Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

I remember that scene getting the biggest laughs at my theater. That's some Twister level poo poo.

i remember laughing my rear end off at it, and even then i don't remember it being that goofy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I remember being bored. And then perking up for a second to roll my eyes.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I never understand when I hear things like that getting laughs. The emotion in his face is acted so well and it's a beautiful image. Who cares that's not how tornados work?

Like in a Pokemon movie recently that was the 20th anniversary I took my kid to it and at one point Pikachu has a spoken line (Ash basically understanding his animal speak it hallucinating it in his death throes) and me and my wife loving cried, but on the internet everyone is laughing at it and posting videos of people in theaters cracking up. HEARTLESS MONSTERS

an animal suddenly talking at a dramatic moment is a pretty funny idea though

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Davros1 posted:

I remember that scene getting the biggest laughs at my theater. That's some Twister level poo poo.

Along with the hollow and false melodrama of "his monument," it perfectly encapsulates how heavy Snyderman thinks it is compared to what it is actually achieving.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

dont even fink about it posted:

Along with the hollow and false melodrama of "his monument," it perfectly encapsulates how heavy Snyderman thinks it is compared to what it is actually achieving.

what does it think it is and what is it actually achieving?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

dont even fink about it posted:

Well, I mean, it's a comic book movie. Most people are pretty comfortable with melodrama.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brother Entropy posted:

IT WAS AN EARNED MOMENT DAMMIT

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Sorry I was referencing an article that was posted way back when that quote first surfaced, where the writer (it might've been Harry Knowles?) effectively made the connection from:

Zack Snyder is interested in the Fountainhead => Snyder is therefor almost definitely an objectivist => this explains his take on Superman as a Randian figure who believes he owes nothing to humanity and therefor trods over them in his quest for personal glory

EDIT: so to clarify, the article I meant wasn't the quote you posted, it was just the first one that conflated the quote with Snyder's entire ouvre

Oh cool.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't laugh at the Pikachu moment. My girlfriend and I just kinda looked at each other wondering what we just saw.

The twister scene is really good. Comic book audiences just aren't equipped to deal with sincere moments anymore.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

"If you don't sign the treaty.... England dies!"

"England had its chance!"

*Cut back to continental map scale: England crashes in flames over Europe, taking out a dozen monarchical palaces on the way down*

:911:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Now I know why my best friend Pikachu that I caught over twenty years ago doesn't want to be in the ball

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

nothing beats ares' flashback in WW from when he is expelled from mt. olympus and even then he was a soft, pasty white man with a walrus moustache

the whole theatre cracked up including my 80 yr old grandma

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Pikachu moment had me crying laughing but I had no context for it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Comic book audiences just aren't equipped to deal with sincere moments anymore.

i wouldn't say this is limited to comic book audiences, these days american pop culture in general feels so terrified of earnestness

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Calibanibal posted:

nothing beats ares' flashback in WW from when he is expelled from mt. olympus and even then he was a soft, pasty white man with a walrus moustache

the whole theatre cracked up including my 80 yr old grandma

Isn't it pretty true to Greek mythology that Ares is a wimpy loser? Not to say it's not funny.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

porfiria posted:

Isn't it pretty true to Greek mythology that Ares is a wimpy loser? Not to say it's not funny.

Depends who you asked. The spartans loving loved Ares for example.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ares owned because David Thewlis played him.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Alhazred posted:

Depends who you asked. The spartans loving loved Ares for example.

Yeah, but they kept slaves and hosed kids, so maybe Ares looking wimpy with a pedostache fits

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

garycoleisgod posted:

Yeah, but they kept slaves and hosed kids, so maybe Ares looking wimpy with a pedostache fits

Sure, but so did all the other Greek city-states. Opinions of Ares didn't really factor into that.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

The twister scene is really good. Comic book audiences just aren't equipped to deal with sincere moments anymore.

The concept was fine, Costner was great, the lesson or whatever being sincere to Clark is good, i think that single shot is so stupid-looking and wish they had found a different shot or sequence to depict it. Even having Costner wince a tiny bit from the splinters hitting his eyes or something. You could say this is Clark's adult nightmare recollection of the event instead of the real thing but I don't think it's fair to suggest anyone who didn't like the scene is just emotionally stunted. There are a lot of sincere moments in MoS that people DO like, like the first time he flies and his conversation with Lois.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is why when young Bruce is lifted up by bats in BvS they had him literally narrate over it that it is a dream and yet still people were like "lol bats can't make a tornado this filmmaker is dumb"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I used to hate that scene and then I realized that A) Kevin Costner screaming as the wind breaks his leg and carries him away wouldn't have made the movie better B) he went to rescue the dog then got trapped by a freak accident, he didn't literally roll the dice with a 50/50 chance of dying for the dog's sake which was my beef

Serf
May 5, 2011

batman begins established that bats can defeat a bunch of paramilitary thugs tho

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Electromax posted:

The concept was fine, Costner was great, the lesson or whatever being sincere to Clark is good, i think that single shot is so stupid-looking and wish they had found a different shot or sequence to depict it. Even having Costner wince a tiny bit from the splinters hitting his eyes or something. You could say this is Clark's adult nightmare recollection of the event instead of the real thing but I don't think it's fair to suggest anyone who didn't like the scene is just emotionally stunted. There are a lot of sincere moments in MoS that people DO like, like the first time he flies and his conversation with Lois.

Spljnters? Splinters would have made the scene better?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If anything that gif reminded me of Costners scene in BvS which is so, so awesome.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I never understand when I hear things like that getting laughs. The emotion in his face is acted so well and it's a beautiful image. Who cares that's not how tornados work?

Like in a Pokemon movie recently that was the 20th anniversary I took my kid to it and at one point Pikachu has a spoken line (Ash basically understanding his animal speak it hallucinating it in his death throes) and me and my wife loving cried, but on the internet everyone is laughing at it and posting videos of people in theaters cracking up. HEARTLESS MONSTERS
e: "You are my son!" still makes me look like :pwn: all tryin not to cry

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 5, 2017

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Spljnters? Splinters would have made the scene better?

No, I said having Costner wince or react to the tornado that's about to kill him. The scene clearly already had splinters.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wincing would have changed the entire mood of his sacrifice. The scene is about faith. It would be like if Luke screamed when he chose to fall at the end of Empire Strikes Back.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What if right as he's about to get sucked up, Splinter shows up and with a thrust of his Palm causes the tornado to stop with his chi? Then Clark finishes his conversation with Lois in the present and theres a statue of the Ninja Turtles in Smallville.

While different film. Could a been a whole other movie.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wincing would have changed the entire mood of his sacrifice. The scene is about faith. It would be like if Luke screamed when he chose to fall at the end of Empire Strikes Back.

I think Lucas added that in the SE of the film (one of them, anyways).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He did, but then he took it back out in a later edition. I'm pretty sure it's not in the blurays.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, I can see that - ultimately the same stoic-ness in his face that you like as representative of his unwavering faith and resolve to stay his course and prevent Clark from saving him, to me just distracts me like "did any one tell Costner it was meant to be windy in this scene?" like a weird CGI face would. Like I said, I liked what the scene was doing but not that shot.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Brother Entropy posted:

it is. that moment had multiple moments where nostalgia tugged at the heartstrings, but when Pikachu actually talked everyone in the theater let out a muffled "i know this isn't funny but I can't help it" laugh. It helped that the voice was like, really high pitched and annoying, which isn't so bad when it's saying what are ostensibly animal sounds, but actual words sound hella weird coming from it. It was real goofy.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Schwarzwald posted:

Sure, but so did all the other Greek city-states. Opinions of Ares didn't really factor into that.

True. Probably to do with all the lies the Spartans told about how much rear end they kicked on the battlefield then. Decided they needed to choose a real kick rear end war god. Even though Ares sucks.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

If anything that gif reminded me of Costners scene in BvS which is so, so awesome.

Clark on the mountain is one of my favorite moments in all of capeman movies.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

If people were in the cinema laughing at Pa Kent dying in a tornado that'd explain how so many of them missed that his selfless actions tell the lie of his earlier remark that Clark might ought to leave the bus full of children to drown.

Sartre posted:

But the existentialist, when he portrays a coward, shows him as responsible for his cowardice. He is not like that on account of a cowardly heart or lungs or cerebrum, he has not become like that through his physiological organism; he is like that because he has made himself into a coward by actions. There is no such thing as a cowardly temperament. There are nervous temperaments; there is what is called impoverished blood, and there are also rich temperaments. But the man whose blood is poor is not a coward for all that, for what produces cowardice is the act of giving up or giving way; and a temperament is not an action. A coward is defined by the deed that he has done. What people feel obscurely, and with horror, is that the coward as we present him is guilty of being a coward. What people would prefer would be to be born either a coward or a hero. One of the charges most often laid against the Chemins de la Liberté is something like this: “But, after all, these people being so base, how can you make them into heroes?” That objection is really rather comic, for it implies that people are born heroes: and that is, at bottom, what such people would like to think. If you are born cowards, you can be quite content, you can do nothing about it and you will be cowards all your lives whatever you do; and if you are born heroes you can again be quite content; you will be heroes all your lives eating and drinking heroically. Whereas the existentialist says that the coward makes himself cowardly, the hero makes himself heroic; and that there is always a possibility for the coward to give up cowardice and for the hero to stop being a hero. What counts is the total commitment, and it is not by a particular case or particular action that you are committed altogether.

In the car, Clark reproaches Pa Kent for being a coward, and implies that his own superior bloodline is not tainted by cowardice.

quote:

But in reality and for the existentialist, there is no love apart from the deeds of love; no potentiality of love other than that which is manifested in loving; there is no genius other than that which is expressed in works of art.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The thing I always took from the Pa Kent tornado scene is that Snyder clearly wants melodrama and emotion in his films but he just seems to lack the little details and subtleties. So he hits us over the head like how he also added the "LESBIAN WHORES" scene in Watchmen.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's not a coincidence that in one of these comic book universes hope is a lie, change is an illusion and all you can do is quip into the void and in the other it's "Superman is real; what are YOU going to do about it?"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Criticism goes badly wrong when you look at things in terms of plot instead of in terms of narrative.

The tornado scene is not only a flashback, but specifically Clark’s dreamlike memory. We are shown a close-up of Kent from Clark’s POV - but Clark was actually extremely far away, under the overpass. He could not have seen Kent’s expression from that distance, and certainly not any fuckin splinters. What we are shown is obviously Clark’s mythic, idealized version of Kent.

I’m talking really basic film literacy here: an impossibly clear close-up in the middle of a dream sequence.

We’re even shown earlier, more-naturalistic shots of Kent stumbling around like an awkward old man - as a direct contrast to this idealized vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Criticism goes badly wrong when you look at things in terms of plot instead of in terms of narrative.

The tornado scene is not only a flashback, but specifically Clark’s dreamlike memory. We are shown a close-up of Kent from Clark’s POV - but Clark was actually extremely far away, under the overpass. He could not have seen Kent’s expression from that distance, and certainly not any fuckin splinters. What we are shown is obviously Clark’s mythic, idealized version of Kent.

I’m talking really basic film literacy here: an impossibly clear close-up in the middle of a dream sequence.

We’re even shown earlier, more-naturalistic shots of Kent stumbling around like an awkward old man - as a direct contrast to this idealized vision.

Superman has Super Vision

• Locked thread