Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Moriatti posted:

I don't think Tarantino is a good fit for the franchise. His stories tend to focus on Vices, violence and revenge. It's hard to see that working well in Trek. Trek characters don't quip, and consider violence to be a last resort.

I think people vastly over-estimate how hard it is to write for Trek, based on how clannish Trek writing became in the Berman era. The Trek writing table needs more good and accomplished writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tarantino's favorite moment in Star Trek is in The Undiscovered Country. I'll let you guess what

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Tarantino's favorite moment in Star Trek is in The Undiscovered Country. I'll let you guess what

Probably when Spock says "go to hell ... if I were human."

Edit: Or did I get whooshed and the joke is Crewman Dax

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Trek's easy, Trekkies are hard. There's a tone you have to hit, and if you miss it it's not Trek, and if you hit it it's a boring retread.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Timby posted:

Probably when Spock says "go to hell ... if I were human."

Edit: Or did I get whooshed and the joke is Crewman Dax

Yep
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/File:Dax%27s_feet.jpg

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Trekkies are hard.

:quagmire:

vvv If you're going to be like that I retract my emoji vvv

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 5, 2017

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

:aatrek:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Trek's easy, Trekkies are hard. There's a tone you have to hit, and if you miss it it's not Trek, and if you hit it it's a boring retread.

The generally-acknowledged best Star Trek films (II, IV, and VI) are the least "standard Trek" films. Trekkies don't really know what the gently caress they want, but they do want good writing. "Good writing" being the thing Trek consistently has had a problem with throughout the ages.

"Trek must only be X things" is nonsense put in place by Roddenberry, who was always a terrible writer and during most of TNG was hopelessly senile, and then it was carried on by Berman, who is now widely regarded as having dealt lasting damage to the IP at almost every step of the way, to the point that good Trek exists almost in spite of him.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

If they let a different good director do a non-canon standalone Trek movie every couple years playing around with whatever details of the franchise they wanted to, that could be really fun. I dont' need Tarantino to be the standard-bearer of canonical Trek, but I also don't necessarily need canonical Trek to be a happy and well-adjusted person. Let Wes Anderson make a Trek of little doll house ships. A Wong-Kar Wai Trek of beautiful, stifled yearning.

They already did that, Nemesis, the JJ trek movies, Discovery. Weird totally non-canon bits that are sadly generally pretty bad on their own and horrible as trek.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

They already did that, Nemesis, the JJ trek movies, Discovery. Weird totally non-canon bits that are sadly generally pretty bad on their own and horrible as trek.

....you're seriously trying to claim that Nemesis had a good director?

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Abrams certainly isn't a director of the first water

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I like to hope that Tarantino would see this as a challenge. Think about it. We’ve had nothing but poo poo-to-mediocre Trek for decades now. Maybe he would see it as a clarion call to Do It Right, whatever that means. No Tarantino gimmicks, just pure good filmmaking. Nobody would see it coming and that sounds right up his alley.

We can dream!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

thexerox123 posted:

Oh I missed the "good" part.
I'd love to see a Wes Anderson Trek.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Give me a Jodorowsky Star Trek Before he dies

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Abrams certainly isn't a director of the first water

Abrams has a pretty good style, and least he has a style. Can't say that for Frakes or Nimoy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Windows 98 posted:

Give me a Jodorowsky Star Trek Before he dies

The Holy Asteroid

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Why, yes. What Trek needs is definitely more stories by problematic white men who think they are the authority on race.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

McSpanky posted:

The Holy Asteroid

If you’ve ever seen Jodorowsky’s Dune you would know that Jodorowsky has one amazing and crazy vision of what Sci-Fi should be. It’s a god drat shame he never got to do anything in the genre.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok give me a Taika Waititi Trek then.
"What we do in the Jeffries Tubes"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It would be extra hilarious to do an Axanar MOCKumentary; take all the poo poo the Axanar people scripted out and turn it into a farce.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

It would be extra hilarious to do an Axanar MOCKumentary; take all the poo poo the Axanar people scripted out and turn it into a farce.

What happens when you turn a farce into a farce? Farce squared? Does it cancel out? Dark side of the farce?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Excessive farce.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Too much farce and you end up with a masterpiece.

Never forget the lessons of The Producers.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

thexerox123 posted:

No director could have salvaged Nemesis.

EDIT: oh, derrrrrp. i need to learn to R->C->P

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe two takes Frakes

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Oh I missed the "good" part.
I'd love to see a Wes Anderson Trek.

The non center part of the frame... the final frontier.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The Bloop posted:

On pizza it goes even better with bacon!

The villians sometimes do. It might be interesting to have a movie where the federation ship is only seen as the adversary. It's still Not Trek in the same way as Discovery so far, but it could be interesting.

I never knew how badly I needed an Orion Syndicate movie in my life. DS9 was probably the only Trek iteration that would even try, though, and even then it was well into the show before they were wiling to do episodes that were just straight-up crime movies where the gangsters have goofy masks.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

So after about 8 episodes of TOS I started TNG. While I adore old sci-fi nonsense and love TOS so far my girlfriend (who is a big fan of Orville too) wasn’t too keen on it. TNG is already fantastic too. This first episode is great. Q guy is fantastic.

The first thing out of her mouth when Data spoke was “woah he sounds just like Isaac!”

:v:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You're in luck because the next two episodes of TNG after the pilot are widely considered two of the best the series has to offer.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Oh poo poo. Gene from Layer Cake is in the crew. Nice!!!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

CPColin posted:

You're in luck because the next two episodes of TNG after the pilot are widely considered two of the best the series has to offer.

Oh yeah, "Code of Honor" was so well-received that they hired the writer behind it to write almost the exact same script for Stargate SG-1's 3rd episode as well.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Instant Sunrise posted:

Oh yeah, "Code of Honor" was so well-received that they hired the writer behind it to write almost the exact same script for Stargate SG-1's 3rd episode as well.

Just what Carter needed after her inside/outside line

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This thread is without honor

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

The Naked Time. The Naked Now. I get it. Cool episode so far

Edit:haha I read somewhere about someone taking a shower with their clothes on. Nice.

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 6, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Eye of the Beholder. The cinematography's already calling attention to itself a little with a fade in zoom out, Picard's head emerging into a tight shot, a dutch angle on Geordi, and an interesting tracking POV of Riker and Worf from behind the ladders they're climbing

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

TF you doin Data

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

On it's not Data, it's some guy with the worst forehead in the world

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

God dang

That right there is what all the cold opens should be. I'm actually interested now AND it's obviously related to the rest of the episode.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whew I hope this is actually about what drove that guy, or the consequences of what he did, and not Riker's boo hoo guilt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I like how Picard mentions Starfleet officers have never committed suicide