Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Interesting. So in playtest was there an "any color" casting component or was everything full devotion all the time?

Umm, not sure what you are saying. 2U pre-alpha is the exact same as 1U in print. It was just that the number in front was the CMC and the letters represented colored costs, so you had to math it our every time which they realized was dumb, so they fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Madmarker posted:

no, you are misunderstanding.

2U in ABU playtesting was equivalent in modern parlance to 1U

in ABU playtesting 2UU would be equivalent to UU

Okay I see why they changed it. :v:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Never forget:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Vraska's Conquistador might be Standard playable (with the good Vraska obviously).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Huh, Vraska is a aligned with vampires now?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
So like.

Is that itsy-bitsy inclusivity video all WotC is doing in response to HQ, or are they actually going to do something about him? Far as I can see, he has all of his social media outlets going just as strong as before, if not stronger due to the influx of fedoras he has supporting him. He has endless amounts of content bitching about everything, but I'm not interested in listening to his vocal diarrhea.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Never forget:

Since ABU didn't seem designed with 3+ players in mind, this is functionally just a red timewalk.

Or a really direct and unanswerable turn one win. :v:

It would be a fun excercise to template these in the modern parlance.

"Whenever target player would begin their next turn, skip that turn instead."?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lone Goat posted:

Huh, Vraska is a aligned with vampires now?

Well Vraska's probably not going to be in RIX, so it's probably just a semi-random card. Nissa was UG in Amonkhet, but had a HOU intro card that was mono-green.

Glad to see we loving finally got another Rakdos Planeswalker though. The only other one is Sarkhan the Mad from 7 years ago.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sickening posted:

Well, you are going to have to compromise. Womp womp.

that's not compromise, compromise involves meeting in the middle, this is me just having to do something i dont enjoy, so i probably won't use it. sucks but oh well

e for the record modo's stupid cash to fun money to cards system is also poo poo but i've dealt with it in the past to buy cards

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 5, 2017

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Tainen posted:

But like Reid and Huey were joking right...

Sadly no. He made an EV calculation about how much his deck would improve with a Burst Lightning vs. being able to attend more GPs during the year. And he was pretty much universally shat upon by the pro community, who suddenly were less concerned about "value" and for some reason unsympathetic to his argument of "I still have to buy my own plane tickets."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Since ABU didn't seem designed with 3+ players in mind, this is functionally just a red timewalk.

I don’t think you understand. It means they lose the game the next turn.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

You may like this link. Sorry about your productivity.

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/955-rarities-alpha-beta-gamma-playtest-cards-english-cards-index.html

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I don’t think you understand. It means they lose the game the next turn.

Seems like a good build-around. Could see play in draft.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone who says that they wouldn't grab a goyf in a draft even if they didn't need it is a tremendous liar.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

that's not compromise, compromise involves meeting in the middle, this is me just having to do something i dont enjoy, so i probably won't use it. sucks but oh well

You get packs (buy or win) to randomly get cards. You then craft, getting exactly what you want (not random). How much more in the middle can you get?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Tainen posted:

But like Reid and Huey were joking right...

Nope. Apparently even trivial mis-steps are enough for Huey to lose the entirety of his respect for a fellow human being.

(Obviously Huey probably didn't literally lose all respect for Pascal for that Goyf decision, but I find that phrase to be comically over-the-top considering how often people use it)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Matsuri posted:

Anyone who says that they wouldn't grab a goyf in a draft even if they didn't need it is a tremendous liar.

Didn't it end up selling for 5 figures?

poo poo, I'll relentlessly raredraft a 10 dollar card and lie to myself that I might splash for it before stuffing it right into the binder.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I won't even lie. I'll just be like "well drat, score" and snap it right up.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

can you imagine being that much of a loser to "devote your life" to a childrens card game
edit: reid puke

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yes it turns out that weird nerds dedicating themselves to an insular hobby suck a lot of the time

LSVs most impressive achievement is that he is as good at the game as he is and doesn't puke onto his shoes when confronted with having to talk to another human being

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

can you imagine being that much of a loser to "devote your life" to a childrens card game

The best response was “now you know how your parents feel.”

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

hahahaha yeah id hate to be that guy comma he says as he eyes the stacks of magic cards and bigger stacks of comics

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

hahahaha yeah id hate to be that guy comma he says as he eyes the stacks of magic cards and bigger stacks of comics

*in an affected nerd voice that is actually identical to my real voice*
"haha yea look at me I'm kind of loser who devotes his limited time on this dumb earth to goony ephemera--"*breaks off sobbing*

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

Maro needs to be make a 6th psychographic for the #mtgfinance glorbs

Mammon, I believe.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Comics at least burn nicer and easier, for when we need it for nuclear winter

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Could you imagine being a big enough nerd that you'd post hundreds of times about a children's card game on a forum that you paid :10bux: to post on? I mean ha ha ha that'd be so embarassing.

We could really use some Black POTUS or Lottery of Babylon posts right now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe some RIXN spoilers jucier than the fixed Planeswalkers.

drat can't believe I cracked the top ten only having started :justpost: ing around IXN.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 5, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Maybe some IXN spoilers jucier than the fixed Planeswalkers.

drat can't believe I cracked the top ten only having started :justpost: ing around IXN.

You're a quality poster. And also a quantity poster.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hellsau posted:

Could you imagine being a big enough nerd that you'd post hundreds of times about a children's card game on a forum that you paid :10bux: to post on? I mean ha ha ha that'd be so embarassing.

We could really use some Black POTUS or Lottery of Babylon posts right now.

How the hell do I post more than Angry Grimace, and without some gimmick like demon-posting on page 666 to inflate it!?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I was trading with a black guy the other day and paging through his binder I'm like "I'm interested in this Mass Calcify for my Avacyn EDH." And he replies "Remind me what that card does again?" ... :whitewater:

It makes Angry Mob less angry.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I just put 20 +1/+1 counters on a Carnage Tyrant :allears:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PJOmega posted:

It makes Angry Mob less angry.

Angry Mob gets pumped by swamps rather than non-white creatures, though honestly the version you are remembering seems like a better flavor fit.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Inclusion, except if you draft a goyf.

Gender/sexuality/race based discrimination is different from dumb codes of nerd ethics, especially if it's between cis white dudes.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Gender/sexuality/race based discrimination is different from dumb codes of nerd ethics, especially if it's between cis white dudes.

How dare you! Mr Jenson is a gay man!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tainen posted:

Who lost to my friend at a gp once, that's my Jenson story

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Tainen posted:

Really glad I hedged my bets and didn't include straight.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Turning all your creatures into Phage is a fun and cool ultimate.

TIL that at some point in early ABU playtesting Timewalk was 2U and read in the modern parlance: "As an additional cost to casting timewalk, sacrifice an island," and they evidently decided it wasn't powerful enough. I followed the rabbit hole of looking at how the alpha playtest looked when I saw a storefront selling a card ostensibly from that "set" of construction paper and clip art cards.

Original playtest cards had a different mana cost formatting where "2U" meant "2 mana, one of which must be U". If you look up alpha playtest cards there's "Angel" which is a 4/4 flying that doesn't tap on attacks for "5WW".

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Martin Luther King, Jr. would have fought for the civil rights of red players if he saw how Wizards of the Coast discriminated against them by printing snap caster mage in blue.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Coolest Vraska art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Sure they may have chased Sprankle out for being a woman, but let me tell you why the real exclusionary behavior in Magic: the Gathering is some net decking rear end in a top hat casting a counterspell on my cool dinosaur cards.