Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

MrKatharsis posted:

We should absolutely be able to shoot torpedoes and I am furious that this hasn't been included in the game yet.

I would take a general buff to torpedoes if secondaries could fire at them. Also if CLs weren't able to be hit by deep water torps, but CAs were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

They can't damage cruisers so it's sort of pre-nerfed.

Wait, the new torpedo option they're testing for IJN destroyers can't damage cruisers (presumably in addition to destroyers)? That's a flat downgrade from what the new line get, so is there any counteracting feature?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lord Koth posted:

Wait, the new torpedo option they're testing for IJN destroyers can't damage cruisers (presumably in addition to destroyers)? That's a flat downgrade from what the new line get, so is there any counteracting feature?

20km max range and there's 15-30 of them? It's still something I probably wouldn't use if I had a Shima.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

They're somewhat worthless if they can't hit cruisers. Even with 0.7km detection.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Certainly the game needed something that would encourage battleships to sail even further back, and more stridently demand their cruisers push in front

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So I just spent $41 on the Ashitaka...

Hahaha... yeah, I am a retard, but not that retarded. Why Wargaming? It seems like you can only push out OP premiums or poo poo premiums, you can never manage the whole balance thing can you?

wdarkk posted:

20km max range and there's 15-30 of them? It's still something I probably wouldn't use if I had a Shima.

At Tier X you’re just as likely to get 5x DD games as you are 5x BB games. I would even argue that a DD is more important as an anti-DD platform at the Tier than it is an anti-everythingBB platform.

So yeah, I think it would be a downgrade for a Shimi to fit these. Plus, if you really want 20km torpedoes you can fit them already—and they hit everything. Of course they travel at roughly half a KM per hour, so there is that.

NTRabbit posted:

Certainly the game needed something that would encourage battleships to sail even further back, and more stridently demand their cruisers push in front

This. I think this is an attempt to “fix” the IJN DDs that, despite the Shimi’s popularity, have never really recovered from their torpedo nerf.

Incidentally, it is an interesting inversion of reality that we expect gameplay that encourages battleships to not stay at long range and sling shells at capital ships.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 5, 2017

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

NTRabbit posted:

The Charge of the Light Cruisers

Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 5, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Where are you seeing that IJN get DW torps or that they will be different from the Asian DW torps?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

Where are you seeing that IJN get DW torps or that they will be different from the Asian DW torps?

Forum, quoting sea group.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

So any tips for moving from tier 5 to Tier 6 gameplay?

I don't know what it is but in matches below tier 6 I can consistently get a rating of 1200+ but tier 6 games are just wrecking me and I struggle to get an 800ish rating....

I play cruisers almost exclusively and I just feel that my survivability has plummeted in tier 6 where BBs are even deadlier and torpedos have stupid range and same damage...

I am desperately trying to not give people opportunities to broadside me but I run into obvious issue of finding myself facing an enemy force with no way to escape because if I turn, I get citadeled and die, if I try to backup I'm too slow and get torpedo'd - so wtf do I do?

I've tried watching some guides but so many do not seem to deal with the every day scenario of 2 blobs shooting at each-other 15km away - those are where I die. One on one I can wreck ships as my aim is somewhat above average - but I'm seriously having a tough time figuring out my role in T6 games.

Finally, yes I'm in an Aoba - I know it's garbage but I feel like I'm playing it poorly as well...

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

FileNotFound posted:

I don't know what it is but in matches below tier 6 I can consistently get a rating of 1200+ but tier 6 games are just wrecking me and I struggle to get an 800ish rating....

I play cruisers almost exclusively and I just feel that my survivability has plummeted in tier 6 where BBs are even deadlier and torpedos have stupid range and same damage...

I am desperately trying to not give people opportunities to broadside me but I run into obvious issue of finding myself facing an enemy force with no way to escape because if I turn, I get citadeled and die, if I try to backup I'm too slow and get torpedo'd - so wtf do I do?

I've tried watching some guides but so many do not seem to deal with the every day scenario of 2 blobs shooting at each-other 15km away - those are where I die. One on one I can wreck ships as my aim is somewhat above average - but I'm seriously having a tough time figuring out my role in T6 games.

Finally, yes I'm in an Aoba - I know it's garbage but I feel like I'm playing it poorly as well...

Until you hit Tier 7 you will have your teeth kicked in a lot because of match making. Then you hit tier VIII and your teeth will get kicked in again.

Good news is Tier IX it stops.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Dear EU Goons

All clans that have made offers to me or that I appplied to suck. I will stay with you til the day this garbage game closes down.

Maybe we can get a clan team going for the next season.

Love
Hammerstein/Panzerblitz

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

bloom posted:

I just got given something called an Okhotnik for 3 days. Is this tied to some mission or is WG just throwing random gold boats at you now?

It's a Derzki at tier 5. Complete gimmick boat that if you can get DDs to chase you it will melt them. It also has 4x3 torp tubes that when you can get things close to you will wreck everything. Getting stuck against radar boats really suck for it though because the gun range isn't very good.

Edit:

FileNotFound posted:

Pick an island that you can sail towards that will give you cover from at least half the map and will place you within range of the enemy, as you're arriving at that island if you're spotted figure out where you're being spotted from and where you're going to be shot from and use the island as cover to turn away from where you're being fired from. Hopefully things shooting you will be within range and you can now kite away from them changing your speed some here and there along with your heading to dodge shells while also raining fire down on your enemies. Unfortunately the Aoba is a downgrade relative to the Furataka since your torp angles get worse, the ship gets bigger, and you have the same 3x2 layout. With cruisers positioning and map awareness super important to your survival and ability to win. What's great is *AS* you get better at these things you can also apply them every other ship in the game (that isn't CVs) and you'll be much better for it. Finally, JOIN THE DISCORD (especially if you're on the NA server) and play with goons. Most of us are pretty good and are like me with 2 to 3 ships in every tier they like playing/grinding. Plus you get to commiserate with how bad the player base is :)

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 5, 2017

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Hammerstein posted:

Dear EU Goons

All clans that have made offers to me or that I appplied to suck. I will stay with you til the day this garbage game closes down.

Maybe we can get a clan team going for the next season.

Love
Hammerstein/Panzerblitz

Make it happen, anyone can organise a clan team. Also, welcome back.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Burt posted:

Also, welcome back.

But I never left :smith:

Also, our top guys in Goon Squid are better than the top guys of all clans I talked to. If we put some :effort: into it, we could definitely stomp our way at least to Storm league. Not this season, but certainly next.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 5, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

FileNotFound posted:

Tier 5/6 is a bad place to be in a cruiser.

DDs are better at harassing, BBs are better at damage. You lack speed, agility, your citadel has just become a thing and your utility is somewhat limited. Six is especially bad because you will get up-tiered to 8 over and over again. Chances are you don't have a good captain, either.

Japanese cruisers can be good, but they're also exceptionally hard for Reasons. I would not recommend them for newbies because

-A good player will citadel a broadside Japanese CL every time.
-Their gun/torpedo angles are poo poo garbage and their turrets turn about as fast as a tortoise fucks.
-They're X-Box huge and about as armored as one.
-They require a good captain to really do well.

French cruisers are the most Cruiser Cruiser. Run and do damage. Never get caught broadside. Go fast.
American cruisers pack good utility and are pretty competetive at every tier, but the tier 7/8 ( Cola and New Orleans ) are squishy and are focus-fired constantly.
German cruisers have good utility and are fair all-rounders that just got a very good HE boost.
British cruisers are exceptional, but require better game sense than the others. They die like gently caress when focused and everyone hates them. You will always be shot at because you are that dangerous.

I would recommend stuffing your Japanese CL for now and picking up with the Cleveland OR the French/German line. The French cruisers are probably the most forgiving due to good gun angles and fair agility.

It gets better, but cruising in general is pretty hard and sometimes you will just die despite doing everything right because your armor is trash or because some 44% WR BB's dispersion sent two shells into your citadel and you died.

DEFINITELY pick up the captain skill torpedo vigilance if you're having trouble with torpedoes, as it will increase your spotting distance. Cruiser lines that have hydrophones will also help you out. Dodging torpedoes mostly boils down to being able to anticipate them before you spot them, and being ready to blade INTO the direction you suspect they're coming from.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Hammerstein posted:

But I never left :smith:

Also, our top guys in Goon Squid are better than the top guys of all clans I talked to. If we put some :effort: into it, we could definitely stomp our way at least to Storm league. Not this season, but certainly next.

Storm is pretty easy to get in and hold. The only way you'll fall out of Storm is through undiluted incompetence. GOON overall seems to probably be able to have a shot at Typhoon 3 at least provided you have decent calling and organisation.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

i would play clan wars if i had tier x ships and i was good at the game and also was on EU because it seems that's where most of you are

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

i would play clan wars if i had tier x ships and i was good at the game and also was on EU because it seems that's where most of you are

There's plenty on NA.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

wdarkk posted:

There's plenty on NA.

are any specific tier Xs in demand for CW? not that i'll be there any time soon but i'm mostly playing brit BBs atm

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Is there room for a midtier casual in the EU goon guild? All my friends quit this game and it'd be a lot more fun to play with at least a couple of decent people occasionally.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

are any specific tier Xs in demand for CW? not that i'll be there any time soon but i'm mostly playing brit BBs atm

Montana, Moskva, Hindenburg, Des Moines, Gearing, Shimakaze. Maybe a couple I missed.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Der Shovel posted:

Is there room for a midtier casual in the EU goon guild? All my friends quit this game and it'd be a lot more fun to play with at least a couple of decent people occasionally.

We are at 29/30 and can always purge some of the long term inactives. Just apply to [GOON] Goon Squid and post your nick here...

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 5, 2017

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

wdarkk posted:

Montana, Moskva, Hindenburg, Des Moines, Gearing, Shimakaze. Maybe a couple I missed.

what makes the montana preferable over the other T10 BBs? particularly conq since, as i said above, that's the line i was playing. i don't know enough about the game to understand the differences myself.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

what makes the montana preferable over the other T10 BBs? particularly conq since, as i said above, that's the line i was playing. i don't know enough about the game to understand the differences myself.

It's 100% down to how hard it murders cruisers. The Conq isn't bad, it's just not quite as good as the Montana at that one thing. Trying to kill a cruiser with battleship HE is pretty silly.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Final Frontier scenario is good for the vampire missions. I got 16 kills / 500k damage doing it twice in my Belfast.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
What are good boats to slap Admiral Yammy in? I've seen Flamu run him on DDs.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Burt posted:

Make it happen, anyone can organise a clan team. Also, welcome back.

Aww, I wanted to see him grovel a bit :(

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

FileNotFound posted:

Any time you find yourself surrounded like this with no backup the answer is almost always bad positioning on your part. You gotta make sure you keep a friendly pubby or two between you and the enemy blob, this will ensure that you’re never the one getting shot at since the reds always shoot at whatever’s closest. Also WASD a lot, especially when you get to the myokyo. You want to do nice 30-45 degree turns, change throttle setting, hold it for a good 10-20 seconds, then change it again. That’ll throw off aim a lot.

Once you finally get good at it mid tier cruisers are a blast. The myoko, Amagi, and York are some of my favorite ships just because you’re always moving and jinking and shooting. When you do it well you can maneuver tank multiple ships at once while dishing out decent damage. Then tier 9 happens and it’s all hill humping and nose tanking and other unfun bullshit.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

What are good boats to slap Admiral Yammy in? I've seen Flamu run him on DDs.

Popular pick for Akizuki it seems, mostly because of the tracers.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Heartcatch posted:

Popular pick for Akizuki it seems, mostly because of the tracers.

Not just that; since the Akizuki is a DD killer you are far more likely to get first blood and in turn activate Yamamoto's first blood skill.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I think the best choice for Yamamoto depends on what IJN premiums you have. For example I have a Kamikaze R and Shinonome, so I put him in my Shimakaze and now he can be used in 3 ships. If you had an Atago then putting him on a Zao might be a good idea. But also DDs seem to get more First Strike than other ships so Akizuki is probably the single best ship yeah.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Thanks for the posted tips - even if I didn't individually respond.

I've been learning to shoot over hills and the results have actually been hilariously devastating - getting out of the mindset that I need to have direct line of sight to shoot things has allowed to solo kill a battleship who could not hit me but I could hit him.

Getting concealment expert has also helped way more than I expected - I had considered it to be a DD skill but apparently I'm super wrong.

I'm still struggling to consistently citadel people as I haven't figured out the sweet spot of penetration vs over-penetration. Last night I stupidly closed distance on a Cleavland who was broadsiding me to citadel him better - instead it made my guns overpen and his guns to actually start doing real damange to my Aoba which he previously was not able to do....ooops.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
What are people's thoughts on dynamic vs static crosshair? Seems like static assumes 20 knots and dynamic assumes 30. I have issues hitting destroyers at close range with static crosshairs so I've started experimenting with dynamic.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
After my second game in the Fushun, it seems pretty good:

1 fire for 76 HE hits is a bit pathetic, though. The glacial turret rotation also doesn't do it any favours.

xanif posted:

What are people's thoughts on dynamic vs static crosshair? Seems like static assumes 20 knots and dynamic assumes 30. I have issues hitting destroyers at close range with static crosshairs so I've started experimenting with dynamic.

I stick to the static one, and just don't use the scope when shooting at DDs up close.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

davejk posted:

After my second game in the Fushun, it seems pretty good:

1 fire for 76 HE hits is a bit pathetic, though. The glacial turret rotation also doesn't do it any favours.
Do you have DE? You don't really need superintendent.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

xanif posted:

I've almost always played with static since I find it makes leading and hitting things easier since you can memorize how fast everything is and then adjust the notches for it. US BB full speed you lead 1:1 a Leningrad at full tilt 4:1 unless you're within 5km or something then it's closer to 3ish

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I've almost always played with static since I find it makes leading and hitting things easier since you can memorize how fast everything is and then adjust the notches for it. US BB full speed you lead 1:1 a Leningrad at full tilt 4:1 unless you're within 5km or something then it's closer to 3ish

The dynamic does the same thing, but with a value of 30 knots it's way easier to use against high-tier ships (pretty much all ships above tier 8 or so goes 30+ knots).
Being able to zoom out your sight a little to lead DDs / french cruisers without having to remember separate values for your zoom level (lol no) is pretty useful too.

Honestly, for anyone new to this game, just learn to use the dynamic sight from the start. Learning to use the static and then having to spend hundreds of games to re-learn how to aim if you make the switch later is not fun.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

:shrug: I don't know maybe i'll have to dick around with the dynamic sight more but for the most part 1:1 for BBs 2:1 for CAs and 3:1 for DDs is pretty easy. You start adding notches here and there based upon if they're sailing away or towards you as well as high tier vs lower tiers. Fuso+ need more lead and the same with Bayern and up. French CAs basically get 2 to 2.5x notches (3x for the t5) for me translating the information the HUD is showing me into decent shots is part of the fun. That said I'm not Antonio good so :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I've always used the default crosshairs and never counted notches. I only use them for help determining relative angles, not speed, and I have an main battery hit percentage of 39% across 3,500 games. This isn't intended to be a brag post, but I often see people get hung up on fancy crosshairs when they become more of a crutch.