Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Significant Ant posted:

Can someone, very briefly, please explain to my why TCM is still a thing in China?

Imagine if, separate from internationally recognized evidence-based medicine, there was a kind of medicine that was called “American Traditional Medicine” that was based on old wives’ tales. Now imagine that other countries tried to tell America that ATM was bullshit. How prevalent do you think it would be? If you answered “all over the place and widely believed in” then congratulations, you understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

To expand slightly, TCM had been on the outs and the Nationalists even started banning it as primitive superstition unworthy of existence in the new modern China, but after Mao there weren't any doctors left whoops so they had to come up with some bullshit and revived TCM.

It's not exclusively this, as it's still very much alive in other Sinosphere countries that did not have a CCP, but it is much less pervasive. Korea is what I'm thinking of, they def have crazy rear end traditional medicine poo poo (only it is, of course, Korean Traditional Medicine NOTHING TO DO WITH CHINA PLEASE) but it's not as in your face. People's individual medical beliefs are loving insane just like China but if you go to an actual doctor you get actual medicine instead of cockroach powder, you don't have to go shopping around for modern medical science.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

To expand slightly, TCM had been on the outs and the Nationalists even started banning it as primitive if you go to an actual doctor you get actual medicine instead of cockroach powder, you don't have to go shopping around for modern medical science.

this is 100% because of the American (and Russian) occupations. The first real Korean doctors were all trained by the US (and soviet) military.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

The CCP also just about jerked themselves raw a few years ago when a Chinese doctor won the Nobel Prize in Medicine for helping to develop a malaria drug that was loosely based on a TCM folk remedy. Massive face gain aside, they took it as lock stock and barrel validation of TCM by the international community (but please don't ask us about Liu Xiaobo's Nobel Peace Prize thankyouverymuch).

The difference being IIRC they isolated the one compound in the stew of crap that actually had a bit of an effect, ran scientific clinical trials, and then synthesized a drug that had the same effect only much, much stronger. Whereas true TCM believers will handwave away the entire concept of the scientific method and clinical trials because its effects can't be measured that way something something. :jerkbag:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Also Chinese bodies are just different from Western ones and thus need different kind of medicine, of course you wouldn't understand.

The really infuriating part is that it's bullshit like this that has made otherwise sane people I know to start referring to "Western medicine" as if there was a plethora of actually reputable culturally different approaches to medical science that you can just pick and choose from. When I remind them that there is just medical science, period, and what little in TCM/Ayurveda/whatevs actually works can be better explained and corroborated by actual scientific methods, I get flustered looks and accusations of racism. gently caress you, CCP and TCM, for making us all collectively dumber.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Known Lecher posted:

The difference being IIRC they isolated the one compound in the stew of crap that actually had a bit of an effect, ran scientific clinical trials, and then synthesized a drug that had the same effect only much, much stronger.

Yep. There was a plant in the traditional herbal pharmacopoeia which contained an effective anti-malarial chemical, and it was isolated and used. The thing is that TCM is this entire system of magical bullshit. What that scientist did was go through a number of old herbal remedies, scientifically testing them to see if there were actual effective medicines in there. That chemical worked and was researched and used in proper, controlled medical trials. Hence, medicine. This is how all real medicine works. Nobody denies the concept that there are naturally occurring medical chemicals, plenty of the real medicine we use is derived from plants and fungi and stuff. The point is it is done scientifically and systematically, which makes it medicine. TCM is sympathetic magic.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Known Lecher posted:

The difference being IIRC they isolated the one compound in the stew of crap that actually had a bit of an effect, ran scientific clinical trials, and then synthesized a drug that had the same effect only much, much stronger.

That's how meth came about. A Japanese chemist investigating TCM herbs isolated ephedrine from ma huang and then later created methamphetamine from ephedrine.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

big time bisexual posted:

That's how meth came about. A Japanese chemist investigating TCM herbs isolated ephedrine from ma huang and then later created methamphetamine from ephedrine.

no poo poo. I always thought the nazis invented it.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

ladron posted:

no poo poo. I always thought the nazis invented it.

A German chemical concern patented an easy way if making it via red phosphorus and iodine. They were already selling it before the Nazis came to power, but Hitler thought it was the bee's knees and it's use was prevalent in all parts of German society during Nazi rule

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And amphetamine and methamphetamine were both commonly used during the war by airmen (on both sides) so they could stay awake and alert during long missions.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
far better than WW1 where the pilots were given a bottle of gin or brandy to counteract the laxative effect of the castor oil propeller lubricant being sprayed in their faces

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Collateral Damage posted:

And amphetamine and methamphetamine were both commonly used during the war by airmen (on both sides) so they could stay awake and alert during long missions.

During the blitzkrieg through the low countries and France, some panzer divisions advanced pretty much a month straight without stopping long for sleep. This allowed them to surround retreating French troops who did have to sleep.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

far better than WW1 where the pilots were given a bottle of gin or brandy to counteract the laxative effect of the castor oil propeller lubricant being sprayed in their faces

Both the Red Baron and Albert Ball were so successful, in part, because they refused the liquor and always flew with a full load of poo poo in their britches.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So as part of work, I get tons of unsolicited emails from factories in China. They usually start pretty respectfully, but lately it feels like they've been hiring edgy teenagers to write their cold-call emails. I'm use to being addressed as "dear sir" or often just "dear," but that I can chalk up to language barriers. "Hello friend" is another one that toes the line, but I get it. But sometimes:

quote:

Hey guy,

We offer all kinds of aluminum products,such as aluminum sheet,aluminum coil,

aluminum cherker plate,color coated aluminum sheet ect.exporting aluminum products

with good quality and low price in America,Dubai,Canada,Hong Kong ect.

Call me,let's talk details.

Rgds,
Hailey

quote:

Hello Buddy ,

I know you are on the PCB market and also you are afraid of China PCB quality .. But Yaxinda here can help you clear you puzzle ,
We can built the PCB with low price and perfect quality ..
Hope you can try some .

Thanks
Tony

Like, I'm way too lazy to respond and try to explain to them why opening an email for potential business relationships with "hey guy" isn't great, but it's starting to get a little silly

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Dear Contracts

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

So as part of work, I get tons of unsolicited emails from factories in China. They usually start pretty respectfully, but lately it feels like they've been hiring edgy teenagers to write their cold-call emails. I'm use to being addressed as "dear sir" or often just "dear," but that I can chalk up to language barriers. "Hello friend" is another one that toes the line, but I get it. But sometimes:

Like, I'm way too lazy to respond and try to explain to them why opening an email for potential business relationships with "hey guy" isn't great, but it's starting to get a little silly

I read those two emails with the voice of Terrance and Philip from South Park.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

Imagine if, separate from internationally recognized evidence-based medicine, there was a kind of medicine that was called “American Traditional Medicine” that was based on old wives’ tales. Now imagine that other countries tried to tell America that ATM was bullshit. How prevalent do you think it would be? If you answered “all over the place and widely believed in” then congratulations, you understand.

But like we have/had that? At least the Appalachian region produced a pretty widespread folk medicine culture.

Now they have modernized and just treat everything with ground up Oxy.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

lmao at all of this blood poo poo

like yeah you feel kinda tired afterward and maybe the next day and then you get the gently caress over it it's not a big deal. body makes more blood literally constantly.
China is like Anemia Central. Everyone has it. It explains one reason why they are so lethargic and napping all the time. They get a papercut and they are passed out on the desk for a few hours.

BexGu posted:

LOL

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

BexGu posted:

they did list canada

should reply with: i’m not your buddy guy

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Usually I just ask them not to bug us anymore and mostly they do stop. The "hello Buddy" one sent me back an email asking me why I wanted him to stop emailing us, and I had a whole rant written out about how you don't cold-call people with "buddy" and how I don't need to justify a do not contact email, then I deleted it and just blacklisted his domain on the server Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

About me: A genderqueer feminist, born in China with male body and grew up here.

As a extremism socially conservative place, there are very few feminists in China, and most of them are collage students. Authorities don't like us, they prohibit any forms of non-profit organization. Gender equality and human right are not a common sense here, and it is painful to live as a feminist.

There are a feminism association named "Vagina Project" in Beijing, and most of their members are from top universities like Tsinghua/PKU/RUC...I tried to participate and joining them, and I felt hard to debate with them, because they are far more conservative than I am.

For example, many of them don't accept the social construction theory of gender, they think masculinity-femininity is decided by sex genes, and educate a boy to be masculinity or so on is justified or discussible, and they will debate it publicly few days later. When I criticize them for biological determinism and anti-feminism, they feel offended by me, and assert I'm too radical.

In China, most of people believe that as a girl, the "virgin" is valuable, and it should be "give" to your lover. I think this culture tradition is pure evil, and it should absolutely be abolished. But they think it is discussible, and they has been debated about it publicly many times.

They feel offended by me, and assert I don't respect their opinions. But I think there should be some basic values of feminism, and it should not be declined. They blacklisted my WeChat account, and will reject my apply of joining.
It's good to see a feel good story coming out of this thread every now and then, thanks dude

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. There was a plant in the traditional herbal pharmacopoeia which contained an effective anti-malarial chemical, and it was isolated and used. The thing is that TCM is this entire system of magical bullshit. What that scientist did was go through a number of old herbal remedies, scientifically testing them to see if there were actual effective medicines in there. That chemical worked and was researched and used in proper, controlled medical trials. Hence, medicine. This is how all real medicine works. Nobody denies the concept that there are naturally occurring medical chemicals, plenty of the real medicine we use is derived from plants and fungi and stuff. The point is it is done scientifically and systematically, which makes it medicine. TCM is sympathetic magic.

Wasn't there some added irony in that the TCM preparation neutralises the active ingredient (through boiling or something else)?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

nong posted:

it's still good to improve their living condition as they were literally living in rural villages made of bricks and mortar

also lol you want to talk about aids, the person who enabled an aids epidermic in the US are literally in your country as the vice president RIGHT NOW

it's pretty out of touch to criticize what other countries are doing is 'bad' when 'bad' is better than the 'worse' that came before

holy loving lol dude

there is no way anyone can be this boneheaded, you're not linking or talking about anything even in the same order of magnitude. good job trolling me for a few posts but god drat son

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
for rene, if you're still out there: post 90 beauties try airsoft

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

GotLag posted:

Wasn't there some added irony in that the TCM preparation neutralises the active ingredient (through boiling or something else)?

If we're talking about Artemisin, very likely. The IV preparation is so sensitive that it specifies that we have to gently mix it with sterile water without shaking the vial for best effect.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

lol irl

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Barudak posted:

I just ask the adult how their french, german, and japanese is going or if its gotten a bit rusty?

Jupiter himself has decreed that French is the world's language, who are you to disagree?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...o-a8084586.html

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

She's going places. Eliminate the hostage so the police can make a clean arrest.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mojo1701a posted:

She's going places. Eliminate the hostage so the police can make a clean arrest.

hostage taker cannot pay restitution to hostage's family if he is dead. so better to keep him alive and kill the hostage.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

:thumbsup:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
jeff daniels would be proud

Barudak
May 7, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Jupiter himself has decreed that French is the world's language, who are you to disagree?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...o-a8084586.html

I mean I agree with him, the beauties of France should be spread wide

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

please do not laugh at my waifu

I'm 50/50 of that was intentional to mock the event / get attention or a misundersatnding

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone post the Rene chang eyepop gif.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jeoh posted:

lol irl
I have to admit I scrolled past those images so I didn't even notice until I got to this post and then I looked and was like "what's the big deal, she hit... no... NO..." and it was hilarious so thank you

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
One of the last sections of Old Shanghai, Laoximen, is set to be bulldozed.

Click through for sweet pics of Art Deco structures mostly in disrepair

https://avezink.livejournal.com/67617.html

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The only aspects of china I find remotely interesting are those older fined grained urban areas. New china is all "this complex of 50 identical tower blocks is arranged in a way that will look very nice from a helicopter"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Baronjutter posted:

"this complex of 50 identical tower blocks is arranged in a way that will look very nice from a helicopter"

ahhhh, Seoul.....

• Locked thread