Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The road was plain inaccessible to non-carpoolers during rush hour before the toll. They added a variable toll that allows people to pay to get on but keeps traffic flowing.

On one hand, keeping public infrastructure available to all is a good thing. On the other hand, driving in a car alone is hugely wasteful and subsidized in all sorts of other ways. Things like tolls targeted at commuters in a hurry or congestion pricing in city cores encourage the use of public transportation while raising revenue for other infrastructure in a relatively reasonably targeted way.

Ding ding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Trump really is like a retarded cobra commander

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Your Battle Buddy posted:

he says piss instead of hiss

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Your Battle Buddy posted:

Nah, even a retarded Cobra Commander would still have charisma.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

FAUXTON posted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FAUXTON posted:

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Somehow I don't think changing the rules to allow more cars onto the same road that's already a parking lot, but only if you can pay an exorbitant fee, is going to solve the problem. Pretty sure that money isn't going to be spent to improve metro or build more lanes/roads, either.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

So every fee that doesn't scale based on income is regressive? Is the bus fare I pay regressive because we all pay the same amount?

Yes, but it's probably a minimal charge, and the bus fare isn't intended to keep you from using the bus.

FAUXTON posted:

I just laugh-wheezed, thanks a lot.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ZombieApostate posted:

Somehow I don't think changing the rules to allow more cars onto the same road that's already a parking lot, but only if you can pay an exorbitant fee, is going to solve the problem. Pretty sure that money isn't going to be spent to improve metro or build more lanes/roads, either.

So making driving cost more depending on the level of congestion won't influence people to use other transit modes, carpool or take their trips at different times? It's like this has never been tried anywhere at all before. :allears:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Yeah, ok, tolls are regressive, but so what? They're not a tax. They're a simple mechanism to encourage carpooling, regulate traffic, and thereby produce a host of nice effects like reduce the space wasted on parking lots in the city center and, hell, slow down climate change. The solution to traffic problems can't always be "add more lanes and parking garages." Yeah, poor people get disproportionately screwed, but that's hardly unique to tolls.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

at the date posted:

Yeah, ok, tolls are regressive, but so what? They're not a tax. They're a simple mechanism to encourage carpooling, regulate traffic, and thereby produce a host of nice effects like reduce the space wasted on parking lots in the city center and, hell, slow down climate change. The solution to traffic problems can't always be "add more lanes and parking garages." Yeah, poor people get disproportionately screwed, but that's hardly unique to tolls.

mass transit ain't just for the popemobile, hoss

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Leaving Erik Prince alive after this would be a mistake.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

at the date posted:

Yeah, ok, tolls are regressive, but so what?

Well, he's got my vote.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

would GUILLOTINES CURE ARISTOCRATS fit as a username

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

FAUXTON posted:

mass transit ain't just for the popemobile, hoss

The DC Metro runs parallel to 66 after Fairfax. If Joe Biden rides the train, so can everybody else.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

at the date posted:

The options need to exist and be usable first.

Do you think people would willingly sit in soul crushing traffic every day if the carpool or mass transit options were remotely viable?

I could take a bus, it would take 4 times longer and smell like human piss.

Like I bought up before, the DC metro is already having capacity and reliability issues.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

DoktorLoken posted:

So making driving cost more depending on the level of congestion won't influence people to use other transit modes, carpool or take their trips at different times? It's like this has never been tried anywhere at all before. :allears:

It's less of a disincentive than not being able to use the road during rush hour at all without carpooling, which was how it used to work. There's no real alternative road to take in that area. 50 and 29 are even worse because they have an endless string of traffic lights. I've never tried 123 because it doesn't really work with where I live, but I can't imagine it's any better. It might make sense in other places, but in this specific instance, it doesn't solve anything and probably makes the problem worse.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The road was plain inaccessible to non-carpoolers during rush hour before the toll. They added a variable toll that allows people to pay to get on but keeps traffic flowing.

On one hand, keeping public infrastructure available to all is a good thing. On the other hand, driving in a car alone is hugely wasteful and subsidized in all sorts of other ways. Things like tolls targeted at commuters in a hurry or congestion pricing in city cores encourage the use of public transportation while raising revenue for other infrastructure in a relatively reasonably targeted way.

i dont think there's any truly fair way to allocate the roadspace. is a toll the most fair way? idk probably. still sucks to be the guy who has to work a significant fraction of an hour or more each day just making enough money to pay the toll or spend a significantly greater portion of his day commuting to work.

the revenue generated is 100% just going to be plowed into more roads and maintaining existing roads. so...its not a real solution to anything. if you believe that this money is going anywhere other than that you're not from there. roads are a very contentious issue in virginia.

DoktorLoken posted:

other transit modes are kind of lovely and it used to be a car pool only road during rush hour.

i think the taking trips at different times is the funniest thing. this is an issue that could be mitigated if the various agencies could coordinate start/end times to not try and cram every single employee into the city/surrounding area at the exact same time. maybe they already do this and it isnt enforced? idk.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

at the date posted:

The DC Metro runs parallel to 66 after Fairfax. If Joe Biden rides the train, so can everybody else.

Yes, mass transit systems are how cities become large cities without burying everyone in exhaust fumes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fister Roboto posted:

would GUILLOTINES CURE ARISTOCRATS fit as a username

BARBERS CURE BOUGIES

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vains posted:

i think the taking trips at different times is the funniest thing. this is an issue that could be mitigated if the various agencies could coordinate start/end times to not try and cram every single employee into the city/surrounding area at the exact same time. maybe they already do this and it isnt enforced? idk.

Jesus Christ this. The productivity gains alone would be nuts.

Not to mention the additional jobs and revenue from other supporting businesses needing to add additional shifts to cover additional time open.

The old excuse of "the banks are closed" is basically bullshit when transactions are entirely electronic.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

at the date posted:

Not living in the DC area i'm unaware, but is the $35 only if youre a solo driver? If its nonlinear, say $10 for two passengers and free for anymore, with free single driver hours late at night, then it really will tend to force people to reduce congestion by carpooling and finding alternate transportation. More carpooling means lower traffic, lower traffic means you spend less time transiting, less time transiting means more time working or free time, and hence increased economic activity. Minimizing the amount of time people waste transiting really does have a noticeable and quick benefit. Think about how much time you save a year by order junk off amazon rather than traveling to a store to find and purchase it. Sure you're probably 'wasting' your money buying things that are unnecessary, (but thats irrelevant from an economic standpoint) but you're doing it faster

If in 4 years DC residents finally are mad enough about tolls to force congress (lol) and the city (lol) to fund improved mass transit then great. If however instead of putting that money to people moving infrastructure and just repeal it in 5 years, then its a net loss.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

Not living in the DC area i'm unaware, but is the $35 only if youre a solo driver? If its nonlinear, say $10 for two passengers and free for anymore, with free single driver hours late at night, then it really will tend to force people to reduce congestion by carpooling and finding alternate transportation. More carpooling means lower traffic, lower traffic means you spend less time transiting, less time transiting means more time working or free time, and hence increased economic activity. Minimizing the amount of time people waste transiting really does have a noticeable and quick benefit. Think about how much time you save a year by order junk off amazon rather than traveling to a store to find and purchase it. Sure you're probably 'wasting' your money buying things that are unnecessary, (but thats irrelevant from an economic standpoint) but you're doing it faster

If in 4 years DC residents finally are mad enough about tolls to force congress (lol) and the city (lol) to fund improved mass transit then great. If however instead of putting that money to people moving infrastructure and just repeal it in 5 years, then its a net loss.

My take away from the article was that it is free for 2 or more people an used to be a carpool only highway. So they now let you pay to drive on it by yourself, the worse the traffic is the more it ramps up. So at like 3am it costs you $3.50 but at peak it costs 35 bucks. It is recalculated on the fly every 6 minutes. Local people are salty because they are being allowed to pay to use something they couldn't use before but think they shouldn't be gouged for driving alone on a carpool highway. Something like that anyway.

E: Sorry, forgot something:

I have 5 years worth of living expenses in the pocket of my jeans and a 18 inck cock.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 5, 2017

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Local people are used to not using 66 during rush hour if you're not carpooling. This doesn't change anything. The reason I think it's bad instead of just whatever is thinking about who would be willing to drop $35 on a toll and the only answers I can come up with are the ultra rich and people desperate to get to work so they don't get fired for being late. I just don't think it does anything to make traffic better. I'd love to live in a public transport paradise, but this doesn't do anything to get us there.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I use the DC Metro every workday. It's fine for the most part. The new GM has been putting a shitload of effort into maintenance the last year, to the point where he's literally said 'don't ride metro then, but we've got to fix this'. My ontime rate according to the online thingie was 16% three years ago. It was 40% last year, and is 65% this year. With very few exceptions, I arrive within 5-7 minutes of my intended time.

DC has with the worst overall traffic in the country and there's very little real estate to work with to change that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MA-Horus posted:

The president of the United States and the GOP have officially endorsed a loving pedophile

The damage that is currently being done to your country is going to take decades to recover from.

It's not going to recover :ssh: that's the plan

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Let's see what Mr binders full of women has to say about Alabama's election

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/937799838082781186

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/938004658303459328

:siren: GET YO POPCORN READYYYYYYY :siren:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Oh man the Twitter making GBS threads is going to be fabulous today.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

at the date posted:

Not that I disagree with your underlying point, but Biden takes the Acela into DC, not the Metro.

Metro sucks in a lot of ways, but it's something and it gets me to work, and my commuter benefits have been keeping my rides free for seven years now, so I can't complain too much.

Honestly, the worst part about the metro is the other passengers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh its loving on.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

So every fee that doesn't scale based on income is regressive? Is the bus fare I pay regressive because we all pay the same amount?

Yes, yes it is regressive, dude. It fits the exact definition of it.

I know this may come as a shock to you, but some of us actually need to budget, like....individual dollars. $2.50 for a one way hurts to pay, when your poor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm OK with this. If we start pricing congestion at actual market rates we might actually get Americans behind building real mass transit systems in cities that aren't NYC, Chicago, Boston, D.C., etc.

This is before you get into the fact that these roads were still probably paid for with tax dollars, so they are charging you money to use a road you paid for already. If they want to charge and call it congestion charges, fine, but they should do it at a scale based on what you actually make, because $35, let alone $13 is a huge impact for low income people.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Binders always seemed way more out of touch and tone deaf than actively malignant, tbh. I still don't like the man but compared to the current crop uhhh

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orlbo9WkZ2E

there needs to be more songs about guillotines

PookBear fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 5, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

Yes, mass transit systems are how cities become large cities without burying everyone in exhaust fumes.

It's one thing that a large percentage of Americans can't seem to understand. Single occupancy vehicles into city centers are idiotic and shouldn't be encouraged; building the interstate system through cities instead of up to their periphery was one of the worst mistakes we've ever made as a country as it decimated cities and created unsustainable suburbs around them. Mass transit works literally everywhere else, but for some reason they think American cities are different.

quote:

This is before you get into the fact that these roads were still probably paid for with tax dollars, so they are charging you money to use a road you paid for already. If they want to charge and call it congestion charges, fine, but they should do it at a scale based on what you actually make, because $35, let alone $13 is a huge impact for low income people.

I get it, this sucks for the existing users stuck with it as their primary transit mode but we've got to start somewhere in transitioning to a rational place for urban transit. Really, of all American cities D.C. should be one of the easiest to retrofit as it's very dense and walkable on top of the already existing (albeit troubled) metro system.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 5, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DoktorLoken posted:

It's one thing that a large percentage of Americans can't seem to understand. Single occupancy vehicles into city centers are idiotic and shouldn't be encouraged; building the interstate system through cities instead of up to their periphery was one of the worst mistakes we've ever made as a country as it decimated cities and created unsustainable suburbs around them. Mass transit works literally everywhere else, but for some reason they think American cities are different.

Oh no, we all agree, Mass Transit is the ONLY solution.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

What the gently caress is happening on this planet that mitt loving Romney is the republican voice of reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Mitt came from Earth Prime, before the Trumpening. Yeah sure the guy's an emotionless empty suit stuffed full of mega donor cash but he's an Earth Prime emotionless empty suit. In the Hellfucker 2017 dimension that's halfway to saint hood by virtue of probably not wanting to actively dismantle the country and yard sale the components to Russia.

• Locked thread