Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Ya know lore-wise the Aghol and Mung should be horse-archer armies, as they're completely separate cultures from the Norse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

With a name as sweet as Mung, they can be whoever they want!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kainser posted:

Possibly the greatest mod since the deformed kislev bears:

Those chariots aren't being ridden by skinks. :colbert:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZeusJupitar posted:

Ya know lore-wise the Aghol and Mung should be horse-archer armies, as they're completely separate cultures from the Norse.

So should the Kurgan and most of the Marauders, but it's never been that way in the tabletop game either. They're all steppe people raiders except the Norse but the actual Chaos armies never have steppe archers.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

New Butt Order posted:

So did all of you guys having complete mental breakdowns right now just not read the preorder bonus before you got it? All the marketing clearly said you were getting DLC for the first game and CA never hid the fact that the Norsca would be coming late to ME. Like, yeah, I'm not exactly thrilled about having to wait until loving May either, but acting like you never received your pre-order bonus or that CA did some sort of bait and switch are either illiterate or willfully ignorant.

nobody is having a breakdown people would just like the game to be fun.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

fargom posted:

Lol yeah it's pretty normal for "coming late" to be 8 months later. Get out of here with that poo poo. It's clear the CA hosed up very very badly, trying to do far more at once than their studio could handle. It's perfectly reasonable to be "mad bout games" in this scenario.

They are releasing Norsca this late due to extreme mismanagement that should probably cause someone to lose their job, likely whoever the gently caress approved their "merge it later" strategy.
I'm not saying everybody should be happy about it, just the people having complete mental breakdowns and claiming they never got their DLC are just lying to themselves.

I also wouldn't be surprised if someone lost their job over this. "We basically have to rebuild this whole thing from scratch" is a hell of a fuckup. That's a lot of time and money being spent for a DLC that they're probably not going to be selling that much more of anyway. Nobody in management's going to be happy about that. Other studios would have probably just scrapped it altogether.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 5, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gay Horney posted:

gently caress that!!!!!!!!!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Norsca news is disappointing, but I guess that's the price they pay for biting off so much in one chunk. Whatever, so long as we eventually end up with Norsca, I'm good. Give me Tomb Kings, CA, and don't gently caress it up.

I do have to appreciate that they're actually not bullshitting us here. Yeah, it's disappointing, but at least they're not just stringing us along with pure marketing bullshit. They're admitting to loving up, owning it, taking the flak, and setting the record straight on how they plan to unfuck things. That does take balls, especially when dealing with video game nerds.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 5, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gay Horney posted:

lemme get this straight. CA...

-released a fully functional, standalone base game on launch
-quickly released a megacampaign including all of the new races plus most of the old ones (for a total of 12?) on a fuckhuge map
-DOOMWHEELS
-but they didn't include 1 race that they sold as DLC for the first game
-and it will take them a while to put it in because they programmed themselves into a black hole

game is no loving fun, guys.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
game is good but still, lol at everything about this gently caress up

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

LuiCypher posted:

-but they didn't include 1 race that they sold as DLC for the first game
-and it will take them a while to put it in because they programmed themselves into a black hole

This isn't the entirety of people's complaints about WH2, and I'm sure you know that.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gay Horney posted:

Playing malekith morathi any of the chaos guys is a really horrible experience right now. Norsca plays way too big a role on the map to have basic stacks full of 18 marauders. Renders the north half of the map unplayable. The vortex campaign doesn't really appeal to me

Use this mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1182733930

It nerfs Norscan income down to a trickle and makes them more or less harmless on the ME map.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

New Butt Order posted:

I'm not saying everybody should be happy about it, just the people having complete mental breakdowns and claiming they never got their DLC are just lying to themselves.

Yeah nobody said that. I'm just frustrated that what I view as a critical fix that affects the play experience of many other factions was delayed for a very long time, and think the 'it's just DLC for game 1 you guys' argument is a copout. I'm aware that they're playable in another game I own, and might just play that game for a while instead since it's in a much better state, but I didn't think I'd have to make that compromise for most of a year after release when I preordered. I don't think CA acted maliciously here, so I'm not loving furious or anything, or demanding a refund, it just sucks.

I'm not making any promises not to buy DLC when it comes out, because it might sound fun to me when it does, but Norsca not being in the game does make me less excited about spending more money on this game now when I kind of regret buying at full price already instead of waiting for the game to be worked on more. I don't usually preorder, and am cheap enough about games that I usually wait for sales, but TW1 being in such good shape made me think it was pretty safe this time.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 5, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

sassassin posted:

This isn't the entirety of people's complaints about WH2, and I'm sure you know that.

Of course, but when you have posts like this:

Mans posted:

Yeah, Warhammer 2 has been a confirmed failure on their part and it's been showing.

It's absolutely baffling how terrible the AI is compared to the first, how the mortal empires campaign was and still is a barely functioning mess, the game was a literal balance and patching backstep compared to the first and now DLC that you bought as a pre-order has been delayed to May, but of course if you want you can pay twenty euros for a DLC faction in January. So generous!

And this:

Gay Horney posted:

I definitely will not be buying any dlc til the dlc I paid for is in the game. Six months before dark elves chaos and Norsca are playable? I had such high expectations but I forgot that this is still CA.

Over Norsca of all things, then it's time to take a step back and say:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

game is good but still, lol at everything about this gently caress up

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Lmao that not buying dlc is indicative of some sort of breakdown

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah sorry but the "game is abysmal failure" post is one complaint about sandals away from being peak twc.

I am disappointed but christ, game is fun and good

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gay Horney posted:

Lmao that not buying dlc is indicative of some sort of breakdown

If you don't pay full price you're a snowflake.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
cod2boycott.jpg

feller
Jul 5, 2006

LuiCypher posted:

Of course, but when you have posts like this:

And this:

Over Norsca of all things, then it's time to take a step back and say:

Yes the game is fun, but it’s also okay to not spend money on games if you don’t want to.

I’m still going to buy Tomb Kings, but I was rather looking forward to norsca in ME. It seems like their campaign will be even more fun with more kinds of elves to kill and it was my favorite WH1 campaigns by a lot. I can understand why people are annoyed.

feller fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 6, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The things that Norsca replaces are some of the biggest problems with both campaigns.

It would be like if the desert vampire tribes were obnoxiously powerful swarming assholes and they pushed Tomb Kings back (which they've already done).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, Norsca fixes the Chaos campaign through the easy vassalization thingie giving them backup homies and some background income; and they fix old Norsca being the most annoying faction to engage in the campaign and the battlemap, giving you instead a fun faction with varied units that is not sending you a doomstack every other turn.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
i am half considering reinstalling the first Warhammer just because I hardly got to play Norsca before 2's release and May is pretty far off.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

sassassin posted:

The things that Norsca replaces are some of the biggest problems with both campaigns

I'll agree with that, I've been playing with a neutered Norsca mod in ME the second hey started rolling out.

Even then, I don't know of they're as bad as WH1 Norsca if only because they can actually capture territory now. In WH1 the whole map is reduced to ash before the midgame, in ME at least there's something to fight, even if it's just Norsca.

I'm kind of curious as to what's so different about Vortex that keeps them contained. My hypothesis it's that their main foe are HElves who crush them in autoresolve.

peer posted:

i am half considering reinstalling the first Warhammer just because I hardly got to play Norsca before 2's release and May is pretty far off.

You should. I absolutely despise Norsca and everything else affiliated with Chaos in both Warhammer and 40k and even I'll admit that the Norsca campaign is real fuckin good.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 6, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, that easy is very hard and very hard is easy thing, is there a fix patch for it? does it effect legendary campaigns? has this been in effect for awhile?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

New Butt Order posted:

You should. I absolutely despise Norsca and everything else affiliated with Chaos in both Warhammer and 40k and even I'll admit that the Norsca campaign is real fuckin good.

Yeah, when they were announced I was like "Eww", because I find Chaos the least interesting element of both Warhammers and I don't care for Vikings either, and I'd still say the Norscan campaign is the best designed one CA has ever done.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Zore posted:

Lore of Life healing was nerfed across the board.

It hurt Bretonnia the worst since they don't have any other good lores of magic while everyone else does, or has a caster with combined lores.

I thought Heavens was good now. Maybe not top tier but you can gently caress some people up with comets and lightning, wind blast can wreck fodder and the buff/debuff spells are nice.

Or is it just that Teclis and Mazdamundi make it look good.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tbf Teclis’ net + lightning combo is part of what makes heavens seem so drat good.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, that easy is very hard and very hard is easy thing, is there a fix patch for it? does it effect legendary campaigns? has this been in effect for awhile?
Load up your very hard campaign and set the battle difficulty to easy. Should do it.

I must be dumb, or just not thinking well. There's an achievement for owning three Thriving Elven Colonies, which is the t5 version. The problem is, in the Vortex campaign I can only see two provinces that have a capital marked by a colony: one near where the Fortress of Dusk starts, and one being Tor Elasar. There are other, scattered t3 minor colonies everwhere, but no t5s. Am I missing the third, or is just not possible to get this achievement in the Vortex campaign?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ravenfood posted:

Load up your very hard campaign and set the battle difficulty to easy. Should do it.

I must be dumb, or just not thinking well. There's an achievement for owning three Thriving Elven Colonies, which is the t5 version. The problem is, in the Vortex campaign I can only see two provinces that have a capital marked by a colony: one near where the Fortress of Dusk starts, and one being Tor Elasar. There are other, scattered t3 minor colonies everwhere, but no t5s. Am I missing the third, or is just not possible to get this achievement in the Vortex campaign?

I think it’s Teclis’ starting island

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

New Butt Order posted:

I'm kind of curious as to what's so different about Vortex that keeps them contained. My hypothesis it's that their main foe are HElves who crush them in autoresolve.

They tend to annihilate Yvresse, Cothique and Chrace (if they survive the first Scourge of Kaine onslaught). Tyrion specifically is the brick wall they can't break down with numbers.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Senor Dog posted:

it’s also okay to not spend money on games if you don’t want to.

Yeah, that's a pretty reasonable stance - can't/don't want to argue with it.

I think it's also reasonable to be disappointed that they have to take a lot of extra time to implement one of the best campaigns that they designed - ironically, the reason why it's so well-designed is because they didn't bother to think about integrating it into TWW2 and just let it be its own thing without oversight - as they said, it has a lot of 'bespoke code' that's not at all present in TWW2.

I just find it hilarious when people start calling TWW2 a poo poo game over something that, in the big picture, is really just a minor inconvenience compared to what you're actually getting. Ultimately, what's already there is a great and solid product. Moreover, Norsca isn't a part of base TWW2 - the Vortex Campaign and four (soon to be five) new races are. Mortal Empires and all the TWW1 races (including Norsca) are just a bonus. However, since it's something they've always promised the players since the first game, it's fine to try to hold them accountable to their own promises. They're certainly trying to live up to them.

In the grand scheme of game developers though, CA is pretty loving good. They've provided a lot of Free-LC for TWW, and will continue to do so - ME is one such example, and they'll continue to polish it over time. Their race packs (aside from WoC), though seemingly pricey, are pretty fair considering the work that goes into them and the fact that they keep trying to push themselves creatively in campaign design with each new race. Still doesn't change the fact that it sucks rear end that they let Norsca get out of hand and it's going to take a shitload of work to program themselves out of that black hole. But the game is still fun and good, and I'm definitely looking forward to Tomb Kings.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nephthys posted:

I thought Heavens was good now. Maybe not top tier but you can gently caress some people up with comets and lightning, wind blast can wreck fodder and the buff/debuff spells are nice.

Or is it just that Teclis and Mazdamundi make it look good.

Heavens is pretty good. I honestly forgot Brets had it, I thought they were Life/Beast locked.

No one seems to bring it right now with them even though its pretty rampant with Lizard right now.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Sinteres posted:

Yeah nobody said that. I'm just frustrated that what I view as a critical fix that affects the play experience of many other factions was delayed for a very long time, and think the 'it's just DLC for game 1 you guys' argument is a copout. I'm aware that they're playable in another game I own, and might just play that game for a while instead since it's in a much better state, but I didn't think I'd have to make that compromise for most of a year after release when I preordered. I don't think CA acted maliciously here, so I'm not loving furious or anything, or demanding a refund, it just sucks.

I'm not making any promises not to buy DLC when it comes out, because it might sound fun to me when it does, but Norsca not being in the game does make me less excited about spending more money on this game now when I kind of regret buying at full price already instead of waiting for the game to be worked on more. I don't usually preorder, and am cheap enough about games that I usually wait for sales, but TW1 being in such good shape made me think it was pretty safe this time.

Stop being loving reasonable man. You either have to rage or white knight! Didn't you know?

But, seriously, this is probably the adult stance. Yes, it sucks. Yes, it's pretty unreasonable. However, it's not completely rage inducing. The game is playable. It's easily fixed with mods that are free. It's mildly annoying, and if this is the most money you've ever spent and not going EXACTLY what you wanted, then consider yourself very lucky.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

I only have legendary campaigns going on right now, I don't remember if legendary has it's own thing or if it uses the very hard effect, will legendary campaigns actually be easier then very hard?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Legendary defaults to very hard battle difficulty, or your last battle difficult if you changed it manually at any point.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Ravenfood posted:

Teclis' starting position in the Vortex campaign is an Elven Colony major settlement, as I recall.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

LuiCypher posted:

Ultimately, what's already there is a great and solid product.

It's another 6-9 months from being a great or solid product.

Thinking of ME as "Free-LC" seems disingenuous when the combined map was a major part of their sales pitch for this game. It isn't an extra bonus they're throwing in out of the goodness of their hearts, this is what they were asking people to pay for.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

sassassin posted:

It's another 6-9 months from being a great or solid product.

Thinking of ME as "Free-LC" seems disingenuous when the combined map was a major part of their sales pitch for this game. It isn't an extra bonus they're throwing in out of the goodness of their hearts, this is what they were asking people to pay for.

Yeah I wouldn't have bought game 2 at full price if it wasn't for ME.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Senor Dog posted:

Yeah I wouldn't have bought game 2 at full price if it wasn't for ME.

Completely agreed, ME was a main selling point of game 2. It's not a bonus, FLC, or extra, it was a primary game mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The Vortex Campaign is the weird DLC mode we got as an extra for buying the 4 race pack for WH1.