Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/UCFDannyWhite/status/938076422027071489

https://twitter.com/UCF_Football/status/938062416839172096

OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Cmon fuckers just say who it is

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Gotta tell the players first

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zimbomonkey posted:

Gotta tell the players first

It’s been 15 minutes since the meeting started!!!!

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

The players are tweeting that they're still waiting too

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/mark_schlabach/status/938079068087619584

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/938079726278709250

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

.....who?

e: oh the Mizzou guy

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Not a name I expected, but OK then. I didn't even know he was at Mizzou.

I guess Troy Walters is (probably?) headed to Lincoln then

E: Like Frost, a national championship-winning QB, so there's that too I guess

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Seems like he's done good work at Mizzou this year, but why did he wash out so badly at OU?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

He certainly was off the radar but his resume is solid. 7th best offense in the nation playing in the SEC is not bad at all

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/status/938080383735824384

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I really don't get this new trend of ADs telling brand new HCs who they should keep/fire/hire on their staff. It seems like the worst kind of micromanaging.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Ouch. I didn't think he was so bad he could not have gotten another p5 upper tier DC job.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

He’s got a pretty impressive resume except for his stint with the Bears but I think it’s a little early for a HC job, yeah?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Joey Freshwater posted:

He’s got a pretty impressive resume except for his stint with the Bears but I think it’s a little early for a HC job, yeah?

I don't think the Vols have much of a choice at this point. It's dudes like this or Les Miles types.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Real Name Grover posted:

And they're installing a lazy river on campus; what recruit ain't loving that

These are neat in theory until you realize that especially at a college that thing will end up being more piss than water.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

I don't think the Vols have much of a choice at this point. It's dudes like this or Les Miles types.

I’d rather have Miles and guys like this or Tee be the HC in waiting type deal. With Miles it just feels like there’s less of a chance that it’ll be a total disaster.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The wikipedia article for Josh Heupel has been updated already. I had to look him up cause I have no idea what he's done since he played at Oklahoma.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

an adult beverage posted:

Ouch. I didn't think he was so bad he could not have gotten another p5 upper tier DC job.

I think it'll help his career a decent amount. His defenses usually require out-talenting the other teams, and UCF has a pretty good shot at getting defensive recruits with him that are better than most of the AAC.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Dammit, I wonder if this hurts the chances Drew Lock returns next year. Please hire another run n gun OC, Barry.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Komet posted:

The wikipedia article for Josh Heupel has been updated already. I had to look him up cause I have no idea what he's done since he played at Oklahoma.

He got fired as OU's OC for being bad and was replaced by Lincoln Riley - that's all I got.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

No, don't do it Mel!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I would be ok with Mel Tucker given the other names. I'm just curious who they would bring in for OC. I can't see it being Tee.

Also

https://twitter.com/BassinDawg/status/937754362121740288

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Kevin Steele missing Broyles Award presentation today, as he is also meeting with Fulmer reportedly.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
If we go the coordinator route, my choices would be Venables, Tucker, Steele. I really hope it’s not Steele. I’d be okay with Tucker.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Losing Mel Tucker to Tennessee would suck but he’s earned it and I’m sure Kirby can find an able replacement. If Mel goes I hope he does well.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/938085039874740224

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Losing Mel Tucker to Tennessee would suck but he’s earned it and I’m sure Kirby can find an able replacement. If Mel goes I hope he does well.

Steal Pruitt back from the Dark Lord so he can terrorize McGarity again

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don’t think it’s who I’d hire but Heupel did a really nice job this year with Mizzou. Forcing Shannon on him as DC is pretty lovely though

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Dilber posted:

I think it'll help his career a decent amount. His defenses usually require out-talenting the other teams, and UCF has a pretty good shot at getting defensive recruits with him that are better than most of the AAC.

That was definitely evident watching Florida's defense this year without Muschamp's players. And while it might be good for UCF, Shannon's recruiting connections seemed overrated when he was at Florida.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DJExile posted:

I really don't get this new trend of ADs telling brand new HCs who they should keep/fire/hire on their staff. It seems like the worst kind of micromanaging.

I think its usually less "This person must stay" but more along the lines of "you have to have one of these people on your staff because they have all the recruitment relationships for our base". He was probably told to hire someone who has strong Florida connections and Shannon was a logical choice.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Sab0921 posted:

He got fired as OU's OC for being bad and was replaced by Lincoln Riley - that's all I got.

It wasn’t so much being bad as it was not being elite. We still scored a lot of points under Heupel.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Not that I'm complaining, but I'm a little surprised there hasn't been even a hint of anyone sniffing around Todd Orlando. You'd think UCF would've at least considered it for the name alone.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

It wasn’t so much being bad as it was not being elite. We still scored a lot of points under Heupel.

The way I remember it people thought Stoops was sacrificing his offensive staff because fans/boosters/admins were wanting to see changes made and Stoops didn't want to fire his brother.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 5, 2017

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Just realized Mizzou now needs to hire both a DC and an OC. Don't gently caress this up, Odom.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The offense wasn’t as good as peak OU offenses for most of Heupel’s run as OC but it didn’t get to the point where it was a problem until the last couple years when the QBs were Trevor Knight and a guy who probably should have played tight end

e: actually Bell probably would have been an all American if he’d played for Bill Snyder or Dan Mullen but he and to a lesser extent knight were both kinda square peg in a round hole for OU.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 5, 2017

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

swickles posted:

I think its usually less "This person must stay" but more along the lines of "you have to have one of these people on your staff because they have all the recruitment relationships for our base". He was probably told to hire someone who has strong Florida connections and Shannon was a logical choice.

Yeah, but ADs are likely to favor the kind of mediocre but “proven” talent of a guy like Randy Shannon. It’s handicapping the program for no reason and helping these has-beens stick around.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/938102076621672449

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Tennessee is a beacon for smart decisions sooooo....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

Seems like he's done good work at Mizzou this year, but why did he wash out so badly at OU?

He was scapegoated for the 2014 8-5 season where they lost close games to 3 ranked teams (2 that finished the year in the top 10), got beat in bedlam, and destroyed by Clemson. They weren't bad for a team being QB'ed by career 55% passer Trevor Knight.

• Locked thread