Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

One thing I would like to see in a Batman Movie is drawing on the stuff where he does know that just beating these people up won’t solve anything so he, as Bruce Wayne, funds stuff like prisons, rehabilitation centres and systems and Arkham. Not that it works or anything but ignoring or forgetting that he does at least attempt to fight crime both as Batman me Bruce Wayne is always a shame, although not every version of the character does it so it’s not wrong.

Also I do want a Live Action Movie with the entire Batfamily because for a guy perceived as a Loner Batman has a massively extended group of allies and pseudo-children and only Batman and Robin even attempted to do anything with them as a plot for the movie as a whole.

Honestly if the Batman Movie is to be Ben Affleck’s last I could very much appreciate a plot about him having to pass on the mantle to one of the robins. He’s suggested to have had at least trained and lost Jason after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

also i can't believe i'm actually praising a jai courtney role but anyone talking about the good parts of suicide squad and not mentioning captain boomerang is a dingus

i remember my initial take on suicide squad being "against all odds, this movie needed more jai courtney"

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

josh04 posted:

Seeing Man of Steel as objectivist tract is a fairly essential miss. Superman cries after he kills Zod.
I've still yet to see someone make this argument convincing.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

The American military isn't the only military represented in MoS. Zod is literally a general.

While true, I speak specifically of the depiction of american military.
Still, I'd argue Zod, if anything, represents more a guerrilla military unit, or terrorist group, more than he does the leader of a foreign military, despite his rank.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

McCloud posted:

While true, I speak specifically of the depiction of american military.
Still, I'd argue Zod, if anything, represents more a guerrilla military unit, or terrorist group, more than he does the leader of a foreign military, despite his rank.

The reference to Zod is important though because he is a very crucial character that informs on the American military depiction. Krypton is Earths future and Superman has been sent from Krypton like a time traveller to stop Earth from suffering the same fate.

We open on scenes of Earth with a mining disaster immediately following a Krypton that collapsed from mining it’s own core. The climax of the film with The world engine is Superman literally stopping Earth from becoming Krypton. The point I’m getting at is that Earth is shown having many good traits that are redeemable but many tendencies that’ll lead to its own demise and if Krypton is Earths dark future then Zod is the logical endpoint of the US military.

This is why Zod is an important part of the film’s depiction of the army.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gorn Myson posted:

I've still yet to see someone make this argument convincing.

The five and a half hour director's cut made it a more compelling argument.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WampaLord posted:

"No more dead cops!"

"Things are worse than ever!"

The no more dead cops guy kills me as does the indignant hockey pants guy.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Will you have a colorized version of the cut as well? Would like both.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

bushisms.txt posted:

Will you have a colorized version of the cut as well? Would like both.

I don't think I would do a whole thing, but I am starting to wonder why I haven't done a "What if Man of Steel WASN'T in Color?" video yet.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Man of Steel's colour job is so subtle + good I'm not sure it'd add much.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

The reference to Zod is important though because he is a very crucial character that informs on the American military depiction. Krypton is Earths future and Superman has been sent from Krypton like a time traveller to stop Earth from suffering the same fate.

We open on scenes of Earth with a mining disaster immediately following a Krypton that collapsed from mining it’s own core. The climax of the film with The world engine is Superman literally stopping Earth from becoming Krypton. The point I’m getting at is that Earth is shown having many good traits that are redeemable but many tendencies that’ll lead to its own demise and if Krypton is Earths dark future then Zod is the logical endpoint of the US military.

This is why Zod is an important part of the film’s depiction of the army.

Krypton being earths future I got, but it never dawned on me how Zod related to earhts future, and the evolution of a future US military. It kinda ties in to how Faora is a dark reflection of that stabby guy, the good traits of the US military are embodied by the good guys, but conversely the darker sides are shown in Zod and co. Great post!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've seen MoS 3 or 4 times now and honestly don't get the problem people have with it (tornado scene notwithstanding). I recently re-watched parts of Donner's films too and I love those also but for different reasons. I have my fair share of complaints about them as well though and they're hardly perfect.

I see MoS as essentially "Superman Begins" and I think that sort of contributed to a lot of BvS problems since we never got enough of the Reeve's flavor or get to see him comfortable in his role as a hero. The conclusion of MoS is basically "NOW he's Superman". He's chosen his path and made up his mind, etc.

Then they kill him in the next movie.

Aside from Nolan's trilogy, MoS is my favorite Dc movie.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The five and a half hour director's cut made it a more compelling argument.
It wasn't an argument to begin with. It was "Snyder said in an interview that he wants to direct a Fountainhead movie, therefore all his movies are objectivist".

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

BiggerBoat posted:

I've seen MoS 3 or 4 times now and honestly don't get the problem people have with it (tornado scene notwithstanding). I recently re-watched parts of Donner's films too and I love those also but for different reasons. I have my fair share of complaints about them as well though and they're hardly perfect.

I see MoS as essentially "Superman Begins" and I think that sort of contributed to a lot of BvS problems since we never got enough of the Reeve's flavor or get to see him comfortable in his role as a hero. The conclusion of MoS is basically "NOW he's Superman". He's chosen his path and made up his mind, etc.

I don't know that making an entire movie out of that status quo would have helped. I think the few scenes of saving astronauts, sailors, flood victims etc made the point pretty well.

Wait no, I've changed my mind: Lois and Clark romcom. Fully traditional plot but instead of whatever bullshit implausible job romcom leads usually have he's just Superman. That relationship could stand a bit of time to breathe between initial attraction and marriage/death.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gorn Myson posted:

It wasn't an argument to begin with. It was "Snyder said in an interview that he wants to direct a Fountainhead movie, therefore all his movies are objectivist".

It was a galtse joke

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/938042124188123137

"World's largest Jared Leto statue"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh man I don't know how I feel about that. It was only a couple of hours ago that I was making a post saying "Hey remember when they were doing all those weird promo things for Suicide Squad like giving away free tattoos at a convention? Wasn't that weird??"

I guess it's a thing now? :shrug:

On the other hand there sure are a lot of people out there with Harley Quinn tattoos and I guess there's a whole bunch with Deadpool tattoos so it kind've makes sense that the studios would roll with it ...

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

TetsuoTW posted:

The American military isn't the only military represented in MoS. Zod is literally a general.

Don't forget the two canadian dudes with horrible OPSEC!!!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

If anything, that's my biggest complaint. The pressure to introduce Batman and the rest didn't give this iteration of Superman a chance to breathe. Giving him a second movie of his own where he can establish himself a bit would make his death more impactful, and also create a little bit more room for the movie to breathe.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

garycoleisgod posted:

Not specific to FoldingIdeas, but I have noticed when people think things are bad they assume those things/people hold the properties of other things they think are bad.

For example, some think MoS is bad. They might also think fascism is bad. A = A, so therefore MoS is fascist. They might also (rightly) think Objectivism is bad, so MoS is Objectivist. MoS's actual content doesn't matter. If you watched the RedLetterMedia review of MoS, Superman destroying the drone is greeted with horror and terror. Standing up to drone warfare is seen as bad, as Superman being a dictator. Why would you align yourself WITH drones? Superman made them uncomfortable, so everything he does is sinister.

Likewise if you go to the Internet Media Personality thread in RGD, they assume everyone in CD who likes DC films must be a Gamergator. Why? Well DC films are bad, GG is bad. A = A. If you like DC films, you're a Gamergator, your actual opinions don't matter.

quote:

"I've always felt like The Fountainhead was such a thesis on the creative process and what it is to create something," Snyder says. "Warner Bros. owns [Ayn Rand’s] script and I’ve just been working on that a little bit."

This might be where the objectivist talk is coming from.

edit: I honestly would love to see this, because there's gonna be so much unintentional insanity. Fountainhead is a loving insane piece of propaganda.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The no more dead cops guy kills me as does the indignant hockey pants guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPP6XAsPbz8

He ranks up there in the extra pantheon with the guy who salutes super hard at the end of Pullman's speech in Independence Day.

I love this guy so much. I can practically hear Roland Emmerich going "No, salute HARDER, dammit!"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Disney and Twenty-First Century Fox are closing in on a deal, and it could come as soon as next week, according to sources familiar with the matter.

CNBC has been reporting that Disney has held talks with the Rupert Murdoch-controlled media company to acquire its studio and television production assets, leaving Fox with its news and sports assets. Fox is also talking with CNBC parent company Comcast, but the talks with Disney have progressed more significantly.

The deal contemplates the sale of Fox's Nat Geo, Star, regional sports networks, movie studios and stakes in Sky and Hulu, among other properties. What would remain at Fox includes its news and business news divisions, broadcast network and Fox sports.

The enterprise value of the Fox assets in the Disney deal is seen as above $60 billion, according to sources. Current Fox shareholders would get one share of the Fox company that remains after the movie and television assets are sold plus shares of Disney in a fixed exchange ratio.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/05/disney-and-fox-are-closing-in-on-deal-could-be-announced-next-week--sources.html

Welp

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Counting down until someone says "Disney can now release an non SE Star Wars!"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Counting down until someone says "Disney can now release an non SE Star Wars!"

already been said in the star wars thread

overall, this news is just tiresome

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Serf posted:

already been said in the star wars thread

overall, this news is just tiresome

So they stopped talking about Ewoks Porgs?

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

That trainyard helping convey the look of a motorpool/Army base is really great mise en scène. Especially when you combine it with the "even" sign. The casting for the Kryptonian soldiers is great too, since you see here a visual equivocation with Faora and our Iraqi Soldier. Remember these are the fascists explicitly speaking their language about rejecting "morality", and the ghoul Joseph Mengele checking Kal-El's blood for stuff (maybe even for the Codex, too) in his very evil German sounding accent.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Monopolies are bad, but anything that gets Rupert Murdoch further and further from any significance is good. Hard call.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Monopolies are extremely bad.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Rupert is bad

Disney with his assets is worse

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Well I guess one solution to the issue of public domain is for Disney to just literally own everything and totally murder the entire concept.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Shageletic posted:

This might be where the objectivist talk is coming from.

edit: I honestly would love to see this, because there's gonna be so much unintentional insanity. Fountainhead is a loving insane piece of propaganda.

Yeah, but what about MoS is Objectivist? The movies content is the opposite of that.

Also, that Snyder quote is really telling after what happened with Justice League. Maybe Snyder feels he is entitled to destroy the film rather thsn let others gently caress with it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Am I misremembering that Snyder originally wanted to do MoS2 before a teamup but WB pushed for a Batman appearance?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MacheteZombie posted:

Am I misremembering that Snyder originally wanted to do MoS2 before a teamup but WB pushed for a Batman appearance?

No, Snyder suggested Batman and then got obsessed with the idea. He originally thought about having a post-credits stinger in MoS where Kryptonite was being delivered to the Wayne mansion, but Nolan talked him out of it. I'll source both these facts when I have a chance.

edit: kryptonite to wayne manor and Snyder admitting "once you say [Batman] out loud you can't unsay it": https://moviepilot.com/posts/3355065

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 5, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Snyder's probably not an objectivist, since he's a Xian fundamentalist nationalist, but I don't think it's crazy to see some of those themes in Man of S. I mean they make a ton of fuss about how Kal-El is a free agent who can choose his own destiny (unlike all those other Kryptonian pod people losers) and will shape of the future of the Earth because of how powerful and inherently amazing he is. Even his dad can beat up General Zod because he's a Free Individual Man who doesn't believe in the caste system.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Caste systems that turn people into hyperviolent, repressed drones are bad = nationalism?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Calling Snyder an objectivist is like trying to claim that The Incredibles is objectivist, a shallow reading that belies how bad critical conversation has gotten.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Having seen both films multiple times, not a single thing points to him being a Xian fundamentalist. I took a looksee to see what their core tenants are. None of them remotely match up in his works.

How is it that this narrative surrounded Zack Snyder in the first place? People and critics just regurgitate it verbatim without looking at it critically or where it originated from. How many people came out of Star Wars wondered of the religious and political believes George Lucas has? Nerds are the loving worse.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 5, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, Objectivism doesn't have any sort of claim over individualism or personal liberty, which are fundamental ideals of lots of different value systems. The question is what those ideals actually mean within that value system. None of the distinctive, identifying features of Objectivism, like individualism and personal liberty being specifically embodied by laissez-faire capitalism and disregard for the welfare of others is present in any of Snyder's works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I think it should be considered impossible for an artistic work to be "implicitly" or "subtextually" Objectivist. Like, Objectivism itself does not allow for things like subtext. It's an ethical framework where you are only allowed to communicate in hyperbolic essay-length monologues and anything else is like, "emotional banditry" or some poo poo.

e: I think the reason people say dumb poo poo like "MoS is an Objectivist movie"---or rather the reason it started is somebody thought Objectivist was a synonym for "heartless; anti-altruistic;" they read things like Pa Kent refusing to let his son save his life, Superman failing to save literally everyone etc. as the movie arguing those things would be wrong. But the reason it stuck and became a meme is all the really good spank shots of architecture and muscular dudes; people were like "oh yeah, columns and abs, that's like, totally Objectivism"

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 5, 2017

• Locked thread