Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Black Blow Fly was the guy who wrote that 4000 point Ravenwing Tactica I mentioned earlier. He's loving terrible.

I forgot about that weird WOM drama. How petty do you have to be to track down any and all criticism of yourself and THEN pay $10 just to talk poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Uroboros posted:

Except there isn’t? There are additional rules for specific types of terrain, but no all-encompassing rule for charging into terrain against a defending unit.

What the gently caress does this even mean? What is "terrain"? The whole gameboard is terrain by definition, are you advocating for just always making charges harder? Because otherwise, you obviously need specific rules for certain kind of terrain, like obstacles or woods or whatever the gently caress.

re: Psyker chat, a hard limit on Smite would be pretty lame for armies like Grey Knights when that's pretty much their gimmick.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

owns

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Uroboros posted:

This is pretty wrong-headed. Almost every close combat army has ways of getting themselves in combat quickly that definitely didn't have in 8th Edition, and had their mainstay melee units (Ork Boyz, Genestealers, Khorne Berserkers, etc) upped substantially in lethality, providing defending units a way of trying to mitigate this wouldn't be game breaking. I'd almost even say that the lethality of the game in general is a problem in itself, there doesn't seem to be many units that really embody the concept of durability with there being far too many units that have the capability of just deleting even the most durable model/models in a single round.

Defending players do have ways of mitigating, just not necessarily on the per-unit level. Off the top of my head:
1) Heavy infantry like Bulgryn are unlikely to be blendered in one turn.
2) Flamers. I am not charging anything with flamers unless it’s out of range or line of sight or I really have to. It’s going to hurt.
3) Screening units - you will lose a unit, but you get to pick what it is, and presumably you can then blow the crap out of it next turn.

All we’re seeing is the lethality of top tier shooting armies in 7th also applied to close combat armies in 8th. It’s way more level and satisfying now. You could dial everything back, but shooting would also need dialling back. I’m taking Boyz off by the bucketful when DA open up with their assault cannons and re-rolls.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The only surviving regular Lamenter is a Deathwatch dreadnought.

The Lamenters manage to die so often I presume they will just somehow break actual numbers and how they work. Once the last Lamenter dies he will somehow die twice and end up rolling the amount of marines left back to 65535.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

The Lamenters manage to die so often I presume they will just somehow break actual numbers and how they work. Once the last Lamenter dies he will somehow die twice and end up rolling the amount of marines left back to 65535.

The Lamenters were described as still being around although unable to attend the events in the Devastation of Baal and the Blood Angels codex states they'll be one of the successors named in the book.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I don't have archives and it was years ago, but essentially BBF ran an RTT with 3 games at a local store in Tampa. I had to work but WOM went. WOM was the only person who won all three games, but he somehow placed below anyone that would get a prize. WOM asked him about it, and was brushed off with a nonanswer. WOM did some light grumbling here, and BBF suddenly showed up and said that WOM was a terrible player and only won due to luck/cheeze and oh yeah he's a bad painter too. The thread told him to gently caress off.

I later played him in a tournament about a year later, and dominated him despite his blatant cheating (one that sticks out was I asked him to measure my charge range and he said I was like 15" away, then I went over and measured it myself and it was more like 8". Plenty of rolling, claiming success and picking up the dice before I could see too). That was game 2 of the RTT; he then dropped and claimed it was because his friends are throwing him a surprise birthday party.

It wasn't his birthday.

Lol that loving guy. He used to post on Dakka a ton back in the day, he's a total loser.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Return to us Black Blow Fly~

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

bonds0097 posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean? What is "terrain"? The whole gameboard is terrain by definition, are you advocating for just always making charges harder? Because otherwise, you obviously need specific rules for certain kind of terrain, like obstacles or woods or whatever the gently caress.

re: Psyker chat, a hard limit on Smite would be pretty lame for armies like Grey Knights when that's pretty much their gimmick.

Is it that hard to understand? While it is cute and fluffy to give different terrain types different effects it means once again that different tables impart different benefits. It the same issue from 7th where you could get a warlord trait that gave your whole army the ability to ignore the downside of ruins, so if you had a table consisting totally of ruins it was a distinct advantage, while the table that was all hills/woods it meant nothing.

Seriously, you are going to ask "what is terrain?"? Don't be an obtuse moron.

Milotic posted:

Defending players do have ways of mitigating, just not necessarily on the per-unit level. Off the top of my head:
1) Heavy infantry like Bulgryn are unlikely to be blendered in one turn.
2) Flamers. I am not charging anything with flamers unless it’s out of range or line of sight or I really have to. It’s going to hurt.
3) Screening units - you will lose a unit, but you get to pick what it is, and presumably you can then blow the crap out of it next turn.

All we’re seeing is the lethality of top tier shooting armies in 7th also applied to close combat armies in 8th. It’s way more level and satisfying now. You could dial everything back, but shooting would also need dialling back. I’m taking Boyz off by the bucketful when DA open up with their assault cannons and re-rolls.

I am all for toning down shooting, I feel the increase in prices on some of the more visible offenders in the Marine and Guard codex was an attempt at that. I assume removing piles of Orks is literally something that will never change, but there are definite ways to mitigate the losses (Pain Boyz and KFF?). Now you have the option of teleporting them directly into your opponent, and re-roll the charges as a default ability.

Screening units and flamer availability is really army dependent. A couple of regular flamers versus a squad of D-scythes for example. Or Grey Knights not really having access to throw away stuff without dipping into other books.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 5, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm browsing The War Store for gifts for my friends who got me my Tyranids, but I'm at a loss. What's something in the $20-30 range (I don't have a cushy six-figure job like they do unfortunately so $80 box sets are out of my price range) that a 40k player would want but wouldn't necessarily buy for themselves?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

The Deleter posted:

Does anyone remember which White Dwarf had an Ork vs Elysian Drop Trooperrs battle report? I want to copy the paint scheme of the Orks for Dawn of War but I haven't been able to find the issue in forever.

I found the issue! It was White Dwarf 298 with George Dellapina's Orks. They were a lot more ochre and a lot less orange than I remembered. Now I need to figure out how to digitise the drat thing.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Where do I find the fluff around Guilliman's return, the Dark Imperium, all the latest stuff?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Beerdeer posted:

Where do I find the fluff around Guilliman's return, the Dark Imperium, all the latest stuff?

If you're looking for novels the three you want are dark imperium, devastation of bhaal, and watchers of the throne.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm browsing The War Store for gifts for my friends who got me my Tyranids, but I'm at a loss. What's something in the $20-30 range (I don't have a cushy six-figure job like they do unfortunately so $80 box sets are out of my price range) that a 40k player would want but wouldn't necessarily buy for themselves?

What do they play? Are they into painting?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

BJPaskoff posted:

What's something in the $20-30 range that a 40k player would want but wouldn't necessarily buy for themselves?

So very many dice.

What army do they play?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Tau and Ultramarines. They paint but are lazy about doing anything but priming them, except one got an airbrush as a gift so they're doing that. They just use the small Chessex dice like everyone else because it's easy to grab a handful and chuck 'em, are there some fancy well-balanced dice I'm not aware of yet?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

BJPaskoff posted:

Tau and Ultramarines. They paint but are lazy about doing anything but priming them, except one got an airbrush as a gift so they're doing that. They just use the small Chessex dice like everyone else because it's easy to grab a handful and chuck 'em, are there some fancy well-balanced dice I'm not aware of yet?

There are some Smurf themed dice GW do which look alright, but they're the kind with a symbol branded on the 1 instead of the 6 which really gets under some nerds' skin (like me). There's also some generic Marine ones themed around different characters (Libarians, Chaplains, Techmarines and Apothecaries) which roll pretty well and look nice, though I've had complaints of not being able to read them clearly across the table what with the 1's being skulls and the 6's being fancier skulls.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Dice with symbols are an abomination. (Unless they are all symbols, and even then they're a little iffy)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Chessex also makes absurdly large dice up to 50mm, you can probably find some to match your friend's collection.

There's also this MDF ruins set which is becoming an affordable forums favorite.

GW also released a reasonably priced miniatures painting holder handle, IKEA sells great rubberized tape measures, and there's some decent laser pointer type accessories out there.

You could also get lucky on eBay and find some classic OOP models they'd probably appreciate.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Entropy238 posted:

Out of curiosity, do people in this thread tend to prefer fluffy play or more competitive play?

I've only played one game but can't help thinking about different strategies and optimisation. The unit variety and the range of different mechanics is the most attractive thing about getting in to the hobby for me.

It's seems sort of alien to me that you'd try and roll with a crew that's deliberately suboptimal, but maybe high level competitive play is poo poo/boring?

Sometimes it's fun to roll with a non-optimised list, or to try to make up for your list's deficiencies by being a better player.

It depends on the group you play with as well.

I took a non-optimised Primaris list against a fairly tough Deathguard terminator heavy list tonight, but I looked over to the next table and there were three Dreadknights (one with a banner pole for the new Grandmaster dreadknight) so I was glad I wasn't playing that.

Primaris are challenging to play. They haven't got the ability to dish out mortal wounds like some armies, or horde up. Their strength does seem to be plasma weaponry and anti-horde shooting, but against elite forces like Deathguard they struggle. My opponent took the Warlord ability that gives you a 4+ disgustingly resilient, so that was back to back 4++/4++.

I need to look at my Primaris again. The adjustments in Chapter Approved mean Inceptors aren't dogshit anymore, and the plasma ones clock in at 59 points each. But they are much better at hunting MEQs than Terminators. I also need to assemble and use my Redemptor before the EzBuild one comes out and I start rolling two of the things.

Also I used the dice out of my old tin and rolled absolute crap for much of the game. Ho hum.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I'm pretty sure I look into this every edition, but now that we're in 8th and it's a bit easier with vangard detachments, who does a Terminator spam list best? Obviously not looking for tournament winning lists since Terminator spam doesn't do that, just looking for something fun to throw down in a friendly game. I'm also not particular on Chaos vs Loyalists if one of the heretoc factions does it best.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Mef989 posted:

I'm pretty sure I look into this every edition, but now that we're in 8th and it's a bit easier with vangard detachments, who does a Terminator spam list best? Obviously not looking for tournament winning lists since Terminator spam doesn't do that, just looking for something fun to throw down in a friendly game. I'm also not particular on Chaos vs Loyalists if one of the heretoc factions does it best.

Their codex isn't out for another few weeks but my guess is that it will be Dark Angels.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Corrode posted:

Lol that loving guy. He used to post on Dakka a ton back in the day, he's a total loser.

I'm glad I got to play him once.

Not because he is a good person, or that it was a good game. More for the camaraderie.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Another day, another video and review. This time it's the Thermic Plasma Regulators that came out shortly before Necromunda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyF6gkMCqZk

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

BJPaskoff posted:

You should 100% get that Ruin Sector that moths posted but also look at some of the other things by TTCombat

This is a nice fuckoff huge building (one foot tall!) that is also very cheap

Great objective markers

Bunker + barricade set so you can make an aegis defense line

Also all of these things are on eBay so you can just look them up by the same name and find them there and order them easily

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Entropy238 posted:

Out of curiosity, do people in this thread tend to prefer fluffy play or more competitive play?

I've only played one game but can't help thinking about different strategies and optimisation. The unit variety and the range of different mechanics is the most attractive thing about getting in to the hobby for me.

It's seems sort of alien to me that you'd try and roll with a crew that's deliberately suboptimal, but maybe high level competitive play is poo poo/boring?

I play to win, but my army is always based on the models/theme I like the most, regardless of whether it's optimum. I never do the thing of taking cloned squads* for instance.

*All Troops of the same type with the same gear. All Elites likewise. Fast Attack etc.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Swarmlord WIP - just waiting on a couple of paints & more static grass to be delivered, plus finding out if I'll win an auction with full-size boneswords to upgrade his arms:

Pretty sure I spent more time on the terminator so far than the big guy himself. There's a reason I don't play marines... that much edge highlighting would drive me mad.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Excellent choice of chapter to be killed

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So I'm thinking of making a "nice" display board for my duders and I was strolling through a hobby store and came across some wood pieces that I thought would make for good "platforms" and some rose cut outs that fit my armies' theme. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or concerns with the below:

My thoughts, if you can follow the rough sketch, are for a cliff face that runs along the left-rear wall (the back wall about 12-15" high) and then in the corner tapers downwards along the right-rear wall at about the midpoint. A river runs along the cliff face and then there is an opposing bank for about half of the board. I expect to fit at least 5 vehicles and an additional ~50 models.

Embedded in the cliff face would be these platforms. The whole thing is snow themed, so the river would be frozen, and the trees along the back would be snow-flocked evergreens.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 6, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thundercloud posted:

Primaris are challenging to play. They haven't got the ability to dish out mortal wounds like some armies, or horde up. Their strength does seem to be plasma weaponry and anti-horde shooting, but against elite forces like Deathguard they struggle. My opponent took the Warlord ability that gives you a 4+ disgustingly resilient, so that was back to back 4++/4++.

The funny thing is that they're supposed to be designed to take on elite forces.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

goose willis posted:

You should 100% get that Ruin Sector that moths posted but also look at some of the other things by TTCombat

This is a nice fuckoff huge building (one foot tall!) that is also very cheap

Great objective markers

Bunker + barricade set so you can make an aegis defense line

Also all of these things are on eBay so you can just look them up by the same name and find them there and order them easily

Problem is that shipping + exchange rate from the UK to the US is killer.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BJPaskoff posted:

I'd recommend taking a look at the GW Objective kit. It's got some cool pieces that make great objectives and in my experience, is the kind of thing everyone needs but few people make themselves. Plus it's $35, so it's in your price range, albeit at the top end. It also won't have to ship from the UK, though:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40000-objective-markers-2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Even with the exchange rate and shipping from the UK the TTCombat objective marker set will only cost you about thirteen dollars total

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TTCombat-Si-Fi-Gothic-SFGRA003-Gothic-Accessories-great-for-40K/391811439656

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Floppychop posted:

Noble knight games on eBay sells most of these. I picked up the armor kit and gothic sector this week

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Floppychop posted:

Nobleknightgames sells it on eBay

Heh

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Well poo poo, I should have gotten it from them instead of the international seller

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Entropy238 posted:

I play more narrative/fluffy games by choice, because I prefer beerhammer and the local tourney players I've played against are incapable of dialing it back and not being fucklords against someone not up on their meta and willing to drop $300 and spray minimal color on new units every time something gets errata'd or a new list wins a tourney.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Mef989 posted:

Death guard are good for this, especially with their recent price drops, everything gets disgustingly resilient, to make your points go further with a 2+/4++/5+++. Lots of infantry supporting models too. Downside is all the termies are in cataphractii only so once they deepstrike in they are not really going to move again for the rest of the game.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

Right, second go around with my Deathwatch this sunday. 2500 points, and I've managed to not take a foot slogger this time.

Friendly games against a friends mostly Primaris Space Wolves - (he usually runs 2x Repulsors and the SW flyer).

The general idea is to plop everything around the watchmaster for those sweet, sweet rerolls. Also, how good are the Deathwatch Shotguns? Part of me wants to model 10 of them up and stick 10 dudes in a Land Raider.

Yo are you playing that lonewolf40k guy on insta? That's a great looking army.

e: A treat from Dakka - people are trying to argue that GW have TOTALLY hosed UP because Death Company don't have the Death Company keyword. They do, it's just in the "Faction Keywords" line and not the "Keywords" line. Top stuff.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

I play more narrative/fluffy games by choice, because I prefer beerhammer and the local tourney players I've played against are incapable of dialing it back and not being fucklords against someone not up on their meta and willing to drop $300 and spray minimal color on new units every time something gets errata'd or a new list wins a tourney.

Yeah, that's a major part of it too. I can't bear myself to just slap on paint, but I am way too slow a painter as well.