Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
A pair of 22" walleyes from tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

Beautiful Walleyes

I am so loving jealous of you.

No fishing this weekend, but I talked trout with my dad and he suggested that I try a fly with a casting bubble on my ultralight spinning gear. I guess I need some flies.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I am so loving jealous of you.

No fishing this weekend, but I talked trout with my dad and he suggested that I try a fly with a casting bubble on my ultralight spinning gear. I guess I need some flies.

I need to get away from being stuck fishing one type of fish though. Some trout or salmon would make for some fun.

I had an old guy harass me at the docks yesterday morning for dumping my cleaned fish into the river flow. Said he's seen me do it a bunch, and I'm lucky a Conservation Officer hasn't seen me.

Called the Ministry of Natural Resources a bit later in the day and got their answer on it. It's written you're allowed to clean fish on a boat and dump the remains into the water, so the same is allowed from shore.

Went to the dock this morning and the same old guy was there. Told him the proper info so he can stop spreading lies. :colbert:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Sockington posted:

I need to get away from being stuck fishing one type of fish though. Some trout or salmon would make for some fun.

I had an old guy harass me at the docks yesterday morning for dumping my cleaned fish into the river flow. Said he's seen me do it a bunch, and I'm lucky a Conservation Officer hasn't seen me.

Called the Ministry of Natural Resources a bit later in the day and got their answer on it. It's written you're allowed to clean fish on a boat and dump the remains into the water, so the same is allowed from shore.

Went to the dock this morning and the same old guy was there. Told him the proper info so he can stop spreading lies. :colbert:

There’s always going to be “that guy” when you’re out. They disapprove of what you’re doing, or how you’re fishing, and they try to bully you into doing it “their way.”

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gamera009 posted:

There’s always going to be “that guy” when you’re out. They disapprove of what you’re doing, or how you’re fishing, and they try to bully you into doing it “their way.”

gently caress, no kidding. I hope that he quits bothering you, and at least you can tell him to gently caress off and take it up with the authorities.

Sockington posted:

I feel that, but if they're in season and they're biting it doesn't hurt to fill the freezer. Trout aren't cooperating much right now (for me). What are your trout and salmon opportunities like up there? Any opportunity to fish for pike or muskie?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

gently caress, no kidding. I hope that he quits bothering you, and at least you can tell him to gently caress off and take it up with the authorities.

I feel that, but if they're in season and they're biting it doesn't hurt to fill the freezer. Trout aren't cooperating much right now (for me). What are your trout and salmon opportunities like up there? Any opportunity to fish for pike or muskie?

I live next to the St. Clair River as it leaves Lake Huron. There's a trout and salmon hatchery right there as well as some of the only spawning grounds for Lake Sturgeon in Ontario.

I never liked fishing growing up, but it turns out I live next to a fishing paradise.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

drat dude, you need to round up your friend with the boat and get to trolling immediately! So that's Atlantic Salmon, I'm guessing?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Some pics from the local river from FishBrain

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

gamera009 posted:

Or they're pissed off that you're catching fish and they aren't

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:f5: :canada:

Dude you have to catch some crazy dinosaur fish after you troll your trout limit. That's really cool. If you don't have a smoker already it is definitely time to invest.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

:f5: :canada:

Dude you have to catch some crazy dinosaur fish after you troll your trout limit. That's really cool. If you don't have a smoker already it is definitely time to invest.

Most places in Ontario, there is no season for Sturgeon.
They're caught some times in the Lower Niagara River, but you're not supposed to target them.

gently caress, I'm going to be in Niagara this weekend, I need to get out to the river and do some bottom bouncing.

NOT for Sturgeon.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Most places in Ontario, there is no season for Sturgeon.
They're caught some times in the Lower Niagara River, but you're not supposed to target them.

gently caress, I'm going to be in Niagara this weekend, I need to get out to the river and do some bottom bouncing.

NOT for Sturgeon.

Exactly this. We bottom bounce with worms for walleye and that can be the right combo for one. I've never caught one, but they are definitely out there.

I've also heard some Burbot/lingcod can be caught in my area. Makes me sort of excited for winter ice fishing to see if I can pull any from our huge shallow bay.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sockington posted:

Exactly this. We bottom bounce with worms for walleye and that can be the right combo for one. I've never caught one, but they are definitely out there.

I've also heard some Burbot/lingcod can be caught in my area. Makes me sort of excited for winter ice fishing to see if I can pull any from our huge shallow bay.

Burbot. Ling is an east coast-euro Atlantic fish. Lingcod is a pacific monster.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Burbot. Ling is an east coast-euro Atlantic fish. Lingcod is a pacific monster.

Will you please tell us about catching lingcod? Lingcod is on my 2018 bucket list and is another reason why I love the Pacific Northwest.

There is a season for White Sturgeon in Washington, but you're not supposed to target Green Sturgeon.

Sockington posted:

Formally requesting ice fishing pics and stories when you go.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Not much to it. Find a pile of rocks on the west coast. Send anything down that vaguely looks like it could fit in their mouth and if they are hungry (they are always hungry) they will smash it.
They also are known for attacking anything already hooked and struggling so often we call them Hitchhikers. Gotta be handy with a net because too much light or breaking the surface and they let go.
Personally I prefer a 10oz chrome bar on 30lb+ braid with a bronze treble hook cut down to two. You yo-yo it off the structure making sure it clinks and clanks. The bronze hooks are strong enough to hold in them but weak enough to straighten out if you snag a rock.
Occasionally a halibut will ruin your day by snagging your gear and getting hung up in structure really bad. I've managed to get a few by letting the line slack for a few seconds tricking them into coming out of the structure. To help with this I put a teaser hook with a grub about 12 inches up the leader. They are so dumb if they will hit the grub even with the bar hanging off their lip.
Fantastic eating fish, lots of fun to catch on light gear when hooked but kinda of boring when a "hitchhiker". They don't even know something's wrong and sometimes just float up instead of struggling.

If I'm in town this summer I'll be going out of West Port to fish for them.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
That lake from the video I linked up there is stocking the day before my birthday, guess I know where I'm going! Hopefully on a Thursday morning it won't be crowded. The other trout lake I want to hit up stocked this week too, I might head out there this weekend. Possible trouts to post soon! I've been dying to get my new ultra light out and see how it does.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Not much to it. Find a pile of rocks on the west coast. Send anything down that vaguely looks like it could fit in their mouth and if they are hungry (they are always hungry) they will smash it.
They also are known for attacking anything already hooked and struggling so often we call them Hitchhikers. Gotta be handy with a net because too much light or breaking the surface and they let go.
Personally I prefer a 10oz chrome bar on 30lb+ braid with a bronze treble hook cut down to two. You yo-yo it off the structure making sure it clinks and clanks. The bronze hooks are strong enough to hold in them but weak enough to straighten out if you snag a rock.
Occasionally a halibut will ruin your day by snagging your gear and getting hung up in structure really bad. I've managed to get a few by letting the line slack for a few seconds tricking them into coming out of the structure. To help with this I put a teaser hook with a grub about 12 inches up the leader. They are so dumb if they will hit the grub even with the bar hanging off their lip.
Fantastic eating fish, lots of fun to catch on light gear when hooked but kinda of boring when a "hitchhiker". They don't even know something's wrong and sometimes just float up instead of struggling.

If I'm in town this summer I'll be going out of West Port to fish for them.

Thank you for this. I'd love to catch some, but would prefer not to pay for a charter boat. I've been spending most of time time on the coast around Ocean City, but I've been meaning to get back to Westport to throw a crab pot off the pier while I fish. Let me know if you ever want to meet up out there.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

That lake from the video I linked up there is stocking the day before my birthday, guess I know where I'm going! Hopefully on a Thursday morning it won't be crowded. The other trout lake I want to hit up stocked this week too, I might head out there this weekend. Possible trouts to post soon! I've been dying to get my new ultra light out and see how it does.

Plan to go as early as you can, and go a bit earlier than that. I know it's warmer there than it is here, but it seems like the morning bite ends by 7:30-8:00am around here. I'm probably not the best trout authority to listen to lately, but all of the local reports I've been reading say that the action trails off drastically after that. Happy birthday, and I hope that your new gear serves you well!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Charters can be pretty cost efficient with a limit of lingcod and rockfish.

Gonna chase lingcod in the sound this summer but the season is super short.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I enjoy that there are separate lingcod seasons for hook & line and spearfishing in the Sound.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Possibly. In CA skin diving is the same as fishing from shore. Lingcod can be taken from shore year round. It's hella dangerous though. Some guy got smashed by a great white very recently.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sockington posted:

I'm talking for Rainbows and Browns actually, but gently caress yeah none the less. poo poo I should probably check the regs. Season might be done for them.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Plan to go as early as you can, and go a bit earlier than that. I know it's warmer there than it is here, but it seems like the morning bite ends by 7:30-8:00am around here. I'm probably not the best trout authority to listen to lately, but all of the local reports I've been reading say that the action trails off drastically after that. Happy birthday, and I hope that your new gear serves you well!

Shouldn't be a problem as I'm usually at the lake by 6 when I go fishing. I get so excited before bed that I can't sleep, lol. Up at 5, throw my gear in the car along with the ice chest, hit McDonalds for a McMuffin and coffee and then I get on my way.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Shouldn't be a problem as I'm usually at the lake by 6 when I go fishing. I get so excited before bed that I can't sleep, lol. Up at 5, throw my gear in the car along with the ice chest, hit McDonalds for a McMuffin and coffee and then I get on my way.

I used to insist on getting gas station coffee before fishing, but I've gotten into the habit of bringing a thermos with me now. I hate running out of coffee when I still want more.

I hope you find time to get out this weekend! I want to see some drat trout, even if they aren't mine.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I used to insist on getting gas station coffee before fishing, but I've gotten into the habit of bringing a thermos with me now. I hate running out of coffee when I still want more.

I hope you find time to get out this weekend! I want to see some drat trout, even if they aren't mine.

I also love gas station coffee, but if I don't force myself to eat something in the morning I regret it heavily come 10 AM when I start to get all dramatically hungry. I'mma do my best to catch a trout, just for you PoK!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Went down for an after work fish, hoping to get a few squid. Something smashed a metal slug my friend was spinning with and next minute it was on for young and old with salmon smashing lures on the surface and jumping everywhere. Probably one of the best land based sessions I've had.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

I also love gas station coffee, but if I don't force myself to eat something in the morning I regret it heavily come 10 AM when I start to get all dramatically hungry. I'mma do my best to catch a trout, just for you PoK!

Drink entirely too much gas station coffee it's one of the best parts of fishing. Except when I forget I'm going to really popular suburban park in winter where there is no real tree cover to relieve myself.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

Drink entirely too much gas station coffee it's one of the best parts of fishing. Except when I forget I'm going to really popular suburban park in winter where there is no real tree cover to relieve myself.

Winter sucks for that with cold hands too. I'm a big fan of "kneeling on the back of the bass boat and holding on to the motor" during summer days.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

Winter sucks for that with cold hands too. I'm a big fan of "kneeling on the back of the bass boat and holding on to the motor" during summer days.

Yesterday I almost pissed my pants. I wore some dum undies w/o a fly, then a baselayer, then pants. I forgot the no fly thing and spent a few increasingly frantic seconds looking for it before I remembered.

In other news,

I took a chance and bought an MB Hyuga 72H. It's rated from 3/4-4oz, but seems like it tops out around 3oz, but will load and cast a 1/2 frog. I now have casting combos that will throw from 1/16oz up to 3oz, which I think covers any reasonable bass fishing scenario. I kinda know how Alexander felt now :(

I am heading out in a bit to head to my current "usual" pond. There were a couple of bruisers stacked up right on the bank yesterday but they were not at all into the big baits I had with me. I am going back with some jigs and senkos, it;s going to be slow as hell, but I am determined to catch one.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:bisonyes: This is incredible. Fishing in Australia looks fantastic, and you are very good at pulling them in. Are these an Australian type of salmon? Is there a limit? I want to fillet and smoke all of these.

joem83 posted:

:bustem:

bongwizzard posted:

I now have casting combos that will throw from 1/16oz up to 3oz, which I think covers any reasonable bass fishing scenario. I kinda know how Alexander felt now :(

You now have the best tools, now go get the bass. Or add a target quarry? Maybe get weird with it?

When my buddy and I were trolling for trout in a canoe a couple of weeks ago, we decided that it was one of the situations in life when a piss jug is not only acceptable, but necessary and welcomed. Also, since it's winter for most of us in the thread and cold hands were mentioned, I wanted to mention these gloves:

They work well and I keep an extra pair for people I take fishing. These gloves are definitely a gem, but as with all things imported from China, ignore the sizing labels (XL, XXL, etc) and order based on the sizing chart that they have in the item description. gently caress, I should really get around to making my AliExpress/eBay imports effortpost.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

this need to be a smiley

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

I am heading out in a bit to head to my current "usual" pond. There were a couple of bruisers stacked up right on the bank yesterday but they were not at all into the big baits I had with me. I am going back with some jigs and senkos, it;s going to be slow as hell, but I am determined to catch one.

It was beyond slow. I didn't even see a bass all day. I did one lap with a jig, one with a kut-tail, and then busted out the Ned. This was all that happened;

Urge to liveline that trout was almost overpowering.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I know that you subscribe to a pretty strict catch and release philosophy, but even so you should have eaten that trout out of spite.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

I just want to vent that I haven't caught anything in a cool god drat minute.

I walk down to the lake a few times a week after work for an hour before sunset and I'm just getting skunked. I've seen a few people catch bass on crankbaits but I'm not a big fan of how treble hooks just tear a fish to pieces, especially when there's two or three of the on a lure. I'm going to keep at it with my dropshot worms and texas rigs.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

I just want to vent that I haven't caught anything in a cool god drat minute.

I walk down to the lake a few times a week after work for an hour before sunset and I'm just getting skunked. I've seen a few people catch bass on crankbaits but I'm not a big fan of how treble hooks just tear a fish to pieces, especially when there's two or three of the on a lure. I'm going to keep at it with my dropshot worms and texas rigs.

Dude, vent away and :justpost:. Being skunked loving sucks and we have all been there. Winter fishing is hard-going, and that seems to be especially true for bass. In late September I had a bass on with every cast at my local lake, and now bass won't hit for love or money. Are there any local places to catch fish that are more active in winter? Switching up your quarry might help break your skunk.

Also, you can usually remove the treble hook from the split ring that connects it to the lure and replace it with the hook of your choice. People do it all the time for salmon here. If you have some snips you could cut off the other two hooks on a treble, too.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Any idea what the bass are eating in your lake right now? The reports I've been reading on my local fishing forum usually talk about how the bass are keyed in on specific bait and if you're not matching the hatch so to speak, no dice. It's been all jerkbaits and flukes at my local lake because they're munching on baitfish.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Any idea what the bass are eating in your lake right now? The reports I've been reading on my local fishing forum usually talk about how the bass are keyed in on specific bait and if you're not matching the hatch so to speak, no dice. It's been all jerkbaits and flukes at my local lake because they're munching on baitfish.

Couldn't say what they're biting on in my lake, other than definitely not Ned rigs.

So next weekend my buddy and I are trying to take the canoe trolling again. He got an electric trolling motor to put on the back of the canoe so we can fish longer without getting tired. We just checked boat registration laws, and any vessel under 16' with a motor under 10hp is exempt from registration. The canoe is 17'. :suicide:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

:bisonyes: This is incredible. Fishing in Australia looks fantastic, and you are very good at pulling them in. Are these an Australian type of salmon? Is there a limit? I want to fillet and smoke all of these.

:bustem:

They aren't actually salmon, the colonists had a habit of naming completely unrelated species after the familiar European species they vaguely resembled. They are pretty good smoked, you need to bleed them and cut out any red meat though or they taste like they've been left in the sun on a hot day

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

One of my fav parts of going on a fishing day, is the night before when I sort through all my stuff and decide what to bring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

One of my fav parts of going on a fishing day, is the night before when I sort through all my stuff and decide what to bring.

Yea. It's the "clean it all up after" part that I struggle with.