Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Disney used to have what was basically an Aliens ride in their park where a Xenomorph accidentally gets teleported into a dark room with the audience and you can feel it breathing on you and running over the tops of the chairs.

Yeah, that ride was cool when I first went on it and it was a new creation. Then they retooled it to tie in with Lilo and Stitch and it wasn't as good. Then again it might have been the difference between me being 12 and 16 respectively.

EDIT:
MGM studios did have a ride that took you through a few movies, one of them was Alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If this deal goes through Disney will own 60% of Hulu, at that point why even bother with the capital investment of starting their own streaming service?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If this deal goes through Disney will own 60% of Hulu, at that point why even bother with the capital investment of starting their own streaming service?

I think that's kind of the point: they can just rebrand Hulu and use its backend instead of actually starting their own.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
loving hell.

https://twitter.com/mattsinger/status/938128504587251712

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Disney used to have what was basically an Aliens ride in their park where a Xenomorph accidentally gets teleported into a dark room with the audience and you can feel it breathing on you and running over the tops of the chairs.

It was actually supposed to be an Aliens ride with the Xenomorph and everything, but Disney could see the parent complains a mile away for having an attraction dedicated to a R Rated property, and one that isn't even theirs.

Oddly enough the ride that came out of it was STILL too intense and they basically closed it after awhile.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

This is kind of a dumb argument. Jurassic World was bad, but it did establish that Pratt's character legitimately cared for and had relationships with the animals.

It's like saying "There's a house burning down. Why is the family so upset about their dog, when they got it at a pet store? They can just get more dog."

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

This is kind of a dumb argument. Jurassic World was bad, but it did establish that Pratt's character legitimately cared for and had relationships with the animals.

It's like saying "There's a house burning down. Why is the family so upset about their dog, when they got it at a pet store? They can just get more dog."

They're specifically responding to the bit about "preventing the prehistoric beasts from becoming extinct (again)." But, yeah, I agree, you can make a perfectly sensible movie in which Pratt is pushing against the attitude that they can just make more because he cares about the animals themselves.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

It was actually supposed to be an Aliens ride with the Xenomorph and everything, but Disney could see the parent complains a mile away for having an attraction dedicated to a R Rated property, and one that isn't even theirs.

Oddly enough the ride that came out of it was STILL too intense and they basically closed it after awhile.

Yeah, they tested it as an Alien ride called "Nostromo" and actually got really far in production, IIRC, before a higher up at Disney went "wait, what the gently caress" and forced them to retool it.

The interesting thing is, though, the ride being too scary for children originally didn't matter at all- ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter was, by all accounts, the exact same original idea (complete with the alien being an obvious Xenomorph expy), just with all the Alien IP stuff filed off. And not because of potential parent complaints; it was apparently an internal Disney rule that rides based on external IPs had to be PG or lower, which has since relaxed to PG-13 or lower (since PG-13 is basically the lowest rating that a movie not explicitly made for small children can get nowadays), and the Alien stuff just somehow snuck by without anyone noticing for a while.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Sir Kodiak posted:

They're specifically responding to the bit about "preventing the prehistoric beasts from becoming extinct (again)." But, yeah, I agree, you can make a perfectly sensible movie in which Pratt is pushing against the attitude that they can just make more because he cares about the animals themselves.

I don't think that "preventing them from becoming extinct again" is really the goal, so much as it's (hopefully) just flashy dinosaur-related copy to say "they're gonna die"

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

I don't think that "preventing them from becoming extinct again" is really the goal, so much as it's (hopefully) just flashy dinosaur-related copy to say "they're gonna die"

Yeah, hopefully he's being overly literal about dumb copy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I almost went on that ride but i got freaked out. Rides really freaked me out when I was that young.

I did have one of those toys of the Alien and thought it was rad as hell.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

To build fan anticipation for the eventual crossover.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol the Impossible. I guess the movie only follows Pratt and Howard, relaxing on a resort while the volcano plays on a TV somewhere.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Lobok posted:

To build fan anticipation for the eventual crossover.

Something, something, joke about Offred becoming a Disney Princess.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Trying to remember that forgetful movie I googled it and stumbled upon this review

quote:

The Impossible is an agonizing experience for anyone who refuses to have their emotions shamelessly fumbled with, like a drunk crudely groping his partner on the dance floor.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2012/12/05/movie-review-the-impossible-is-deplorable

an extra lol for who happened to write this

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's a sexual assaulter and a piece of poo poo.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Shageletic posted:

Trying to remember that forgetful movie I googled it and stumbled upon this review

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2012/12/05/movie-review-the-impossible-is-deplorable

an extra lol for who happened to write this

Perfect.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought you were wondering who he was. But I also don't mind taking a second to poo poo on that guy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If the Fox deal happens then Disney will essentially be airing a Batman show on their network.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

If the Fox deal happens then Disney will essentially be airing a Batman show on their network.

Perfect excuse for them to try and buy WB/DC next

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No, the Fox network is one of the things explicitly not part of the deal

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I thought you were wondering who he was. But I also don't mind taking a second to poo poo on that guy.

Nah I'm familiar with him. These guys really do give themselves away, don't they?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No, the Fox network is one of the things explicitly not part of the deal

No fair, I want the rapidly approaching monopoly of mass entertainment to arrive quicker.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, hopefully he's being overly literal about dumb copy.

:golfclap: well done

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The weird thing is that the review is pretty tame and on point most of the way, then BAM, sexual assault similie.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Sometimes checking out upcoming Fanthom Events is interesting...

quote:

Millions of people have seen UFOs and many even recall personal encounters with strange entities, and the popular view is that these are advanced aliens visiting us from far away. From Fathom Events and Creation Ministries International, “Alien Intrusion” dives into the spiritual realm of these phenomena – in cinemas nationwide for a special one-night event on January 11, 2018. Featuring interviews with experiencers, as well as experts and major influencers in the field, this documentary examines the UFO phenomenon. “Alien Intrusion” seeks to solve one of the most haunting and persistent mysteries of our time by addressing the evolution connection to UFOs such as: UFOs sighted across the globe, mysteries seen on radar, alien abductions, potential government cover-ups, the influence of science fiction on popular culture, and more.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
V curious if "The TRUTH will surprise you" is a line of narration, or just an endorsement. I guess I will have to watch the film to find out!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"Creation Ministries International" makes me think the shocking answer is God.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

muscles like this! posted:

”Creation Ministries International" makes me think the shocking answer is God.

Well then it wouldn’t surprise you, would it?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What if, it was 2 gods. Or 2 gods, 4 devils, and half of a jesus.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah, lines like "Featuring interviews with experiencers, as well as experts and major influencers in the field" seem especially telling. It sounds like like they're trying to get UFO believers to attend the session so they can present an alternative explanation (Jesus!) but they're being really cagey about the language they use so they don't scare them off.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/938168685398765568

Is pretty hosed up that what used to be a joke for being so absurd is actually happening now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is pretty hosed up that what used to be a joke for being so absurd is actually happening now.

2017 in a nutshell ladies and gentlemen.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

One of the alien greys conspiracy theories is that the greys/reptoids are demons and the pleidians are angels. That dates at least to the late 80s when I first encountered it, and probably earlier.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would love Disney forever if they murdered the Simpsons outright. Please kill that show.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Coming to Disney XD, Teen Bart: ESports Player

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CelticPredator posted:

I would love Disney forever if they murdered the Simpsons outright. Please kill that show.

As much as I would like that we are getting a live-action/cgi Simpsons movie (? how has this somehow not happened yet at least once?)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

CelticPredator posted:

Counter offer: Lisa Simpson, Disney Princess

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

loving hell, I know it's just confirmation bias but it's bizarre how The Simpsons has 'predicted' a whole bunch of really weird poo poo that ended up coming true. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

You thought Simpsons was bad now? It's only gonna get worse under a Disney regime.

• Locked thread