Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bart is going to join the Mickey Mouse Club.

Which is a thing again this year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-HPZfRyK7w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, lines like "Featuring interviews with experiencers, as well as experts and major influencers in the field" seem especially telling. It sounds like like they're trying to get UFO believers to attend the session so they can present an alternative explanation (Jesus!) but they're being really cagey about the language they use so they don't scare them off.

Mostly sounds like they copy pasted their languge from every startup/entrepeneur meet ever.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Who does Disney need to buy for them to release the original version of A New Hope? Because as I recall, one reason why we haven’t seen it is because its rights are owned by three separate studios or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vegetable posted:

Who does Disney need to buy for them to release the original version of A New Hope? Because as I recall, one reason why we haven’t seen it is because its rights are owned by three separate studios or something.

Fox. But that's like item 37 at best for why Disney wants to buy Fox.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

There have been several releases of all the SW films since the Disney buyout, I really doubt there isn't already a working agreement between Fox and Disney.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CelticPredator posted:

I would love Disney forever if they murdered the Simpsons outright. Please kill that show.

You know perfectly well that if Disney got The Simpsons then the show would be forced to never die.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hahaha, yeah. The Simpsons nowadays is as iconic as Mickey Mouse, and guess what else Disney won't let die?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vegetable posted:

As mentioned, that's a red herring; Fox has a stake in any release of A New Hope, original or altered, and IIRC handled most of the distribution for the SW movies for Lucasfilm prior to the Disney buyout.

The most plausible reason is that they don't give a poo poo, followed slightly by "they're worried about having to resubmit the movies to the MPAA and getting slapped with PG-13s for movies that were PG beforehand." Which would be insane from any company other than Disney, but this is Disney, they don't really like acknowledging that their darker stuff exists generally (how often do you see them acknowledge The Black Hole?).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ugh....All the Marvel movies are Pg-13. So are all the POTC movies. Both Star Wars movies they've released have been Pg-13.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, a PG rating for any movie is about as rare as an NC17 nowadays.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Phase 4 of Marvel is building up to AvX then Hickmans run and Secret Wars in Phase 5 and finally a team of Hugh Jackman being himself but called Logan given 100 million to lead Spider-man, Indiana Jones, Donald Duck, Elsa, Tron to fight Darth Vader teaming up with Doctor Doom who is trying to lead a Xenomorph army to take Pandora down.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Casimir Radon posted:

Ugh....All the Marvel movies are Pg-13. So are all the POTC movies. Both Star Wars movies they've released have been Pg-13.

Pulp Fiction was rated R.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Pirates 6: Johnny Depp finds the treasure of Tony Starks armory and black book.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The MSJ posted:

Hahaha, yeah. The Simpsons nowadays is as iconic as Mickey Mouse, and guess what else Disney won't let die?

Kind of an odd comparison, because Disney is really cagey about actually using Mickey Mouse for anything, and doesn't have many long-term series of note since the original shorts. Apparently there's a Mickey cartoon running but I haven't heard anyone talk about it (in contrast to the new DuckTales) so I assume it's forgettably average.

Wouldn't be too surprised if a Disney-owned Simpsons ended up rebooted with a new cast.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Kind of an odd comparison, because Disney is really cagey about actually using Mickey Mouse for anything, and doesn't have many long-term series of note since the original shorts. Apparently there's a Mickey cartoon running but I haven't heard anyone talk about it (in contrast to the new DuckTales) so I assume it's forgettably average.

There's some relatively recent shorts that, from the few I've seen, are really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bElcEMabhoU

Edit: Holy poo poo, 2013? It doesn't feel that long ago.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
There are dozens of new Mickey shorts on their YouTube channel, and they're really funny. Go watch them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

There's some relatively recent shorts that, from the few I've seen, are really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bElcEMabhoU

Edit: Holy poo poo, 2013? It doesn't feel that long ago.

All of the shorts from this run are really great and really bonkers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFeSDN9ApCs

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 6, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, a PG rating for any movie is about as rare as an NC17 nowadays.

I didn't think I'd have to say this explicitly, but if there's two different versions of the OT with different age ratings, that might confuse the poo poo out of parents who want to buy their kids the Star Wars movies. This is, again, negligible to a company that's not absurdly controversy-averse, but Disney is absurdly controversy-averse and the thought of some idiot fundie starting a shitstorm because "they made Star Wars more violent than it was when I was a kid to corrupt our children" is probably not incredibly appealing to them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Donald Duck pissed himself laughing in this.

Also I've yet to hear an explanation of Goofy and Pluto that doesn't make me cringe.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man, that's a very unexpected and DeviantArt ending.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I didn't think I'd have to say this explicitly, but if there's two different versions of the OT with different age ratings, that might confuse the poo poo out of parents who want to buy their kids the Star Wars movies. This is, again, negligible to a company that's not absurdly controversy-averse, but Disney is absurdly controversy-averse and the thought of some idiot fundie starting a shitstorm because "they made Star Wars more violent than it was when I was a kid to corrupt our children" is probably not incredibly appealing to them.
Nothing in TFA was worse than the orig-trig, the biggest controversy about the edits is that it's less violent (hashtag Han shot first). Disney loving owns Pulp Fiction, it's a big company. It's literally only a question of how much money they think they'll make re-releasing an un-edited Star Wars versus how much money and time they'd have to put into it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Skwirl posted:

Donald Duck pissed himself laughing in this.

Also I've yet to hear an explanation of Goofy and Pluto that doesn't make me cringe.

:nms::nms:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The most plausible reason is that they don't give a poo poo, followed slightly by "they're worried about having to resubmit the movies to the MPAA and getting slapped with PG-13s for movies that were PG beforehand." Which would be insane from any company other than Disney, but this is Disney, they don't really like acknowledging that their darker stuff exists generally (how often do you see them acknowledge The Black Hole?).

PG-13 was introduced in 1984. The original trilogy was modified as late as 2011 and remained PG. Doesn't seem like this is a concern.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ignoring the spoiler image which is both terrifying and points to exactly my problem, in the cute photo based on the harness attached to the (actual) dog it's probably a service animal so Goofy shouldn't loving be petting it.

Svensken
May 29, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Ignoring the spoiler image which is both terrifying and points to exactly my problem, in the cute photo based on the harness attached to the (actual) dog it's probably a service animal so Goofy shouldn't loving be petting it.

That's Pluto, you racist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Svensken posted:

That's Pluto, you racist.

Now I'm even more confused, but I stand by my original point, you don't loving pet service animals when they're working.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

PG-13 was introduced in 1984. The original trilogy was modified as late as 2011 and remained PG. Doesn't seem like this is a concern.

I have heard rumors that the main reason Han shooting first was changed in 1997 was because the MPAA were looking at giving the film a PG-13. There is of course no confirmation of this whatsoever so it may be total bullshit, but in theory that could be one thing Fox and Disney would have to consider.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I’m not sure where to ask this but this is the generic catch all thread so here we go.

Are you all seeing LESS 3D showings of movies lately?

If I check all 3 of the nearby theaters (all different chains) they have just a couple of 3D showings of movies. I’m seeing a couple for Coco, one or none for Justice League. Same for Thor. For several years and including this summer it was basically all 3D all day. Not anymore, even during a big holiday weekend like Thanksgiving.

I checked my nearest IMAX theater and there’s no 3D IMAX showings for Star Wars.

I’m not complaining because 3D sucks but I’m just wondering if it’s just my area or the trend now.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Gatts posted:

Phase 4 of Marvel is building up to AvX then Hickmans run and Secret Wars in Phase 5 and finally a team of Hugh Jackman being himself but called Logan given 100 million to lead Spider-man, Indiana Jones, Donald Duck, Elsa, Tron to fight Darth Vader teaming up with Doctor Doom who is trying to lead a Xenomorph army to take Pandora down.

So basically Marvel vs. Capcom.

Speaking of which the cutscenes from the new one basically from a movie length story and is easily more entertaining than Age of Ultron.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

So basically Marvel vs. Capcom.

Oh man. Disney will look to Japan once they have gobbled up all the American entertainment industry.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh man. Disney will look to Japan once they have gobbled up all the American entertainment industry.

Hey that could work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl3HIZuLOFY

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

...I hate to admit you're right.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Man, I forgot how good the new Godzilla was, thanks for reminding me.

There's a pretty neat contrast between it and Shin Godzilla in its depiction of Lizardboy; 2014 was extremely reverent and borderline-obsessed with giving him respect and trying to be The First Good Western 'Zilla, while Shin Godzilla essentially casts him as a disfigured corpse being paraded around by a malevolent parasitic entity.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

'98 was a really good Western Godzilla, it just wasn't a good Western Godzilla

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Now I'm even more confused, but I stand by my original point, you don't loving pet service animals when they're working.

You can pet service dogs so long as you ask permission and their owner says it's okay to.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neurolimal posted:

Man, I forgot how good the new Godzilla was, thanks for reminding me.

There's a pretty neat contrast between it and Shin Godzilla in its depiction of Lizardboy; 2014 was extremely reverent and borderline-obsessed with giving him respect and trying to be The First Good Western 'Zilla, while Shin Godzilla essentially casts him as a disfigured corpse being paraded around by a malevolent parasitic entity.

Godzilla 2014 was stumbling around knocking things over like he was drunk ("Oh poo poo was that your bridge? Sorry dude!") but Shin Gozi was shuffling around like he had a really severe hangover and was trying to hold his head really still because it hurt if he moved it.

In the shooting script he had an even worse hangover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vs4mgm4E4E

He was having a really, really bad day. :smith:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Disney doesn't own Pulp Fiction. Miramax owns Pulp Fiction. Miramax was sold off almost a decade ago. All they did was what they basically did with every Miramax release - operated as a distribution arm through their Buena Vista Film Distribution company and gave some money to anything the Weinsteins wanted, no questions asked, that was below a certain budgetary threshold. Miramax was as hands-off a relationship as the Warner Communications/New Line Cinema relationship was - complete autonomy within this gigantic company.

Qatari entertainment company BeIN Media Group owns Pulp Fiction (and Jackie Brown, and Kill Bill) now.

Really, if you want R-rated Disney films? Good Morning, Vietnam and Pretty Woman, since Touchstone has never been an independently operating company but just Disney's "adult" label for things they felt too much trepidation over letting release under their "golden" family brand.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 6, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Byzantine posted:

The best Western Godzilla, though, in both senses, is still Behemoth, the Sea Monster/The Giant Behemoth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Byzantine posted:

If nothing else I still think it was a really good Godzilla design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Godzilla 2014 was stumbling around knocking things over like he was drunk ("Oh poo poo was that your bridge? Sorry dude!") but Shin Gozi was shuffling around like he had a really severe hangover and was trying to hold his head really still because it hurt if he moved it.

In the shooting script he had an even worse hangover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vs4mgm4E4E

He was having a really, really bad day. :smith:

I had purposely avoided any spoilers for this movie before I saw it, so Shin’s insane 1st form took me by such complete surprise in the theater that I had uncontrollable laughter at how absurd it looked thrashing around in the Tokyo suburbs.

I’m a good way though, the whole film is absurd like that.

• Locked thread