that pressing down on the dpad recenters it to the point at which the wiimote is pointing, so if you were off center in pointing, your whole calibration is off center) or the wiimotion plus was not functioning correctly. Much like many many Wii games, it doesn't matter whose fault it is, if people experience these problems and can't fix them, then it spoils the mood.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Maybe the controls worked just fine for you, great, glad you enjoyed the game! But they did not work for me.

Even beyond technical issues, I think this is the crux of half of Skyward Sword's problems. Be it technical issues or someone who just doesn't dig motion controls, if you can't get into SS's motion controls then you're not gonna like the base game because all the little moments of the gameplay hinges on wii motion plus. Even though I'm not fond of the other aspects of SS's designs, I loved the motion controls which was enough for me to enjoy it well enough, but I know that not everyone can get the setup working in the same way.

The other half is just...that Skyward Sword really just isn't that good. I'm all for linear zelda experiences, and SS had some cool moments, but nothing really stands out as fantastic, and there's more little annoyances everywhere in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A lot of the stuff you're forced to do in SS would've been much better off being optional content.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SS is the only main line Zelda I never finished. And I was ok with the controls (in the sense that they worked fine and I could use them ok, I thought they were gimmicky).

Glad botw turned out so awesome, and I had hyrule warriors to tide me over a bit :v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Skyward Sword has loving fantastic dungeon design and if it had a few more quality of life improvements and a better overworld then it would be pretty close to being the best Zelda.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

victrix posted:

SS is the only main line Zelda I never finished. And I was ok with the controls (in the sense that they worked fine and I could use them ok, I thought they were gimmicky).

Glad botw turned out so awesome, and I had hyrule warriors to tide me over a bit :v:

Also Link Between Worlds (and for some people Triforce Heroes, though it wasn’t my thing). Really, the Zelda scene since Skyward Sword has been incredible.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
1. Link to the Past - served to truly Mainstream the franchise and started the framework for all future storytelling that involved Link/Gannon/Zelda

2. Ocarina of Time - Brought the series to a peak that wouldn't be seen again until BotW. Caused mass excitement over the level of quality & polish for its era.

3. Link's Awakening - Expanded the way that narrative was delivered and how NPC's were used. Paved the way for all future Zelda games to be quirky, humorous, and surreal instead of straight-laced iterations of fantasy tropes.

4. Majora's Mask - The introduction of cynicism into Zelda. That saving the day doesn't mean your own salvation, or that all problems disappear. There's proportionality to all character's struggles. Thematically revisited in Twilight Princess.

5. Breath of the Wild - Learned nearly every lesson from all the past Zeldas and delivered a fully realized adventure that's familiar and foreign all at the same time.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Improbable Lobster posted:

Skyward Sword has loving fantastic dungeon design and if it had a few more quality of life improvements and a better overworld then it would be pretty close to being the best Zelda.

I do agree with this, there is a lot I like in Skyward sword, like the dungeons, and I actually like how dungeon like the outside areas before dungeons were as well. Skyloft is a really cool town when you explore it too.

But man, I hated the overworld a lot. It made general exploration around the world feel terrible.

ProjektorBoy posted:

4. Majora's Mask - The introduction of cynicism into Zelda. That saving the day doesn't mean your own salvation, or that all problems disappear. There's proportionality to all character's struggles. Thematically revisited in Twilight Princess.

I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion, based on the ending of MM when defeating the Skull Kid/Majora's mask stopped the moon and saved almost everyone? If you mean how some people stay dead after the ending (like the ones who died that gave you your masks), then I don't think that's necessarily the case given the ending doesn't dwell on them much, aside from the Deku Butler's son thing. I'd say the opposite, where MM really does teach you, by the ending, to find the magic combination that saves everyone so they're all happy. It's just all the things within that are darker and more focused than before.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is it possible in MM to save everybody in a 3 day cycle?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yes, except for the bomb lady being robbed since it conflicts with the Anju/Kafei questline. It might not be doable in the 3DS version though since the inverted song of time is significantly faster.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Ventana posted:

aside from the Deku Butler's son thing

this may have caused the most feels i've ever felt about a zelda character

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RatHat posted:

Yes, except for the bomb lady being robbed since it conflicts with the Anju/Kafei questline. It might not be doable in the 3DS version though since the inverted song of time is significantly faster.

That one isn't really saving anyways tbh

She gets attacked either way and the store will survive it

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

There was a dedicated button in the pause menu to recalibrate the wiimote gryos when they broke.

Think about that.

How many other games had that feature?

Every game with gyro controls.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

snoremac posted:

It has that dud monster boss you’re forced to do three times, the flying sucks and eats up time, and it has some frustrating motion gimmicks.

I got the motion controls well enough. But 3rd time on that boss and I couldn't bring myself to finish it. My wiiu is in storage, I should just watch the ending on youtube.

The Hyrule Warriors version of the Imprisoned is decent enough.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
By the third time, The Imprisoned shouldn't have been much of a challenge. I'm not saying it was good to have to fight again, but chop chop done in just a couple minutes then back to RC Beetles or whatever

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

man this makes me wanna replay the hell out of MM now. what a great and strange game

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Bloop posted:

By the third time, The Imprisoned shouldn't have been much of a challenge. I'm not saying it was good to have to fight again, but chop chop done in just a couple minutes then back to RC Beetles or whatever

It was a boring slog the first time and nothing about it improved in the revisits, this is an orthogonal vector to "challenge" and I hate the way folks can't handle criticism of a game without resorting to talking poo poo like this.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I did like how Groose started helping during Imprisoned fights. Even if he was basically the only character to really develop at all during the game, it was still pretty cool to see him go from highschool bully to hero of the day.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JawnV6 posted:

It was a boring slog the first time and nothing about it improved in the revisits, this is an orthogonal vector to "challenge" and I hate the way folks can't handle criticism of a game without resorting to talking poo poo like this.

You're an orthagonal vector

My point wasn't that you couldn't do it because it's hard it was more lol that you ragequit a game over an easy 3 minute fight. I even agreed that it was unnecessary and even a drawback/downside to the game. I'll be happy to criticize it, but it was def worth playing.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

groose alone justifies Skyward Swords existence

but hey not everybody needs to love every game

(i don't like zelda 2 because of the annoying sidescrolling combat)

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Ventana posted:

I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion, based on the ending of MM when defeating the Skull Kid/Majora's mask stopped the moon and saved almost everyone?

Something in the way that Tatl and Tael react to Link at the end.

We're then left with parting shots of a mourning Deku and the scrawlings of the Skull Kid on a tree stump. Surely drawn with regret and longing as he did on the trees towards the entrance of Woodfall. He liked to draw everyone he considered a friend. Even the four giants.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Bloop posted:

lol that you ragequit a game over an easy 3 minute fight

#1 speed run can't get through the fight and 12 related cutscenes in 3 minutes. I am not as good as that speed runner. You can't go one post without a ridiculous unforced error while trying to lay more insults on me for the sin of not completing a Zelda game?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

JawnV6 posted:

#1 speed run can't get through the fight and 12 related cutscenes in 3 minutes. I am not as good as that speed runner. You can't go one post without a ridiculous unforced error while trying to lay more insults on me for the sin of not completing a Zelda game?

It isn't a hard fight

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ProjektorBoy posted:

Idk, I always took that the same way as Navi leaving Link at the end of OoT. That and the fact that, ultimately, this isn't Link's home and world. Not necessarily that salvation was beyond Link himself, because that sorta goes with a lot of things when it comes to saving the world and you see all the other characters recover (like alttp or OoT). I can see how it's more apparent though, given Tatl being more clear in her personal goal throughout all of this.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ProjektorBoy posted:

We're then left with parting shots of a mourning Deku and the scrawlings of the Skull Kid on a tree stump. Surely drawn with regret and longing as he did on the trees towards the entrance of Woodfall. He liked to draw everyone he considered a friend. Even the four giants.

Wow Tatl what if Link wanted to go the carnival too?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I have fond memories of Death Mountain in Zelda 2 being such a huge stumbling block for everyone I knew as a kid. "I almost beat it!" "Nuh uh!" "Yeah huh, I got to the lizard things with axes!" gently caress those lizard things with axes

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ventana posted:

Idk, I always took that the same way as Navi leaving Link at the end of OoT. That and the fact that, ultimately, this isn't Link's home and world. Not necessarily that salvation was beyond Link himself, because that sorta goes with a lot of things when it comes to saving the world and you see all the other characters recover (like alttp or OoT). I can see how it's more apparent though, given Tatl being more clear in her personal goal throughout all of this.

Not "from that game" per se but isn't the undead teacher from Twilight Princess canonically the child Link from OOT who basically grows up a wanderer, exiled from his childhood home and friends, disconnected from all his achievements and friendships due to time fuckery, and ultimately dies alone and forgotten?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Not "from that game" per se but isn't the undead teacher from Twilight Princess canonically the child Link from OOT who basically grows up a wanderer, exiled from his childhood home and friends, disconnected from all his achievements and friendships due to time fuckery, and ultimately dies alone and forgotten?

It's a fan theory, but it's pretty solid and doesn't contradict anything canon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JawnV6 posted:

lol going and researching the precise times instead of taking my obvious meaning that the fight is not very long and very not hard. If you see me as the one making "unforced errors" I don't think we're playing by the same rules. In any case, once again, I agreed with you that the fight is not great and not necessary. If that's enough to make you not want to see the rest of a cool game then that's your call. I honestly don't give a single gently caress other than to write "lol" on the internet.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
hot take: I liked the imprisoned fights. I just didn't like a lot of other things about SS

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I don't think I heard that theory, but that might make a little sense. Though I thought if he had gotten lost in the lost woods, he'd have turned into a moblin like that other guy in OoT

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The thing that really got to me about Skyward Sword is how little exploring there was. You had the sky, which didn't have anything interesting, the dungeons, which were dungeons, and the overworld, which was dungeons. You didn't get any good changeup, or anywhere it felt like you were setting your own pace.

Add in Fi and the controls, well, quit halfway in. Haven't seen much that makes me regret the decision.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wow Tatl what if Link wanted to go the carnival too?

He went. He's playing with the Indigo-Gos in one of the ending scenes.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's a fan theory, but it's pretty solid and doesn't contradict anything canon.

Doesn't the Hyrule Historia outright say that yes it's the Hero of Time Link from OoT?

quote:

The spirit of Link's ancestor, the Hero of Time, teaches him his secrets. Ever since returning to the Child Era, the swordsman has lamented the fact that he was not remembered as a hero. This is the reason he passes down the proof of his courage and his secret techniques to the Link of this era, addressing him as "son".

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I wish star fragments were less of a pain in the rear end to come by. At least dragon parts are easy enough to camp for but star fragments are just :sigh:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
is there a number anyone knows offhand for how many you need for upgrading (just the vanilla game stuff not amiibos)

I'm trying to collect as I spot them vs having to farm them later in the game because it really is a pain in the rear end if you need a bunch all at once but I don't remember how many total I had to have

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
this been mentioned yet? in the new explorers edition book for botw, there's wording on pages near the back about the dlc which seem to suggest we're getting more dlc packs after champions ballard and that the expansion pass only covers the first two packs. its green and bolded that the expansion pass only covers "the FIRST TWO PACKS"

so, we're gonna get more or just badly worded?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Probably just language to make sure that if they do make more DLC packs that they won't have written themselves into a lie, but no guarantee that there will be more.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
We could always get more little tie ins like the Xenoblade stuff.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

Maybe if you intentionally avoid all the memories and Divine Beasts and don't bother to see the great story frozen in time around places like the wall it might have as minimal a story as Zelda2 I guess.

But there's a lot there if you aren't purposely avoiding it.

"Great story," lol

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I wish star fragments were less of a pain in the rear end to come by. At least dragon parts are easy enough to camp for but star fragments are just :sigh:

I hope you're not waiting for full moons. If you've got a view of the sky, a Star Fragment falls within your field of view pretty much every night. Still, up to seven minutes watching the skies is up to seven minutes you're not actively playing the game, so it does get a bit tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I’ve completed all four divine beasts, and want to start delving into Hyrule Castle for stronger gear and such. I’m still pretty bad at fighting guardians, any general tips for fighting them? And any tips in general for the castle? Any special items or things I should hunt for?

I have the Master Sword.