Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if John Fox just starts conducting team meetings and press conferences on the toilet

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
There was a better chance of the D getting a takeaway than the offense driving 75 yards for a TD. The offense was utterly putrid yesterday.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea, I'm not sure relying on an offense that scored 7 points all game to drive down the field for a TD with a minute to go was a better option. Nothing stopping SF from just not taking the TD either. Cohen getting lucky on that return kind of hid the fact that they were getting outplayed by SF for a good chunk of the game.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Caldwell experiment needs to be over. Give interim to one of the coordinators and see if they can hack it. Otherwise blow it up.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scipiotik posted:

Caldwell experiment needs to be over. Give interim to one of the coordinators and see if they can hack it. Otherwise blow it up.

We could give it to your avatar.

No one would notice any difference!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Fox is absolutely one of those coaches without an ounce of creativity or intellect who's just like well maybe the other team will make a mistake and we shouldn't actually attempt to try to do anything out of the box

he's garbage and it's fantastic that he's the current worst coach in bears history , following a coach that was poo poo on nonstop for being an outsider idiot not fit for the NFL unlike John Fox a Career Top Guy Who Knows How To Win

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lions last four games are @Bucs, vBears, @Bengals, vPack.

I don't think the Lions are a bad enough team to bungle the Bucs-Bears-Bengals run but :shrug:

Already almost lost to the bears once this year.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Lions game prep sucks dicks. Shouldn't get blown out in the first half of a game by the worst offense in the league when you have twice the time to prepare for them.

I can easily see them losing a few of the last games. Even to the sorry poo poo rear end Bears.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also the NFC South has three teams in the hunt and they all beat the Lions. We're not getting in unless we run the table.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If the McCaskeys were cared in the slightest or had an ounce of competence, they'd fire Fox now. I know they don't fire in season but Fox is just sabotaging the future on his way out. Shaheen played 9 snaps. Apparently some 3rd year undrafted guy the Browns cut is more important to the franchise than the guy you used a 3rd round pick on.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Well Fox hates rookies so that shouldn't come as a surprise.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Jim Caldwell is a loving moron who doesn’t cut Staff loose until they’re already ten points in the hole because he’s spent 3 quarters trying to establish the run with a fumble prone midget and a pass catching back that for some reason is running up the gut on 3rd and 1

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Also TJ Lang loving sucks

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
McAdoo to the Bears or Lions please and thank you.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Pops Mgee posted:

gently caress you

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pops Mgee posted:

lol if you think either team needs help loving up

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Dexo posted:

gently caress you

Earlier I was wondering how badly I would melt down if the Bears hired Jeff Fisher.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

fishing with the fam posted:

Earlier I was wondering how badly I would melt down if the Bears hired Jeff Fisher.

McAdoo was most recently a coordinator/positional coach, so they might snag both

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Lions consistently start games falling behind by two or three scores. Caldwell and JBC. continuously call lovely, throw away plays to "control the clock" while down 10-17 points.

The run game is always poo poo and Stafford has to hold onto the ball to make plays with his arm. Defenses are just pinning back their ears and loving blasting him.

Other teams make adjustments all the time but the Lions lose old man Ngata and they get destroyed by the run, forever. The last several weeks, the defense has had plays where only 10 men are on the field including red zone plays. This past week they had a play with only NINE players on the field.

This entire coaching staff is loving poo poo and needs to go. Fire them all right now. Let Stafford run the offense drawing plays on his hand. Defense can do whatever, since they can't even put the right amount of players on the field and fall for every read option and play action anyways.

gently caress them. Let's never run or punt again. Let Prater try and kick 75 yard field goals and go deep to Galloday and Marvin Jones for the rest of the plays.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Detroit Press is having fun:

Yet almost every week, Caldwell – and his offensive coordinator, Jim Bob Cooter –virtually straight-jacket Stafford to start every game then wait until they’re desperate to let him loose. It happened again Sunday in the third quarter, when the offensive brain trust dialed up a pass-heavy series in two of the first three series.

Both led to touchdowns.

The odd series of those first three: Run. Short pass. Run. Punt.

That last run was emblematic of the Lions’ hardheadedness. On third-and-1, the Lions asked Theo Riddick – whose specialty is catching the ball in space – to bulldoze up the middle. Behind a receiver – Kenny Golladay – who’d motioned in from the edge and tried to act as a fullback.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

If the McCaskeys were cared in the slightest or had an ounce of competence, they'd fire Fox now. I know they don't fire in season but Fox is just sabotaging the future on his way out. Shaheen played 9 snaps. Apparently some 3rd year undrafted guy the Browns cut is more important to the franchise than the guy you used a 3rd round pick on.

the mccaskeys dont care and neither does fox and neither should we

time to be a jags fan against just like in the late 90s

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

the mccaskeys dont care and neither does fox and neither should we

time to be a jags fan against just like in the late 90s

But David Haugh is going to write an article telling us how steaming mad Virginia McCaskey is any day now!

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I had heard that Stafford does not have a break? Just sprained and bruised? Not that helps that much with your throwing hand.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Also TJ Lang loving sucks

Is he constantly playing through injury like his last few years in GB or has he regressed majorly

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Is he constantly playing through injury like his last few years in GB or has he regressed majorly

Yes.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I was watching some tape of the Vikings today trying to figure out why Keenum is looking so good (besides having a talented offensive roster around him, which is certainly the main reason).

My conclusion is his pocket sense (or whatever you call that, his ability to sense pressure and move without getting flustered and lowering his eyes) and the quickness with which he gets through progressions at the same time. He never stares down receivers, and he moves quickly from a first look that doesn't seem open. In the pocket, he almost never takes his eyes off downfield even when there is pressure all around. There was an interesting play against the Falcons where there was a man on the ground trying to grab at his feet. He just calmly stepped away, no further than he needed to, and dropped a dime downfield where he had his eyes the whole time. How did he even see that man on the ground, or know about the defender coming from directly behind him and throw it at the perfect time? I honestly have no idea. Good peripheral vision and an ability to take in lots of information is my best guess, but still, hard to see a man lying on the ground right near you with a football helmet on and your eyes downfield.

But that's my idea how a quarterback that doesn't have any extremely notable physical stats or skills is playing so dang well (in addition to a good receiver corps, offensive line, and a run game that must be respected, which obviously are things any QB would kill for).

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Play posted:

I was watching some tape of the Vikings today trying to figure out why Keenum is looking so good (besides having a talented offensive roster around him, which is certainly the main reason).

My conclusion is his pocket sense (or whatever you call that, his ability to sense pressure and move without getting flustered and lowering his eyes) and the quickness with which he gets through progressions at the same time. He never stares down receivers, and he moves quickly from a first look that doesn't seem open. In the pocket, he almost never takes his eyes off downfield even when there is pressure all around. There was an interesting play against the Falcons where there was a man on the ground trying to grab at his feet. He just calmly stepped away, no further than he needed to, and dropped a dime downfield where he had his eyes the whole time. How did he even see that man on the ground, or know about the defender coming from directly behind him and throw it at the perfect time? I honestly have no idea. Good peripheral vision and an ability to take in lots of information is my best guess, but still, hard to see a man lying on the ground right near you with a football helmet on and your eyes downfield.

But that's my idea how a quarterback that doesn't have any extremely notable physical stats or skills is playing so dang well (in addition to a good receiver corps, offensive line, and a run game that must be respected, which obviously are things any QB would kill for).

He's had some standout games with other teams, but being on the Jeff Fisher Rams will make any QB look terrible. Glad to see he's escaped.

Whoever the Vikings o-line coach is deserves some major award, though. That line was straight trash two years ago, and now it seems like the one of the top lines in the league. I'm sure ditching Kalil helped a bit.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/937851903710556160

I'm really glad AJ is back, I knew instantly when seeing him play against Chicago for a bit in Week 4 that he had something special with that vision

edit: I will give a lot of credit to the playcalling here, LG Taylor pulling over draws two linebackers with him and opens up the left half of the field. The Tampa OLB also moves inside and then tries to go through the gap, Jones recognizes it, and knows that he only has to contend against a DE and CB (who Nelson is actively blocking) to get through to the end zone

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 5, 2017

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Abugadu posted:

He's had some standout games with other teams, but being on the Jeff Fisher Rams will make any QB look terrible. Glad to see he's escaped.

Whoever the Vikings o-line coach is deserves some major award, though. That line was straight trash two years ago, and now it seems like the one of the top lines in the league. I'm sure ditching Kalil helped a bit.

I believe it's Tony Sporano (which of course I always read as Tony Soprano). Apparently he begged Zimmer in the off-season to allot some resources to the O-line, and the primary result of that was the free-agent acquisitions Mike Remmers and Riley Reiff at right and left tackle, positions that are so so crucial to the run game.

They're not an absolutely dominant line, but they seem to definitely hold their own against almost any defense. An offensive line is a delicate thing though and can fall apart fast. Lose a few players to injuries, or just have a bad run and all the sudden your quarterback has to scramble every play and gets creamed half the time, open receivers aren't hit, your runners are getting stuffed and the entire team hates you. Hopefully they can keep that up, I'm not a Vikings fan per se but I like the way they're playing and hope they can keep it going.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Play posted:

Lose a few players to injuries, or just have a bad run and all the sudden your quarterback has to scramble every play and gets creamed half the time, open receivers aren't hit, your runners are getting stuffed and the entire team hates you.

aka what the Lions have been going through this year

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
what’s funny is Reiff and Remmers we’re both plan B for lineman. The Vikings did try to re-sign Kalil and went hard for Ricky Wagner before losing out to Detroit. Surprising how well it’s worked out, though Remmers has missed nearly 5 straight games. he was playing really well up till then.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

WHOOPS posted:

what’s funny is Reiff and Remmers we’re both plan B for lineman. The Vikings did try to re-sign Kalil and went hard for Ricky Wagner before losing out to Detroit. Surprising how well it’s worked out, though Remmers has missed nearly 5 straight games. he was playing really well up till then.

Yeah, sometimes poo poo like that just works out well, but there's always someone on the other side who ends up getting hosed.

Real crazy that Thielen went undrafted and Diggs was a 5th round pick. That allowed them to load up on other positions and it has paid off big time. Minnesota is now one of the few I consider must-watch teams. I think it was their game against the Redskins that really turned me on to them with Keenum in the QB slot, then the follow-up against the Rams. I find myself rooting for Keenum: he doesn't have the arm or the accuracy of Bradford, and I honestly don't know how he compares to Bridgewater (if someone could tell me that'd be rad). I'd love for him to find a place on this winning team and take them to the superbowl. IMO that's the kind of awesome story the NFL should be all about.

Play fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 5, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Have the Lions ever made an intra-division free agent signing that turned out well?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Have the Lions ever made an intra-division free agent signing that turned out well?

Desmond Howard made a pro bowl

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Did I imagine Lions fans telling us how good Lang had been for them?

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think he started the year decent. Then he got some back issues and a concussion and its gone downhill.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Danny LaFever posted:

I think he started the year decent. Then he got some back issues and a concussion and its gone downhill.

He is like every lion on the oline, playing injured as hell and sucking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

nerve posted:

Did I imagine Lions fans telling us how good Lang had been for them?

I never wanted him and miss Larry Warford greatly

• Locked thread